HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you trade Dan Boyle to shake up the team in the offseason?

Old
04-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
No.

I would keep the defense intact. That is Boyle, Burns, Vlasic, Murray, Demers, Braun.

Try to sign Carle or Stuart for either a top 4 spot or depth. Get a better top 9 forward group and get new assistant coaches.
I would like to see Murray gone. He is way too slow. Get a younger, physical and slight faster stay at home defenseman.

04-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Korolyuk15

Move Boyle sign Stuart = win

I would like to move Thornton too for a speedier centre/winger...get this team back to playing transition hockey and scoring off of the rush...but sadly if anyone takes the fall it will be marleau...

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 12:57 PM
lsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaShark View Post
No way. Trade the heartless players.
This.

Marleau on waivers.

Coaching staff tarred and feathered, then kicked to the curb.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:10 PM
TealTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
I would like to see Murray gone. He is way too slow. Get a younger, physical and slight faster stay at home defenseman.
this...ive been wanting murray out a couple of years now. when he was paired with boyle, we all knew right there that this coaching staff didn't have a clue what they're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx View Post
Marleau on waivers.

Coaching staff tarred and feathered, then kicked to the curb.
alouette chant de alouette

Last edited by TealTownUSA: 04-20-2012 at 01:21 PM.
TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:11 PM
hockeyball

Didn't want to bump the off-season speculation thread as that might annoy the hell out of people... so posting this here.

Here are my thoughts on who might move in the off-season, trying not to let my sentiment get in the way. Been thinking about this a lot:

Thornton - No, unless for some reason he asks out. I've flip flopped on this a few times, but I think it would do more harm than good.

Marleau - No, I honestly think a major part of his issues are system related. Plus, he's not going to waive, and he's not going to be asked. If he didn't have a NTC? Yes, I'd shop him, but its not bad enough to be worth the potential fall-out.

Pavelski - Yes, I would shop him. He's a HELL of a player, but the Sharks MUST get faster, and between him and Couture, you keep Couture. I bet we will regret moving him though when he tears it up elsewhere. If Thornton was somehow moved though, I would retain him.

Couture - No, not under any circumstances do i move him.

Clowe - Yes, absolutely, ready for the roller coaster ride that is Clowe to end.

Havlat - No, exactly the type of player we should be adding, not trading.

Winnik - Try and re-sign him, offer him upto $2m. He's been good for us, and we need to salvage something from that trade.

Moore - This will be controversial I know, but I would try to re-sign him at $1.5m. I think with a new coach and a new system he would be a great 3rd line center for us. He's stunk it up this year, but historically he's performed much better, so I take the risk.

Galiardi - He's an RFA, so I re-sign him for around $750k and he's solid depth. Also, new coach, new system, I think he rebounds.

Handzus - Get rid of him as fast as you can. Even buy him out if you must. If the Sharks have cap space, fine, bench him all season.

Winchester - Ended up being just as ineffective as I suspected when we signed him in the end. I'd move on.

Desjardins - Keeper

Mitchell - I would offer him a $1m deal, otherwise, cya around.

Ferriero - RFA, near league minimum, no harm done.

Wingels - McGinn like deal, $1m tops.

Burns - No discussion, keep him.

Vlasic - Get him resigned under $4.5m in the off-season, or shop him.

Boyle - If you can bring Suter in, or another comparable d-man somehow (high draft pick even), shop him. Otherwise, he's still got a lot of game left.

Murray - Move him. Too slow, value will decrease, get value while you can.

Demers - Keep, new system and I bet he rebounds.

Braun - Keep, of course, re-sign for Demers type deal.

White - Doubt he would stay even if we offered, he will want to get closer to his family.

Vandermeer - He'd have to be an idiot to re-sign with us after how we treated him.

Niemi - Shop him. Easily replaced, likely still overvalued (especially after a good series against the Blues). Either give Greiss/Stalock/Sateri a chance and/or bring in a UFA or reclamation project (Mason, Harding, Vokoun, Bernier, etc)

Greiss - Keep him, no reason not to.

I would of course replace the entire coaching staff, but not DW just yet. Coach wise if Bylsma got fired (I doubt it) he'd be the best choice, after that it's just hard to say.

UFA's I'd look at are:
Suter
Parise
Stuart
Oduya
Doan
Parenteau
Semin (on a reasonable contract)
Wellwood...
Moss
Brunette
Pouliot

If they can't skate, don't want um.

In trade I'd be looking for speedy young LW's, but primarily high draft picks.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Sharksfan83

After Nitty, Seto and Vandy.. And how hard it is normally to sign UFA's.. is it even possible to lure players here?

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Thorntonfan97
Jose Bautista-35 HR

vCash: 200
Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
I'd be ok with them moving Patty and Boyle

Thorntonfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 50
What I would like the Sharks D to look like next year:

Vlasic Suter
Burns Braun
Demers Stuart

That means Murray and Boyle are both out. Both fan favorites, but one takes up way too much cap space, and the other is just too damn slow.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Thepainter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbelikewall View Post

Vlasic Suter
Burns Braun
Demers Stuart

That means Murray and Boyle are both out. Both fan favorites, but one takes up way too much cap space, and the other is just too damn slow.
That would be a great defense. I think Boyle has lost a step, and Murray is just too slow. Getting rid of McGinn was a huuuuuge mistake, as I think he could've stepped into the top-6 next year. His speed, physicality, and great hands would look teriffic alongside Havlat.

Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:03 PM
exchequer

The earliest Boyle gets traded is February 2013 if the Sharks are out of contention. I haven't been satisfied with his play this series and he does make some bone-headed moves every now and then. He looks like he's lost a step too which isn't helping on D.

He's a competitor but he's already won a cup so it's hard to say how motivated he'd be to waive his NTC and uproot the family.

exchequer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:07 PM
exchequer

Quote:

Vlasic Suter
Burns Braun
Demers Stuart

Even though everyone rips Murray's speed, it's never been a huge liability other than on breakaways. The difference this year is how much slower the Sharks forwards are.

He CAN also beast out on the PK (no one can park in front of the net of Murray's there) but he's being utilized differently on the PK.

Murray won't win you a Stanley Cup by himself but he would add legitimacy to any team contending for one.

exchequer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepainter View Post
That would be a great defense. I think Boyle has lost a step, and Murray is just too slow. Getting rid of McGinn was a huuuuuge mistake, as I think he could've stepped into the top-6 next year. His speed, physicality, and great hands would look teriffic alongside Havlat.
I think losing McGinn was definitely unfortunate, but Tommy Wingels is well on his way to replacing McGinn. I am excited to see how he progresses into next year.

Watching Andy McDonald rip through our team has been quite eye opening. The Sharks used to be the poster team for speed, and now they are just big and slow on defense and at forward. That needs to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exchequer View Post
Even though everyone rips Murray's speed, it's never been a huge liability other than on breakaways. The difference this year is how much slower the Sharks forwards are.

He CAN also beast out on the PK (no one can park in front of the net of Murray's there) but he's being utilized differently on the PK.

Murray won't win you a Stanley Cup by himself but he would add legitimacy to any team contending for one.
Murray makes a few mistakes almost every game at the offensive blue line. Perfect example was last night when he half activated, and then was easily beaten with a simple pass off the wall which started a 2 on 1. I really do love the guy, but would much rather have Brad Stuart than Murray on the blue line. Just my preference.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:21 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
The earliest Boyle gets traded is February 2013 if the Sharks are out of contention. I haven't been satisfied with his play this series and he does make some bone-headed moves every now and then. He looks like he's lost a step too which isn't helping on D.

He's a competitor but he's already won a cup so it's hard to say how motivated he'd be to waive his NTC and uproot the family.
Boyle's NTC becomes limited after this season. We don't need his permission. He can give a list of 8 teams he does not want to play for, thats it.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Eighth Fret

i would hate to move boyle.. i really would. he's such a gamer and a heart and soul guy. i do realize we need to get younger and faster, but i would move boyle only if what came back was too good to pass up. otherwise i'd rather move clowe, murray, and niemi before considering moving boyle.

undecided on pavs. i love him and think he's versatile enough to play with a faster team, so i don't know that i'd want to get rid of him just because he's a slow player right now. he has the iq to play fast even though he doesn't have the feet for it.

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are watching but nearly every team does the same thing against us when Murray is on the ice: dump it into his corner and have a speedy forechecker outrace him, which is becoming even easier.

If they don't beat him, it's becoming less so that Murray can box out the forward and get the puck out cleanly. Usually a 2nd forward crashes and then it becomes a fight for the puck.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:40 PM
PondShark

somebody has to go... for me its either the entire coaching staff or high value pieces like Boyle, Clowe, Marleau.

This team needs to be tougher to play against. the lack of speed and physicality on this team results in so much time and space for the opposition that its sickening.

PondShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by PondShark View Post
somebody has to go... for me its either the entire coaching staff or high value pieces like Boyle, Clowe, Marleau.

This team needs to be tougher to play against. the lack of speed and physicality on this team results in so much time and space for the opposition that its sickening.
Why not both and just start over?

This coaching staff has failed pretty miserably on the PK the past 2 years. On the flipside, I doubt any new coach is going to instill any more "toughness" in this bunch, despite their overwhelming size advantage. That's just the make up of this team.

And forget speed, no new coaching staff will make slow players fast.

Old
04-20-2012, 03:13 PM
sjshark91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
He would be my 7th Dman I would try to get Carle to pair with Burns.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 03:14 PM
sjshark91

Quote:

Vlasic Suter
Burns Braun
Demers Stuart

I am 100% sure Suter isn't wearing Teal next season. UFA big price tag not Dougs cup o' tea.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Lockout Season

It's either going to be a patch or a fire sale. No GM could retool a team in one summer as much as some of you are suggesting.

7150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Iron Chef

Mark Emmons ‏ @markedwinemmons
Dan Boyle on Sharks' 1-3 hole against Blues: "I truly believe in my heart that we can do this."

Joe Thornton on the task in front of the Sharks: “A lot of teams have come back from down 3-1, and we hope to be one of them.”

Man, its contrasting statements like that, that make me wonder what this team would have been like if Boyle was made captain instead of Thornton, just like most of the fan base wanted.

Hope is for fans. Belief is for players.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 03:55 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Dan Boyle on Sharks' 1-3 hole against Blues: "I truly believe in my heart that we can do this."

Joe Thornton on the task in front of the Sharks: “A lot of teams have come back from down 3-1, and we hope to be one of them.”

Man, its contrasting statements like that, that make me wonder what this team would have been like if Boyle was made captain instead of Thornton, just like most of the fan base wanted.

Hope is for fans. Belief is for players.
Patrick Marleau just laughed and said "I like golfing."

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Patrick Marleau just laughed and said "I like golfing."
No, Patty, with a quizzical look, said "Oh, have the playoffs started?"

Old
04-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Iron Chef

Marleau needs to watch that on repeat. I actually made the line "If you want it, don't just think you want it, go out and ****ing want it" my iPhone wallpaper. Whenever I'm struggling at the gym, I look at it to get a boost.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 04:16 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
I am 100% sure Suter isn't wearing Teal next season.
Yeah, but then again, the Sharks don't wear teal either.

The question is whether or not he'll be wearing the black & orange next year.......ya know, Sharks colors.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote