HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calling Mr. Richards, where are you!!!!!

Old
04-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Ani simov mal

vCash: 500
2 assists for 12 million.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Jersey Girl

I don't honestly see what the consternation is all about. Even if, after the smoke finally clears on this playoff season it turns you Richards didn't have a monster playoff....no worries. We still have eight more years for our investment to pay off!!!

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani simov mal View Post
2 assists for 12 million.
He didn't get paid $12 million for Game 4 dummy

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 04:01 PM
TheGoldenJet

Richards is a proven playoff performer, keep him with Gaborik and good things are bound to happen. He will get on the scoresheet next game again, book it.

TheGoldenJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 04:16 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
My point is that most assists get awarded due to happenstance.

Richards takes a shot and on a second rebound it goes into the net. He gets awarded an assist. Of course he did good things during the play - he found the open spot on the PP and took a shot that Anderson couldn't play into a safe area or hold onto.

But is that action of taking the shot a more impressive or valuable play to the team than any shot block, zone clearing play, forced turnover, etc.??? I say no chance.

You get the total picture of a players performance when you base your opinion on what they actually did during every second of every shift. Not based on a binomial system of 1 point for being one of the last 3 players to touch the puck on a goal scoring play and 0 points for not being one of the last 3 guys to touch the puck.
Of course, you get the total picture when you watch everything and base your opinion on everything. That doesn't change the fact that assists are one of the most important measures of evaluating the most valuable commodity in this sport, the single most important ingredient needed to score goals, and thus win games: playmaking and the creation of time and space, which is what leads to most goals.

The assist stat is not a perfect measure of it (although to say that mosts assists are happenstance is absurd; some are, most aren't), and it needs to be examined within a context, nor is it the only indicator. But dismissing the stat as meaningless is just flat out wrong. Some players rack up assists playing with superior players, simply feeding them the puck. Most players who notch hefty amounts of assists do so because more often than not, they are directly responsible for generating the time and space that results in high quality scoring opportunities.

Every "right" play is important. Sometimes a poke check can be the difference between winning and losing. Sometimes a puck clear can be, sometimes a win in a battle along the boards. But at the end of the day, it is the plays that generate high quality scoring chances that are consistently the most important. The point of the game is to score goals, and Richards is one of the better players in the league at creating high quality scoring chances.

As has been the case for most of the season, even while playing with Gaborik, he has not had the opportunity to play with TWO players on his line ideal for him to be able to fulfill his primary responsibilities. As good as Hagelin is, he is not a legit top six scorer, nor is he the power forward type player that would be the best compliment for Richards.

We were hoping that Dubinsky would be that player. He has not been. We hope Kreider will become it; he is not yet. Not even close. Hagelin does an admirable job, but he is not that player, either.

The Rangers don't have that player on their roster, and until they acquire him, we won't be able to properly judge Richards or whether or not he is living up to his expectations. The acquisition of Richards was not the last step in building a Cup contending team. It was a major step, but certainly not the final one. This team has a major weak link on the left wing, and it is directly affecting Richards' ability to accomplish his primary responsibility.

Last edited by NYR Sting: 04-20-2012 at 04:21 PM.
NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Captain Monglobster

If Louie Eriksson was a Ranger people would complain less about Richards.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Dorado*

BR had a good active game last game . Period . He made plays . He bad shots on goal . This whole thread Several others would be moot if someone finished , and in all honesty Anderson has always given us fits and has been playing lights out , making the first save , te big save and has had decent rebound control .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:48 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I stop reading any of the Game Day Threads after losses... Nothing but negativity and complaining.
I've tried, but I always find myself coming back for more post-loss nonsense. I don't know why I keep doing it to myself.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Dactyl*
stats are pure CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
I've tried, but I always find myself coming back for more post-loss nonsense. I don't know why I keep doing it to myself.
i do the same its somewhat entertaining but when they start blaming hank im done thats just ridiculous

Dactyl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Richards is centering Dubi and Cally again.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Richards has been awesome. This is ridiculous.
He has been fine. No one in the entire series on either team has been awesome.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:14 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Any day now!!!! Just in case you did not know we have an important game 5 Saturday night. Please bring the game we brought you here for when we signed you to that crazy overpriced 9 year contract.
Not sure if serious

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:48 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
He has been fine. No one in the entire series on either team has been awesome.
Boyle has been pretty awesome.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:16 AM
bubba5

You guys missed the point of this thread. He has an opportunity to get himself a signature game. I get the 2 assists on the pp the other night but to many times the guy is invisable and this is his chance as the new high profile acquisition to make this a great night, dominate shifts, make his linemates shine.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
You guys missed the point of this thread. He has an opportunity to get himself a signature game. I get the 2 assists on the pp the other night but to many times the guy is invisable and this is his chance as the new high profile acquisition to make this a great night, dominate shifts, make his linemates shine.
Just admit it, you haven't watched him since January.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote