HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens get Arnason for Bochenski and 2nd rounder...

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2006, 09:01 AM
trentmccleary

vCash: 500
Hamel Jr.? Career AHL'er?

He's back in the minors on what amounts to a conditioning stint after he came back from his shoulder injury. He'll probably have a fine career on the 2nd line for Chicago once he gets settled in.

Old
03-10-2006, 09:11 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
Hamel Jr.? Career AHL'er?

He's back in the minors on what amounts to a conditioning stint after he came back from his shoulder injury. He'll probably have a fine career on the 2nd line for Chicago once he gets settled in.
Yeah, I'm a little suprised by these descriptions of Bochenski. I think he's shown that he's can defintely find a role for himself in the NHL. One, people have to remember how hard it is to crack Ottawa's line-up right now, and two, that he only lost his spot the second time due to injury.

BTW, regarding Hamel and Schastlivy:

Hamel, 138 GP, 14 G, 9 A, 23 P
Schastlivy 129 GP, 18 G, 22 A, 40 P
Bochenski 20 GP, 6 G, 7 A, 13 P

Bochenski has produced with the opportunities that he's had. I don't think it's fair to group him with those other guys.

Old
03-10-2006, 10:50 AM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
Bochenski is turning into Hamel Jr.

Great in the AHL...can't put it together in the NHL.
This is just ... wrong.

Bo may not have the most multi-dimensional game but he'll have a decent NHL career. He put too much pressure on himself during the first stint at the beginning of the year, but when he came back he produced with limited icetime and linemates.

I think there's a reasonable chance he could outproduce Vermette, pointwise, over their respective careers. Not that I would choose Bo over Vermie, mind you.

Old
03-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Alfie#11

It's par for the course that people start diminshing a player once he leaves town. That's unforutnate but it seems to be the case.

Old
03-10-2006, 12:10 PM
PlayItAgain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie#11
It's par for the course that people start diminshing a player once he leaves town. That's unforutnate but it seems to be the case.
I think its going to be real tough for Bo in Chicago. He struggled mightily when he had the pressure on to produce here in Ottawa. It was only when he played a reduced role that he saw some success.

Make no mistake, he is going to be heavily relied upon in Chicago to score. A target for sure. I guess we'll see how he handles that type of weight on his shoulders.

Old
03-10-2006, 12:38 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItAgain
I think its going to be real tough for Bo in Chicago. He struggled mightily when he had the pressure on to produce here in Ottawa. It was only when he played a reduced role that he saw some success.

Make no mistake, he is going to be heavily relied upon in Chicago to score. A target for sure. I guess we'll see how he handles that type of weight on his shoulders.
Have you eliminated the confounding variables?
Found it tough to produce while facing top line pressure and playing LW instead of RW and playing with two stars who need the puck, one of whom plays a similar game in Heatley, and it was his first month in the NHL.

Old
03-10-2006, 01:08 PM
PlayItAgain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
Have you eliminated the confounding variables?
Found it tough to produce while facing top line pressure and playing LW instead of RW and playing with two stars who need the puck, one of whom plays a similar game in Heatley, and it was his first month in the NHL.
Excuses. You see something that confounded his problems. I saw something that should have made his life easier. Bochenski is not the primary threat on that top line. The opposing team focused on Spezza and Heatley instead of an unknown rookie.

Nevertheless, my point still stands. I guess we'll see how Bo handles being one of the goto guys in Chicago where he will not have confounding variables...

Old
03-10-2006, 01:14 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I think Bochenski suffered from the same syndrome Vermette did when playing with more highly skilled players: they want to contribute and collaborate but they also don't want to get in the way and screw things up.

It's not surprising that both players play better when they are the primary offensive threat on their lines.

If this theory holds, Vermette won't be a real stand-out with Spezza and Heatley (if they play together). Of course, I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

Old
03-10-2006, 01:24 PM
IranCondraAffair

The league is full of players who can put up points when they're the primary creative force on their line and the puck’s on their stick. It takes a different kind of player who can thrive when they're forced to let the play develop and act creatively without the puck.

...see Hossa, Marian vs. Heatley, Dany.

Old
03-10-2006, 01:50 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioJoe
The league is full of players who can put up points when they're the primary creative force on their line and the puck’s on their stick. It takes a different kind of player who can thrive when they're forced to let the play develop and act creatively without the puck.

...see Hossa, Marian vs. Heatley, Dany.
Yup, I can't see Hossa-Spezza-Alfredsson working as successfully. (were Marian to play the left-side)

Heatley plays as well without the puck in the offensive zone as he does with it, maybe even better without it.

It's refreshing on a team where our modus operandi used to revolve around one player on every line trying to go through the entire team and score.

Old
03-10-2006, 02:07 PM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
Yup, I can't see Hossa-Spezza-Alfredsson working as successfully. (were Marian to play the left-side)

Heatley plays as well without the puck in the offensive zone as he does with it, maybe even better without it.

It's refreshing on a team where our modus operandi used to revolve around one player on every line trying to go through the entire team and score.

Not to take anything away from them, but Hossa, Alfie, and Havlat have similar skill-sets and all play the same position. This may have been what Martin had intended when he built this team, but with a new coach came a new team philosophy.

Before, sens players maximized their production by focusing their energies on their OWN game and focusing on what THEY could do to improve, without relying on other team mates to put forth similar efforts. I believe this brought accountability to a fledgling organization.

Now, players are put on lines so that their skills compliment each other and they develop chemistry, but by doing so, their singular capabilities can be minimized...

Which is better? I really don't know

..p.s: sorry for the rambling

Old
03-10-2006, 02:11 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie#11
I find it pretty pathetic to be honest.

Old
03-10-2006, 02:59 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert
I find it pretty pathetic to be honest.

Old
03-10-2006, 08:53 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItAgain
Excuses. You see something that confounded his problems. I saw something that should have made his life easier. Bochenski is not the primary threat on that top line. The opposing team focused on Spezza and Heatley instead of an unknown rookie.

Nevertheless, my point still stands. I guess we'll see how Bo handles being one of the goto guys in Chicago where he will not have confounding variables...
Confounding variables are your problem, not his. You've made a conclusion with out ruling out equally possible reasons.
His role, experience, confidence, position, linemates and opposition changed in December and you've magically identified his role as the answer.

The truth is that Bo has not played enough NHL games to really understand what the problem was in October. Much less conclude that it will persist into a career that could last 15 years.

Old
03-10-2006, 08:54 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

I thought Arnason looked pretty good tonight...even showed some defensive awareness...what did you guys think of his performance tonight? I hope to see him move on to the second power play unit gradually...

Old
03-10-2006, 08:57 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
I thought Arnason looked pretty good tonight...even showed some defensive awareness...what did you guys think of his performance tonight? I hope to see him move on to the second power play unit gradually...
Yeah, I was a bit disappointed he wasn't out there. The PP was awful (again). He looked good when he played, which wasn't a lot.

Closed Thread