HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Andrew Shaw's hit on Mike Smith(suspended 3 games)

Old
04-17-2012, 07:14 PM
InTOEWSweTrust
Free Morin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Except your feelings apparently.
My feelings aren't hurt I'd just rather talk hockEy with you silly yotes fans then fight about suspensions. I truly believe it was an accident so it's not worth fighting smith is ok and that's good let's talk hockey I don't wanna fight

InTOEWSweTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:21 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTOEWSweTrust View Post
My feelings aren't hurt I'd just rather talk hockEy with you silly yotes fans then fight about suspensions. I truly believe it was an accident so it's not worth fighting smith is ok and that's good let's talk hockey I don't wanna fight
You don't want to fight, yet you come in here calling us "Silly Yotes fans".

Chicago logic.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:26 PM
InTOEWSweTrust
Free Morin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
You don't want to fight, yet you come in here calling us "Silly Yotes fans".

Chicago logic.
Pretty amazing how you all find everything insulting, especially when I mean no harm, good luck tonight and the rest of series

InTOEWSweTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:33 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTOEWSweTrust View Post
Pretty amazing how you all find everything insulting, especially when I mean no harm, good luck tonight and the rest of series
Fo sho

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:35 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Don't want to run the risk of being insulting? You aren't obligated to stop by. You can skip it.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:55 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelugasandBHawks View Post
Hawks fan here. Before I start, I wanted to let you know I come in peace and mean no harm against your fan-base or anybody that roots for the Coyotes.

Let me just say that three games is an absolute joke. Shaw did not deliberately make contact with Smith's head, he was trying to grab the puck from one of the best, if not the best himself, puck handling goaltenders of all time. Shaw over-skated the turn and tried to get out of the way, but it was too late.

In the video, you can see Shaw's hips swaying the opposite direction of Smith. Because physics exist, his head is not going to move simultaneously with his hips. And one thing that doesn't make sense here: a 5'10" rookie somehow hitting a 6'+ goaltender in the chin with his shoulder.

BBH.
Folks this sums up some of what I said pages ago.... Again, the play itself is a set play... One forechecker attacks the weak side, second forward immediately heads to weak side to pick off the rim. Shaw's mistake was coming in too direct, slightly more angle and he likely misses Smith... However, as I quoted the rule earlier and still do not believe the contact itself was intentional... Was it unnecessary is the question. I think Shanny got it wrong when he says "The contact Shaw makes with Smith is not incidental; rather, it is a forceful blow delivered by Shaw's shoulder to Smith's chin." Shaw does not lunge toward, thrust toward or direct his shoulder toward Smith. In addition the overhead view shows helmet to helmet contact. I would be interested in seeing a reverse angle of the play. Smith is in the motion of playing the puck, Shaw flinches and his already standing straight up. If he wanted to intentionally hit Smith he would have made a motion toward him and would have been braced to hit him... The contact was as a result of two opposing players going after the puck. So "unnecessary" is debateable. It is "necessary" for Shaw to try and get the puck, he could have chosen a different angle yes. So, I too agree that three games is too much.

Folks go to www.tsn.ca if you want some real coverage of this. Also if you look at the comments by fans on that site, the majority agree it was too much, not consistent and others deserve more... They also hit the nail on the head with Smith diving too. Folks, it's a dive. Skater or goalie, that's a dive. A full neck crank, jumping spin o rama followed up by clutching a face mask (?), and writhing around is a dive. There should have been a penalty for unsportmanslike conduct on Smith. Smith's playing tonight too... If he was concussed, he wouldn't be playing. We've gone over that already.

PokeCheck101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 07:57 PM
awfulwaffle

thanks for the input pokecheck!

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:04 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeCheck101 View Post
Folks this sums up some of what I said pages ago.... Again, the play itself is a set play... One forechecker attacks the weak side, second forward immediately heads to weak side to pick off the rim. Shaw's mistake was coming in too direct, slightly more angle and he likely misses Smith... However, as I quoted the rule earlier and still do not believe the contact itself was intentional... Was it unnecessary is the question. I think Shanny got it wrong when he says "The contact Shaw makes with Smith is not incidental; rather, it is a forceful blow delivered by Shaw's shoulder to Smith's chin." Shaw does not lunge toward, thrust toward or direct his shoulder toward Smith. In addition the overhead view shows helmet to helmet contact. I would be interested in seeing a reverse angle of the play. Smith is in the motion of playing the puck, Shaw flinches and his already standing straight up. If he wanted to intentionally hit Smith he would have made a motion toward him and would have been braced to hit him... The contact was as a result of two opposing players going after the puck. So "unnecessary" is debateable. It is "necessary" for Shaw to try and get the puck, he could have chosen a different angle yes. So, I too agree that three games is too much.

Folks go to www.tsn.ca if you want some real coverage of this. Also if you look at the comments by fans on that site, the majority agree it was too much, not consistent and others deserve more... They also hit the nail on the head with Smith diving too. Folks, it's a dive. Skater or goalie, that's a dive. A full neck crank, jumping spin o rama followed up by clutching a face mask (?), and writhing around is a dive. There should have been a penalty for unsportmanslike conduct on Smith. Smith's playing tonight too... If he was concussed, he wouldn't be playing. We've gone over that already.
Yup, the random pre-teens that post comments on tsn.ca is where I'm going to get my information from.

Give me a break, I'm done with you.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:06 PM
PokeCheck101

This talk of the GM's wanting to protect goalies is hipocritical. Goalies can chop the backs of players ankles (hurts like a b**ch by the way), cross check, blocker guys DIRECTLY to the head but as soon as someone remotely gets close to a goalie it's a complete melee after the whistle. What the NHL needs to do is clean up the double standard.

A goalie's crease is his castle and yes if an opposing player steps in, that goalie should be allowed to protect his territory. I have no problem with that. BUT when the same goalie steps out of his territory he should be called for the slash, cross check, trip or punch to the head. An NHL goal tender is arguably one of the most physically demanding positions to play so don't tell me the goalies are vulnerable or should somehow be looked at as feable or weak. When a goalie makes a conscious decision to leave his crease should there not be some accepted risk? They are wearing more padding then players for pete sakes. In fact I would suggest that goalies are taking far too many liberties when wandering around ie) impeding opposing players, shielding the puck to complete a pass, and running mild picks behind the net. For which they are very, very, very rarely called out on. I totally agree every situation is different and shouuld be looked at in the totality of the circumstances. A goalie is vulnerable when defending his crease and players are flying in at 35 mile and hour but when he's out wandering around playing the puck he should be viewed no more vulnerable then a skater.

Old
04-17-2012, 08:16 PM
XX
... Waiting

Someone thread ban him, please.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:17 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Yup, the random pre-teens that post comments on tsn.ca is where I'm going to get my information from.

Give me a break, I'm done with you.
Okay, if you don't like tsn try just a simple google and you'll get all kinds of differing opinion from various media outlets but there are a lot who say the suspension was too much, overkill and over the top. Shaw got a game misconduct for starters and Smith finished the game (?). I would have thought one game max. I base that on all my previous posts on the issue.

Shanny was feeling the heat, Shaw was made an example.

Now, hypothetically of course, if the situation is reversed tonight, knowing what you know, if Doan ( who I think is phenominal by the way - not to mention a good Canadian kid) did that same type of scenerio to the Hawks I suppose you would be okay with Doan getting a minimum now of 3 games? (Because Shanny set the precident right.... 3 games would be the start point)... Picture it though, Crawford flinging around, clutching the mask, writhing around, delaying the game for 5 min, finishing the game (stellarly I might add), missing practice but playing the very next game... You would be okay with how it played out?

Old
04-17-2012, 08:20 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Nobody cares, guy. Move along.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 08:22 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Someone thread ban him, please.
Guys I'm just simply expressing a point of view for the sake of discussion. I think the conversation on the topic has been great. I'd like to keep it that way.

What is everyone's thoughts on the double standard? Aside from this particular situation, surely posters can agree that goalies due take advantage of the rules on no contact.

With respect to retribution, the only way to get down to business is for either Shaw to square off when he returns or for two willing combatants to go at it right on first drop of the puck tonight, get it over with and move on.

Old
04-17-2012, 08:26 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Nobody cares, guy. Move along.
Still, I'll leave you with my scenario, no one has replied: Now, hypothetically of course, if the situation is reversed tonight, knowing what you know, if Doan ( who I think is phenominal by the way - not to mention a good Canadian kid) did that same type of scenerio to the Hawks I suppose you would be okay with Doan getting a minimum now of 3 games? (Because Shanny set the precident right.... 3 games would be the start point)... Picture it though, Crawford flinging around, clutching the mask, writhing around, delaying the game for 5 min, finishing the game (stellarly I might add), missing practice but playing the very next game... You would be okay with how it played out?

Moving on. Good luck on your cup run Coyote fans.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:49 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Wouldn't it be nice if Andrew Shaw had played his last game of this season? Come on guys, let's make sure it is by winning the third and final game he'll be missing due to suspension!

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:49 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jet View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if Andrew Shaw had played his last game of this season? Come on guys, let's make sure it is by winning the third and final game he'll be missing due to suspension!
I like the way you think

zz is offline   Reply With Quote