HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Why do you think Colin Wilson is getting scratched?

Old
04-15-2012, 03:47 PM
PhoneGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Wilson when he was drafted was sold as a two-way forward. A guy that was solid in his half of the ice... I don't see how he wouldn't be able to adapt his game to become a go-to-guy for third-line duties if need be.
You're right, he should be able to, but hasn't done it to date. Some time back when he first started getting scratched, a reporter asked him why he was being scratched. He answered that the coaches said that he needed to work on the details of his game, and then told the reporter that he liked his game and wasn't going to change the way he played.. Don't listen to the coach, then don't be surprised when you don't play.

PhoneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 03:58 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
he probably could if he would try but he has apparently been asked to do so by the coaches and continues to make mistakes....

if we hadn't added AK and Radulov, he'd still be playing, but as it is, he is odd man out
You could make an argument that, if you didn't like Yip and/or Toots game, play Willie on the 3rd and Horny on the 4th. Or, if Trotz wanted to juggle the top lines (which he isn't gonna' do in this series anyway) you could move Rads up, SK to the 3rd, and Willie with Leggy.

We're beating the wings - albeit it's been plenty even - but if you're beating the wings you really gonna' change things?

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:02 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Wilson when he was drafted was sold as a two-way forward. A guy that was solid in his half of the ice... I don't see how he wouldn't be able to adapt his game to become a go-to-guy for third-line duties if need be.
Finley and Krahn were drafted to be a starting NHL goalies, Jessiman and Beach to be NHL power forwards ... draft projections don't always transfer to higher levels of play. His comments during an interview after getting scratched the first time were troubling for me ... a kid on an ELC saying he isn't going to change his game is rarely a good thing when that is what the coaches are demanding from him.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

When Trotz first scratched Wilson and he made those comments, Trotz said it was a tough decision because he was happy with his play, needed to get bodies in the line up. By no means did Wilson indicate there was nothing he would change, but that he was pretty happy with his play.
Does that say he is not "doing what the coaches ask" ,
I am still sure as I have stated before, that this is more than what we think.
Another thing I have mentioned is that I LOVE the way Radulov was playing, but when you play that way, you turn the puck over.....risk/reward. Almost every series I have watched so far has tons of creativity, turnovers, etc. entertaining, but not how the Preds are built.

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 07:39 PM
token grinder

you want to know why wilson isn't playing? failure to adapt. Spaling was a scoring machine. He realized his role was a high energy checker. Bourque, not the same amount of scoring, but realized he was going to be a high energy checker. Now Wilson may be a good power forward with good skill one day, but right now his role would be high energy checker. If he embraced that the last 10-15 games he played in the reg season or in practice, he would be in there.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 07:01 AM
hoosierpred

Wouldn't Willy and Rads be a good line combination?

Here me out here... Rads has played well for us and created lots of scoring chances that we haven't finished. More than anything else, Willy is a guy who can finish. Willy sometimes lacks effectiveness bringing the puck into the zone, but Rads does this pretty well. Both are difficult to knock off the puck and could cycle effectively. If you are worried about defensive responsibilities, give them a defensively responsible center between them. Why wouldn't this work?

hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:09 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierpred View Post
Here me out here... Rads has played well for us and created lots of scoring chances that we haven't finished. More than anything else, Willy is a guy who can finish. Willy sometimes lacks effectiveness bringing the puck into the zone, but Rads does this pretty well. Both are difficult to knock off the puck and could cycle effectively. If you are worried about defensive responsibilities, give them a defensively responsible center between them. Why wouldn't this work?
Which winger is Wilson clearly an upgrade over? Erat? AK? SK? Bourque? Hornqvist?

Old
04-19-2012, 08:28 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Which winger is Wilson clearly an upgrade over? Erat? AK? SK? Bourque? Hornqvist?
all but erat. at least offensively

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:29 AM
PhoneGuy

I think we ought to move Ellis up to the wing position, and make a Wilson-Smith-Ellis line. Hell, while we're at it, make it our first line. They'll score hundreds of goals per game, and we'll win the cup every year. Other teams will forfeit rather than play against them.

(edit: can you tell I grow weary of all the Wilson/Smith/Ellis haranguing?)

Last edited by PhoneGuy: 04-19-2012 at 08:40 AM.
PhoneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:29 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
because for every goal that line scores it would give up 1.5 goals to the other team...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:47 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
all but erat. at least offensively
Highly debatable.

For all of the talk of this great finisher and wonderful offensive presence Wilson is, he was less of an offensive force than Halischuk.

Old
04-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Highly debatable.

For all of the talk of this great finisher and wonderful offensive presence Wilson is, he was less of an offensive force than Halischuk.
I think it is obvious from your precious posts that you are not a fan of Wilson at all.
If you are going to make that statement based on points per minutes played, then you need to add that Erat, SK, AK, Radulov, Fisher and pretty much every Pred forward was not as effective!

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:27 AM
deanwormer

Quote:
Highly debatable.

This. Same goals, few less assists, 5mins less TOI, Willie getting PP duty while Hals got PK duty, plus generally Willie playing with much higher skilled linemates.

The ONLY player that you could argue Willie or Smith over is Yip, and while that's a huge offensive upgrade it's simply a misfit role for either. I hate not seeing Willie play, and kinda' hoping Trotz might give him or Smith a shot in a game 5 where he can protect them with last change. Not betting on it, and really, no one "deserves" to sit. We simply have 14 (or 15 if you wish to count Toots) Fs you could reasonably dress and expect to perform well as a team. We're rolling a pretty effective group right now.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:42 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
I think it is obvious from your precious posts that you are not a fan of Wilson at all.
If you are going to make that statement based on points per minutes played, then you need to add that Erat, SK, AK, Radulov, Fisher and pretty much every Pred forward was not as effective!
Wilson has a ton of talent, but, he is showing a tendency to resist coaching and his statements indicate he wants to play his game, not the team's game. What he has the potential to become if he applies himself and what he currently offers the team are two very different things.

Goals per 60 mins of ES time ... Wilson was 12th of 16 forwards with ten or more games played. Points per 60 mins of ES time he was 13th of 16 with only Spaling, Yip, and McGrattan below him. The numbers back Wilson being the less effective player when compared to the names you listed.

Why is Wilson scratched? He's the 7th best wing choice for the top three lines and there are only 6 slots.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:40 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Wilson has a ton of talent, but, he is showing a tendency to resist coaching and his statements indicate he wants to play his game, not the team's game. What he has the potential to become if he applies himself and what he currently offers the team are two very different things.

Goals per 60 mins of ES time ... Wilson was 12th of 16 forwards with ten or more games played. Points per 60 mins of ES time he was 13th of 16 with only Spaling, Yip, and McGrattan below him. The numbers back Wilson being the less effective player when compared to the names you listed.

Why is Wilson scratched? He's the 7th best wing choice for the top three lines and there are only 6 slots.
When Wilson was on the Spaling/Toots line you said that was our best line at that time now he's not that good. It's not like we are tearing it up offensively and Yip is not making that much of a difference. So if Trotz puts him in then he's good again.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:53 AM
token grinder

lines stagnate. just like games do. He needs to raise his game and play smarter. It starts in practice and then he is going to have to take advantage of his nexy opportunity. Right now, out of all our extra wingers, he is at the bottom. Does he have a better skillset than most? yep, no one will argue that. But is his compete level as high? does he want to win as bad as the others? I say no. All those other guys at some point in their career had to change their games a bit to make it. CWilson isn't going to get by on skills alone. He isn't that skilled. He has to learn to backcheck hard, breakout correctly, and hot the corners harder. Hell, if he went to the corners hard, he would be in over yip I think.

that is what Wilson needs to look at. My suckassery got me passed by Yip. He really should be ashamed.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:56 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
This. Same goals, few less assists, 5mins less TOI, Willie getting PP duty while Hals got PK duty, plus generally Willie playing with much higher skilled linemates.

The ONLY player that you could argue Willie or Smith over is Yip, and while that's a huge offensive upgrade it's simply a misfit role for either. I hate not seeing Willie play, and kinda' hoping Trotz might give him or Smith a shot in a game 5 where he can protect them with last change. Not betting on it, and really, no one "deserves" to sit. We simply have 14 (or 15 if you wish to count Toots) Fs you could reasonably dress and expect to perform well as a team. We're rolling a pretty effective group right now.
When looking at our forwards, Wilson is essentially the odd man out as a top 9 winger and the 6th center behind Smith who took 4x as many draws during the season. The 4th line wingers are Yip, Halischuk, Toots ... and if two of them are out you might see Smith, Wilson or McGrattan back there.

Smith had a great first 15 games of the season where he was nearly a PPG player. Wilson and Toots had a good December. None have been consistent throughout the year and all have lost their jobs to increased depth as Poile brought in pieces for the stretch and playoff runs.

Old
04-19-2012, 11:25 AM
SilasAdams

all i know is that i'd rather have Wilson (or Smith) in than Yip.

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:46 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingintheNorth View Post
all i know is that i'd rather have Wilson (or Smith) in than Yip.
Yip is in as a mucker, grinder, energy guy ... which of those words describes Wilson? Yip's role is not one Wilson is suited for just as Yip isn't suited for a winger slot on a scoring line where Wilson is lost in the shuffle behind Bourque, AK, Erat, Radulov, Hornqvist, and SK.

Wilson has the talent to pass Bourque and possibly SK on the depth chart ... but to do so takes work which he hasn't shown himself willing to do. Being happy with his game has him watching playoff hockey, not participating.

Old
04-19-2012, 11:54 AM
SilasAdams

Quote:
Yip is in as a mucker, grinder, energy guy ... which of those words describes Wilson? Yip's role is not one Wilson is suited for just as Yip isn't suited for a winger slot on a scoring line where Wilson is lost in the shuffle behind Bourque, AK, Erat, Radulov, Hornqvist, and SK.

Wilson has the talent to pass Bourque and possibly SK on the depth chart ... but to do so takes work which he hasn't shown himself willing to do. Being happy with his game has him watching playoff hockey, not participating.
I know but Yip has looked pretty bad this post-season.

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:18 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingintheNorth View Post
I know but Yip has looked pretty bad this post-season.
Yip isn't out there to score or even generate quality chances. He gets to do a little disruption, hopefully cause a little havoc for the Wings, and if necessary can serve on the PK which is handy considering the number of penalties we've taken.

If we're not trying to roll four scoring lines, Wilson simply does not fit in the role Yip is filling. Toots does when he isn't being an idiot. McGrattan does to a degree ... that's it. There are 6 of 8 wing positions where Wilson's skillset fit and they are filled by guys who are outworking and outperforming him right now.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:24 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I don't see the point of having yip in when he gets six minutes of ice time and does absolutely nothing for those six minutes.

And I disagree with your argument about Wilson not being able to play on a fourth line roll.
Remember Tootoo-Spaling-Wilson

Or Ward-Smithson-Wilson?

We all know you hate Wilson but hed be a better choice to have in the lineup than Brandon ****ing Yip

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:25 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

At least put In Smith

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:26 PM
hoosierpred

We'll never know if we don't try to find out.

Quote:
This is a good question, and gets exactly to the point I was tying to make. I think the answer might be "all of them" if Radulov is the partner, and "possibly none of them" if Radulov is not. I very much hoped that AK would have proven to be a more effective finisher for Radulov's creativity, but so far that's not happened. For one game i would like to see:

Fisher center Rads and Willy
Leggy center SK and Erat
Spaling center AK and Borque

Hornquist given a game to rest from the pounding in front of the net. And then rotate Hornquist back in to give other forwards a break.

We have the depth, I suggest we use it.

hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:29 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
This is a good question, and gets exactly to the point I was tying to make. I think the answer might be "all of them" if Radulov is the partner, and "possibly none of them" if Radulov is not. I very much hoped that AK would have proven to be a more effective finisher for Radulov's creativity, but so far that's not happened. For one game i would like to see:

Fisher center Rads and Willy
Leggy center SK and Erat
Spaling center AK and Borque

Hornquist given a game to rest from the pounding in front of the net. And then rotate Hornquist back in to give other forwards a break.

We have the depth, I suggest we use it.

Our depth is why he is sitting.