HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF: Game 4: Boston Bruins @ Washington Capitals. 4/19/12. 7:30 PM. Verizon Center.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2012, 09:15 AM
  #751
Stewie G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
I think Acoin is playing purely for PP2 and he was pretty good on PP1 last night. Like someone posted, Knuble's legs are shot and Halpy I just don't see being able to do much on the PP.
If the only thing that Aucoin brings is a limited role on the PP, I don't see that as enough to warrant a sweater. Halpern doesn't need to be the one to sub in on the PP. With Nick coming back, someone is going to be getting bumped and if they plan on giving big 3rd period minutes to the 3rd and 4th lines with a lead like last night, I want to see the bigger bodied guy with great faceoff skills in there. Seemed to me that Beagle was getting schooled in the dot in the 3rd period last night, especially in their own zone. Those losses allowed the Bruins to get some sustained pressure and led to some of those icing calls. It would have been nice to have another option out there.

PP1 would be Green-Ov-Nick-MoJo-Laich
PP2 would be Wideman-Ovie-MP-Semin-Bigger body (Brouwer/Chimera/Ward). Taking a look at Nashville's stats in last year's playoffs, Ward led them in PP points.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:16 AM
  #752
swimmer77
Post Oates
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,394
vCash: 500
I didn't watch the game. The Caps have been doing better when I don't so I don't. LOL

Erskine + Wideman = 7 Hits. I like that much better and the fact that Ersk can drop the gloves. Now remind me again why his TOI has been minimal? When Hunter came in I thought he'd actually favor Ersk. Mind boggling.

I feel good about tomorrow's chances. Nicky will be back in and rested. Hunter followed Julien's lead and sent his own message about the head hunting.

The boys are not immune to winning in Boston this season. Are Chara and Seid's showing any signs of wearing down? It was nice to see OV knock down that little ferret.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:17 AM
  #753
marcel snapshot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yes, it could have gone to the corner. He was stopping and pivoting around to put it in the corner. He lost an edge. Watching again, I have no clue why Wideman decided to pinch. He had three teammates below him in the zone, and a Boston forward right on his shoulder.

Watch it again:
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...24&event=WSH50
Thanks for the link. Agree he lost an edge. Don't think he was going to a corner - think he was trying to dish to Wides. And if he was going to a corner, then he was going to the LW corner, which wouldn't be smart.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:18 AM
  #754
Stewie G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Do you think that will last?

I do consider Halpern a center.

We have been moving centers to wing from day 1. MP Beagle Halpern MJ and now Aucoin. I think we can go 7 deep at C now. Unless of course you consider most of them wingers.
You said he was taking draws from the wing. He wasn't playing wing. That's all I was saying. Perhaps you should spend less time staring at his big twig.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:19 AM
  #755
tycoonheart
Registered User
 
tycoonheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Are Chara and Seid's showing any signs of wearing down? It was nice to see OV knock down that little ferret.
Seids seems to have backed away from all physicality against Ovi. You know how in the first two games he seemed to be okay being physical against Ovi? Saw none of that in the last two games.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:26 AM
  #756
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
Thanks for the link. Agree he lost an edge. Don't think he was going to a corner - think he was trying to dish to Wides. And if he was going to a corner, then he was going to the LW corner, which wouldn't be smart.
I don't see it. It looked to me like he was trying to put it around Chara. When he lost an edge, he lost control of the puck and barely nudged it instead, which put it towards the middle of the ice. I don't think he even saw Wideman. Regardless, it was a terrible effort by Holtby there, which was the main reason the goal was scored.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:27 AM
  #757
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,567
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
You said he was taking draws from the wing. He wasn't playing wing. That's all I was saying. Perhaps you should spend less time staring at his big twig.
How do you know he has a big twig?

I said that meaning his stick is so long he has to stand off to the side, short of choking so far down on his twig he whacks the lineman with the butt end as he draws.

If you think he is an effective player with his over sized twig in the playoffs, so be it. I have not seen it outside of the odd scoring chance and simple pass to Semin for his assist. He remains at -2 near the bottom of the list.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:46 AM
  #758
marcel snapshot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,000
vCash: 500
It's pretty great that 1 day after playing a must-win playoff game against the defending champs without our best all-around player, we're going back and forth about who the 12th forward should be.

Props to the team for giving us so little to argue about it.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:52 AM
  #759
Stewie G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
How do you know he has a big twig?

I said that meaning his stick is so long he has to stand off to the side, short of choking so far down on his twig he whacks the lineman with the butt end as he draws.

If you think he is an effective player with his over sized twig in the playoffs, so be it. I have not seen it outside of the odd scoring chance and simple pass to Semin for his assist. He remains at -2 near the bottom of the list.
Where in the world are you coming up with this nonsense that I think he has been effective? Most of my other posts have been complaining about him being out there at all. He is ill-suited for a 4th line role and has had little success on the PP. Give Halpern a sweater and stick someone else like Brouwer/Ward on the PP. If they're going to put MP on PP2, no need for another little guy.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:14 AM
  #760
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Really. I thought they'd fold like a cheap suit without Backstrom.
Same. I thought that game was going to end 5-1 B's. When Peverley scored I thought the flood gates would open...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:21 AM
  #761
SameOld
Registered User
 
SameOld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Elias: #Caps 16 playoff wins from rookie goalies in last four years one more than all other NHL teams combined over same span.
That is insane.

SameOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:44 AM
  #762
bonzilla
Registered User
 
bonzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Va
Country: United States
Posts: 846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Same. I thought that game was going to end 5-1 B's. When Peverley scored I thought the flood gates would open...
Peverley's creativity in O zone has been impressive. He and Holtby seem to be intuitively engaged in their own separate matrix.

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:48 AM
  #763
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
Thanks for the link. Agree he lost an edge. Don't think he was going to a corner - think he was trying to dish to Wides. And if he was going to a corner, then he was going to the LW corner, which wouldn't be smart.
I think he could have dished it to a couple guys, including Laich, if he didn't lose his edge. Easily could have been a huge opportunity. As I said earlier in the game thread, I get awfully nervous whenever OV tries to suddenly change direction. Either he falls, leaves the puck behind, or both. He would have been better served outracing Chara along the boards and taking it behind the net.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:11 AM
  #764
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
erskine made the puck carrier shoot it. what was holtby doing there?
It looked to me that Holtby was thinking pass all the way and was preparing to get across the crease as quickly as possible instead of stopping Peverley's shot.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:34 AM
  #765
Fred Murtz
Registered User
 
Fred Murtz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,658
vCash: 500
Alexander Semin lasershot goal.



Braden Holtby saves.


Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 12:21 PM
  #766
CAPITAL PUNISHMENT
Registered User
 
CAPITAL PUNISHMENT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
I want to get a W.W.H.D. bracelet

CAPITAL PUNISHMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 12:58 PM
  #767
Fred Murtz
Registered User
 
Fred Murtz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,658
vCash: 500
Last 2 mins of BOS/WSH game. Time clock didn't start with 9 secs left.


Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:07 PM
  #768
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Murtz View Post
Last 2 mins of BOS/WSH game. Time clock didn't start with 9 secs left.

Wow, Shanahan's long arm even reaches the timekeeper.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:15 PM
  #769
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,567
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Where in the world are you coming up with this nonsense that I think he has been effective? Most of my other posts have been complaining about him being out there at all. He is ill-suited for a 4th line role and has had little success on the PP. Give Halpern a sweater and stick someone else like Brouwer/Ward on the PP. If they're going to put MP on PP2, no need for another little guy.
Sorry I thought you were defending him. I stand corrected.

Now lets put reality aside, and all hail the new 2C.

At least he is on a scoring line, which puts him in a presumed better place to succeed. Laich moved to wing, so tomorrow is his big day after instant chemistry with Semin on the PP. He racked up a bunch of assists in Hershey and lets hope he can keep that up; just keep throwing the puck to Semin, as fast and as hard as possible.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:20 PM
  #770
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Sorry I thought you were defending him. I stand corrected.

Now lets put reality aside, and all hail the new 2C.

At least he is on a scoring line, which puts him in a presumed better place to succeed. Laich moved to wing, so tomorrow is his big day after instant chemistry with Semin on the PP. He racked up a bunch of assists in Hershey and lets hope he can keep that up; just keep throwing the puck to Semin, as fast and as hard as possible.
you, uh, have seen the semin goal from last night. right? what about that hand off was fast or hard or showing of any chemistry?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:30 PM
  #771
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,567
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
I think he could have dished it to a couple guys, including Laich, if he didn't lose his edge. Easily could have been a huge opportunity. As I said earlier in the game thread, I get awfully nervous whenever OV tries to suddenly change direction. Either he falls, leaves the puck behind, or both. He would have been better served outracing Chara along the boards and taking it behind the net.
About the falls, so you think it may be a change in direction. I will have to watch for that. I haven't been able to figure it out. It seems like he goes through stretches with lots of awkward falls, then is a beast you can't knock over for weeks. He tripped on the blue in the classic. Losing the puck, I can more easily see on direction changes.

He seemed off last night. He was up high on blue running the point men, maybe a directive my Dale to pressure them early. Without knowing directives from coaches to get Wideman a goal, pinch instructions, I don't place blame.

If it were coaching, they recognized holy hell, if Wideman doesn't score, we will probably lose the game. I wonder what it will take to see Orlov replace him. Maybe nothing, but has his game hit the crapper since the TDL.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:35 PM
  #772
RandyHolt
Capitals Station
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,567
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
you, uh, have seen the semin goal from last night. right? what about that hand off was fast or hard or showing of any chemistry?
He whipped that pass to Semin, don't deny it. A simple pass sure, but a good pass nonetheless. Enough to get a big promotion is how i read him with Semin today. Unless I am missing something else he did. What do you think caused the big promotion? It wasn't just Laich moving to wing.

Half of playing with super stars is getting them the puck just like he did last night. And get the hell out of the way. Put your stick down, and get ready.

Dale will be desperate to find chemistry on his 2nd line with Nick back with Ovi.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 03:17 PM
  #773
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke
 
PuckBuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOld View Post
That is insane.
That's Jose Theodore.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 05:49 PM
  #774
Koized
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Seids seems to have backed away from all physicality against Ovi. You know how in the first two games he seemed to be okay being physical against Ovi? Saw none of that in the last two games.
That's very true now that I think about it, good observation. Probably got tired of getting crushed 5 times a game.

Koized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 06:08 PM
  #775
Kegger
Registered User
 
Kegger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Texas
Country: Chile
Posts: 2,844
vCash: 500
Like seeing Knuble stick, not sure I like seeing Ward sit. I think he's been one of those guys who Boston has been having difficulty gaining puck possession on him (regardless of the scoresheet)

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.