HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why do you think Colin Wilson is getting scratched?

Old
04-19-2012, 01:42 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I don't see the point of having yip in when he gets six minutes of ice time and does absolutely nothing for those six minutes.

And I disagree with your argument about Wilson not being able to play on a fourth line roll.
Remember Tootoo-Spaling-Wilson

Or Ward-Smithson-Wilson?

We all know you hate Wilson but hed be a better choice to have in the lineup than Brandon ****ing Yip
Now I hate Wilson? Thanks for telling me what I think and feel.

As I've said, the kid has talent but wants to play his game, not the team's. His happiness with his game is why he is sitting because he isn't doing the work guys like Bourque and Halischuk have shown every day. When called out for the lack of "detail", the proper response if you want to see the game from inside the glass is to address that issue. Wilson took the opposite approach and is reaping the harvest of his actions.

Tootoo-Spaling-Wilson wasn't filling the same purpose as Yip is now. They were tasked to do the same thing as our current third line, provide secondary scoring. For a few weeks they were our hottest line ... but only a for few weeks in December when it looked like Toots might actually reach 10 goals in a season and he was expected to be a hockey player and not just a wrecking ball. Just like October and early November when Smith looked like a point per game player, until he went cold as well.

Wilson apparently didn't handle getting passed on the depth chart by new additions and a rookie who busts his butt every shift. Only he can do the work to get himself back up the depth chart. He has the talent and natural skills to be a very good player in this league, but, that requires a work ethic and maturity level that isn't evident yet. It's up to him.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 01:42 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingintheNorth View Post
I know but Yip has looked pretty bad this post-season.
Yip is heavy on the boards. There has been lots of talk about wearing down the Wings in a 7 game series. Gill, Fisher, AK, Yip, Weber, Gausted are all guys that can wear down a less physical, finesse team like the Wings. If the series goes 7 games, then Yip's game will have more of an impact. Yip is a grinder. That's why he's in over our scoring oriented forwards.

WartracePred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:00 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Wilson isn't playing because he's makes too many mistakes and Detroit will make you play for mistakes most of the time.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:09 PM
hoosierpred

Sure, I realize that......but

responding to quote "Our depth is why he is sitting."

i'm suggesting that what we have as a team might be different enough to justify a different strategy. The playoff paradigm has been that big stars need to play big minutes in the playoffs, but that paradigm has usually been true because teams had 1rst and 2nd lines that were obviously much better than their third lines offensively. But the strength of our team is having very good, (but not superstar) lines all the way down the bench. I think we are the very deepest team in the playoffs by far. If we try to match other teams strategy, I can see us wearing out our top lines that need to forecheck very hard to be effective. I think that very thing happened against Vancouver last year. Instead, why not play to our strength. Have everyone play like freaking maniacs when they are on the ice, knowing that they are going to get some time off to recuperate throughout the series, and that it doesn't mean any demotion of any type.

Last edited by hoosierpred: 04-19-2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: include quote
hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post

Why is Wilson scratched? He's the 7th best wing choice for the top three lines and there are only 6 slots.
I think this is the reason. I also think Smith would be in over Wilson at this point. I would rather dress the current top 6 wingers over Wilson barring an injury. I hate saying that because I think Colin was, really, fantastic at times this year. His game took a step forward. I still would rather play the AK/SK/Erat/Radulov/Borque/Hornqvist group. GB just has the tenacity you can't ever sit....Hornqvist the powerplay presence. Radulov is all world. SK's vision will come through. Erat is playing good hockey. AK's wrister is too deadly to bench, and he has a solid all-around game.

04-20-2012, 11:30 AM
hoosierpred

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierpred View Post
responding to quote "Our depth is why he is sitting."

i'm suggesting that what we have as a team might be different enough to justify a different strategy. The playoff paradigm has been that big stars need to play big minutes in the playoffs, but that paradigm has usually been true because teams had 1rst and 2nd lines that were obviously much better than their third lines offensively. But the strength of our team is having very good, (but not superstar) lines all the way down the bench. I think we are the very deepest team in the playoffs by far. If we try to match other teams strategy, I can see us wearing out our top lines that need to forecheck very hard to be effective. I think that very thing happened against Vancouver last year. Instead, why not play to our strength. Have everyone play like freaking maniacs when they are on the ice, knowing that they are going to get some time off to recuperate throughout the series, and that it doesn't mean any demotion of any type.
Not using a depth strategy risks things like this boiling over.
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...-over-benching

Now, don't get me wrong. Tootoo probably deserved to sit a game for losing his cool in response to Zetterberg stealing his stick, but sitting for most of the playoffs while you've worked hard for the team the whole year is bound to breed resentment, and that sort of resentment is not good for the team in the long run.

hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:57 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierpred View Post
Not using a depth strategy risks things like this boiling over.
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...-over-benching

Now, don't get me wrong. Tootoo probably deserved to sit a game for losing his cool in response to Zetterberg stealing his stick, but sitting for most of the playoffs while you've worked hard for the team the whole year is bound to breed resentment, and that sort of resentment is not good for the team in the long run.
Toots, just like Wilson, is behind players who are simply doing better than him at the role he would fill. There are six potential slots for Wilson, all filled with better options right now. There are two potential slots for Toots, one filled by a clearly better option in Halishcuk ... the other taken by Yip who has shown more disciplined play and done better at working the boards than Toots.

Old
04-20-2012, 12:16 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Toots, just like Wilson, is behind players who are simply doing better than him at the role he would fill. There are six potential slots for Wilson, all filled with better options right now.
That's debatable. Considering SK's play the last 15 games and his play last playoffs, it's safe to say he has not been a good player for us in that time. His goal the other night bought him some time to prove otherwise, but I think a very motivated Colin Wilson could easily be a better option than SK, who seems totally unmotivated, passive, and really isn't doing ****. It's the playoffs, wake the f up, Sergei!

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I think this is the reason. I also think Smith would be in over Wilson at this point. I would rather dress the current top 6 wingers over Wilson barring an injury. I hate saying that because I think Colin was, really, fantastic at times this year. His game took a step forward. I still would rather play the AK/SK/Erat/Radulov/Borque/Hornqvist group. GB just has the tenacity you can't ever sit....Hornqvist the powerplay presence. Radulov is all world. SK's vision will come through. Erat is playing good hockey. AK's wrister is too deadly to bench, and he has a solid all-around game.
I agree with all this. I would take Hals or Smith over wilson. I suspect either Hals or Smith in tonight when we get last change.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 12:37 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
That's debatable. Considering SK's play the last 15 games and his play last playoffs, it's safe to say he has not been a good player for us in that time. His goal the other night bought him some time to prove otherwise, but I think a very motivated Colin Wilson could easily be a better option than SK, who seems totally unmotivated, passive, and really isn't doing ****. It's the playoffs, wake the f up, Sergei!
A very motivated Colin Wilson

That's the problem I've seen with him, when holes in his game are pointed out he lacks the motivation or maturity to address them. Wilson arrived with a high ceiling, high hopes, and high expectations. So far he hasn't worked to reach them. SK for all of his issues is a more complete player than Wilson is at this point. Wilson can sulk and tell interviewers that he's going to play his game or he can work to improve his game all around and get back on the ice.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:26 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
A very motivated Colin Wilson

That's the problem I've seen with him, when holes in his game are pointed out he lacks the motivation or maturity to address them. Wilson arrived with a high ceiling, high hopes, and high expectations. So far he hasn't worked to reach them. SK for all of his issues is a more complete player than Wilson is at this point. Wilson can sulk and tell interviewers that he's going to play his game or he can work to improve his game all around and get back on the ice.
If Wilson plays like he did the first half the season, he'd be a better option than SK right now. SK has been **** for us the playoffs, both last year and this year, and it's amazing to me that he's playing such unmotivated hockey. It's the playoffs and you are a RFA, wake up Sergei. He has the skills, but his effort is suppressing them right now.

And yes, the times Wilson has sat before, he comes back highly motivated with tons of energy and creating lots of chances.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:32 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
If Wilson plays like he did the first half the season, he'd be a better option than SK right now. SK has been **** for us the playoffs, both last year and this year, and it's amazing to me that he's playing such unmotivated hockey. It's the playoffs and you are a RFA, wake up Sergei. He has the skills, but his effort is suppressing them right now.

And yes, the times Wilson has sat before, he comes back highly motivated with tons of energy and creating lots of chances.
But he is not. The chance he had in what was still a meaningful game vs the Blues he was terrible. Now he did well in Garbage time vs the Avs, but after a goal, they quit playing.

I think what you miss with SK is his work on the pk and the defensive side of the puck. He is very very good in those regards.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 05:31 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
But he is not. The chance he had in what was still a meaningful game vs the Blues he was terrible. Now he did well in Garbage time vs the Avs, but after a goal, they quit playing.

I think what you miss with SK is his work on the pk and the defensive side of the puck. He is very very good in those regards.
I realize he is a decent defensive player-- though by no means dominant. I also think his uninspired play the last 15-20 games has affected his effort on both sides of the ice. He's decent defensive and good on the PK, fine, that's what 4th lines are for.

I want someone on our first line who is actually battling, making plays, creating offense, controling tempo, buzzing around out there. I'd give him one more game to show something. If he's still playing passive and uninspired, I'd have no problem demoting him to the 4th line (or bench) and throwing Wilson in his place.

Last edited by dulzhok: 04-20-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old
04-20-2012, 05:43 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
I realize he is a decent defensive player-- though by no means dominant. I also think his uninspired play the last 15-20 games has affected his effort on both sides of the ice. He's decent defensive and good on the PK, fine, that's what 4th lines are for.

I want someone on our first line who is actually battling, making plays, creating offense, controling tempo, buzzing around out there. I'd give him one more game to show something. If he's still playing passive and uninspired, I'd have no problem demoting him to the 4th line (or bench) and throwing Wilson in his place.
I think we have to agree to diagree. The Kostitsyn I see is battling. What I see as him reading the play, maybe you see as uninspired play, which I can understand.

Old
04-20-2012, 05:46 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I think we have to agree to diagree. The Kostitsyn I see is battling. What I see as him reading the play, maybe you see as uninspired play, which I can understand.
It's not just my hockey ignorance. I've seen him play much more inspired hockey, period. Maybe you are making making excuses for his 2 points in 15 games, which I can understand.

Old
04-23-2012, 02:45 PM
thrillhous

At this point it sure seems like there's a good chance Wilson will get moved this summer, no? I mean, getting scratched two postseasons in a row?

thrillhous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:55 PM
MrJoshua

I don't see this as meaning he'll get moved. I see it as meaning that he still has work to do. He's still very young and obviously has tons of talent. He just has to get on the same page as the coach and start working on the parts of his game that lack.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Wilson has the talent to become a productive member of the Preds. It's a matter of him having the work ethic and willingness to operate within the team's framework. He's unlikely to get an offer sheet. He isn't eligible for arbitration. He has little to no leverage here.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Wilson has the talent to become a productive member of the Preds. It's a matter of him having the work ethic and willingness to operate within the team's framework. He's unlikely to get an offer sheet. He isn't eligible for arbitration. He has little to no leverage here.
When has his work ethic ever been in question? The kid has probably been being bag skated for the past 6 weeks...as Tootoo eluded to in his interview. That can be mentally and physically exhausting, yet have not heard one negative comment made about or by Wilson.
Unlikely to get an offer sheet? Not sure what you mean by that? Preds either sign him or trade him. It is as simple as that?

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 08:05 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
When has his work ethic ever been in question? The kid has probably been being bag skated for the past 6 weeks...as Tootoo eluded to in his interview. That can be mentally and physically exhausting, yet have not heard one negative comment made about or by Wilson.
Unlikely to get an offer sheet? Not sure what you mean by that? Preds either sign him or trade him. It is as simple as that?
Work ethic isn't just about bag skating. It's willingness to work on the areas the staff identifies as weak spots.

Sign or trade has multiple levels of nuance. Wilson can try to find a team willing to tender an offer sheet, but, Poile holds the leverage there with first refusal. If he's not traded by the draft, he gets qualified and the Preds hold all the leverage then.

Old
04-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Work ethic isn't just about bag skating. It's willingness to work on the areas the staff identifies as weak spots.

Sign or trade has multiple levels of nuance. Wilson can try to find a team willing to tender an offer sheet, but, Poile holds the leverage there with first refusal. If he's not traded by the draft, he gets qualified and the Preds hold all the leverage then.
You keep referring to willingness to work on areas the staff has asked him to. He did mention in that same interview, that he needed to work on some details of his game and defensively. ( read it again, if you need to refresh).
As far as a contract goes, I can see the same thing happening with him as it did with Kyle Turris. ( if not familiar, Tippett system and he did not gel). Get signed by Nashville and then...get moved. The two situation seem to parallel Each other. Seems to have worked out for Turris now playing in Ottawa.

Last edited by Fortheloveofthegame: 04-23-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old
04-23-2012, 08:38 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
You keep referring to willingness to work on areas the staff has asked him to. He did mention in that same interview, that he needed to work on some details of his game and defensively. ( read it again, if you need to refresh).
As far as a contract goes, I can see the same thing happening with him as it did with Kyle Turris. ( if not familiar, Tippett system and he did not gel). Get signed by Nashville and then...get moved. The two situation seem to parallel Each other. Seems to have worked out for Turris now playing in Ottawa.
He said a lot in that interview. From saying the staff wanted him to work on detail to him saying he was happy with how he played and would play his game. I'll return your invite to revisit the interview, it is a good listen.

What hockey fan on the planet isn't familiar with the Turris situation? C'mon.

Old
04-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
He said a lot in that interview. From saying the staff wanted him to work on detail to him saying he was happy with how he played and would play his game. I'll return your invite to revisit the interview, it is a good listen.

What hockey fan on the planet isn't familiar with the Turris situation? C'mon.
I will end on this. Just before that interview, Trotz was quoted " it was a tough decision to sit Wilson" . That to me says, he was not that unhappy with his play, but that he probably needed to get extra bodies in the line up. I don't know for sure, but that is what I read it as.
We can only speculate.

Old
04-24-2012, 12:03 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
work ethic mght not be the best term. stubborness to adapt and apply coaching would probably be more accurate.

Old
04-24-2012, 12:38 AM
tserberis*

I think Trotz would put him in but he just afraid that Wilson is going to do too much to show off and will **** it up again just like in Blues game...

In such important games Trotz just can't afford to do so and he goes with what he feels is better...

It is not about scoring and offence now, it is about winning!!! (If you don't get it, google Pens...)

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote