HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Goaltenders this series

Old
04-19-2012, 11:39 AM
FOD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Im not going to disagree with you, but I will say, we should wait until the playoffs are actually over like the above said, before judging him. I mean, it's not like it was a softy he let in there. That shot by Turris was an insane snipe. Im not really sure what goalies would have even made that save, while be screened also basically by your own player.
I have been saying that for the last 5 playoff season's. As well as he played against the Caps 3 years ago, the Federov goal in OT in Game 7 was top shelf over the glove from not a great angle. In game 2 last year against the Caps the Semin goal in OT was a "bad goal" nobody talked about from the blue line. And then yesterday it was a great shot, but it was a 2 on 2 with O'brien being covered Turris' only play was to shoot. Lundqvist was too far in his net and his glove was much lower than he held it all year. Again he went down early. The result was top shelf over the glove. Eventually he's got to make a save in OT.

FOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:40 AM
alfstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker183 View Post
OK, so the Ottawa fans want to say that Lundquist is "stealing" games, and this is true. In the playoffs, great goaltending wins games. But, one goaltender has been playing like this ALL year (Lundquist), and one is playing WAY over their (statistical) head.

So, enough whining Ottawa, if your goaltender plays closer to how he had played all year long, you're already out.
Three game series now, buckle your seatbelts.

BTW, love the complaints about Staal's "dirty hit", but complete blindness to the high stick. One is open to interpretation, but the high stick offered VISIBLE PROOF, also known as blood.
Umm our goalie is the reason we're in the playoffs... If you watched any sens games in the regular season (which you obviously havent) he stole many games for us that we had no business winning.
Both goalies are great and have played amazing hockey so far this playoffs. I dont know who on the sens are whinning about your goalie winning you games? (isnt that what there supposed to do?) Its a team game and your team has done incredibly at blocking shots and getting in the shooting lanes as much as henriq has.

Please dont look solely at stats as the entire sens team played terrible at the beginning of the year in front of anderson and he shut down teams on multiple occasions where we were being badly outplayed.

Besides Karlsson, Anderson has been the best player for us this year for both the regular season and playoffs.

alfstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
They didn,t lose game 2 or game 4 because of Lundqvist
They didn't 'lose because of Lundqvist', but Anderson outplayed Lundqvist in game 4 last night. If that happens again, we have a problem.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Hank is a mule he is notba winner in the playoff he is out playedvand doesnt steal wins .. He isnt going to be a all time till he steals a series like a vbk or richter did

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 263
the games wouldn't even be going into OT if the team in front of Lundqvist could score a ****ing goal.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Take your homer goggles off.

Anderson has been nothing short of amazing this series.
Just as amazing as all the other no-name goalies the Rangers have made look good.

I'm pretty sure it's us, not them.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOD View Post
Game 2. Robbing Callahan who was alone in front for 10 seconds.

Game 3. Boyle on breakaway.

Game 3. Callahan on breakaway.

Game 4. Staal on re-direct right before Ottawa scores.
Maybe I am a homer, but to me the breakaways were solid saves, not spectacular. Callahan shot it right into his glove and Boyle's was a weak backhand.

I'm just frustrated because better shots would be goals.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion Boy View Post
Maybe I am a homer, but to me the breakaways were solid saves, not spectacular. Callahan shot it right into his glove and Boyle's was a weak backhand.

I'm just frustrated because better shots would be goals.
Backhands are tough. Also, Boyle scored the only goal of Game 3 on a pretty sick backhand in close, did he not?

People here discrediting and disrespecting Craig Anderson obviously don't watch much hockey outside of the Rangers. This is the same guy who was the ONLY reason the Avalanche, as an 8-seed, won two games against the Sharks in the playoffs two years ago. He's a perpetually underrated yet very good goalie who's capable of stealing games, and he has essentially matched Hank save for save in this series.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:
Just as amazing as all the other no-name goalies the Rangers have made look good.

Yeah, we make every goalie look good because we don't have many finishers. Even if we get a chance in a good scoring area, it's usually not a good shot. What's it been, like 3 times now a Ranger player had half the net open, but shot it back across the crease towards Anderson...and of course everyone's yelling "what a save!!" I'm just sitting there thinking, "Did people really not see Fedotenko had half the net to shoot at there?!"

Anderson also gave up a bunch of softies and bad rebound goals this series that people here forget because they were too busy yelling "Yes, Callahan!" (or insert name here)

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:38 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Line Monster View Post
Yeah, we make every goalie look good because we don't have many finishers. Even if we get a chance in a good scoring area, it's usually not a good shot. What's it been, like 3 times now a Ranger player had half the net open, but shot it back across the crease towards Anderson...and of course everyone's yelling "what a save!!" I'm just sitting there thinking, "Did people really not see Fedotenko had half the net to shoot at there?!"

Anderson also gave up a bunch of softies and bad rebound goals this series that people here forget because they were too busy yelling "Yes, Callahan!" (or insert name here)
9 goals in 4 games?

I didn't like Callahain's from Game 1. Stralman's from last night looked more like a knuckeball...other than that this ain't exactly the Flyers-Pens series isn't it? Hank let in a bad one to Gonchar. That's it in my books.

coladin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
9 goals in 4 games?

I didn't like Callahain's from Game 1. Stralman's from last night looked more like a knuckeball...other than that this ain't exactly the Flyers-Pens series isn't it? Hank let in a bad one to Gonchar. That's it in my books.
Gonchar's was stopped and then went in off a skate..

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:52 PM
miker183
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfstheman View Post
Umm our goalie is the reason we're in the playoffs... If you watched any sens games in the regular season (which you obviously havent) he stole many games for us that we had no business winning.
Both goalies are great and have played amazing hockey so far this playoffs. I dont know who on the sens are whinning about your goalie winning you games? (isnt that what there supposed to do?) Its a team game and your team has done incredibly at blocking shots and getting in the shooting lanes as much as henriq has.

Please dont look solely at stats as the entire sens team played terrible at the beginning of the year in front of anderson and he shut down teams on multiple occasions where we were being badly outplayed.

Besides Karlsson, Anderson has been the best player for us this year for both the regular season and playoffs.
This is exactly my point though. Some (maybe most) Sens fans feel like we "got lucky" because Lundquist played so well. Fact is, this is the team that got us to where we are, goalie included. But, if that argument is made, then it is fair for me to ask which goalie is playing better than his season long body of work; and it ain't Lundquist. He has been THAT good all year long.

miker183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:09 PM
alfstheman

Quote:
This is exactly my point though. Some (maybe most) Sens fans feel like we "got lucky" because Lundquist played so well. Fact is, this is the team that got us to where we are, goalie included. But, if that argument is made, then it is fair for me to ask which goalie is playing better than his season long body of work; and it ain't Lundquist. He has been THAT good all year long.
Sure you got lucky lundquist played so well. We got lucky anderson played so good. While there is some luck in hockey to winning games most sens fans arent saying "ohh that win was so fluke bcause Lundquist stopped all our shots"

Both goalies are good and sens fans know that. Goaltending is what makes or breaks playoffs. Look at Boston final series last year, so many times Thomas made saves that could have changed the outcome of the series. You cannot base the opinion of an entire city of fans on a couple of whinny ones. Every city has whinners.

Old
04-19-2012, 01:12 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Quote:
I agree. I think we would both agree of the Hasek years when everyone and their mother said the only reason the Sabres got far was because of Hasek. Were they right? Probably. It is an excuse in my books because the goalie wears the same sweater as everyone else on the team and if you have a stud in nets, well, sucks for everyone else, right? The golaie is only doing his job and hopefully the rest of the team does theirs.

coladin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

We wouldn't even be talking about this right now if the team in front of him remembered that there's 60 minutes in a hockey game, not 7.

Rangers Fail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:29 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:

Anderson's not a no name goalie. Watch more hockey.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:32 PM
alfstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Anderson's not a no name goalie. Watch more hockey.
This.

Anderson has definatly made our team look good (especially in the regular season!). With almost any other goalie we would be a lottery team.

Old
04-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

I know Anderson's not a no name goalie, but the Rangers have been making goalie's look better than they are for a long time now. They needed OT to score 3 on MASON! Varlamov looked like Roy, they gave a goalie playing in his third game his 1st NHL shutout. Fleury looks HORRIBLE against the Flyers, but is impossible to beat when he's playing us. At some point, you have to wonder...is it the goalie, or is it the offense?

Old
04-19-2012, 02:16 PM
94now

Both teams played well in game 4. So it came to Gs to determine the winner. Anderson outplayed Lundqvist, end of story. Move on.

Note: The KT goal was a lucky shot. However, Anderson would have had a better chance to stop it because he doesn't play as deep in the net. For deep-in-the-net goalies top glove side corner is a true killer. Just remeber Fedorov's goal.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:20 PM
OverTheCap

Anderson's had success against the Rangers in his career, so it's not surprising that he's been playing well in this series.

However, he is a beatable goalie and can sometimes give up bad rebounds. Unfortunately, the Rangers have struggled to pounce on rebounds for some time now. They are rarely in the right position, they are either too close to the net or too far away.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:26 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Let's take a look at the OT games Hank has lost, shall we?

4/18/12 @ Ottawa
Turris uses the defenseman as a screen and fires an absolute laser to the top corner. Would have been an incredibly difficult save to make, and I would hazard a guess that that goes in against just about any goalie in any game.

4/14/12 vs. Ottawa
Neil goal. No stick, puck bouncing around. Weird goal, not much blame for the goalie.

4/20/11 vs. Washington
Chimera goal. Obviously not his fault in the slightest.

4/13/11 @ Washington
Semin absolutely rips a one timer on a cross-ice pass. No goalie can be expected to make that save.

5/4/08 @ Pittsburgh
Hossa goal. Broken play ends with the puck on the stick of one of the most dangerous snipers in the game. Might want this one back, but it certainly isn't a "bad goal" by any stretch.

4/13/08 vs. New Jersey
Madden goal. Total fluke, can't blame the goalie.

5/4/07 @ Buffalo
Afinogenov goal. Buffalo on the PP, big point shot with lots of traffic. Could he have made the save? Maybe, but that's not a save you ever expect your goalie to make.

And you want the real kicker? How about this: Henrik has played almost two full games of playoff overtime hockey (about 119 minutes and change), and in that time, his team has given him a grand total of one goal. One goal.

RANGERS =

Last edited by we want cup: 04-19-2012 at 02:40 PM.
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:53 PM
alfstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Both teams played well in game 4. So it came to Gs to determine the winner. Anderson outplayed Lundqvist, end of story. Move on.

Note: The KT goal was a lucky shot. However, Anderson would have had a better chance to stop it because he doesn't play as deep in the net. For deep-in-the-net goalies top glove side corner is a true killer. Just remeber Fedorov's goal.
Lucky how? Is it bcause it went off both the crossbar and post at the same time?

I was at the game and that shot was an absolute lazer beam! Hank may have saved it if he was out more but dunno how it was luck.... If he had saved it, it wuda been a sick save. Quick, hard shot being screened by the defence and top corner.

Luck had nothing to do with it

Old
04-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

I have to say...Turris just sniped it. Came out of nowhere. If Gabby scores a goal like that, this whole board would be going goo-goo-gaga over it. It happens. It just never happens in the Rangers' favor.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Let's take a look at the OT games Hank has lost, shall we?

4/18/12 @ Ottawa
Turris uses the defenseman as a screen and fires an absolute laser to the top corner. Would have been an incredibly difficult save to make, and I would hazard a guess that that goes in against just about any goalie in any game.

4/14/12 vs. Ottawa
Neil goal. No stick, puck bouncing around. Weird goal, not much blame for the goalie.

4/20/11 vs. Washington
Chimera goal. Obviously not his fault in the slightest.

4/13/11 @ Washington
Semin absolutely rips a one timer on a cross-ice pass. No goalie can be expected to make that save.

5/4/08 @ Pittsburgh
Hossa goal. Broken play ends with the puck on the stick of one of the most dangerous snipers in the game. Might want this one back, but it certainly isn't a "bad goal" by any stretch.

4/13/08 vs. New Jersey
Madden goal. Total fluke, can't blame the goalie.

5/4/07 @ Buffalo
Afinogenov goal. Buffalo on the PP, big point shot with lots of traffic. Could he have made the save? Maybe, but that's not a save you ever expect your goalie to make.

And you want the real kicker? How about this: Henrik has played almost two full games of playoff overtime hockey (about 119 minutes and change), and in that time, his team has given him a grand total of one goal. One goal.
When you have to start rationalizing every goal one by one...you're definitely working too hard. Bottom line...you are your record. His record is not good.

It's not against the rules to make a save on a goal that isn't your fault if it goes in. That's what the greats do.

We should still win the series, and Hank will hopefully be a big part of that. We can win the Cup too. But he has to stop the shots in overtime and not give us more reasons to describe why a future goal wasn't his fault.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

1 goal in two hours of OT hockey is JUST PATHETIC, no matter how you spin it. Making it worse is that Michael Roszival is the one who scored it.