HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres' Regier preaches patience

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-19-2012, 02:27 PM
  #26
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
1. that objective is kind of "dream scenario" for me... based on:
2. I want to move on from Roy... i don't need to reiterate my position... i'll simply sum it up by saying "addition by subtraction"
3. We are not a contender next year, so keeping Roy, to keep the younglings pushed down the lineup has little value to me.
4. The most important thing the front office can do this offseason, is recognize who needs to be moved... and MOVE THEM. Not wait for the a better offer, not get the best asset value... just ****ing move them.
5. I don't think we have a chance to acquire a #1 center.

Our best hope at this point is to develop Hodgson/Ennis into some variation of Drury/Briere... while developing the higher end talent via the draft behind them.
You have many mixed messages if your posting. You want to have the kids lead the team but yet you tell them they aren't contenders. Personally I will wait until opening day before I past judgement.

We need to surround the new core with character, grit, and defined roles.

Obviously, if the chance to grab a #1 center presents itself, then GREAT... and bump everyone down... terrific.

But I'd rather over play the kid centers, then see Roy pull on the blue n gold again
Throwing away assets for nothing always helps you sound credible.
How do you know we are not a contender next year without even giving the sabres an off season to work with....what a joke.
You want to throw 3.5m at Stoll who scored 5 goals this year.
f$% Drury and Briere turn the page already
We always have a chance to acquire a top center
I guess if you were running the team you would tell the guys we aren't contending so no piont in trying.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:27 PM
  #27
omglolnub
Registered User
 
omglolnub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Roy + Sekera to Edmonton for 2nd round pick(like a late 1st rounder)
Roy alone for a 2nd round pick is terrible. I know there's a lot of hate for him on the board, but C'MON MANNN!

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:31 PM
  #28
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner
 
Tim Murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,475
vCash: 1237
Hodgson/Ennis as our 1-2 C over the course of a whole season scares me. I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about it, but man, is that an unproven combo right there.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:32 PM
  #29
heartsabres*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Roy + Sekera to Edmonton for 2nd round pick(like a late 1st rounder)
Is this some sort of joke? Plus why would Edmonton want Roy? They are trying to get rid of forwards.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:35 PM
  #30
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,577
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=heartsabres;48405541]
Quote:
Throwing away assets for nothing always helps you sound credible.
If you've determined that a specific player is part of the problem, and needs to be moved... then the value of the player in trade is inconsequential.

Quote:
How do you know we are not a contender next year without even giving the sabres an off season to work with....what a joke.
Because Lindy Ruff will be the head coach, a proven #1 center will NOT be acquired, and the new core of this team is too young.

Quote:
You want to throw 3.5m at Stoll who scored 5 goals this year.
Are we just looking at what players did in there last season now? So Derek Roy is a 40 pt player... ok... we can play it your way.

Stoll is a Paul Gaustad's size and faceoff ability combined with actual NHL level skating ability. And hands good enough to be a 15-20 goal player.

Quote:
We always have a chance to acquire a top center


and the Islanders always have a chance to win the cup at the beginning of each season...

Quote:
I guess if you were running the team you would tell the guys we aren't contending so no piont in trying.
if I were running the team, we'd be building a contender instead of continually trying to add to the mess

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:36 PM
  #31
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,834
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
Hodgson/Ennis as our 1-2 C over the course of a whole season scares me. I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about it, but man, is that an unproven combo right there.
Yeah, it doesn't seem like a recipe for success. That third center has to be a vet type who can put up more than 45 points (preferably more) in shared minutes. Best case is someone who can play a solid 2-way game (aka. good defensively as well) and win a draw. The more points, the better -- thus the ideas about someone like Getzlaf being nearer the top of the list.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:37 PM
  #32
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 39,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Yeah, it doesn't seem like a recipe for success. That third center has to be a vet type who can put up more than 45 points (preferably more) in shared minutes. Best case is someone who can play a solid 2-way game (aka. good defensively as well) and win a draw. The more points, the better -- thus the ideas about someone like Getzlaf being nearer the top of the list.
Well, if only there was a player like that already on the team...

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:42 PM
  #33
CaptPantalones
Registered User
 
CaptPantalones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,387
vCash: 500
Its pretty safe to say Roy is done here, but when I heard Regier talk about adding a center last week, I got the feeling more that he and Ruff are comfortable with the idea of Hodgson and Ennis as the "1-2" and then wanted to add the veteran with size as a 3rd C.

if there going to address scoring, I think its going to come on the wings (ie, a run at parise or a trade such as Bobby Ryan?)

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:42 PM
  #34
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,834
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Well, if only there was a player like that already on the team...
Shhh! No one is supposed to notice.

Granted, it's a must that they guy not have what appears to be a broken relationship with the current head coach. That's a given.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:46 PM
  #35
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Yeah, it doesn't seem like a recipe for success. That third center has to be a vet type who can put up more than 45 points (preferably more) in shared minutes. Best case is someone who can play a solid 2-way game (aka. good defensively as well) and win a draw. The more points, the better -- thus the ideas about someone like Getzlaf being nearer the top of the list.
someone like Jarrett Stoll

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:48 PM
  #36
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Its pretty safe to say Roy is done here, but when I heard Regier talk about adding a center last week, I got the feeling more that he and Ruff are comfortable with the idea of Hodgson and Ennis as the "1-2" and then wanted to add the veteran with size as a 3rd C.

if there going to address scoring, I think its going to come on the wings (ie, a run at parise or a trade such as Bobby Ryan?)
agreed...

Why not...

Parise-Stoll-Pominville
Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford

each line has a goal scorer, a playmaker, and a heavy

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:51 PM
  #37
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 39,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
agreed...

Why not...

Parise-Stoll-Pominville
Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford

each line has a goal scorer, a playmaker, and a heavy
What do have Leino/Gerbe doing in this scenario?

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:53 PM
  #38
OkimLom
Registered User
 
OkimLom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
Roy alone for a 2nd round pick is terrible. I know there's a lot of hate for him on the board, but C'MON MANNN!
I mean to put something else along with that...I forgot to add to it. But I dont want to add anymore salary. I forgot to add to this deal...meant to add more.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:57 PM
  #39
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,834
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
someone like Jarrett Stoll
On his game, he may be that. This past year, he was like a bad cross between Boyes and Gaustad --- snake bitten production, had some continued SO success, still won some draws, lightening rod for Kings fans' criticism.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:02 PM
  #40
OkimLom
Registered User
 
OkimLom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Is this some sort of joke? Plus why would Edmonton want Roy? They are trying to get rid of forwards.
Their fans want to get rid of forwards. Do you really think that Roy is worse than what they have on their team now? Why not try to improve?

I was basically making room for an improved Center on this team and making room at defense for the prospects who I feel are ready : Brennan, McNabb.

THIS IS WHY US FANS ARE NOT GM'S

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:23 PM
  #41
tmack224
Registered User
 
tmack224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
agreed...

Why not...

Parise-Stoll-Pominville
Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford

each line has a goal scorer, a playmaker, and a heavy
B. Ryan for Gerbe, Roy, Leopold, Buffalo 1st, Nashville 1st

Parise-Stoll-Pomminville
Vanek-Hodgson-Ryan
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Tropp-Mccormick-Kaleta

Myers-Mcnabb
Erhoff-Sulzer
Regehr-Sekera
Weber

Miller
Enroth

Bury Leino in the minors and hope he goes back to Europe



tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 03:23 PM
  #42
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,873
vCash: 500
Getzlaf only makes sense if Buffalo can negotiate a contract extension. He only has one year left on his current deal, and I'm not sure he has any reason at all to want to stay in Buffalo if he were traded there. Getzlaf will cost too much in trade to only have him for one season.

Of all the players tmack listed in post #7, I don't see any players that Buffalo would really want that are also likely to be traded. Sure, Kesler would be awesome, but would Van actually trade him for any reason? I guess Steve Ott would be great as a 3rd line C, but I'd rather have more pure talent than that and roll three scoring lines.

I just don't see a trade as the best option for acquiring a TOP line scoring center. If Regier just wants to get bigger than a trade can do it, but how does that improve the team so much more over Roy? I don't see it. I'd rather draft Girgorenko/Galchenyuk after trading up.

What I do see in a trade is acquiring Bobby Ryan or some other winger that has scoring and size to play with Vanek and Hodgson. Just signing Parise and moving Vanek to RW would be another good option.

Sabresfansince1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 04:30 PM
  #43
SabresBillsBuffalo
Registered User
 
SabresBillsBuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 3,608
vCash: 500
Hopefully Regier sticks to his word

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 04:32 PM
  #44
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,508
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Patience is hard to come by, even for someone like me who is far more forgiving than the average hardcore fan.

Regier bought himself a little patience from me with the Hodgson deal, but I better as **** see meaningful progress next year or that patience will be out the window.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:48 PM
  #45
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Patience is hard to come by, even for someone like me who is far more forgiving than the average hardcore fan.

Regier bought himself a little patience from me with the Hodgson deal, but I better as **** see meaningful progress next year or that patience will be out the window.
I am of a similiar mindset too. I am even patient with Leino. Out of the 6 year contract, the first year wasn't good. He showed positive signs, and I will be patient with him for another FULL season. But I also have a feeling, he will be one of those peaks and valleys players. He will be liked and hated 82 times a season.

On the topic of Regier, I too am interested to see the moves he will make before October. He's done quite a bit since Pegula took over.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:53 PM
  #46
1970
Registered User
 
1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: Poland
Posts: 2,420
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
Roy alone for a 2nd round pick is terrible. I know there's a lot of hate for him on the board, but C'MON MANNN!
It's just laughable. And I am not a Derek Roy fan. Gaustad got us a first round pick in return. Roy will get a greater return.

If the Sabres do trade Roy, i don't think it'll be in a 1-for-1 type deal, or a sell-off, like for a pick, but rather as part of a bigger deal. Roy+ for something.

1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:55 PM
  #47
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 View Post
It's just laughable. And I am not a Derek Roy fan. Gaustad got us a first round pick in return. Roy will get a greater return.

If the Sabres do trade Roy, i don't think it'll be in a 1-for-1 type deal, or a sell-off, like for a pick, but rather as part of a bigger deal. Roy+ for something.
at the draft .... you're probably right.

at the deadline.... you're probably wrong.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:57 PM
  #48
1970
Registered User
 
1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: Poland
Posts: 2,420
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
at the draft .... you're probably right.

at the deadline.... you're probably wrong.
Depends on what kind of season he's having. I don't see why he couldn't bring back a Jeff Carter type return if he is having a solid season.

1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:58 PM
  #49
Dubi Doo
Registered User
 
Dubi Doo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I would be surprised if they move Roy to just add to the future of the team.

Also, I don't see too many teams ahead of the Sabres in the draft wanting one year of Roy at $5.5M in real cash.
Well, you have to look at the big picture. Trading Roy for futures seems a bit silly, but if we package another pick and prospect for a very good 2 way center, then it evens out. We just get a need and a minor shake up.

I think there will be teams willing to take a chance on roys contract in hopes of re signing him in the offseason.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:58 PM
  #50
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 34,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 View Post
Depends on what kind of season he's having. I don't see why he couldn't bring back a Jeff Carter type return if he is having a solid season.
really? you don't see why?

i'll give you a hint : years

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.