Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Suggestions for the Power Play?

Old
04-16-2012, 11:54 AM
patty59

vCash: 500
PP1 should be line 1, PP2 should be line 2. D should be Chara and Rolston and Seidenberg and Boychuk.

Why should the BEST 5 on 5 team change the lines on the PP? They juggle the lines all up on the PP and it looks like ****. Keep the lines the same. Give me 4 hard shooter from the point.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:47 PM
bigbadbruins1

more cycling down low. the PP is too "point" centric. Most of the cycling the B's do is from the face off dots and up, making it incredibly easy to defend and incredibly easy to counter attack. The B's have to start cycling below the dots, and using the real estate behind the net to become successful. Lucic is the player that comes to my mind that could really excel and run the show from down low.

also, The current style of PP that we run hinges on getting shots through from the point. This falls on Chara, Sieds, Corvo, Boychuck to move into open shooting lanes. They should look at tape of the Nashville PP. Weber has a nose for shooting lanes and can hit the net, and they base their PP around his abilities as the Bruins attempt to do with Chara.

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:59 PM
murphdasmurf2
@SieveOfDaNation

I honestly think the enigma of our PP sucking has sunk into the players It's not terrible, the personnel is there to be productive, the shots come (when we don't turn it over). There could be more traffic but the "formation" we use doesn't really loan itself to providing a ton of traffic from either of the point players at the half boards.

Plus, nobody wants to get in front of Chara, Rolston, or Boychuk's shots on either team, so using the big guns is almost counterproductive .

The personnel caters to using the points for the PP rather than focusing on plays down low.

I think for the PP, Seguin should stand in front of the net with a goalie's chest protector on (since he's the best IMO at deflecting pucks, SEGUIN WITH MAGIC HANDS!), and have Chara rifle them on net.

Other than that, I don't think anything will really help besides for potting a few and getting their confidence.

murphdasmurf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:03 PM
bp13

Here's my two-part question

1. Why did we take Rolston off the point on the unit with Chara only to replace him with Corvo, who couldn't hit water from the deck?

2. After moving Rolston off the point, why the hell did he find a spot up front over other, more viable candidates? We put him on the half boards on the left side so he could NOT get any shots off? Do we have him here for his hands and vision?

I love CJ but that move baffles me. If Rolston isn't a gunner from the point (and he should be), he should be on the bench on the PP. I'd much rather Pouliot or Kelly...all day.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 02:17 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
1. Why did we take Rolston off the point on the unit with Chara only to replace him with Corvo, who couldn't hit water from the deck?

2. After moving Rolston off the point, why the hell did he find a spot up front over other, more viable candidates? We put him on the half boards on the left side so he could NOT get any shots off? Do we have him here for his hands and vision?

I love CJ but that move baffles me. If Rolston isn't a gunner from the point (and he should be), he should be on the bench on the PP. I'd much rather Pouliot or Kelly...all day.
Amen- If Rollie ain't firing 'em he shouldn't be on the ice.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:

Totally agree with this post.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 03:57 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins1 View Post
more cycling down low. the PP is too "point" centric. Most of the cycling the B's do is from the face off dots and up, making it incredibly easy to defend and incredibly easy to counter attack. The B's have to start cycling below the dots, and using the real estate behind the net to become successful. Lucic is the player that comes to my mind that could really excel and run the show from down low.

also, The current style of PP that we run hinges on getting shots through from the point. This falls on Chara, Sieds, Corvo, Boychuck to move into open shooting lanes. They should look at tape of the Nashville PP. Weber has a nose for shooting lanes and can hit the net, and they base their PP around his abilities as the Bruins attempt to do with Chara.
This is exactly the way I see it too.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:43 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins1 View Post

I agree with this analysis.

I am also not averse to seeing the Bruins try what some others have suggested, and move Chara to the front of the net. But when he is down there he is more or less a decoy. Yes, he provides a great screen and is immovable, but he is not a great finisher near the net. This is one instance where I think the length of his stick actually hurts him, trying to get to pucks in close to his feet. But the move has sparked some power play productivity in the past, so maybe it is worth a shot.

If we could get a goal a game on the PP in this series, it would be over as good as over.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:42 AM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Quote:

^^^^This.^^^

Claude is way off on this. Corvo instead of Rolston on the PP point makes very little sense.

They need to start bombing shots (wrist shots, slap shots, anything) relentlessly at this rookie goaltender ASAP. Chara/Seids Johnny B/Rolston are your PP Dmen.

That is all.

No matter what, Soderberg would've scored there.
Pastrnak means "Eurolectric" in Czech. Look it up.
TheReal13Linseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Ever since we lost Savard our PP has been terrible. He really ran the PP and we haven't been able to find anyone to do it yet.

I think our best option is to play Seguin at Center on the #1 PP unit.

He can play wing for the rest of the game but for the PP he should be the #1 Center.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:52 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Ever since we lost Savard our PP has been terrible. He really ran the PP and we haven't been able to find anyone to do it yet.

I think our best option is to play Seguin at Center on the #1 PP unit.

He can play wing for the rest of the game but for the PP he should be the #1 Center.
Agree, needs Tb tried for the rest of this series unless he is a horror show.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:07 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Peach Fuzz power play

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:16 AM
microbrien
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Send a message via AIM to microbrien
Just put the third line on the ice.

/PP problems

microbrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:19 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbrien View Post
Just put the third line on the ice.

/PP problems
One thing is for sure, there wouldn`t be an issue with someone actually standing and staying in front of the net with that line.

I`d have no issues with a Paille-Bergy(gotta have one passer out there)-Thornton trio either for kicks, heck, couldn`t be any less effective could it??

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Stop working the puck along the boards and stop using only the left side of the ice. Start rotating the puck on both sides with swift passing, with Seguin shooting the puck or passing from the face-off dots.Force their PK to actually move. Cross ice feeds exist.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:48 AM
microbrien
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Send a message via AIM to microbrien
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
One thing is for sure, there wouldn`t be an issue with someone actually standing and staying in front of the net with that line.

I`d have no issues with a Paille-Bergy(gotta have one passer out there)-Thornton trio either for kicks, heck, couldn`t be any less effective could it??
That's the thing that really bothers me--at this point, why not take some risks? It can only get worse if you're giving up goals, but I don't see that happening no matter who you throw out there, so go for it, right?

I'd actually really like to see Bergy, Krejci, Seguin, Rolston, and Peverly on the ice, but I don't think it will happen.

microbrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Get Peverley off the point. Get Corvo off the team. Put Rolston on the point w/ Chara.

Give Pouliot and Kelly PP time. God, they're the only people along with Thomas, Chara, Rolston, and Seidenberg who has a desire to win. And they have the only goals. Why the hell should we have a PP filled with 0 point players? They'll never learn.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
Agree, needs Tb tried for the rest of this series unless he is a horror show.
Yeah Seguin should at least get the chance to play C on the PP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
Get Peverley off the point. Get Corvo off the team. Put Rolston on the point w/ Chara.

Give Pouliot and Kelly PP time. God, they're the only people along with Thomas, Chara, Rolston, and Seidenberg who has a desire to win. And they have the only goals. Why the hell should we have a PP filled with 0 point players? They'll never learn.
Just off the top of my head... Bergeron?

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:24 PM
RedeyeRocketeer

In the words of lil wayne, I bring it back ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM2XPUZTawM

So now a 1-3-1 powerplay, and it looks more worthless than the permutations they've tried going on a few years now. The one downside of keeping the roster so intact was that the powerplay stood no chance of improving.

The team is full of power forwards, and there's a clear inability to move the puck around in tight spots and as a cohesive unit. I'd have no issue moving a piece like Horton for someone a little more skilled with the puck on his stick.

Anyone else terrified of the short handed goals that might go the other way against the 1-3-1? Seems like the most vulnerable formation for this.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:30 PM
Rubber Biscuit
Noted Loui Apologist

My answer to the PP is to shoot the friggin puck. I don't see how throwing the puck into traffic in front of the net every chance you can is worse than passing back and forth at the point. As for my two PP units:

Marchand-Krejci-Chara-Seguin-Hamilton

Stick Chara in front of the net. Seguin and Hamilton at the points. Krejci dishes and Marchand shoots.

Lucic-Bergeron-Horton-Hamilton-Boychuk

Lucic parks his ass in front of the net. Bergeron dishes and Horton shoots. Hamilton and Boychuk at the points.

I understand I may be flawed in my thinking here, but that's just off the top of my head what I would try. I'd prefer to see Chara in front of the net setting up a massive screen rather than at the point. If the puck gets past and out of the zone, I'd prefer having speed rather than Chara's reach.

Rubber Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
I'm with Rubber Biscuit. They defiinately have to shoot more and I would add have a presence in front.

Last night I counted an average of 8 passes before a shot. That's too much. Need to raise havoc and fight for rebounds, IMO.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Sliney89

Honestly I'M all in favor of anything that keeps Ference or Seidenburg off the ice during a PP. To me that's already an improvement from last year. Not that they're horrible, just that putting the puck in the net isn't exactly their forte. I like the idea of a 1-3-1 PP as long as there are guys who can skate on the blue line. Hamilton fits, and Honestly id almost rather have Seguin back there than Chara, because the majority of SH opportunities are gonna be quick breakouts off turnovers and while Chara is obviously more defensively sound, Seguin is more likely to be able to make some kind of play on a guy like Grabner or Giroux because he can skate.

Unit 1
Krejci
Chara - Lucic - Marchand
Seguin
Unit 2
Bergy
Peverley- Horton- Bourque
Hamilton

This keeps big bodies in front of the net, and by putting Marchand on the right as a LH shot, and Pevs on the Left as a righty, all outside shooters are in a 1-time position on any pass.

Edit: Realized Chara is a LH shot and that sorta killed my last point

Unit 1
Krejci
Peverley-Lucic-Marchand
Hamilton
Unit 2
Bergy
Horton-Chara-Bourque
Seguin

Better.

Last edited by Sliney89: 01-26-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Sliney89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:59 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
In the words of lil wayne, I bring it back ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM2XPUZTawM

So now a 1-3-1 powerplay, and it looks more worthless than the permutations they've tried going on a few years now. The one downside of keeping the roster so intact was that the powerplay stood no chance of improving.

The team is full of power forwards, and there's a clear inability to move the puck around in tight spots and as a cohesive unit. I'd have no issue moving a piece like Horton for someone a little more skilled with the puck on his stick.

Anyone else terrified of the short handed goals that might go the other way against the 1-3-1? Seems like the most vulnerable formation for this.
Yeah, I'm not crazy about it.

It seems to me, that if you're going to be running a 1-3-1 on the powerplay, the point man up top needs to be able to move laterally in order to get away from pressure/create some passing lanes. He also needs to be able to move the puck quickly and accurately. Chara is no that man. Hamilton may be that player, but he needs to log the majority of the time, rookie or no rookie.

I don't think they need to shoot the puck more per-say, but they really need to take higher percentage shots. Work the puck and work the defense, get them to move, create passing/shooting lanes, move into those lanes and get good, quality shots.

Right now, the guy with the puck is not moving it quickly enough. Make the easy, high percentage pass. Once the defense starts to move, and gets out of position, then you can make a play. And the players without the puck need to move and get in positon for a pass if necessary. Find the open ice/passing lane and get there.

There was a play in the Isles game where Seguin had the puck on the wall...he passed it to Lucic in the corner...there was a lane there for Seguin to move towards the net, and who knows, maybe he gets the puck or at least opens something up for someone else, but he just stood there on the boards and nothing came of it. Right now, these guys just aren't seeing the plays that are there for them to make, and they are forcing plays that aren't there. It's so frustrating to watch.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:05 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
The Bruins had a chance to change the complexion of the game early on when they had multiple power play chances (one a 4 minute pp, albeit spread out over the 1st and 2nd periiod). Even though they won the cup last year with a mostly abysmal power play, I still think improvement on the unit will go along way towards their chances of repeating. Here are some things I would like to see done differently, wondering what you all think as well:

1A: The Personnel

I would like to see the personnel for the first power play unit to be the following:

Left Point: Seguin (more on that in a second)

Right Point: Chara-Still like his shot more than any other D man on the team, has some decent insticts as far as when to find an open passing lane and attack the net

Left Boards: Bergeron-Great play maker, terrific at protecting the puck, creating space and passing lanes

RIght Boards/net front/corner: Marchand-Think he is one of the more skilled guys on the team and would like to see him get more time on the power play in general

Net front/corner: Lucic- Best on the team at creating a screen in front, quick release on shot and hard to move out of the way

1B: More ice time for #1 Unit

I would like to see the number one power play unit, preferably the one I just mentioned, get the majority of the 2 minutes. Right now, it is pretty much split evenly between the two units, and I think it is more difficult for one unit to get anything going on the man advantage. There are times where one unit is working the puck well, and then they are taken off in favor of the other. Put your best players on the ice and keep them there.

2: Seguin on the Point

I feel like putting Seguin at the point will best use his ability to see the ice, while still making him a threat to shoot the puck, walk down towards the goal, or find the seam and head to the net for a one timer. Right now, because the Bruins generally just work the puck between the man on the half boards and the point, teams are pinning him up against the wall...I think working at the point would give him a bit more space. He basically is able to do what Peverly was doing before he got hurt, just better.

3. Work the Puck Down Low

As mentioned above, their tendency to work the puck the majority of the time between the man on the half boards and the point, and take the majority of their shots from the point, allows teams to section off that part of the ice, not respecting the lower portions of the zone. I feel like whoever that guy is in front of the net needs to release and come down low if the puck is on his side, and they need to use that behind the net area more often. Make the PK unit defend more of the ice and create more space for your playmakers up top.

Thoughts...
Just looking at my original post from last year (yes, I have quoted myself...so sue me) and noticing that much of this, in my mind, still applies. I would just replace Chara with Hamilton as far as personel goes.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:08 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Trade for Malkin