HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltenders this series

Old
04-19-2012, 03:27 PM
yogibear

vCash: 500
Actually, Anderson has been somewhat cold/average or very hot the past season.

Last edited by yogibear: 04-19-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: wrong quote
yogibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:32 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
When you have to start rationalizing every goal one by one...you're definitely working too hard. Bottom line...you are your record. His record is not good.

It's not against the rules to make a save on a goal that isn't your fault if it goes in. That's what the greats do.

We should still win the series, and Hank will hopefully be a big part of that. We can win the Cup too. But he has to stop the shots in overtime and not give us more reasons to describe why a future goal wasn't his fault.
A record also needs to be put into context though. If Henrik had a history of giving up bad goals in overtime it would be one thing, but the goals he's given up have been of a sort that even the best goalies aren't expected to make saves on. And with only one goal scored by the team in front of him in almost 120 minutes of hockey, a losing record isn't all that surprising.

EDIT: Since the start of the 2011 playoffs, Boston is 5-1 in overtime. They've scored also scored 5 goals in 75 minutes. If Henrik had that type of goal support he'd have a much nicer looking record, wouldn't he?

RANGERS =

Last edited by we want cup: 04-19-2012 at 03:37 PM.
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
A record also needs to be put into context though. If Henrik had a history of giving up bad goals in overtime it would be one thing, but the goals he's given up have been of a sort that even the best goalies aren't expected to make saves on. And with only one goal scored by the team in front of him in almost 120 minutes of hockey, a losing record isn't all that surprising.
I do not agree with the bolded part. The best goalies make saves all the time on shots that they are not expected to make saves on. That's what makes them great.

Unfortunately the other goalies are not letting in any of those OT goals that fans of other teams have to explain away as to why it isn't the goalie's fault.

Bottom line is the whole team needs to do better in overtime. The goal scorers and also Hank. 1-7 is 1-7.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:49 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I do not agree with the bolded part. The best goalies make saves all the time on shots that they are not expected to make saves on. That's what makes them great.
Indeed they do. And Hank makes those saves frequently, himself. My point was that even though they may make the saves, they shouldn't be expected to make those saves every time. There's only so many times a goalie is going to rob the other team of a goal before one gets by him.

Quote:
Unfortunately the other goalies are not letting in any of those OT goals that fans of other teams have to explain away as to why it isn't the goalie's fault.

Bottom line is the whole team needs to do better in overtime. The goal scorers and also Hank. 1-7 is 1-7.
When you actually have goal support the other team often doesn't even have a chance to get that great scoring opportunity that ends up in the back of your net.

I'm not saying Hank can't be better than he's been. What bothers me is the hand-wringing and finger-pointing of people acting as though he's some kind of choke-artist when that just isn't the case.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Indeed they do. And Hank makes those saves frequently, himself. My point was that even though they may make the saves, they shouldn't be expected to make those saves every time. There's only so many times a goalie is going to rob the other team of a goal before one gets by him.

When you actually have goal support the other team often doesn't even have a chance to get that great scoring opportunity that ends up in the back of your net.

I'm not saying Hank can't be better than he's been. What bothers me is the hand-wringing and finger-pointing of people acting as though he's some kind of choke-artist when that just isn't the case.
No reason for you and me to keep going back and forth on this. I don't think Hank is a choke artist, but I think he's partly responsible (along with the rest of the cast) for the OT losses.

Unfortunately yesterday was a very short sample, but Anderson outplayed Hank in OT. Please don't analyze every save Anderson made and tell us why it really wasn't much of a save.

The bottom line is Anderson kept the puck out of the net and Hank did not. He outplayed Hank. That can't happen again.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:05 PM
coladin

If it makes you feel any better, the shot Turris had last night was calculated to be 65mph and from the moment he shot it , it was in the net in .5 of a second. Kyle Turris is known for having an incredible shot, one of the best in the league. His release has been compared to Joe Sakic.

Semin's goal tonight? An incredible 71 mph!

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote