HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lukowich traded to NJ for 3rd

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

vCash: 500
It's not so much a cap problem as it is a "money down the crapper" problem.

Old
03-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

If you want to talk about "money down the crapper" - wait until Yashin gets assigned to the AHL.....

Old
03-10-2006, 04:49 PM
herecomesdabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
If you want to talk about "money down the crapper" - wait until Yashin gets assigned to the AHL.....
For arguments sake cause some of us have been thinking of such a scenario...for him to collect his salary, he would have to stay down in the AHL for the remaining 4yrs of his contract?...and his salary would not count against the cap?..If the answers to both my questions is YES...then the Isles could free up 100% of his salary towards the cap.

Old
03-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Yes, I believe that both assumptions are correct.

He has five years left on his contract though, not four.

I don't think the Isles have to assign him to the AHL either. He could be sent to the ECHL, and that would still hold true. Let's see how he thinks about retirement once he starts playing for the Augusta Lynx, Greenville Grrrowl, Idaho Steelheads, or Florida Everblades.

Old
03-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
There won't be takers on Mogilny or McGillis because no team is going to want either player on the payroll for next season.
The one thing that the Devils would have going is that both players are only signed through 2007. So if there are teams that miss out on this year's crop of free agents and want a boost for 2006-07 while retaining financial flexibility for the 2007 offseason......

Naturally, it would probably be one of two deals:

A) The Roenick: Mogilny and a draft pick to team X for future considerations

B) The Oscar the Grouch, your garbage for mine: Mogilny to Team X for a player with an equally ugly contract

Old
03-10-2006, 04:59 PM
herecomesdabus

Quote:

I don't think the Isles have to assign him to the AHL either. He could be sent to the ECHL, and that would still hold true. Let's see how he thinks about retirement once he starts playing for the Augusta Lynx, Greenville Grrrowl, Idaho Steelheads, or Florida Everblades.
Thanks...Although I doubt Wang would do it.

Old
03-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
No, Wiemer signed a 3-year deal.
Wiemer signed before the lockout, so he'd be under contract through the 2006-07 season if he signed a 3 year deal with the Flames. On the bright side, that means no more Erik Rasmussen.

Old
03-10-2006, 05:03 PM
boredmale

Quote:

Not sure we could do this but another option would be to ship him off to Russia, get some Russian team to pay part of his contract(i assume we could get them to pay 2-3 million) and have him play there. Would only cost the team 4-5 million and still not be counted against the cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
The one thing that the Devils would have going is that both players are only signed through 2007. So if there are teams that miss out on this year's crop of free agents and want a boost for 2006-07 while retaining financial flexibility for the 2007 offseason......

Naturally, it would probably be one of two deals:

A) The Roenick: Mogilny and a draft pick to team X for future considerations

B) The Oscar the Grouch, your garbage for mine: Mogilny to Team X for a player with an equally ugly contract
If Lou was smart he would call up the caps, give them a good deal to take both Mogilny and Malakhov(who is retired), you might be lucky and have then take them for nothing or you might have to do the Roenick. Either way that avoids any cap issues with those 2.

Old
03-10-2006, 05:04 PM
herecomesdabus

Quote:
Wiemer signed before the lockout, so he'd be under contract through the 2006-07 season if he signed a 3 year deal with the Flames. On the bright side, that means no more Erik Rasmussen.
The lockout yr...does that count as a yr played towards a player's contract?...just to confirm because my understanding is that it does not.

Old
03-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Yep. So NJ's got him for one more year.

Old
03-10-2006, 05:07 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesdabus
The lockout yr...does that count as a yr played towards a player's contract?...just to confirm because my understanding is that it does not.

yes...i'm about 90 percent sure.

Old
03-10-2006, 05:09 PM
herecomesdabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMaiShu
yes...i'm about 90 percent sure.
Yes thanks...I believe it does count...all those players lost that money and a yr on their deals.

Old
03-10-2006, 05:09 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesdabus
It does count, hence why a lockout puts pressure on the players to come to an agreement while in labor negotiations. On the flip side, the players are allowed to use the lockout year as a 'year of service' towards the new free agency guidelines.

Old
03-10-2006, 05:13 PM
herecomesdabus

How about if a player like Yashin retires...I know Palffy retired...what happens to the remaining money on the contract?...does the player collect or does he lose that money?

Closed Thread