Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFAs / Roster Changes / Trades / Qualifying Offers 2012? [VI]

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Vancouver trading Kesler for picks and prospects? Not happening. It would be like the Ducks trading Ryan for picks and prospects... Vancouver is a cup contending team, not looking to rebuild.

Old
04-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
But if Sbisa takes Lydmans spot on the first unit, who takes Sbisa's minutes on the second unit? Fowler - Brookbank isn't really an appealing pairing on the PK IMO. Lydman is too important to us on the defensive end to deal although I do like the idea of Malone next to Getzlaf and Perry.
If Lydman is moved, I think we would definitely add a defenseman in FA, just cheaper then what Lydman was making. I can pretty much guarantee that we won't have that bottom pairing. Hell, BB wouldn't even pair them together last year. The bottom pairing will largely depend on what Schultz decides.

Old
04-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

The only way Kesler is available to Ducks is if Canucks trade Schneider for #2C, for example Schneider for J.Staal. Otherwise, forget about it.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
Vancouver trading Kesler for picks and prospects? Not happening. It would be like the Ducks trading Ryan for picks and prospects... Vancouver is a cup contending team, not looking to rebuild.
May not be lookin to rebuild but they gotta do something their about to be swept by the kings. I'm sure something will happen for them in the offseason.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
The only way Kesler is available to Ducks is if Canucks trade Schneider for #2C, for example Schneider for J.Staal. Otherwise, forget about it.
Luongo has been awful this series against the Queens. If they can't get em to be moved then I'm sure they hold on to em and play em as a backup to Schneider.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Luongo has been awful this series against the Queens.
No, he wasn't. He has been pretty good, actually, and one of their best players in either defeat.

Quote:
If they can't get em to be moved then I'm sure they hold on to em and play em as a backup to Schneider.
Not sure if Schneider will even sign a contract as long as Luongo is around. And if he does, they won't keep Luongo around to be a $5M back-up, if they can trade him - that would be terrible cap management.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Luongo has been awful this series against the Queens. If they can't get em to be moved then I'm sure they hold on to em and play em as a backup to Schneider.
Do you even watch players that you call bad or good? Sometimes I think you dont because this is the best I have seen Luongo play in a long time. He is not the issue.

Old
04-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
No, he wasn't. He has been pretty good, actually, and one of their best players in either defeat.

Not sure if Schneider will even sign a contract as long as Luongo is around. And if he does, they won't keep Luongo around to be a $5M back-up, if they can trade him - that would be terrible cap management.
He has a NMC right? He's tough to be moved.... Only way I see him moved if he's threatened to be benched for Schneider btw who the hell would take on a 10 yr contract??

Old
04-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
He has a NMC right? He's tough to be moved.... Only way I see him moved if he's threatened to be benched for Schneider btw who the hell would take on a 10 yr contract??
NTC, not a NMC (so they would be able to waive him, but it would obviously not come to that). Well, that's the real question. People took Richards and Carter. Obviously, Luongo is a lot older, so there's risk in it, but he can still be a pretty good goalie. But it's difficult to speculate which GMs or owners would be willing to take him. A team like Columbus could obviously need him, but with their cash situation, I don't think they work financially. A team like Toronto needs a goalie like him, and they have the money to afford the risk, but I don't see Burke wanting the term. Then we have Tampa, which is somewhere between those two teams, as they also have the need, but not as much money as the Leafs, and they have a fair share of big contracts already. I believe Yzerman will be looking at a different solution, a younger guy, maybe even look at Tokarski before pulling the trigger.

Just the first teams that came to my mind. I don't think he's immovable, necessarily, but it takes a real fit on many levels.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:03 PM
ninetynine*

Does anyone here not want Brian McGrattan and/or Zenon Konopka?

Old
04-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Exit Dose

The biggest change they'll make is AV getting fired.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
The biggest change they'll make is AV getting fired.
I think something will have to happen in net, whether they want or not. I don't see Schneider just signing and Luongo sticking around. And I doubt that will be the only thing they are thinking about.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
NTC, not a NMC (so they would be able to waive him, but it would obviously not come to that). Well, that's the real question. People took Richards and Carter. Obviously, Luongo is a lot older, so there's risk in it, but he can still be a pretty good goalie. But it's difficult to speculate which GMs or owners would be willing to take him. A team like Columbus could obviously need him, but with their cash situation, I don't think they work financially. A team like Toronto needs a goalie like him, and they have the money to afford the risk, but I don't see Burke wanting the term. Then we have Tampa, which is somewhere between those two teams, as they also have the need, but not as much money as the Leafs, and they have a fair share of big contracts already. I believe Yzerman will be looking at a different solution, a younger guy, maybe even look at Tokarski before pulling the trigger.

Just the first teams that came to my mind. I don't think he's immovable, necessarily, but it takes a real fit on many levels.
That's a huge risk it's almost like a DiPietro on many levels. Very lengthy contract and not cap friendly to many small market teams if your looking to rebuild and that's not the only position you need desperate help with. You are right it will take a right fit on the right team to take that on.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Exit Dose

There's a CBA negotiation around the corner, and I suspect that Luongo is going to want to avoid the buyout. He may be picky about where he goes, but he will waive if asked. I think he's at least out of Canada.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

I doubt he will get traded until it is clear there will be no amnesty buyout in the new CBA.

Old
04-18-2012, 10:48 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
There's a CBA negotiation around the corner, and I suspect that Luongo is going to want to avoid the buyout. He may be picky about where he goes, but he will waive if asked. I think he's at least out of Canada.
Would he really want to avoid a buyout? Depending on what fraction it is and how much he thinks he can pull for the next contract, a buyout might give him more money.

Say he gets 50% of the money remaining. Then all he has to earn is another ~3 million per season for the next contract and he should come out even.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:06 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Would he really want to avoid a buyout? Depending on what fraction it is and how much he thinks he can pull for the next contract, a buyout might give him more money.

Say he gets 50% of the money remaining. Then all he has to earn is another ~3 million per season for the next contract and he should come out even.
It's more complicated than that. That contract guarantees that he'll be an NHL goaltender for a long time, and he avoids the stigma of having been bought out. He doesn't want to have to wrangle new deals every two to three years, risk getting traded, or have to change his scenery every few years. He signed a long term deal with an NTC for a reason.

Old
04-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Not as full timers in the lineup. Neither do anything but fight. According to Sens fans, despite the fact that Konopka is good in faceoff circle, he sucks on PK. Big McGrattan isn't going to help there either. IMO sign one of them, but ideally he's not an every night player. I prefer McGrattan honestly.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:38 AM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

I'm not sure how many people realize it yet, but we're in ridiculously good shape cap-wise going forward. All the key pieces locked up, and assuming guys like Bonino and Palmieri make the team next year, and Selanne comes back, we're spending a shade over $47 million. Only bad contract on the team is Cogliano, at a measly $2.35 million, and heading into CBA uncertainty, that's quite impressive.

Sucks that it's a weak UFA year, but with how messed up UFA prices are, that might not be a bad thing. The buyouts that could come, along with UFA prices likely going down a bit, could mean we can absolutely rake, though.

Old
04-19-2012, 06:06 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

And the 2013 UFA market is the best it has been in years. With any luck we can get a great guy next year.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
And the 2013 UFA market is the best it has been in years. With any luck we can get a great guy next year.
Draft jones or mackinnon and sign some good FA's and Etem should be ready by then....we'll have a really good team! Can't wait for 2013 draft.... Suppose to be one of the best since 03 some speculate it's even better!

Old
04-19-2012, 12:47 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Quote:
Draft jones or mackinnon and sign some good FA's and Etem should be ready by then....we'll have a really good team! Can't wait for 2013 draft.... Suppose to be one of the best since 03 some speculate it's even better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
Meh. That always happens. Drafts and especially UFA markets look good ahead of time. Then by the time they come around there's attrition.

Especially the UFA market. Most of the top guys re-sign. Although it is true that 2013 will probably good UFAs because that's the first UFA year for the 2003 draft class.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
This. With all the grief he has had in his career, he would be better served going to a team with less pressure. For sure, out of Canada. I could see him being a great fit in Columbus, but would he go there? They are starved for a better team and a solid goaltender. He could really help improve that team and I could see the community really embracing him. But, they are a lousy team, would he want to go there?

Old
04-19-2012, 03:45 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
I am against McGrattan, but I would of course like Big Z back

Old
04-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Quote:
You are hoping we get a top 2 pick next year? Jesus Christ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Meh. That always happens. Drafts and especially UFA markets look good ahead of time. Then by the time they come around there's attrition.

Especially the UFA market. Most of the top guys re-sign. Although it is true that 2013 will probably good UFAs because that's the first UFA year for the 2003 draft class.
Thats exactly my thought. Eveen if you take out 3/4 of the guys it is still the best in atleast like 3-4 years.

Last edited by Sojourn: 04-19-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: first part wasn't necessary
Closed Thread