HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jason Garrison

Old
04-19-2012, 09:52 PM
FrontenacSens

vCash: 500
Jason Garrison

He's a UFA, I think Ottawa can get him pretty cheap(3-4yrs and mil).
He would be perfect for the PowerPlay with Karlsson or even on the 2nd PP with Gonchar.

FrontenacSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:54 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Apparently his agent is going to be asking for around $4.5M+, and honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see someone give it to him.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:55 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
He'll command ~5 mil per for at least 3 years.

Outside of Suter, he's probably the best option on D available in FA.

If we could sign him cheaper, wouldn't mind the Stars targeting him. But not for what he'll command.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Wpgpage

Hes an excellent defender 3.8-4.2M over 3-5 years is probably about what he's worth, given this FA environment I could see him getting 4.5M +. I hope the Jets make a run he would be just what they need on the left side.

Wpgpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
He is the 2nd best D on the market so good luck getting him "cheap"

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:31 PM
FrontenacSens

I was just guessing, but 4.5 seems fair

FrontenacSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Jonas1235

Who knows what kind of player he actually is. He is insulated pretty good in florida. Wasn't Brett Clark in the same position too a few years ago. How has he turned out.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 10:54 PM
IranCondraAffair

He's going to get paid 4.0-5.0 million, don't kid yourself, he's not some hidden gem. He's a good player with a short track record that is going to be a high-risk/high-reward signing.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:34 AM
ncredible

I can see Edmonton throwing money his way.

ncredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 06:14 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Garrison has Dallas Stars written all over him. Joe Nieuwendyk was a member of the Panthers organization when the Panthers signed Garrison. Nieuwendyk scouted him and recommended the Panthers sign him. The Stars have a need for another top 4 D. The new owner has the bucks to spend. They probably won't get Ryan Suter. Garrison can help the Stars anemic power play.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 06:20 AM
StuckOutHere

My goodness, someone is going to make a huge mistake with this guy.

StuckOutHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 06:24 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
If Tallon can get him signed for $4-4.5M per yr, he could easily stay with FL. I'd actually be willing to take a chance and give him a big 1 yr deal to keep him with the Panthers ($6M for 1 yr), I doubt any other team would be able to go that high too. I'd like to keep him longer but at the same time, the Panthers have guys like Colby Robak and Alex Petrovic eventually going to need to be integrated soon (Robak is probably 1 yr away, Petrovic is most likely 2-3).

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 06:32 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Would be a perfect partner for Alex Pietrangelo. This is the guy for whom Blues fans have been clamoring. There will be a market for his services and I think whoever signs him will have to pay 5M and either 4 or 5 years. I'd pay 5M for Garrison before I'd pay 7M for Suter.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:07 AM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Would be a perfect partner for Alex Pietrangelo. This is the guy for whom Blues fans have been clamoring. There will be a market for his services and I think whoever signs him will have to pay 5M and either 4 or 5 years. I'd pay 5M for Garrison before I'd pay 7M for Suter.
Oh god no. St. Louis, fiscally, can't afford to take gambles. Garrison is a huge one.

Old
04-20-2012, 07:28 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
Oh god no. St. Louis, fiscally, can't afford to take gambles. Garrison is a huge one.
He's been rock solid defensively for two seasons. He's big, plays in all situations, plays against top lines, eats minutes. This season he showed how effective his howitzer can be, and that he can be a scary weapon when joining the rush he can really step into his shot. But even if that didn't hit the net quite as often, playing the tons of minutes and making smart decisions defensively is what the Blues need from that specific spot. Because he's been so good defensively and because in sports it happens often enough that a guy develops a bit later but is for real, I'd take the risk where I might not with other players. I'd try to get him at 4 x 4.5M if I could, but I think the bid will go higher.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:33 AM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
He's been rock solid defensively for two seasons. He's big, plays in all situations, plays against top lines, eats minutes. This season he showed how effective his howitzer can be, and that he can be a scary weapon when joining the rush he can really step into his shot. But even if that didn't hit the net quite as often, playing the tons of minutes and making smart decisions defensively is what the Blues need from that specific spot. Because he's been so good defensively and because in sports it happens often enough that a guy develops a bit later but is for real, I'd take the risk where I might not with other players. I'd try to get him at 4 x 4.5M if I could, but I think the bid will go higher.
I would rather pay $7M for Suter and know what I'm getting then pay what could be over $5M for Garrison and have it turn around and bite ya.

Old
04-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
My goodness, someone is going to make a huge mistake with this guy.
Same with Wideman

Ever see his defense? Wow

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Suter is a proven top 5 NHL defenseman. Garrison is a top pairing defenseman for Florida, he doesn't have a great pedigree, and up to this point he's only really had 1 good season.

I'm guessing you're one of those folks who buys no name brand Ketchup at the grocery store?

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 08:49 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Suter is a proven top 5 NHL defenseman. Garrison is a top pairing defenseman for Florida, he doesn't have a great pedigree, and up to this point he's only really had 1 good season.

I'm guessing you're one of those folks who buys no name brand Ketchup at the grocery store?
Ketchup is Ketchup. It all tastes the same to me anyway, haha.

I'll be honest, I didn't even know who Garrison was until blues fans started talking about him on our board. Well, if he garners as much interest as shown on these boards, he could command a good payday. UFA just scares me. Not too many bargain signings out there anymore.

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Wpgpage

He's had almost 200 games of being a rock in his own end, while the offensives is unproven I think its a pretty fair assumption that he will continue to eat tough minutes for whatever team he goes to. Was 33rd in GA/60 among defensemen last year and was 20th this year. Also proved this year that he could continue that play with a partner who is slightly more offensively inclined in Campbell. For good shut down D with limited offensive upside the market has been right around 4M so something slightly higher than that would be fair. Would not go above 4.5 though that has bad investment written all over it.

Wpgpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Akonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncredible View Post
I can see Edmonton throwing money his way.
I have that feeling too. Expecting them to throw big money too.

Akonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post

2 good seasons. He's pretty proven considering how tough his minutes in Florida are.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Soundwave

I could see the Oilers offering a pretty front loaded contract ala

7.5/7/4.5/3/2.5 = 4.9 cap hit.

To scare off other suitors.

I dunno know though ... is this guy the real deal? How good is he defensively? Is he physical?

Last edited by Soundwave: 04-20-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Nuck This

I'd like to think he'd take a hometown discount to play here but seeing as how he's not the youngest player and has kinda broke out, he'll go for the biggest pay day.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Drydenwasthebest

I like Garrison, and wouldn't mind Montreal offering him 4.5-5 mil. I prefer him to Suter because I truly do not think Suter will be as good without Weber on his other side (which we have actually seen when Weber missed time). Without Weber, Suter's offence lapses. Garrison is also far more physical, strong, and combative than Suter, which is more of a need in Montreal. I want other teams to go after Suter, and hope that leaves Garrison for us... I know, I know, it is a pipe dream, but let me have my dreams...

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote