HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

phila sports media worst in sports

Old
04-19-2012, 12:27 PM
toughfighter83*

vCash: 500
phila sports media worst in sports

i dont know where to start off with this, but philly is worst sports media because all they do is run their mouths and overhype everything, it's makes the players overconfident and screw up everything, maybe that's the reason philly has never won a championship because of the media running their mouths.

not to menion csn philly interviewing penguins players wtf is this and showing sidney Crosby philla's article picture of him, why dont they put a white flag all phila stadiums and arenas? because they just ruin everything.

i wish they would just shut up, stop pointing fingers and just let the players play without media attention. i wonder why other cities always win and never Phila because of the media.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:48 PM
ORYX

They lost a game......Deal with it.

Media coverage is no worse here then in any other major hockey market.

But you are right, they lost game 4 by 7 goals because the puck kept deflecting off Sarah Baickers big 5 head!

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 04:44 PM
buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
i dont know where to start off with this, but philly is worst sports media because all they do is run their mouths and overhype everything, it's makes the players overconfident and screw up everything, maybe that's the reason philly has never won a championship because of the media running their mouths.

not to menion csn philly interviewing penguins players wtf is this and showing sidney Crosby philla's article picture of him, why dont they put a white flag all phila stadiums and arenas? because they just ruin everything.

i wish they would just shut up, stop pointing fingers and just let the players play without media attention. i wonder why other cities always win and never Phila because of the media.
Agree!

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Cleary84

Quote:

Huh?

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 04:46 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I thought the cover of the paper yesterday was stupid. It mimicked the stupid Pronger one from the cup run and it even reminded me of the NY Post cover of Victorino during the World Series. Not offended, just not clever at all.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 04:47 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post
Huh?
He has to mean the Eagles, right?

04-19-2012, 06:25 PM
SgtJoseph

Having grown up just straight across the river from Philly and living there for 18 years before joining the military and moving around and sampling many other sports markets i can tell you that the Philly sports media is the biggest bunch of Drama queens on the planet.....Most of them [not all] OVER analyze everything to the point of nauseum,and they do their best to create controversy to make themselves feel more important than they really are.....I gotta tell you that many times its a breath of fresh air to watch a Flyers game on one of the live streams and listen to the other teams announcers call the game, because most of them call the game without talking about themselves and joking around etc.WIP is full of a bunch of clowns except for a few.I listen on the Computer at times from down here in Destin Florida, and there are nights i gotta just turn it off...

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Go For It

They're one of the worst, but not for the reasons you've said.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 06:55 PM
MsWoof

I was pissed off at the paper yesterday just like I was pissed at the Chicago paper for putting Pronger in a figure skating dress.

What they did yesterday, combined with the t-shirts the Flyers gave out (as much as I want one, LOL!) was incredibly stupid and just like the Crosby Sucks chant it motivated him.

Interestingly, a writer from the Toronto Star died suddenly this week and the outpouring from not only media and colleagues but athletes has been incredible. He covered amateur sports and the tributes from the athletes especially made me wonder how athletes would react if one of Philly's "finest" would react upon their death. The Olympic athletes have been all over the radio and writing blogs about him and they're all crying and talking about how good a friend he was to them and how much he did for amateur athletics. If one of the Philly clowns died there would likely be parties everywhere!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 07:19 PM
buff

Interesting....

Last edited by buff: 04-19-2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: double post...
buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Mota

It was kind of annoying seeing so many people jump on the bandwagon. The Eagles had a disaster season, the Sixers are falling apart, and the Phils are off to a slow start...once the Flyers won game 2, desperate philadephia fans who usually dont follow the flyers jumped right on board the "crosby sucks" train.

I loved seeing Crosby lose it in game 3, but the a lot of the aftermath was people wanting something to feel good about, and it got carried away.

All week there have been a lot of "I dont normally watch hockey, but..." calls on WIP.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Justified
Amaro out

this post is severely off base, you imply that one of the reasons that one of the reasons this town never wins anything is because of media. that is just pretty funny. let me tell you why this town rarely wins anything, it is because the teams we have arent good enough. i dont see boston and ny having a problem with winning championships, and their media is the same as ours.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:18 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
It was kind of annoying seeing so many people jump on the bandwagon. The Eagles had a disaster season, the Sixers are falling apart, and the Phils are off to a slow start...once the Flyers won game 2, desperate philadephia fans who usually dont follow the flyers jumped right on board the "crosby sucks" train.

I loved seeing Crosby lose it in game 3, but the a lot of the aftermath was people wanting something to feel good about, and it got carried away.

All week there have been a lot of "I dont normally watch hockey, but..." calls on WIP.
Is that a bad thing? I like hockey a lot and discussing it with people when they are at least somewhat knowledgable about is nice. So the more people the merrier. Is it really a bandwagon if they never followed hockey before but root for all the other Philly sports? Maybe they like it so much they actually follow it more and more. I never understood the elitist attitude some people have when talking about sports like they are a better fan then others because they followed it longer or are more up to speed about the game.

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Tim Tebow

I don't blame the media for the loss. I doubt the Flyers all picked up the paper and suddenly took there guidance from the front page. Plus the Phillies won a Championship during one of there most arrogant cocky seasons with both the players and media in on it.

I will say this though I have never been a big fan of Philadelphia's sports media and find myself more embarrassed by them then proud. Especially that Crosby article, I literally thought that was a board members poor attempt at humor.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:

Ok... I think you need to step back and read what you just said there...

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Is that a bad thing? I like hockey a lot and discussing it with people when they are at least somewhat knowledgable about is nice. So the more people the merrier. Is it really a bandwagon if they never followed hockey before but root for all the other Philly sports? Maybe they like it so much they actually follow it more and more. I never understood the elitist attitude some people have when talking about sports like they are a better fan then others because they followed it longer or are more up to speed about the game.
I didnt mean it like that. I agree, I love it when people start watching hockey and a good series gets them into it. My response was to the OP and how he was saying how the media around here took the Crosby bashing a little too far, and I was just saying a lot of the 'fans' getting carried away with it were people that just started watching because of their success in games 1 and 2 (and the lack of success of the other teams).

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:38 AM
nightstalker78
Rookie User

Quote:

Blaming the media now? Got news for you. The media doesn't play the game.They can hype whatever they want. It's up to the players to PRODUCE.

If they're rattled by what the media says then they picked the wrong career.

nightstalker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:44 AM
nightstalker78
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

This happens every year. No one outside of real fans follows the Flyers all year. When the playoffs come suddenly everyone is a fan.It's just the way it is.

I don't care what the other 3 teams do. I don't follow them anyway,good year or bad year.Can't stand baseball or basketball.And I hate the Eagles. It's kind of like the Phillies...where were all the fans when the Vet was sitting 3/4's empty every night? They started winning and suddenly everyone has been a fan for 20 years.I can bet you when the Flyers win a cup the samething will happen.

Last edited by nightstalker78: 04-20-2012 at 02:55 AM.
nightstalker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:49 AM
StandingCow

Yea, that's how I am, don't really care about any other sport... just hockey.

Only sad thing about the playoffs starting is it means the season is almost over.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 04:44 AM
Andre Poodle Lussier

I do think the media (not the sports side of it) in town can be some of the biggest bandwagon hoppers in any market. All the years' Reid's Eagles teams would make those playoff runs and win because of "heart, determination, effort" made me want to gag when I'd hear the newsies start to wax poetic about the great Andy Reid and the wondrous abilities of Donovan McNabb.

I think sports media here is not that bad compared to other cities...they do get on players, owners, coaches when it's needed. There are some good journalists in this town...some bad ones but we're not as bad as other cities out there with regards to the sports side of things.

Andre Poodle Lussier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Suspended4Life

I would question this statement just because I don't really know how much the players pay attention to the media. I doubt they read much if anything that these guys put out.

But I will agree that Philly has some of the most annoying beat reporters that I've seen. I cringe everytime I watch Michael Barkhann try to analyze a hockey game. I'm pretty sure Pannoch just makes up stories half the time just so he has an excuse to tweet. And I can't remember the guy's name right now, but the worst one of all is that little ***** who kind of reminds me of an uglier version of Lundquist...the one that pissed off Charlie Manuel in the locker room last year so bad that Charlie wanted to fight him. What's the guy's name???

Suspended4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Really? The Philadelphia media is the the worst in sports, eh?

Do you want to know the real reason that there hasn't been a parade in Philly since 1983? Not enough people speak French.

Sincerely,

The Montréal Media

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote