HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Quebec tuition crisis thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

vCash: 500
Quebec tuition crisis thread

What the crisis is about: from a baseline amount of $2,168 (not accounting for other fees) the tuition is to rise $325 a year for 5 years.

Until now, it has been mostly Habs fans that debated the subject. But I'd say that higher education accessibility is a topic much wider than Quebec alone, since there have been seven (7) protests confirmed to have been held in Quebec's name - outside of Quebec.

The protests' locations in no order:

-Paris
-Taipei
-London (UK)
-Lyon
-Berlin
-Brussels
-Copenhagen

As for me I'd say that, for this strike to have any lasting effect, we need both novel ways to fund the university network (other than tuition) and the cleansing (at least partial) of university administration.

Old
04-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

$2200?!?!

Is this not the lowest in the country by a fair margin??

Old
04-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
$2200?!?!

It is. That being said, an average graduated worker making around 50k/year in Quebec is paying 5k more in taxes every year than they would in Ontario or in most other of Canada's province, so it's expected that some stuff has to be cheaper...

Old
04-20-2012, 11:35 AM
The Moose

Tuition accounts for about 20%-25% of an university budget. I think the choice is between making university access widely available, but in this case one should be prepared to pay, or make it more elitist and in this case the state could entirely fund it. IMO a lot of current university students would be better served by much cheaper and more effective vocational schools.

Old
04-20-2012, 11:35 AM
guest1467

Quote:
$2200?!?!

What difference does it make?

Old
04-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

There's still 170,000 students on strike (both CEGEP and university) at this late jecture.

Quote:
$2200?!?!

As I said on the Habs board, if you want to compare Quebec tuition you mustn't limit yourself to just Canada. Because Quebec draws, and competes for, students from all over the world.

Old
04-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Maverik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
It is. That being said, an average graduated worker making around 50k/year in Quebec is paying 5k more in taxes every year than they would in Ontario or in most other of Canada's province, so it's expected that some stuff has to be cheaper...
You mean stuff like car insurance, license plates, EDUCATION (which remains lower), DAYCARE and plenty more. Face it, Quebec NEEDED to increase it's education fees, it did not make sense anymore.

Old
04-20-2012, 11:38 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
As I said on the Habs board, if you want to compare Quebec tuition you mustn't limit yourself to just Canada. Because Quebec draws, and competes for, students from all over the world.
Comparing it to anything has no relevance, on either side of the coin.

What only matters is what Quebecois' want, what others pay for their education has no bearing whatsoever.

Old
04-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Montreal Typical

If those students spent half as much time working as they do manifesting, they would have already accumulated enough money to make up for the hike for the rest of their studies.

Old
04-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moose View Post
Tuition accounts for about 20%-25% of an university budget. I think the choice is between making university access widely available, but in this case one should be prepared to pay, or make it more elitist and in this case the state could entirely fund it. IMO a lot of current university students would be better served by much cheaper and more effective vocational schools.
In the ROC, tuition accounts for that much of an university budget. Quebec is another matter, really. Free university tuition would cost $700M (unless financial aid cuts were enacted as well)

Quote:
IMO a lot of current university students would be better served by much cheaper and more effective vocational schools.
CEGEP is seen as the vocational arm of Quebec higher education. There hasn't been any complaints about their effectiveness as far as vocational education is concerned, at least not to my knowledge, since most complaints pertaining to CEGEPs have been about the pre-university stream. The per-student cost of running CEGEPs is anywhere between Quebec high schools and trade schools in the ROC.

Old
04-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
If those students spent half as much time working as they do manifesting, they would have already accumulated enough money to make up for the hike for the rest of their studies.
Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

Old
04-20-2012, 11:53 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
Manifester is a commonly used verb in French. It doesn't mean, or is used as manifesting in English, but is the translation he used.

Old
04-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

University administrations have mistreated students lately; University of Montreal, UQO and UQAC being the main ones mistreating students and faculty. The students and the faculty of all three called for the destitution of their respective rectors.

Quote:
1. Manifesting seems like an approximate translation of the French word manifester in this context, protesting seems closer to the proper translation

2. Perhaps some students on strike went to work rather than to picket their courses/go to the plethora of protests

Old
04-20-2012, 11:59 AM
guest1467

This is highly anecdotal, but my roommate goes to UdeM and she has been on strike for two months now. She has been picking up extra shifts at work (she already worked part-time) with her time off.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:02 PM
The Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
This is highly anecdotal, but my roommate goes to UdeM and she has been on strike for two months now. She has been picking up extra shifts at work (she already worked part-time) with her time off.
Is McGill on strike too?

Old
04-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
What is she normally studying? There has been a couple of departments that were on strike for two months, anywhere between physics and computer science to education science and philosophy.

Quote:
Is McGill on strike too?
Yes, but there aren't nearly as many strikers there as even Concordia, let alone UQAM... to my knowledge Social Work is the only department on unlimited strike at McGill.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:05 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Is McGill on strike too?
Only a couple departments, I think the social workers are still on strike; the education graduates and geography graduates were on strike, not sure anymore.

The Arts department voted against it about a month ago.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:05 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
What is she normally studying? There has been a couple of departments that were on strike for two months, anywhere between physics and computer science to education science and philosophy.
History.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:08 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
So, let them 'strike'. Let them miss their exams and assignments, and let them receive the appropriate failing grade. The sense of entitlement is preposterous.

04-20-2012, 12:17 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26 View Post
So, let them 'strike'. Let them miss their exams and assignments, and let them receive the appropriate failing grade. The sense of entitlement is preposterous.
Failing 170,000 students seems quite logical.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Manifester is a commonly used verb in French. It doesn't mean, or is used as manifesting in English, but is the translation he used.
I meant protesting. I've been hearing "manifester" on TV for hours now and I guess it stuck in my head.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

Quote:
Failing 170,000 students seems quite logical.
Enforcing academic requirements is even more logical.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:24 PM
guest1467

Quote:
I meant protesting. I've been hearing "manifester" on TV for hours now and I guess it stuck in my head.
I ain't gonna hold it against you. I have a lot of respect for people who come on here with English as a second language.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

On the topic of McGill. The boyfriend of one of my classmates told me that his department student union (MSPS; physics) couldn't hold a general assembly properly, thus turning students away. Education undergraduates couldn't do it either; I asked the other McGill protester that was at a protest staged two days ago, a protest that started at the Roddick Gates.

At least the PHYSUM can hold GAs properly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26 View Post
That option costs about the same as cancelling the semester outright, since the strikers will then have to go back to take their classes in another semester. Plus most departments on unlimited strike have delayed exams and assignments indefinitely.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:26 PM
guest1467

I have heard that the professors are holding out till the 27th, after that they won't continue teaching (not entirely sure if this is true or not).

That seems to be a point in time when something has to give.

Closed Thread