HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Playoff Discussion Thread VIII - Second Round Match-ups Set

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2012, 12:29 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

vCash: 500
Remember when Anaheim and Edmonton met in the WCF in 2006? And everyone was saying how similar both teams were, riding hot goaltending and heroic playoff performances as underdogs?

I look forward to watching Phoenix/St. Louis/LA/Nashville play each other. I hope they frustrate the hell out of each other only to be pounded by whoever comes out of the East.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
04-20-2012, 12:57 AM
Gamefreak
Bee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Ken Hitchcock is boss.
It's hard to cheer for StL with him at the helm. Even though the Blues have never won the Cup, it'll feel like '99 all over again, especially with the way he has them playing.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:01 AM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Remember when Anaheim and Edmonton met in the WCF in 2006? And everyone was saying how similar both teams were, riding hot goaltending and heroic playoff performances as underdogs?

I look forward to watching Phoenix/St. Louis/LA/Nashville play each other. I hope they frustrate the hell out of each other only to be pounded by whoever comes out of the East.
You make it sound like St Louis and Nashville are underdogs... ?

Old
04-20-2012, 01:02 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
You make it sound like St Louis and Nashville are underdogs... ?
Moreso the point that all four teams play essentially the same style of game, although Phoenix is probably the most passive out of all of them.

And the fact that all four are led by defensive minded coaches that can make any goaltender look good.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:09 AM
vb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post

I remember the flu, thinking wtf happened in the 3rd period of game 3, by the end of game 4 convinced we were screwed, in the last few minutes of game 5 when Pronger shot the puck over the glass I thought that was really *** it... but I was pleasantly surprised.

Come to think of it - that was the last time this franchise really satisfied us on the ice.

Sam Gagner 8 point nights, Cogliano OT winners, Garon SO's etc have been nice but not nearly as important.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:12 AM
vb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post
It's hard to cheer for StL with him at the helm. Even though the Blues have never won the Cup, it'll feel like '99 all over again, especially with the way he has them playing.
STL / SJ is easily the most boring series of the first round. You couldn't pay me to watch it. Hopefully the next STL series is more entertaining otherwise there should be a rule against Hitchcock.

Old
04-20-2012, 08:13 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I don't know the tune, maybe you could hum a few bars.
It was an actual question. Remember last year when TB made it past the first round they had a huge schedule problem and had to pay the circus or whatever it was out.

Either way I take back everything I said as Bos-WSH are playing back to back this weekend.

Old
04-20-2012, 08:16 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
St Louis was probably the worst possible matchup for them. San Jose went 0-4 against them in the regular season and cannot solve St Louis' system
Yep. That's why when doing hockey pools it's a good idea to check these things out before taking 5 sharks in a 8 team 10 player draft.

Old
04-20-2012, 08:25 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Stl. Nash. Phx. LA.

Boring hockey wins games, guys.

Old
04-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I have a funny feeling that if it was Nashville on the winning end of that **** show, you'd be blowing a gasket by now.

Second game in a row that the Hawks find a way to lose, though tonight was worse than Tuesday. Phoenix again manages three goals on the scoreboard after generating barely that many scoring chances the entire game. I wonder if the Hawks go to Emery in Game 5, they can't possibly have any faith left in Crawford.

The Hawks just don't have the grit or the execution to get it done this year. The team that lost to the Canucks last year showed ten times the tenacity and heart that these guys have. Maybe they find a spark and turn it around, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Between the lack of energy, Crawford's buffoonery, and the farcical officiating this has been frustration at its finest. Can't help but tip my cap to Tippett though. To be on his way to round two with that roster is incredible. The Coyotes would have been worse than the Oilers without him.
I've stated the point before. The Preds win many games on the basis of Rinne alone. Or at least Rinne with the help of Suter and Weber. The Preds in past seasons have often been outplayed badly and with a popgun offense that would make the 1995 Oilers look good.

Coyotes is a full balanced effort from players buying in. All the skaters are playing their game and I actually disagree with you, the Yotes outplayed the Hawks in game 3.
Also, its been the Hawks being exceedingly lucky just to get to OT 3 times in this series. Its not like its the Yotes getting freaking lucky scoring in the last few seconds.

The Hawks problem is the hawks problem and in a nutshell being guilty of not matching effort in any of the games. If the Hawks lose this series I don't know how they can look in the mirror. Since their SC effort they've been a bit complacent and not leaving everything on the ice. The reason they lost against Vancouver last year as well. Just the other team wanting it more. Thats inexcusable with the talent on this Hawks team. They should be ashamed.

Old
04-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb View Post
STL / SJ is easily the most boring series of the first round. You couldn't pay me to watch it. Hopefully the next STL series is more entertaining otherwise there should be a rule against Hitchcock.
Blues might be an acquired taste but you have to appreciate the solid dedicated play and the depth in that lineup. I don't think this is their year but there could be a cup in that lineup. Its that good. Not sure what the problem is with Hitchcock. He could coach my team any year. Guy does nothing but build winners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Stl. Nash. Phx. LA.

Yep, I'm toning down my shtick on Nashville as well, they've rounded out their forward lineup now and are truly dangerous. Could go far.

Its interesting that the WC has now at least 4 teams playing a better team game than anything I'm seeing out East this year. This seems to be the playoffs where the East is having an off year. Last season it was the Canucks that got largely a free ride against less than stellar efforts/teams.

Old
04-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Philly85
Moody'

I don't think Nashville is that boring to be honest. Phoenix has great puck movers on their blueline and some decent forwards up front. Wouldn't necessarily call them boring hockey either, the series has been phenomenal. Maybe the Hawks just bring it out of them though, who knows. LA is bearable when they play physical and they definitely have some very good players on their roster.

To me the most absolutely boring, borderline unwatchable series is SJ/STL. St. Louis in particular is a snoozefest to watch. It's weird... You look at their roster and no one jumps out aside from 2, maybe 3 players. I'm convinced this is just a masterful coaching job done by Hitchcock. I don't like him, the Blues or the Sharks personally but it's about time SJ got put to bed and have their window slammed shut. In this case I am for the Blues ridding themselves of the Sharks as quickly as possible. Tired of seeing Thornton, Marleau et al., season after season in the playoffs.

West is gonna look different come round 2. Nashville, Phoenix, St.Louis and LA potentially? My how the times are changing. Out of that group, if those are the teams who indeed advance... I like Nashville to go the furthest. Interesting playoffs this season.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:39 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Ranking each of the 8 series in terms of exciting-ness, well, because I can.
Rangers/Ott - These teams are surprisingly evenly matched, trading chances and having hold-your-breath moments throughout the series
Philly/Pitts - Was going tobe first, but I cannot forget how boring the third period of the last game was. Too many goals spoiling the fun?
Pho/Chi - Can't see why people hate on this series! It's so damn exciting and you get to pick an overtime winner every game!
Nsh/Detroit - Especially because Detroit keeps screwing up. There's a surprising amount of speed from Nashville - is it because Detroit's too old?
Flo/NJ - Was quite exciting up until the bore-fest that was Devil's hockey last game. Florida needs to stop being so damn hot and cold.
Wash/Bos - Should have been twice as exciting as it actually is. Instead, Holtby is ruining everything
Van/LA - It's fun-ish to watch the Kings beat the Nucks, but it's stifling, boring hockey.
StL/SJ - Snoozefest

There's a real drop off after the first four. Swap 5-7 in any order. 8 stays where it is.

Old
04-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Taiwan news talks about the violence in hockey. Very entertaining, and the refs wear suits.

Old
04-20-2012, 02:57 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post

Taiwan news talks about the violence in hockey. Very entertaining, and the refs wear suits.
The man in the suit is Shanahan.

Old
04-20-2012, 03:10 PM
ales83fan

wtf, is that supposed to be news?

Old
04-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Stl. Nash. Phx. LA.

It's crazy that none of those teams have won a cup before.

Old
04-20-2012, 03:54 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post
It's crazy that none of those teams have won a cup before.
It's also crazy that I have no idea who I would pick out of those teams to advance. Probably Stl or Nash I guess.

Old
04-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Where's awesomo? Wonder if he still thinks the Canucks are legit Cup contenders.

Old
04-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Where's awesomo? Wonder if he still thinks the Canucks are legit Cup contenders.
Shh. I'm getting paranoid about a comeback.

Old
04-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Don't be paranoid.

Old
04-20-2012, 05:05 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
It's possible, but it isn't likely. Quick has had a hell of a season and I'd put him up against any goalie in the league right now. LA may not be able to score, but Quick should keep them in every game, and the bounces can't always go Vancouver's way like they did in game 4.

So long as LA goes back to the physical brand of hockey that got them a 3-0 lead, I don't think we need to be too concerned. Knock on wood.

Old
04-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Well, if the Kings haven't scored more than one goal through the halfway point of Game Five I'm going to be in full-blown panic mode.

Old
04-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I've stated the point before. The Preds win many games on the basis of Rinne alone. Or at least Rinne with the help of Suter and Weber. The Preds in past seasons have often been outplayed badly and with a popgun offense that would make the 1995 Oilers look good.
Phoenix has employed the exact same strategy that Nashville did last year against Vancouver, the one that drove you nuts. Extremely passive, block a bunch of shots, hope for a turnover and a garbage goal.

Quote:
Also, its been the Hawks being exceedingly lucky just to get to OT 3 times in this series. Its not like its the Yotes getting freaking lucky scoring in the last few seconds.
The Yotes have opened themselves up to getting scored on in the final seconds by trying to nurse home one-goal leads for too long. When you let the opposition attack without pushback, eventually they're going to score.

And if we're going to talk about luck, it's pretty obvious who's been on the receiving end of almost all of it. Two of the weakest OT goals you will ever see, the no call on Torres injuring Hossa, the Shaw suspension, the bogus early wistle that cost the Hawks a goal last night, and the overall putrid level of officiating that has favoured Phoenix at almost every turn.

Quote:
The Hawks problem is the hawks problem and in a nutshell being guilty of not matching effort in any of the games. If the Hawks lose this series I don't know how they can look in the mirror. Since their SC effort they've been a bit complacent and not leaving everything on the ice. The reason they lost against Vancouver last year as well. Just the other team wanting it more. Thats inexcusable with the talent on this Hawks team. They should be ashamed.
They should be ashamed of themselves, I definitely agree with this. If they played as hard against the Coyotes as they do against Vancouver, Detroit, and the like, this series would likely be 3-1 in their favour by now, despite all the crap that's worked against them. Sharp and Stalberg have been total no-shows, and Keith, Toews, and Kane have left much to be desired as well. Seabrook, Bickell, and Frolik (a healthy scratch in the first two games!) have been their three best players up to this point, and that won't win you many playoff series.

Old
04-20-2012, 06:43 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
I'm hoping for a comeback. If Phoenix, Nashville, and St Louis all win as well, that means my Yotes get the Blues instead of the Preds

Closed Thread