HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Odds of Schneider being poached via Offer Sheets?

Old
04-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheGiant View Post
You get Schneider under contract and take the Summer to work out a trade for Luongo. They'll go to CS and tell him they want to make a long term deal and that Luongo will be moved. If Luongo refuses they could force their hand by playing him as much as Martin Brochu, or dumping him in the minors.

Bottom line is that Luongo is an elite top 10 goalie. Get him back with a goalie coach that works for him, and in a market where the press is not waiting to inspect every aspect of your life and he'll thrive.

Gillis can't afford NOT to keep CS. It's that simple.
So, what you're saying is Luongo is a headcase who lacks technique that folds under pressure?

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:50 AM
oceanchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Though, if you believe Ed Willes of The Province, it might not be Gillis making the decision. He seemed to believe there's a chance Mike Gillis moves upstairs and becomes president and turns the GM job over to Laurence Gilman or someone else.
could you link that article? I usually read the province everyday but missed that one

oceanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:54 AM
oceanchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
I dont think the Leafs are interested, really.

FWIW Burke said he wants an established veteran goalie to mentor Reimer who can play a minimum of a few years. Hes not looking for another young guy or a last gasp veteran. He wants some middle aged (hockey years) guy.
Toronto makes the playoffs with Luo. Burke has his toes in the fire. He makes this trade if it doesnt cost to much

Old
04-19-2012, 11:57 AM
oceanchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dierks View Post
Poof? It's not that easy. Would anyone claim him on waivers? & how likely is it that you can even trade him without taking a dump back.
How is an offersheet doing a favour for the Canucks? What if the Devils do it.. yes you'll get some picks but they won't be high
poof if no one claims him he gets sent to the minors

Old
04-19-2012, 12:00 PM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
Because the Canucks could very easily make room. Trade Ballard, Raymond, Luongo... done.

Hate to break it to you guys in this thread, but the Canucks make it clear last night that Schneider is NOT the goalie that is going to be traded. Canucks sent a message loud and clear last night... Schneider is the Canucks starter now and for the future. Luongo is going to ask to be traded because there is no way he's going to accept being a 'backup' at his age.
I hope you are ready to accept little to nothing for those assets.

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
There is a flaw for all those Nuck fans saying "We will just sign him and roll with Schneider/Luongo for 1 more year and move Luongo"

Luongo will only be another year older and who knows how his play will be next year ,, His trade value wont increase as he gets older

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:24 PM
silvercanuck

I don't see how an offer sheet would be so bad. If he signs an offer sheet in the 3 million range the Canucks will match. If he signs an offer sheet for more than that the other team will have to give up at least a 1st and 3rd rounder.

Considering that the "experts" on this site don't believe he's worth more than a 1st what's the issue? He'll either sign for a reasonable amount or the Canucks will get more than he's supposedly worth.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
So by your own examples - there's at least another year or two before Stamkos 'peaks' as with the exception of Bure, they're all 23 and 24 in your best year examples.
Sounds about right to me. It wouldn't surprise me if he has a career year next year. It's about the time when it usually happens.

My original point was that Stamkos is currently in the prime years of his career. Get goaltending help now, Tampa's time is now.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
There is a flaw for all those Nuck fans saying "We will just sign him and roll with Schneider/Luongo for 1 more year and move Luongo"

Luongo will only be another year older and who knows how his play will be next year ,, His trade value wont increase as he gets older
I would take a hit on Lu's trade value for another year of the best goalie tandem in the league if it came to that (even though I don't think it will).

Old
04-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

Considering how medicore to awful the blueline (and team defense) has been overall at times defensively this season (at least compared to year's past), I don't see that much of drop-off [if any]. I'd expect Gillis to address the problems with respect to the depth on the right hand side on the D (putting less emphasis on the aging Sami Salo).

For a good part of the 'home stretch' of this year's regular season - the goaltending (Luongo and Schneider) have bailed out the team.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Sounds about right to me. It wouldn't surprise me if he has a career year next year. It's about the time when it usually happens.

My original point was that Stamkos is currently in the prime years of his career. Get goaltending help now, Tampa's time is now.
Sure he may have his peak year soon, doesn mean he's going to fall off the face of the planet a year after that. These guys peak early, doesnt mean they're not valuable contributors after that.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:47 PM
cslebn

Quote:

Just curious but a 34 yr old Jagr with 123 pts doesn't really fit. Same with a 30 yr old Datsyuk at 97 pts.

I'm curious about the comment someone made about Lou being uncomfortable without his goaltending coach. How much truth to this is there? Would this make him accepting a trade to the CBJ (not that I would want him) more likely since Ian Clark is under contract there?

cslebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:49 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

Gillis won't let it get that far. He'll sign him to a 4 year $16 million and trade Luongo at the draft. I think there are teams who are desperate enough for goaltending who would gladly take Luongo's contract.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:00 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Did you watch the game last night? Are you starting to see what us Canucks fans have seen ALL YEAR. The guy has been the definition of consistent. That was a normal performance for him. Also no way he gets offer sheeted. He's gonna be signed long term 12 years 48 million.
First i never denied Schneider skill, what people we disagree mostly is his trade value!

Also, Los angeles have the second worst offensive in the league and easily the worst of any playoff team. They had problem to score all season long. LA had an average of 2.29 goals for per game this season while shooting 30.6 time per games. I dont know how many empty net goal they scored, but the average Saves % of the a goalie vs LA this season was around .925%

im not saying Schneider didnt play well, but playing VS Los angeles made almost every goalies look good this season. I wonder how he would fare vs Pittsburg or The Flyers.

Last edited by palindrom: 04-19-2012 at 02:13 PM.
palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:06 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
I would take a hit on Lu's trade value for another year of the best goalie tandem in the league if it came to that (even though I don't think it will).
St. Louis just cried a little bit after seeing this post, but I digress...

Anyway I think Schneider will ask for (or be offered) around $4-4.5M. Tampa or NJ make obvious candidates for such a move given their needs and that their draft picks shouldn't be lottery picks next year, so losing a 1st and 3rd would be worth it to them.

Would the Canucks match it? Probably, but then they would have two goalies making somewhere around $9.5-10M combined on the books for next year.

Their options at that point would be to play out a season with both of them on the roster, or look at trading one of them (likely Luongo). Given the lack of leverage they would have in their situation, plus the long term contract of Luongo, with declining play and a shaky mentality, I don't think he will return what many Vancouver fans think he would.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Sure he may have his peak year soon, doesn mean he's going to fall off the face of the planet a year after that. These guys peak early, doesnt mean they're not valuable contributors after that.
I never said he would. I said he'll likely maintain a similar level of play for another 5 or 6 years, as per precedent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslebn View Post
Just curious but a 34 yr old Jagr with 123 pts doesn't really fit. Same with a 30 yr old Datsyuk at 97 pts.
Jagr's career year was 149 points as a 23 year old. Jagr's another elite forward with a long, graceful decline. But I agree, Datsyuk is another exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
St. Louis just cried a little bit after seeing this post, but I digress...

Anyway I think Schneider will ask for (or be offered) around $4-4.5M. Tampa or NJ make obvious candidates for such a move given their needs and that their draft picks shouldn't be lottery picks next year, so losing a 1st and 3rd would be worth it to them.

Would the Canucks match it? Probably, but then they would have two goalies making somewhere around $9.5-10M combined on the books for next year.

Their options at that point would be to play out a season with both of them on the roster, or look at trading one of them (likely Luongo). Given the lack of leverage they would have in their situation, plus the long term contract of Luongo, with declining play and a shaky mentality, I don't think he will return what many Vancouver fans think he would.
As did the Bruins I would imagine.

Luongo's trade value is not going to be nearly as high as Schneider's, I agree. I'm hopeful for something along the lines of Malone and Det 1st. for Lu and mid pick. Something like that.

Old
04-19-2012, 02:20 PM
McLotto 97

vCash: 761
Question...If he signs an offer sheet, say 4.5 Mil for 5 years, and Van matches do they only match the $ or do they have to match the $ and the term?

McLotto 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:43 PM
pspot

I wouldn't have a problem with the leafs offer sheeting him all the way up to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd....considering history.

might be worth it just for the battles between Canucks and Leafs fans would be pretty great.

p.s. burke negotiated against himself to a worse deal? at what they paid Kessel it would have only cost a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, is that correct?
at least he still has his morals.

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:41 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Unless Vancouver has got Cory Schneider by the nuts, they don't have any control over whether or not it happens.

As a fan you can only hope he doesn't have the hunger for a starting job in the NHL or millions of dollars a year. But the fact that you or I would never be interested in millions of dollars gives me hope that Schneider will still be Vancouver's backup next season.
There's only a 5 day period for teams to give him a offersheet before 'nucks slam the door on that. Not the easiest thing in the world to come to an agreement in a small window unless the team just overpays.

Remember most offer sheet that don't get matched (i.e. Penner) don't end up being all that good.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote