HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Burkie #1 targets this offseason will be...

Old
04-19-2012, 09:52 AM
Drydenwasthebest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
Heres a list of all teams num 1 Cs..

Ana-Getzlaf(Draft by Ana)
Bos-Bergeron(Drafted by Bos)
Buff-Roy(drafted by Buff)
Flames-DONT HAVE ONE
Car-Staal(Drafted by Car)
Chi-Toews(Drafted by Chi)
Avs-Stastny/Duchene(Drafted by Avs)
Clb-Johannson(sp)(drafted by Clb)
Dal-Ribiero(drafted by habs)OPSS theres one:p
Det-Datsyuk(drafted by wings)
Edm-RNH(drafted by Oils)
Fla-Huberdeau(drafted by Fla)
Kings-Kopitar(drafted by Kings)
Min-Koivu(drafted by Min)
Mon-Dont have one(will draft one this years)
NJ-Zajac(drafted by devils)
NYI-Tavares(drafted by NYI)
NYR-Brad Richards(UFA Signing)
Ott-Spezza(drafted by Ott)
Philly-Couturier(drafted by Philly)
Phx- I really dont know whos their num 1 C lol..Dont have one??Shane Doan
Pens-Crosby/Malkin(drafted by pens both)
SJ-Thorton and future C COUTURE(thorton in a trade, but Couture drafted by sharks)
TB-Stamkos(drafted by Tb)
Tor- dont have one
Van-Sedin(drafted by Van)
Caps-backstrom(drafted by Caps)
Jets-dont have one

Everyteam drafted their own C. And thats what the leafs need to do....
Yes, it would be better to find the right draft choice at the #5 (or #3 for Montreal) position. Far less costly than trying to trade for one. I still wish Montreal could find a way to pry Eric Staal out of Carolina, though...sigh...

Ah well, either Galchenyuk or Forberg will look great in Montreal when he hits the big time...

Drydenwasthebest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:58 AM
saskganesh

heh. anyhow, #1 centres usually get traded when they are about to begin their new careers as #2 centres.

saskganesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
I thought that's why the big man picked up Connolly???

Steckel was a nice addition as well.
Joke about Connolly all you want...but a 4th for Steckel WAS a good deal. He's a good 4th line center, great at faceoffs and can PK while chipping in some offence.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post
Thread No. 91337292046293016 about the Leafs wanting to get a (future hall of fame) Center, with some size, who makes a good pass and can shoot. But Gardiner and 1st rounders are off the table. But there is willingness to trade MacArthur and probably The Monster/The Goof.

Boring people.
And yet....even though the title of the thread clearly states what it's about, you took some of your very valuable time to post some constructive opinions....WELL DONE.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:33 AM
SilverHaireDevil

If you plan on making an offer for a player like Getzlaf who is highly regarded for what he brings to the table, the offer should reflect what his value is to his current club and what his value is to the club that wants him.

He is under contract and looks like he will be signing an extension with the ducks.

When you refuse to offer anything of similar value in return and instead offer Schenn and Kadri, one who was a defensive liability and spent plenty of time in the press box at 3.8 mil a year and a guy who can't crack the roster of a lottery team in exchange for a guy who is a #1 C and has led his team to a Stanley cup victory, it's hard for ducks fans to not be insulted.

If serious offers were made, I am certain that ducks fans would engage in reasonable discourse on the subject.

Insulting their intelligence right out of the gate makes it hard for them to react positively.

You want what they have, in order to get it you have to offer what they want, not what you want to pay.

You can't walk into Wendy's and get a Classic triple for Canadian tire money.

SilverHaireDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:34 AM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

former ducks, undrafted euro goalies and 3rd liners

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:38 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
I think Burke tries to acquire:
Bryzgalov or Luongo for cheap
Penner
C. Stewart
J. Staal

They would probably have to give up Schenn and Kadri to get all of them but it would be worth it.
Can you imagine Bryzgalov in Toronto? Or Luongo for that matter, but at least that's a little safer. Bryzgalov would soil himself on a nightly basis there, it would be a real treat to watch.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Can you imagine Bryzgalov in Toronto? Or Luongo for that matter, but at least that's a little safer. Bryzgalov would soil himself on a nightly basis there, it would be a real treat to watch.
I'd just like to hear Phaneuf/Brys post game interviews. They both sound like they have a mouth full of marbles.

Old
04-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
A few days ago I would have poo poo'ed a Toronto effort to trade for Luongo but in the last couple of days I think there might be a match. Burkie needs a goalie and likes making big deals. He may not like the contract coming back but it seems to be a scenario that's right up his alley. It might be the trade that saves his *** in TO. And it might help give Luongo a new lease on life.

There are lots of plusses and minuses but if I were Burke I'd ask at least one of my GM wannabes and retreads to look into it and make some calls.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:51 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Heres a list of all teams num 1 Cs..

Ana-Getzlaf(Draft by Ana)
Bos-Bergeron(Drafted by Bos) #2 Krejci (drafted), before was Savard who was traded for
Buff-Roy(drafted by Buff)
Flames-DONT HAVE ONE
Car-Staal(Drafted by Car) #2 Skinner (drafted)
Chi-Toews(Drafted by Chi), #2 Sharp (traded)
Avs-Stastny/Duchene(Drafted by Avs)
Clb-Johannson(sp)(drafted by Clb)
Dal-Ribiero(drafted by habs)OPSS theres one:p Benn (drafted)
Det-Datsyuk(drafted by wings)
Edm-RNH(drafted by Oils)
Fla-Huberdeau(drafted by Fla) Hasn't even played an NHL game yet? Weisss
Kings-Kopitar(drafted by Kings) #2 Richards (traded)
Min-Koivu(drafted by Min)
Mon-Dont have one(will draft one this years)
NJ-Zajac(drafted by devils) wouldnt consider a #1
NYI-Tavares(drafted by NYI)
NYR-Brad Richards(UFA Signing) Before Richards was signed, he was dealt for
Ott-Spezza(drafted by Ott)
Philly-Couturier(drafted by Philly) #1 Giroux (drafted), #2 Briere (traded) #3 Schen (traded)
Phx- I really dont know whos their num 1 C lol..Dont have one?? Hanzal (drafted)
Pens-Crosby/Malkin(drafted by pens both)
SJ-Thorton and future C COUTURE(thorton in a trade, but Couture drafted by sharks)
TB-Stamkos(drafted by Tb)
Tor- dont have one
Van-Sedin(drafted by Van) #2 Kesler (drafted)
Caps-backstrom(drafted by Caps)
Jets-dont have one

Everyteam drafted their own C. And thats what the leafs need to do....
Fixed your list. I added #1 C that are playing second fiddle, or will soon reach that status.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:55 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
A few days ago I would have poo poo'ed a Toronto effort to trade for Luongo but in the last couple of days I think there might be a match. Burkie needs a goalie and likes making big deals. He may not like the contract coming back but it seems to be a scenario that's right up his alley. It might be the trade that saves his *** in TO. And it might help give Luongo a new lease on life.

There are lots of plusses and minuses but if I were Burke I'd ask at least one of my GM wannabes and retreads to look into it and make some calls.
I'm not trying to be an arse here, but I really and truly think that Luongo could use some time (like a decade) out of the glaring spotlight of a Canadian market. Tampa Bay is a perfect destination - and he has a NTC, so he might use that to make it so.

Tampa Bay has a nice team, Stevie Y appears to have his ducks in a row, now would be the time for him to inquire and if I'm Luongo, I'm thinking long and hard about waiving my NTC for TB. Toronto...not so much.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:57 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:

Burke and Co. recycling all their players from the past

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:

I would love to see Luongo in Toronto, he would give us that much of a better chance to make the playoffs. Nobody will care about his contract as long as he plays well and gets us into the playoffs which I think he would do as his stats put him as one of the premier goalies in the league. His playoff woes I don't think are as bad as others make them out to be. He had a couple bad games last year (but still brought the team to the cup finals) and his 2 games this year he didn't exactly have a team in front of him, I wouldn't fault him for those games. In 7 years or so we may not like the contract, but in 7 years we very well could be rebuilding again and it wouldn't be an issue as we wouldn't be a contender. 2 more years until Toronto competes, compete for another 3-5 likely before rebuilding again at which point Luongo will be on the final stretches of his contract and can mentor the team and his high cap hit won't be as much of an issue at this time. He could always fake an injury and just sit out while getting paid and give the leafs LTIR space if needed

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Thread No. 91337292046293016 about the Leafs wanting to get a (future hall of fame) Center, with some size, who makes a good pass and can shoot. But Gardiner and 1st rounders are off the table. But there is willingness to trade MacArthur and probably The Monster/The Goof.

Boring people.
Future hall of famer? Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
former ducks, undrafted euro goalies and 3rd liners
Getter then what the Ducks get.

Former Leafs, Former Oilers

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Unagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
Future hall of famer? Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

I didn't mean Getzlaf will be one, doubt he ever gets close. I was quoting that "**** Leafs Fans say" video from youtube.

Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:

Boring people.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
I didn't mean Getzlaf will be one, doubt he ever gets close. I was quoting that "**** Leafs Fans say" video from youtube.
Gotcha

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 04:08 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Joke about Connolly all you want...but a 4th for Steckel WAS a good deal. He's a good 4th line center, great at faceoffs and can PK while chipping in some offence.
I was not joking, that's Connolly's job, winning faceoffs, killing penalties and playing as a two-way center.

move Grabovski to the #1 center position then, he is young and ready for that role.

Burke needs to go after a #1 goaltender before anything.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlotto99 View Post
Ryan Getzlaf I think Burke will throw everything and the kitchen sink at the Ducks to get his former Captain.

So what would it take to land Getzlaf?
I think Getzlaf may be available but if he is it could be that he wants to test the UFA waters so would cost Nash type money to re-sign. I think if he is willing to sign at a reasonable price Anheim will just sign an extension. I think Ryan could be moved as he has not been on good terms with management.

I think a more realistic target for Toronto is Luongo. I'm sure Vancouver will have to chose between him and Schneider and Schneider will cost less than him and is younger. Might cost a 1st kadri and Kulemin or something similar.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 04:42 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
Nobody will care about his contract as long as he plays well and gets us into the playoffs which I think he would do as his stats put him as one of the premier goalies in the league. His playoff woes I don't think are as bad as others make them out to be.
Unfortunately, most of this board would be ready to crucify him if he doesn't bring a Cup to TML next season.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 05:03 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Burkes #1 priority should be goaltending? does anyone else agree???
4 years ago, he said he builds his teams from the net out...even he agrees, he just hasn't gotten a goalie yet...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 05:42 PM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
It makes me so sick how all these Leafs fans make other Leafs fans look so dumb. Like seriously. What in the hell makes you think Ducks will trade their young C??????? Like do you even think before you make a proposal thread?? probably not...We have a 5th overall pick and the possibility to draft one that has potential to be a number 1 C on this team! Thats the only way this team is going to get a num C!!!!! If it was so easy to trade for one, i think Burke would have done it already!. Num 1 C is the hardest position to get! and don't think cause Leafs are so in need for one, other teams are just going to trade it to us......
I fully agree.

No other team with a #1 center is going to take pity on the Leafs and simply hand one over. If the Leafs want a #1 center, they are going to have to DRAFT one and they are currently nicely placed on the Draft board to do so.

I just wish that people like this thread's OP would get it through their thick skulls that the Leafs cannot afford to spend the type of assets that it would very likely cost to acquire established players like Joe Thornton, Ryan Getzlaf, etc.

The majority of Leaf fans (like the OP here) on these boards need to develop some patience. Quick fixes DON'T WORK!! Smart drafting and proper player development almost always yields better results over the long-term.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Minimalist*

I'm going to do us all a favor here.

Here is something Leafs fans don't seem to understand. Almost never will a team trade a superstar for scrap pieces. That is not saying that those scraps have no value at all, just that trading a superstar for a collection of lesser parts isn't something any sensible GM is willing to do. Barring extreme circumstances.

The Leafs problem, as evidenced in every single Leafs proposal here, is that they are a team of nothing but scraps. Kessel is their only star player, and they aren't willing to part with him.

Gardiner/Kulemin/Grabovski are good NHL players, and Colborne/Kadri are good prospects, but they aren't pieces that are going to land you a star 1c. The cold truth is that the Leafs have very little to offer in a quality for quality trade, so they have no choice to offer quantity for quality. But I suppose they fail to realize, or just refuse to accept, that scraps for stars just isn't going to happen.

Leafs simply have nothing to offer for a star player. Unless Kessel is on the table, just give it a rest already Leafs fans.

Minimalist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
I'm going to do us all a favor here.

Here is something Leafs fans don't seem to understand. Almost never will a team trade a superstar for scrap pieces. That is not saying that those scraps have no value at all, just that trading a superstar for a collection of lesser parts isn't something any sensible GM is willing to do. Barring extreme circumstances.

The Leafs problem, as evidenced in every single Leafs proposal here, is that they are a team of nothing but scraps. Kessel is their only star player, and they aren't willing to part with him.

Gardiner/Kulemin/Grabovski are good NHL players, and Colborne/Kadri are good prospects, but they aren't pieces that are going to land you a star 1c. The cold truth is that the Leafs have very little to offer in a quality for quality trade, so they have no choice to offer quantity for quality. But I suppose they fail to realize, or just refuse to accept, that scraps for stars just isn't going to happen.

Leafs simply have nothing to offer for a star player. Unless Kessel is on the table, just give it a rest already Leafs fans.
The leafs got Phaneuf for the scrappiest scraps you could think of (atleast at the time, Ian White is doing pretty well now) so it has just gotten leaf fans hoping it would happen all the time. How many times have you heard a leaf fan come back with that trade when people say you never get stars for scraps? I bet almost every single time.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 06:34 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
I would love to see Luongo in Toronto, he would give us that much of a better chance to make the playoffs. Nobody will care about his contract as long as he plays well and gets us into the playoffs which I think he would do as his stats put him as one of the premier goalies in the league. His playoff woes I don't think are as bad as others make them out to be. He had a couple bad games last year (but still brought the team to the cup finals) and his 2 games this year he didn't exactly have a team in front of him, I wouldn't fault him for those games. In 7 years or so we may not like the contract, but in 7 years we very well could be rebuilding again and it wouldn't be an issue as we wouldn't be a conten
I don't know...if the pressure of playing in Vancouver's too much for Luongo ,how's he going to handle the pressure of playing in Toronto?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote