HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Low.......why

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2003, 11:09 PM
jeff962b
Respect Demitra

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jeff962b
Low.......why

OK, first off this is not as thread to start some stupid fight. With that said......why play Low?

I watch a lot of hockey, and I am not really sold on the need for an enforcer. Sure if the other teams dresses one fine. But if they don't..........why is Low dressed. I would rather have Panzer or Pohl, hell Varlarmov out there. Low to me is horrid. I can't think he is anything defensively, and well, offensivly just as bad if not worse. So would it hurt having a body like the 3 guys I mentioned in the lineup vs him? Like I said I am a HUGE Blues fan and not trying to piss anyone off. I just wonder everyones take on this.

Example..........

Ana last night for pretend sake does NOT dress Ward. Does Low even need to be there? We have Pronger, Jackman, etc. Enough I think to police. Why not throw another (more) skilled player in his place? I mean if we are playing Colorado and they come with Worrell fine. But that game against LA the other night is a good example in my opinion. Low was not "needed."

Again guys, this is to spark some talk, not to piss anyone off. I just think Low should be used less often (yes less often then he is now)

Old
11-16-2003, 11:50 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff962b
OK, first off this is not as thread to start some stupid fight. With that said......why play Low?

I watch a lot of hockey, and I am not really sold on the need for an enforcer. Sure if the other teams dresses one fine. But if they don't..........why is Low dressed. I would rather have Panzer or Pohl, hell Varlarmov out there. Low to me is horrid. I can't think he is anything defensively, and well, offensivly just as bad if not worse. So would it hurt having a body like the 3 guys I mentioned in the lineup vs him? Like I said I am a HUGE Blues fan and not trying to piss anyone off. I just wonder everyones take on this.

Example..........

Ana last night for pretend sake does NOT dress Ward. Does Low even need to be there? We have Pronger, Jackman, etc. Enough I think to police. Why not throw another (more) skilled player in his place? I mean if we are playing Colorado and they come with Worrell fine. But that game against LA the other night is a good example in my opinion. Low was not "needed."

Again guys, this is to spark some talk, not to piss anyone off. I just think Low should be used less often (yes less often then he is now)
just a couple of things. and I will do my best to keep my huge pro fighting bias out of it.

1. I would rather have Low playing 5 min a night and doing his role than a Prospect like Panzer or Pohl, because they need Ici in Worcester to work on their games. giving them a handful of shifts a night serves no perpose.

2. I think Low's games has improved a lot sure he isnt a goal scorer but he can play a solid up and down the wing game and not really hurt you. He is far from a one dementional goon.

Old
11-17-2003, 03:44 AM
execwrite

There are always going to be fights. You can't have Chris Pronger or Keith Tkachuk breaking bones during a battle. You have to have an enforcer.

Whether Reed Low is the right guy is another question. Steve McLaren is showing a little skill down in Worcester. Maybe he deserves a chance.

Old
11-17-2003, 04:43 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
As I've said before....the more I watch Reed Low, the more I miss Basil "Hands of Stone" McRae.

11-17-2003, 06:45 AM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheRat
1. panzer will never amount to anything at the NHL level.
2. no kids develop playing 5 minutes a night on the 4th line.
4. Pohl probably won't be an NHLer of even the slightest impact, either.
One out of three ain't bad.

Old
11-17-2003, 08:01 AM
trublu16

IceCats kids!!

Hey Rat. Didn't everybody last year say the Boogie would never make it in the NHL. And now he is a big part of this team. Don't discount a player because anything can happen. If I am not mistaken, Pohl, is a very good scorer where ever he goes so why not in the NHL. He could join the guy who would never would make it , Boogie. Got to give the kid a chance before you ship him off to the scrap heap.

Old
11-17-2003, 08:23 AM
Blueski

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
just a couple of things. and I will do my best to keep my huge pro fighting bias out of it.

1. I would rather have Low playing 5 min a night and doing his role than a Prospect like Panzer or Pohl, because they need Ici in Worcester to work on their games. giving them a handful of shifts a night serves no perpose.

2. I think Low's games has improved a lot sure he isnt a goal scorer but he can play a solid up and down the wing game and not really hurt you. He is far from a one dementional goon.
Low's overall game may have improved, but still not enough to warrant being dressed if the other team's enforcer isn't out there.

I do agree that brining up a young guy like Panzer, Pohl, etc. is not the answer, but Martins has shown that he is a dependable player who can contribute on offense and defense. I would rather see him dressed on that 4th line personally.

Mayers, Danton, Drake, Pronger, Jackman, Baron are more than enough toughness out there. KT would too if he would quit using his stick. I like a good fight as much as anyone, but by sitting Low, we don't lose much and actually gain more skill and speed.

Old
11-17-2003, 08:28 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16
Hey Rat. Didn't everybody last year say the Boogie would never make it in the NHL. And now he is a big part of this team.
Well, OK.....last year he was a big part of this team. This year, no one has any idea what to expect when he rejoins the team. Let's hope he's as valuable as he was last season.

Old
11-17-2003, 08:38 AM
puckyou21

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp

I think you hit the hail right on the head with your first statement. It only stagnates the development of the prospects when you throw them on the ice for a few shifts a game. What's worse is that if you were to have someone like Pohl on the ice, how good is he going to be with a few bruisers on his wings. He'll need to be on the ice with finishers.

I agree Low has improved quite a bit, but it still looks to me like he is skating in quicksand. That said, he has vastly improved from when he first showed up.

Old
11-17-2003, 10:35 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arankys
Every team seems to have fans like this always calling for their enforcer to be scratched.
The only thing is, Low isn't consistently filling his role and his skating and hands remind me of Basil McRae late in his career (couldn't skate, couldn't handle the puck, ineffective as a deterrent to the other team). If he were a deterrent, Tkachuk wouldn't have had to go after Davison with a high stick, and Mayers wouldn't have had to finish the job after Tkachuk got tossed.

Old
11-17-2003, 11:39 AM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
I guess your entitled to your opinion. But Pohl has played 1 nhl game, and put up good numbers in the ahl with only 1 pro season under his belt. So i dont know where your coming from- being ready to write him off. And what happened to 3? :p

Old
11-17-2003, 12:06 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arankys
True Low doesnt have too much of a mean streak but i wonder if Quenville is behind that.
Agreed, I dont think Q has ever used one of his tough guys properly. I think when Low scraps he is plenty mean enough and he isnt afraid to throw a solid hit with mean intensions if he can kine someone up IE Scott Hartnell.

Old
11-17-2003, 12:06 PM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
I don't know what your point is in regards to "what happened to number 3?" thing. I don't know, ace, what did happen to number 3?
Due to your typical smarmy "everyone else is an a-hole" attitude, you seem to have overlooked your original post.

Quote:
There is, of course, no number 3. That was his point . . . ace.

Old
11-17-2003, 12:13 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Pohl looked lost in his one NHL game ... even though in Pohl's case it was only one game. He was *that* overmatched. I didn't say I was ready to write him off altogether but I do personally doubt he'll ever be an impact NHLer. He's another Papineau. A classic 'tweener.' ...
Don't think the Papineau-Pohl comparison is valid. Papineau is 5-10, 178 and Pohl is 6-1, 194. Big difference in their styles of play. I agree Papineau is just too small and not strong enough to be a scoring line forward. Pohl has the size and strength, and skill. He just needs more experience.

Old
11-18-2003, 05:10 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
wow, you expressed yourself with an emoticon, how original of you.
The correct response here is, "wow, you're right. I forgot to include the number 3 in my post; I went from 2 to 4. Sorry."

No need to be a dick about it...

PB

Old
11-19-2003, 10:57 AM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
wow, you expressed yourself with an emoticon, how original of you.
Why do you have to be so upset with everyone? You really aren't very nice at all.

Old
11-19-2003, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff962b
I watch a lot of hockey, and I am not really sold on the need for an enforcer.
That line right there says it all. If you're not "sold on the idea" then nothing anyone says here is likely to change your mind.

Old
11-19-2003, 06:31 PM
jeff962b
Respect Demitra

Send a message via AIM to jeff962b
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
That line right there says it all. If you're not "sold on the idea" then nothing anyone says here is likely to change your mind.

Well I just wanted some opinions is all. I respect a lot of opinions from certain guys on these boards. If it was a dumb comment so be it.

Old
11-19-2003, 10:05 PM
LA Blue

Send a message via AIM to LA Blue
As much as I hate seeing Low put pucks everywhere but on net, I still think that line generally does a good job of hemming the other team in their own zone. Low is just a big rock out there thats hard to move in the corners. Whoever replaces him has to have that kind of strength, because though they are scrappy, Danton and Johnson are not very big guys. As far as his "enforcing" goes? Well, that part of his game has pretty much vanished because that role has pretty much vanished in the league anyways. As previously stated, it could also have to do with Q. In the end though, does anyone think Low will actually get a crack at the postseason with this team anyways? Methinksnot.

Matt

Old
11-21-2003, 12:47 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Blue
As much as I hate seeing Low put pucks everywhere but on net, I still think that line generally does a good job of hemming the other team in their own zone. Low is just a big rock out there thats hard to move in the corners. Whoever replaces him has to have that kind of strength, because though they are scrappy, Danton and Johnson are not very big guys. As far as his "enforcing" goes? Well, that part of his game has pretty much vanished because that role has pretty much vanished in the league anyways. As previously stated, it could also have to do with Q. In the end though, does anyone think Low will actually get a crack at the postseason with this team anyways? Methinksnot.

Matt
I agree that he probably wont unless the Instigator rule is removed, but I think he could play a role in the playoffs. He grinds along the boards and allows guys like Danton to be More effective at what they do because he has their backs.

Closed Thread