HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Boom Boom" Geoffrion will not attend retirement ceremony

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Hab-a-maniac

vCash: 500
Hopefully, Boom Boom will survive long enough so he can see the ceremony on TV. Remember this guy is a fighter. He nearly died from burst intestines resulting from an injury in practice back in 1958. If he's still conscious by tomorrow night, let's all hope he can get the tape or a satellite feed of the entire ceremony. Let's hope nothing grave like this comes up when we retire more numbers in the next 3 seasons (my guess for the next 3-Robinson, Dryden, S. Savard, then 2008-Gainey, Lemaire, posthumously for Bill Durnan, then 2009-Roy, Claude Provost who was a great defensive forward. From 55 to 71 he was part of 10 championships but never gets his due. And last one Jacques Laparriere).

Old
03-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent
The Boomer had insisted for the night to take place on March 11th, because March 11th is also the day that his father in law, the legendary Howie Morenz, had his public viewing at the Forum.

But it should have been March 11th 2004 or 2003 or 2002 or.....

Old
03-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
If anyone wants to use this... go ahead.

Old
03-10-2006, 03:26 PM
habfan4

It's sad that Geoffrion is too ill to be there in person to witness his number being raised to the rafters, and perhaps the Habs should have bestowed the honour on him many years ago. I just don't get this theory that his passing the Rocket in the scoring race in 1955 created a grudge between him and the organization. His long time team mate Dickie Moore only had his number retired 5 months ago. In my opinion, this tragedy is all about very unfortunate timing and nothing else.

Old
03-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix
But it should have been March 11th 2004 or 2003 or 2002 or.....
Unfortunately for years, Corey and his crew, continued by the Molson ownership, were too high and mighty to worry about retiring numbers. By the time Gillette came around, it took a while before everyone sat down to map out the retiring plan. What seemed a natural fit was to retire 3 jerseys every year leading up to, and including I think, 2009 which is the team's 100th anniversary. Remember, Habs management wanted this culmination to coincide with hosting the World Juniors, All-Star Game and hopefully a Stanley Cup all within the same season. It came down to bad timing so the current Habs regime can only apologize to Boom Boom, his family and his fans for the cold shoulder given by the old ownership. This just proved to be bad timing for Bernie as he fell ill right before his big night.

Old
03-10-2006, 04:12 PM
High flyin' Habs*

Send a message via ICQ to High flyin' Habs* Send a message via MSN to High flyin' Habs*
Did Boom Boom invent the slap-shot?

Old
03-10-2006, 04:20 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Forever
Classic example of why teams should retire player jerseys earlier.
For such a classy orginization, we really screwed the pooch on this one!

Now let's learn from this and retire Larry Robinson, Gainey and Dryden's number in the next 3-4 years!

Old
03-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
his cancer is inoperable
it has spread
he is gravely ill
and he is getting food intraveniously
He is dying my dad had cancer so i know what his family is going through.

he had good character and was very likeable.

Ill pray for him!

Old
03-10-2006, 04:56 PM
V-2 Schneider

This is very sad news, and my sympathies to the Geoffrion family, and his thousands of fans everywhere.I won't ever forget that smile and laugh.

It's about time that the organization gets it together and pays honour to the men who built the legend.Molson and their flunky hack,Corey,deserve nothing but ridicule for their negligence.

Old
03-10-2006, 06:01 PM
mcphee

He always had the knack of making people laugh. There are people who make a room a little brighter when they walk in, I think he's one of these people.

It was odd to see his children in their 40's though, what else could they be. I think they both played Jr. hockey in Cornwall, though only Danny had a cup of coffee in the NHL.

When you see the guys from that era, it's always their pride that strikes me first.I don't think you can teach that. You see film of him joking with Moore, and i'm sure they had fun in those days, but the one thing they had in common was an absolute hatred of losing.

I really hope he can follow this on television.

Old
03-10-2006, 06:13 PM
El_Scoobo

This is very sad news. Unbelievable what cancer can do......they said it was discovered 2 weeks ago. Downhill ever since. Very sad.

I do wish Boom Boom the best and hopefully he will be well enough/conscious to view a tape or feed. I also wish the family the best.

edit---Its unfortunate the way he was treated in the Richard/scoring lead issue. Though, I was not alive at the time, I've heard stories from those who were. He was only doing his job and his best for his team and was never given the credit due. At least he heard back in October that his number was going to the rafters (and rightfully so).

Old
03-10-2006, 07:06 PM
tinyzombies

It's a very sad story about Boom Boom's recent health problems. He's had health problems since the 70s, which sucks.

But let's not say Boom Boom was a victim or that he didn't get the respect he deserves. That is outdated and goes back to the Richard Riot.

The Montreal fans booed Boom Boom because he won the scoring title and the Rocket was about to get his first ever title. This was not about Boom Boom, it was about the Quiet Revolution (and wasn't addressed in the movie either).

Boom Boom is very well known in New York hockey circles as well as Montreal. All my friends from New York know and love BBG. The guy was hilarious and a master self-promoter.

Now his number goes up in the rafters....FOREVER. He's the inventer of the slapshot for God's sake. The slapshot! He was the second guy after the Rocket to score 50 goals in a season, and the Rocket did it during wartime. Boom Boom did it during a normal regular season!

I don't think the Boomer should be painted as a victim. Makes no sense.

Old
03-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

Makes no sense because when it happened it really made no sense.

I mean, the French crowds wanted the Rocket to win because he represented the ideal of the common man...but he was passed by another French guy! They hated him, but why, he won! He proved Quebecers could win sometimes, even if it wasn't Rocket..

Maybe back then the people that had been under the hand of steel of the church and Duplessis so long didn't want an outspoken entertainer as a hero, maybe they prefered the fighter, the brooding struggler who exploded on the ice with sheer intensity, just like the people wished to kick out the church and "The Chief" but couldn't.

The Duplessis era messed with the psyche of Quebecers in very nasty ways. Some are still very visible to this day.

Old
03-10-2006, 07:31 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent
Makes no sense because when it happened it really made no sense.

I mean, the French crowds wanted the Rocket to win because he represented the ideal of the common man...but he was passed by another French guy! They hated him, but why, he won! He proved Quebecers could win sometimes, even if it wasn't Rocket..

Maybe back then the people that had been under the hand of steel of the church and Duplessis so long didn't want an outspoken entertainer as a hero, maybe they prefered the fighter, the brooding struggler who exploded on the ice with sheer intensity, just like the people wished to kick out the church and "The Chief" but couldn't.

The Duplessis era messed with the psyche of Quebecers in very nasty ways. Some are still very visible to this day.
Must have been a very confusing time for young Boom Boom. It also came during the defining moment in his career, winning the scoring title, and inventing the slapshot (and being laughed at for it in practice - because when it missed the net, it went BOOM off the boards, before it started goin in).

And they didn't even win the Cup that year, ... 1955. Richard was his hero, like everyone else, and now he was seen as the bad guy for succeeding ahead of the Rocket. Must have been a strange feeling for him.

He scored his 50 goals in only 64 games in 60-61.

I just bought "Boom-Boom: The Life and Times of Bernard Geoffrion" by Bernard Geoffrion and Stan Fischler.

Can't wait to read it.

You can just tell from the family photos that he's had an amazing life though. Everyone in the photos looks extremely happy.

"They didn't call him Boom Boom for nothing ... he had the hardest shot in the NHL!" - Dickie Moore

Last edited by tinyzombies: 03-10-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old
03-11-2006, 07:41 AM
mcphee

Red Fisher's column in today's gazette gives a nice sense of the man. I believe it can be accessed on the Canwest site ? Posters who understand this stuff can confirm.

Old
03-11-2006, 09:49 AM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

It's with sadness that I report that Bernard Geoffrion has died this morning in Atlanta.

*Shakes Head*

Old
03-11-2006, 09:58 AM
mcphee

Geez, what a damn shame. I'd like to think that he left this earth knowing how much not only his family appreciated him, but his fans and teammates.

Closed Thread