HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tobias Rieder - 40 goals as a 4th rounder

Old
04-20-2012, 02:35 PM
phi1086

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I think Rieder has a legitimate shot to become a good player for us. He was a 4th rounder but was getting a lot of hype last year too and plays a hard game also for his size.

Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
Paajarvi - Grigs/Galch - Rieder

Wouldn't mind that top 6 in a few years.
You've got "YAKUPOV!!!!" under your screen name, but Grigs/Galch in your top 6? ha ha ha.

phi1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Oilhawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi1086 View Post
You've got "YAKUPOV!!!!" under your screen name, but Grigs/Galch in your top 6? ha ha ha.
Context. That was posted on March 15th. The Oilers were expected to draft 2nd/3rd at that point, not first overall. His avatar is current.

Oilhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:44 PM
phi1086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhawks View Post
Context. That was posted on March 15th. The Oilers were expected to draft 2nd/3rd at that point, not first overall. His avatar is current.
face = red. it's friday, give me a break.

phi1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Auguste Escoffier

I just checked my listings for Sunday evening; Rieder and the Rangers will take on the London Knights, which will be shown on all SNET channels! I imagine, just like myself, this will be the first time Oilers fans will be able to watch him live.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 06:38 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
From OTTERS 2 OILERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
and Oil Kings and Moose Jaw are on Shaw tonight...

We get to see Reider, Gernat, and Ewaynk this weekend! (And Samuelsson our soon to be second round pick)
Right on, i just checked my local Shaw stations' listings and its on here in BC too, definitely will be watching the OK - MJ game, thanks for the info.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Horseradish

Wow, leading the OHL? Wow. And without a significant supporting cast. Impressive.

I think he's risen to a level where he has to be considered a "top prospect" for the team.

Anyone know where his defensive responsibilities are at?

Because if he is responsible defensively, I question whether another year in the OHL would be beneficial to his development. The only positive factor would be "getting bigger". But if he's already dominating at both ends of the ice, it might make more sense to bring him to the A so he canstart translating his game to what it needs to be at for the pro level, regardless of size.

If he's proven all that he can prove at the CHL level, it doesn't make sense to hold him back there just so he "gets bigger", because it won't give him more tangible development benefits, as he's theoretically already dominating that level at a smaller size.

Something to worth considering if, indeed, he is a defensively sound player as well.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:24 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
Wow, leading the OHL? Wow. And without a significant supporting cast. Impressive.

I think he's risen to a level where he has to be considered a "top prospect" for the team.

Because if he is responsible defensively, I question whether another year in the OHL would be beneficial to his development. The only positive factor would be "getting bigger". But if he's already dominating at both ends of the ice, it might make more sense to bring him to the A so he canstart translating his game to what it needs to be at for the pro level, regardless of size.

If he's proven all that he can prove at the CHL level, it doesn't make sense to hold him back there just so he "gets bigger", because it won't give him more tangible development benefits, as he's theoretically already dominating that level at a smaller size.

Something to worth considering if, indeed, he is a defensively sound player as well.
Pretty sure he isn't eligible to play in the AHL next year because he's only 19 when the season starts.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:25 PM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:

I don't think that he's old enough for the AHL next season so he'll be back at Kitchener.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:25 PM
speeds

nm nm

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Horseradish

I'm pretty sure 19 year olds can jump to the A. I read somewhere that the oilers signed Marincin last year with the thought that he was most likely going to play in the A this past year.

Can anyone clarify what the rule is?

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 08:28 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I'm pretty sure 19 year olds can jump to the A. I read somewhere that the oilers signed Marincin last year with the thought that he was most likely going to play in the A this past year.

Can anyone clarify what the rule is?
I think it goes like this, if the player is in the CHL when they are drafted they cannot leave for the AHL before they are 20. If the player is drafted out of Europe, they are eligible for the AHL as young as 18, I believe. Marincin was drafted out of Europe and then came to the CHL, so we could have played him in the AHL this season, but we opted for the CHL instead.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 08:31 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
If Rieder became an oiler could he overtake peckham in the nickname sweepstakes?

Toby Rieds? Teddy Pecks? Toby Rieds might actually win that ****.

BoldNewLettuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Soundwave

No to Toby, keep it as Tobias:

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 08:50 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

BoldNewLettuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Philly85
Raps'

I'm sorry, i just can't get excited about another smurfish winger, regardless of skill level and performance. Trade bait!

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:12 PM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
I'm sorry, i just can't get excited about another smurfish winger, regardless of skill level and performance. Trade bait!
because of his size? way to give up on a prospect that hasn't even left juniors yet

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:22 PM
gooilgo
Fire MacLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
because of his size? way to give up on a prospect that hasn't even left juniors yet
He is listed as 5' 11" and 190lbs so looks to have put on 10lbs and grown an inch since the draft.

More importantly 107 pts in 72 games for a 4th rounder.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:49 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

I've been checking up on this guy for over a year now and always been surprised how he been left in the shadows of other prospects..
Kristians Pelss is another oiler prospect in a similar boat, he was a 7th round pick..
Who is next?

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
I agree with the trade bait part, but have no idea why you'd temper your excitement just because he's a small skill guy. I'd be excited to see him develop into the type of prospect that, along with picks, lands you the best rental available on TDD when this team is a legit contender.

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:23 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Rieder is about the same size as Crosby, Giroux and Datsyuk. Small is 5.6, 160 lbs. 5.11, 200lbs is close to average.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:36 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

I'd post Tobias's potential business card, but I think I'd get banned.

nofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Seachd

Quote:

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:47 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Not a lot of youtube videos on him yet...so he's good for now.

USC Trojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 02:50 AM
rosemount289

Another scout passed on..............?

Quote:

The Oilers passed on another smallest, skill player by the name of Parise in the
2003 draft?..............?.............that got Pendergast fired.............!

rosemount289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Mr Sakich

rarely do you see organizations trade prospects who are doing better than expected but this would be an ideal situation. Teams like Calgary need some skill in their system. Trading him for a goalie or dman close to the show would give us more balance but I doubt it happens.

No 18 or 19 year old had a better ppg than him this year in the OHL and now he is leading the pack in the playoffs. Good scouting job

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote