HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sather's future?

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2006, 08:28 PM
xander

vCash: 500
Sather's future?

::: Disclaimer: This thread is not meant to evaluate or discuss the Job that Glenn Sather has done over the last 8 years. If you want to discuss that please do so elsewhere:::

I mentioned this in another thread, but I thought it deserved it's own.

It's pretty common knowledge that Maloney and Renney have been handling most of the scouting and player evaluating over the last few years, as well as running the draft. And acording to ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2352601) these two recent trades where orchestrated by Maloney.

If Sather's letting Maloney run the draft and work the phones, then what exactly is he doing? We know he was watching the Olympics and that he's been occasionally spotted in Hartford. But there are really the tasks of a scout or a consultant, not a GM.

So the question is: If Maloney is already the defacto GM (which it sounds like he is) how long is it until Sather officially steps down? If/when he does so, will he be kept on in a consultant type role?

Any thoughts?

Old
03-09-2006, 08:41 PM
DarthSather99

Consultant...Sather will be made President.

Old
03-09-2006, 08:59 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
He'll be canonized.

03-09-2006, 09:22 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
He'll be canonized.

I hope that means being shot out of a cannon to Banff Canada.

Old
03-09-2006, 09:32 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I like Sather, he has turned it around here by listening to the guys he has hired. Who cares what the definition of a GM is, if he wants to take part in scouting then let him because then he wont make the stupid deals he has made the last few years. Maybe all that scouting Hartford is saving prospects like Dawes, Immonen, Pock, Baranka, and Montoya. In fact because of that I'm glad he's scouting.

I'd keep Sather around and I dont think he's leaving until they win the cup.

Old
03-09-2006, 09:37 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch
I like Sather, he has turned it around here by listening to the guys he has hired. Who cares what the definition of a GM is, if he wants to take part in scouting then let him because then he wont make the stupid deals he has made the last few years. Maybe all that scouting Hartford is saving prospects like Dawes, Immonen, Pock, Baranka, and Montoya. In fact because of that I'm glad he's scouting.

I believe Renney/Maloney have done the bulk of the leg work the last three years when we have completely turned around the organization...better trades, better picking at the draft, giving young players a chance to win a roster spot. Sather still had input but was basically a beaten man and let the younger guys do the leg work.

Old
03-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Edge

My guess is Sather stands a good shot of becoming President with Maloney as GM.

If the Rangers win the cup, I'd put money on it.

Old
03-10-2006, 12:22 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge

Isn't Sather the President now? I'm almost positive he has been since day 1. If so, we are half way there.

Edit: http://www.newyorkrangers.com/team/frontoffice/

Sather is President/GM of the New York Rangers.

Old
03-10-2006, 12:27 AM
KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
I believe Renney/Maloney have done the bulk of the leg work the last three years when we have completely turned around the organization...better trades, better picking at the draft, giving young players a chance to win a roster spot. Sather still had input but was basically a beaten man and let the younger guys do the leg work.
Why do you believe that? or where did you hear that they are doing most of the work now... just wondering because i havent read or heard anything like that.

Old
03-10-2006, 01:36 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch

I'm with you, if they are winning, I do not care what they call themselves. Sather wants to be GM/President fine. Sather wants to be food and beverage director, fine. Sather wants to be entertainment coordinator, fine. Sather wants to be head custodian? fine. So long as they win.

Old
03-10-2006, 04:07 AM
bigblue21

[QUOTE=Edge]My guess is Sather stands a good shot of becoming President with Maloney as GM.

If the Rangers win the cup, I'd put money on it.[/QUOTE]

1st time we've seen that sentence in 7 years.

Old
03-10-2006, 05:45 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Logically that is what is bound to happen.

Donnie & Tom have worked extremely well together from the get go. It is very important that the two of them are constantly on the same page and share the same common ground as to how a team is constructed and what kind of player they want on the NYRs and the kind of players they draft.

Anyone who is in management knows full well that the sign of a good manager is one who recognizes managerial talent, brings them in and allows them to do their job(s). Over that past 4-5 years our internal organization has been completely overhauled. The organization has spent huge sums of $ to bring in many, many quality guys into the scouting & development side of the organization. That is how you rebuild an organization. Maloney & Renney were the 1st two acquisitions that Slats made and they were the keys. Maloney was retained, Renney brought in.
When these 2 take over, if in fact they haven't already, it will ensure the continuity will continue, another element that has been lacking.

Old
03-10-2006, 05:58 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Slats already is the President of the NYR.

Old
03-10-2006, 07:52 AM
shoothepuck

Sather is basically entrenched in this organization, and its good for the team, that he has Don and Tom to do what they are supposed to do and that's to get this team back to winning hockey games.

Old
03-10-2006, 08:21 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge

I agree. I think that Sather has slowly but surely been transitioning himself into such a role. Meaning only the role of President and not the dual duties of being a GM as well.

Old
03-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I agree. I think that Sather has slowly but surely been transitioning himself into such a role. Meaning only the role of President and not the dual duties of being a GM as well.
Exactly.

I think he want's to "leave" a winner so he can say he did his job.

Old
03-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

either way when he leaves....he will leave this team in much better shape than when he got here.

A lot of posters will run and hide from that comment however..

Old
03-10-2006, 06:50 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
either way when he leaves....he will leave this team in much better shape than when he got here.

A lot of posters will run and hide from that comment however..
Well, simply making the playoffs makes that statement true. But it is a better team none the less.

Old
03-10-2006, 08:46 PM
natureboy*

Sather golfs and fishes with dolan.

Closed Thread