HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Confidence Thread!

Old
04-19-2012, 09:45 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Time to balance out the negative Nancys! I for one feel very confident in the Rangers ability to win this series. I knew Ottawa wasn't going to be a push over, I gave them two wins in the series as my prediction. With that said, all is going as expected, so I'm going Mark Mess in this *****!

We WILL win game 5... AND 6.

Ye of little faith are not welcome in this thread.

So what are you confident about? A particular aspect of our game? Something Ottawa is bound to falter in? Let your confidence be heard. We're the 1 seed, baby!
Not to be a jerk, but what are YOU confident? You're post is rhetoric and doesn't offer any reason to be confident about?

04-19-2012, 09:57 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Of course they can win. But letting a skilled team who feel like they have nothing to lose hang around and gain confidence is recipe for being upset.

You are so right.... that's whats so frustrating.

The team, as far as we know, is healthy. Only missing Hags shouldn't be a deal breaker. So I believe this roster can put forth a much better effort than we saw for the majority of last night.

I believe they can

1. stop the periphery play nonsense and attack the net more

2. crowd Anderson and not make it so easy for him to see the pucks

3. control the play way more with puck possession rather than dump and defend

4. forecheck aggressively

5. Get more pucks to the net 5 on 5 and the PK. It's a cliche' but really, shoot the puck more. Don't wait to sort of win this game when the clock runs out. Go out there and BEAT the other team.

I've seen them do all these things, many times this season.

04-19-2012, 10:00 AM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Quote:
Not to be a jerk, but what are YOU confident? You're post is rhetoric and doesn't offer any reason to be confident about?
We shut them out on their home ice and they don't win game 2 without MDZ kicking it in our own net. That crap isn't happening again. Really game 2 is the sole blemish in this series. You take 1 of 2 on the road and that's a win. The Rangers just did that.

People look at the following stat and argue it as a positive or a negative: Ottawa has not had a lead in this series. If that stat continues Ottawa would have to beat us in OT two more times. Not likely, even with the Rangers bad OT record.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:06 AM
SwedeAmerican

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
the seeds dont mean a damn thing. look at the series objectively, they should be down 3-1 and have been severely outplayed. yes i do lack confidence but what i lack in confidence i gain in objectivity so i wont be surprised when the rangers season is over next week.
I love this team so much...trust me. But as much as I hate to say this, Ottawa is winning this series in 6. I really hope I'm wrong and this isn't coming from a pessimistic point of view. It's coming from realism. This team is being outplayed and doesn't have as much skill as the Sens. Too many players haven't shown up either. Again, I hope I'm wrong and as much as I love the Giants I would totally give up the SB victory so the Rangers can win the Cup...and that's saying A LOT!

SwedeAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:09 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 364
Rangers are in big time danger here, so they need to give everything they have left in the tank like it was game 7 of the Stanley Cup. They will have to slug it out until Hagelin comes back, and if they can pull this out they will also eventually get Zuca back and that should be enough to get them enough scoring to get by. I'd also like to see something built around Kreider so we can see what this kid can really do

My original prediction was Rangers in 7, but I'm hoping in 6

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:16 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Boston lost the first 2 games at home against Montreal last April. Won the next 3. Lost game 6. Won game 7 in OT. Boston played 3 7 game series last spring. TB and VAN were the other 2 series. Its not easy. It wouldn't be a surprise if both Pitt and VAN force a game 7 in their series. A little puck luck is needed. The Rangers are 2-2. 2 out of the next 3 are at home. Its their series to win.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:18 AM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Boston lost the first 2 games at home against Montreal last April. Won the next 3. Lost game 6. Won game 7 in OT. Boston played 3 7 game series last spring. TB and VAN were the other 2 series. Its not easy. It wouldn't be a surprise if both Pitt and VAN force a game 7 in their series. A little puck luck is needed. The Rangers are 2-2. 2 out of the next 3 are at home. Its their series to win.
Great points. Wasn't a cake walk for Boston last year at all.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:20 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
We shut them out on their home ice and they don't win game 2 without MDZ kicking it in our own net. That crap isn't happening again. Really game 2 is the sole blemish in this series. You take 1 of 2 on the road and that's a win. The Rangers just did that.
You don't consider going up 2-0 then giving up three unanswered to be a blemish?

Quote:
People look at the following stat and argue it as a positive or a negative: Ottawa has not had a lead in this series. If that stat continues Ottawa would have to beat us in OT two more times. Not likely, even with the Rangers bad OT record.
More rhetoric.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Riverdale

Being blindly optimistic is just as bad as being unreasonably negative. I stand behind this team always 100%. But this series they have shown no fight. Our offensive troubles are glaring. Gabby, Richards, Cally, Dubi, Stepan, AA all need to step up. The two PP goals last night was a step in the right direction and after that everyone took a nap for 50 minutes.

Is this series over? No, not yet. But it doesn't look good when Boyle is our biggest offensive threat, I mean COME ON.

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:26 AM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

Quote:
You don't consider going up 2-0 then giving up three unanswered to be a blemish?

More rhetoric.
Since they took one game on the road, it's not really as bad as it seems. Sure it would have helped but anytime you take 2 games on the road that's going above and beyond.

Everyone here seems so uncomfortable with the 3 game series home ice situation we're in. I'm not even sweating.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:27 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
But this series they have shown no fight.
You can't say that, they've been fighting their ***** off. The problem is offense, they're lost out there and have no idea how to attack. That's on Tortorella more than anyone else, because he has to make due with the talent he has.

We need Hags back, and eventually Zuca back

Old
04-19-2012, 10:31 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Great points. Wasn't a cake walk for Boston last year at all.
If the Rangers played 3 7 game series,2/3 of the posters would have two broken legs from jumping on and off the bandwagon. Boston fell behind 2-0 again to VAN. They needed Seguin to have a huge game or two in the TB series. He was barely playing. Its never easy. The Rangers weren't going to win 7 straight playoff games like the 1994 team did. Sweeping the Islanders and taking the first 3 against Washington. You never see that today.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:39 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Zuccarello isn't going to return for a while. Hagelin makes the 1st line with Richards and Gaborik go. They have very good chemistry. Hagelin has become an important player. He will be a group II with arb rights in 2013. He won't be cheap. DZ is a group II with no arb rights this July. McD and Hagelin are group IIs with arb rights in 13. Stepan is a group II with no arb rights in 13. Those players won't be cheap to retain.

Old
04-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Srs Business
Look at this graph.

vCash: 50
I'm confident that they can beat the Sens. The team is not confident and that's the problem. If they can scratch and claw their way to a series win against them, then how about a series against an actually good team?

Srs Business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:22 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
If they can scratch and claw their way to a series win against them, then how about a series against an actually good team?
That logic doesn't follow. I guess the Penguins must be one of the worst teams in the league being down 3-1 to the Flyers right? It's all about matchups. Those same Flyers that were up 3-0 on Pittsburgh was 0-6 against the Rangers this year

Old
04-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Zuccarello isn't going to return for a while. Hagelin makes the 1st line with Richards and Gaborik go. They have very good chemistry. Hagelin has become an important player. He will be a group II with arb rights in 2013. He won't be cheap. DZ is a group II with no arb rights this July. McD and Hagelin are group IIs with arb rights in 13. Stepan is a group II with no arb rights in 13. Those players won't be cheap to retain.
Hopefully Stepan will be moved somewhere before then for a player who is not so sensitive to footsteps or traffic . He is too soft like AA and that really hurts us in this series .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:44 AM
haveandare

People, your statements that Ottawa is "definitely going to win in X amount of games" aren't realistic or objective. They're your opinions of future unpredictable events that are necessarily based, at this point, in your personal feelings and opinions about this team and they way they've been playing.

Have whatever opinion you want, but don't pass it off as fact or reality just because its more pessimistic than other peoples. The facts and the reality of this series are that the series is tied 2-2 and either team can win.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:55 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Quote:

this sounds like a response from someone who read the statsheet without watching the games. The only stat that would paint an accurate picture of this series so far would be time of puck possesion. NYR didnt shut out OTT in thier bulding, lundqvist did, they really had no business winning that game. Blame game 2 on MDZ all you want but the fact remains they were getting owned and were hanging on by a thread as it was. This bled into game 3 and the first 2 periods of game 4. So out of a total of 12 periods plus approx 5 mins of combined overtime they have outplayed the opponent in maybe 4 of them, thats the problem.

people want to focus on #1 vs #8. I dont care if its #1 vs columbus, in the playoffs you cant rely solely on your goaltender and wait for Brian Boyle to be your leading scorer and expect to advance. There is more than enough reason to lack confidence regardless of the regular season record which doesnt mean a damn thing right now.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Srs Business
Look at this graph.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
That logic doesn't follow. I guess the Penguins must be one of the worst teams in the league being down 3-1 to the Flyers right? It's all about matchups. Those same Flyers that were up 3-0 on Pittsburgh was 0-6 against the Rangers this year
the logic is spot on. Ottawa is a team we should be able to beat but are struggling because of confidence issues and the normal "we can't score goals when we need to" syndrome. Philly and Pittsburg are both good teams and i don't think anyone should compare that banana sandwich series to anything.

Srs Business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:01 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Confidence level is low.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:17 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
They look tired and they look slow. I'm going to chalk it up to the fact that they're spending too much time in their own zone.
This^.
And why? because too much energy is spent slavishly adhering to Tort's system, which is draining them.

Sure at some point all teams rally, and it helps a LOT we are so poised when we have to play D.
But we play too much D, and expend too much energy doing so.

The first game we lost, when Sens had 5 D for whole game, we should have been able to wear them down. We didn't cause we waste energy.

This is a bigger issue for next year, and
DAMN IT TO FRIGGIN HELL, we MUST get some snipers here who can force the issue (but of course, not overpay for them with our best prospects).

In the mean time we can:
a) vary from Torts system and play smarter, with more chances on offense;
b) turn Kreider loose

Kreider is not showing any shot so far, but his demonstrated skating is certain to increase opportunities.

We are getting Hagelin back after next game.

I give us good, not great, chances at this point right now.

However, if we can dig deep and move past Sens, who to their credit match up well and have played hard, and especially if Philly takes out Pens, we have reason to consider ourselves not shoo-in, but real favorites to get to the finals.

Oh, and one last thing...
Torts, for the love of all that is holy, this is not the time to be experimenting on the lines.

Here is what should be done (generally):
Hagelin Richards Gaborik
Dubi Anisimov Callahan
Feds Stepan Boyle
Kreider Rupp Prust

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:29 PM
vbman09

We had the lead in all 4 games and won 2 of them.

We should have closed this team out but we let them hang around, made dumb mistakes (DZ kicking the puck in) Arties penalty,the Non call on Girardi) and paid the price in OT.

This team has played this way most of the season. We are not skilled enough to win 4-3 or 5-4. This is a defense first team. Ottawa is attacking with 4 and leaving on d man high but we collapse so much we dont take advantage of potential 2-1. With that being said we still have home ice advantage, Hags is back for game 6 and A win on Saturday will get millions of the ledge they are on today.

The loss hurt but to a man that team we root for is not feeling sorry for themselves or giving up.

LGR

vbman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:29 PM
mug25

The Captain is watching...

...do not disappoint.

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

This two day layover may be what the Rangers need.

Get rested. Have a good practice. The extra day may slow the Sens momentum and the Rangers will be home.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:45 PM
segmentation fault

I have confidence that in at least 2 periods of one game the Rangers will score 0 goals.

I'm sorry but the trend is pretty ****** right now. Show me confidence and I will be confident.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote