HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rinaldo or ben holmstrom?

Old
04-19-2012, 11:59 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
When you only play 5-7 minute a game, does it really matter?
It does matter because it lets the other team know that they will soon be on the PP. Rinaldo TOI average is 4:56 per game, but he's averaging 11.5 PIMs per game.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:29 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
rinaldo is balls to the walls and one of the hardest hitters on the team. defensemen have to look over their shoulder when going back for a puck because they know that if hes on the ice, hes going to drill them. sometimes that may cause them to cough the puck up.

i really dont think rinaldo is that dirty of a player. last night he deserved a double minor at the most. 2 for cross checking, and 2 for roughing. but last night was ridiculous. The game misconducts on him, kubina, simmonds and cooke were absolute jokes.

his reputation is what kills him.
I had no problem at all with any of the misconducts. The refs were trying to keep the game under control. They saw the circus last game, refs don't want that happening in their games.

As for Rinaldo, I'd rather have Harry Z at this point. Faster than Rinaldo, more offense, more defense, no reputation...only thing he does worse is fight. I was baffled when Zolnierzyck was being sent down this season.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
It does matter because it lets the other team know that they will soon be on the PP. Rinaldo TOI average is 4:56 per game, but he's averaging 11.5 PIMs per game.
Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not, but that was what I was trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I had no problem at all with any of the misconducts. The refs were trying to keep the game under control. They saw the circus last game, refs don't want that happening in their games.

As for Rinaldo, I'd rather have Harry Z at this point. Faster than Rinaldo, more offense, more defense, no reputation...only thing he does worse is fight. I was baffled when Zolnierzyck was being sent down this season.
I guess I'd take Z over Rinaldo, but to me, that isn't saying much. Zolnierzyck reminds me of a little kids soccer game, where all they do is run (or in this case, skate) as fast as they can to the ball, but once they get there, all they can do is kick it.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Flyguy_1ca

Send a message via ICQ to Flyguy_1ca
Quote:
Not sure if you're agreeing with me or not, but that was what I was trying to say.

I guess I'd take Z over Rinaldo, but to me, that isn't saying much. Zolnierzyck reminds me of a little kids soccer game, where all they do is run (or in this case, skate) as fast as they can to the ball, but once they get there, all they can do is kick it.
Pretty much, but that still brings more than Rinaldo does so bring it on

Flyguy_1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:04 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I agree with you 100%. I don't want to see Rinaldo anywhere other than the pressbox.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

I was baffled when Rinaldo made the team. He had a completely unremarkable season last year (to put it kindly) and he brings nothing useful to the table. There were several Phantoms that are more useful and more deserving.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:34 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I was baffled when Rinaldo made the team. He had a completely unremarkable season last year (to put it kindly) and he brings nothing useful to the table. There were several Phantoms that are more useful and more deserving.
Yeah this too. I wasn't impressed with him. I always saw him as a better option than Shelley, so I never really second guessed it. I was certain Holmstrom would be a Flyer for almost all of this season, but he's really dropped the ball with his opportunities. Once JvR returns (and it sounds like he's a couple days away), sitting Rinaldo is the only logical option...unless the Broad Street Bully mentality takes over and they sit Wellwood instead

Old
04-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Looks like Zac got off without discipline, as per (reported?) CSN reports.

Meh. I don't think I'd dress him in Game 5. It guarantees 1-2 additional PPs for the Penguins.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Totally Radivojevic

The team just suffered one of the most embarrassing losses in franchise history and lost a key player to a concussion, and Rinaldo was the only one who showed any fight. What the hell is up with everyone's mentality that it's cool to be pushed around? I get that it's annoying that Rinaldo is always in the box (unfairly a lot of times), but take him out of the lineup and the Flyers lose one of the only guys who the other team has to worry about throwing a punishing/huge hit and inflicting pain. Don't get me wrong, I love almost everyone on this team, but there's really not many who are going to lay you out with a big hit. Simmonds and Hartnell are great, will mix it up, fight, etc, but they aren't the most punishing hitters in the world. As for the defense, Coburn and Grossman will take the body/rub people out (heh), but again, not the biggest hitters in the world. Really, the only people Pittsburgh have to worry about catching someone with their head down and making them pay are Schenn and Rinaldo. I know the cool thing around here is to play like passive *****es and get knocked around, but I'm not buying into that. Wellwood is comically fast and has played alright, but he couldn't throw a hit that hurt if his life depended on it. Oh, and guess what, he has the same amount of points as Rinaldo this postseason and has played thirty more minutes (insert someone overrating his PK ability in 3,2,1...).

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink the Clown View Post
The team just suffered one of the most embarrassing losses in franchise history and lost a key player to a concussion, and Rinaldo was the only one who showed any fight. What the hell is up with everyone's mentality that it's cool to be pushed around? I get that it's annoying that Rinaldo is always in the box (unfairly a lot of times), but take him out of the lineup and the Flyers lose one of the only guys who the other team has to worry about throwing a punishing/huge hit and inflicting pain. Don't get me wrong, I love almost everyone on this team, but there's really not many who are going to lay you out with a big hit. Simmonds and Hartnell are great, will mix it up, fight, etc, but they aren't the most punishing hitters in the world. As for the defense, Coburn and Grossman will take the body/rub people out (heh), but again, not the biggest hitters in the world. Really, the only people Pittsburgh have to worry about catching someone with their head down and making them pay are Schenn and Rinaldo. I know the cool thing around here is to play like passive *****es and get knocked around, but I'm not buying into that. Wellwood is comically fast and has played alright, but he couldn't throw a hit that hurt if his life depended on it. Oh, and guess what, he has the same amount of points as Rinaldo this postseason and has played thirty more minutes (insert someone overrating his PK ability in 3,2,1...).
Eric Wellwood - 0 PIM

Zac Rinaldo - 46 PIM

He's a liability. Showing "fight" is not productive when it only yields PPs for the opposition--

Old
04-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Eric Wellwood - 0 PIM

Zac Rinaldo - 46 PIM

He's a liability. Showing "fight" is not productive when it only yields PPs for the opposition--
He's put the team shorthanded 3 times this postseason with the game's outcome still up for grabs, with only 1 being a legit penalty. The rest were misconducts/BS calls/etc with the game out of reach.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:16 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Your possibly the only person on here (or really anywhere) that would take Rinaldo over Wellwood. Wellwood has been playing regularly on the shutdown line with Couturier and Talbot because Rinaldo cant handle it. Rinaldo isnt good at all, and gets overrated around here because he can hit. Otherwise Rinaldo doesnt do jack **** for the team. I can care less how hard he hits. Him hitting people for 3 minutes a game doesnt do anything for the team. Nothing. (insert someone saying its unfair that the refs hate him)

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
He's put the team shorthanded 3 times this postseason with the game's outcome still up for grabs, with only 1 being a legit penalty. The rest were misconducts/BS calls/etc with the game out of reach.
That's almost exactly the point. I don't know the states for Game 3, but in Games 1-2, he played a total of 10 minutes and took two minor penalties--each generating a PP chance when the game was very much in doubt. I agree with your assessment of some of the calls, but that's really irrelevant because it isn't going to change, at least not this postseason.

Sorry, I don't think the boost in "spunk" is worth putting Pittsburgh on the powerplay. His main contributions--energy / big hits / etc.--are useless if they will simply serve to help the other team. Reputation, whatever, he's a target of the officials, and at this point, in this series, really serves no purpose.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:22 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
And with the minuscule amount of ice time he's gotten, that's MORE than enough for me to have him sat.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:27 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Also, it got to the point last night where both teams pretty much mailed it in (aside from a couple chances and hits). Rinaldo going balls to the wall for no reason at all was absolutely pointless. No Penguins player jumped him, and no Flyers player jumped a Penguins player...both sides wanted to get out of that game injury/problem free...except Zac Rinaldo. You saw Brooks Orpik's reaction to the ref after the hit...a player that would normally jump in to defend his teammate...he knew the refs would take care of the situation and it would only benefit the Pens more, and then Jake Voracek skated into the picture seconds later and had that "wtf was the point of that?" look on his face

Old
04-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Also, it got to the point last night where both teams pretty much mailed it in (aside from a couple chances and hits). Rinaldo going balls to the wall for no reason at all was absolutely pointless. No Penguins player jumped him, and no Flyers player jumped a Penguins player...both sides wanted to get out of that game injury/problem free...except Zac Rinaldo. You saw Brooks Orpik's reaction to the ref after the hit...a player that would normally jump in to defend his teammate...he knew the refs would take care of the situation and it would only benefit the Pens more, and then Jake Voracek skated into the picture seconds later and had that "wtf was the point of that?" look on his face
So Pittsburgh spends the end of game 3 starting **** by running Couts and G, punching Hartnell in the back of the head, etc, gives Grossmann a concussion in game 4, the same game you go down by 6+ goals, and Rinaldo is at fault for showing some fight? That's exactly what he's in there for.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
So Pittsburgh spends the end of game 3 starting **** by running Couts and G, punching Hartnell in the back of the head, etc, gives Grossmann a concussion in game 4, the same game you go down by 6+ goals, and Rinaldo is at fault for showing some fight? That's exactly what he's in there for.
And what happened to Neal, Asham, and Adams?

No need for Rinaldo to do anything.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote