HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sherman and Sacco to Return Next Season

Old
04-06-2012, 12:44 PM
avs1dacup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Imagine what they could do with another competent defenseman.
They'd become the LA Kings losing every other game 1-0. It's pretty darn obvious this team needs a top scoring player MORE than a defenseman. That's not to say they shouldn't add one. But if they can only pick one, fill the bigger hole.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
They'd become the LA Kings losing every other game 1-0. It's pretty darn obvious this team needs a top scoring player MORE than a defenseman. That's not to say they shouldn't add one. But if they can only pick one, fill the bigger hole.
Actually, the addition of another competent defenseman SHOULD help the offense. It was the loss of Liles that killed our offense more than the loss of Fleischmann did. Not that they shouldn't be looking for a competent scoring winger as well, but defense--specifically an offensively-capable defenseman--is the bigger need.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Actually, the addition of another competent defenseman SHOULD help the offense. It was the loss of Liles that killed our offense more than the loss of Fleischmann did. Not that they shouldn't be looking for a competent scoring winger as well, but defense--specifically an offensively-capable defenseman--is the bigger need.
I think you hit it on the spot. When you replace really good puck movers like Liles or Shattenkirk and replace them with O'Brien and Hejda, the transition game is going to take a HUGE hit. And we saw it with a huge decline in the offensive output this season. Our defense had very little production from the blue line, and one more reason we excessively used dump and chase because our D was no good at getting the puck into our zone before their forwards were already at the blueline.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:22 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
I think defence is a much bigger issue.

A full year of Downie and McGinn, plus a (hopefully) healthy and in shape Mueller and Duchene and I think we'll be ok. Add in a guy like Olver who's impressed and hopefully Stastny starting strong from Game 1 and I like our forward group. If they can upgrade Jones into a more gifted scorer than I say go for it, but I'd focus most of my resources on the D.

EJ, Hejda and ROB should all stay.

Keep Wilson as a 6th or 7th D. Let go of O'Brien and Hunwick.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
I think defence is a much bigger issue.

A full year of Downie and McGinn, plus a (hopefully) healthy and in shape Mueller and Duchene and I think we'll be ok. Add in a guy like Olver who's impressed and hopefully Stastny starting strong from Game 1 and I like our forward group. If they can upgrade Jones into a more gifted scorer than I say go for it, but I'd focus most of my resources on the D.

EJ, Hejda and ROB should all stay.

Keep Wilson as a 6th or 7th D. Let go of O'Brien and Hunwick.
Gaunce should be at least as competent as O'Brien, I would hope. And giving him 3rd pairing minutes should be okay, I would think. Barrie has looked good in his cameo with the big club, I'd be okay with giving him a spot on the roster out of camp next year. I'd prefer to keep Elliott in the AHL as his defensive game still needs work.

I couldn't care less about what we do with Wilson.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Colorado Avalanche

defense is certainly our biggest weakness at the moment.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I dunno what to make of this....

http://capgeek.com/free_agents.php

Check that list, and look at every player under 30 that's good. They are pretty much ALL of our guys.

Makes for an interesting offseason. Do you just re-sign these guys and hope they will improve on their own or do you cut lose of them and get some vets in here that can right this ship? I still think Sacco's a lousy coach for developing anyone and I cringe at the thought of him being one of the few voices providing feedback/tips to a 21-22 year old kid.

I'm all for the youth movement (because this team needs it), but I think this team needs some serious veteran playoff-tested leadership as well. I'm sorry but Paul Stastny and Eric Johnson - they're good but I consider them a part of this youth movement, not guys who should be teaching others how to play the game.

It's too bad we couldn't get a guy like Shane Doan because I think he'd be helpful here. For Doan's sake though, I hope that dude goes somewhere where he finally can win a cup.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

vCash: 103
I think the team has to try to sign a real good FA for both sides. Sherm might not be able to sign a real good FA on one side so at least get one for the other. Offense and defense both need help. Sadly I think management will re-sign SOB and let hunwick go. It's so weird that I would rather have hunwick than SOB.

Pirate Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:59 PM
PeterTheGreat

If Sherman strikes out on getting a big free agent defender, don't rule out him trading to get one. They don't call him big balls Shermanator for nothing.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

Are any of you open to trading giggy to help the team? I really like him, but I doubt he would re-sign next year so I see him as good as gone in the long term so why not get something for him while his value is probably is as high as its going to be for him.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:38 PM
FoppaForsberg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The U View Post
Are any of you open to trading giggy to help the team? I really like him, but I doubt he would re-sign next year so I see him as good as gone in the long term so why not get something for him while his value is probably is as high as its going to be for him.
lol, All you'd get for Giggy is a low round draft pick, pass.

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:49 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by The U View Post
Are any of you open to trading giggy to help the team?
I'd be open to trading anyone if it meant helping the team. I.e. I love Lando and Staz but if they got Crosby and Malkin then I'd pull the trigger. Extreme hypothetical situation (and 100% impossible) but you get my drift.

Quote:
I really like him, but I doubt he would re-sign next year
Why? Pickard and Attio probably won't be ready for NHL time until another few years, and even then does it matter? Varly is our goalie for the future, not Pickard or Atti. I doubt they'd get a chance to show their potential in the NHL unless Varly got injured for a year and even then I am sure this team would sooner trade them than Varly.

My point? Giggy is the perfect player/stop gap for the next few years. He's a great mentor for varly and the best back up we've had since Abby. They have no reason to let him go especially when he won't be commanding anything high. If another team offers him a no. 1 role then maybe I see him leaving but that's highly doubtful.

Quote:
so I see him as good as gone in the long term so why not get something for him while his value is probably is as high as its going to be for him.
Depends on the value, anything later than 2nd round pick I'd pass.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:10 PM
CunniJA

As has been posted multiple times around the forum, 11th in goals against, 24th in goals for. The goaltending situation, I think, is pretty good right now. Defense is not as big of a problem as the lack of scoring. It is true that D-men can help with that, but I think that even worse than the transition game this year was the simple lack of finishing. In fact, the team didn't have trouble getting shots, so I think that shows that defense is not the major issue. When you outshoot the opposition by an average of 2 shots, your defense is doing a pretty good job getting the puck up. Lack of finish is the killer and that's why

Offensive needs > Defensive needs

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Why? Pickard and Attio probably won't be ready for NHL time until another few years, and even then does it matter? Varly is our goalie for the future, not Pickard or Atti. I doubt they'd get a chance to show their potential in the NHL unless Varly got injured for a year and even then I am sure this team would sooner trade them than Varly.

My point? Giggy is the perfect player/stop gap for the next few years. He's a great mentor for varly and the best back up we've had since Abby. They have no reason to let him go especially when he won't be commanding anything high. If another team offers him a no. 1 role then maybe I see him leaving but that's highly doubtful.
Just throwing a few ideas out there - 1) I heard Giggy and Varlamov don't get along from someone here - can't remember who 2) If Varly's the #1 that everyone is declaring now, then yeah Giggy might wanna leave to compete for a #1 spot 3) Giggy might want a run at a cup instead of mentoring Varlamov, especially if #1 and #2 are true..and finally 4) I think we'll see Kent Patterson before Attio or Pickard. He seems to be more ready than either (at least in my eyes)

Nothing definitive there....but just trying to make the point that it's not a slam dunk Giggy is coming back.

Old
04-06-2012, 06:06 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

I think the biggest priority this season has to be getting back Hunwick. He'd be perfect alongside EJ. He didn't get a fair shake from Sacco all year but was a perfect professional. If I were him I wouldnt be back but this team needs Hunwick and needs him playing well. The alternative options will cost double or triple the price, which the Avs won't pay. So if the Avs don't re-sign Hunwick they won't fill that void of a good skating puck moving dman who can play with EJ. And they miss the playoffs again.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM93 View Post
lol, All you'd get for Giggy is a low round draft pick, pass.
If thats the case then yeah keep him, but there might be some desperate teams out there

Old
04-06-2012, 06:32 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
I think the biggest priority this season has to be getting back Hunwick. He'd be perfect alongside EJ. He didn't get a fair shake from Sacco all year but was a perfect professional. If I were him I wouldnt be back but this team needs Hunwick and needs him playing well. The alternative options will cost double or triple the price, which the Avs won't pay. So if the Avs don't re-sign Hunwick they won't fill that void of a good skating puck moving dman who can play with EJ. And they miss the playoffs again.
I think you're giving Hunny too much credit. He's a good defenseman when he's on his game, but we so how bad he can be as well. He's a good depth defenseman, but he shouldn't be relied on to be the top pairing. I wouldn't mind trying it for a few games, but if thats the gameplan our defense will be in trouble again next year.

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Nzap
BaltoBaltoBaltoBalto

vCash: 50
Wait, when did Giggy and Varly have troubles with each other?
Completely new news for me.
I thought they were getting along very well.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 06:58 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I think you're giving Hunny too much credit. He's a good defenseman when he's on his game, but we so how bad he can be as well. He's a good depth defenseman, but he shouldn't be relied on to be the top pairing. I wouldn't mind trying it for a few games, but if thats the gameplan our defense will be in trouble again next year.
He's the best option there is. Unfortunately. I agree he's not ideal but he can be serviceable.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:15 PM
the_fan

If guys like Hunwick and O'Brien play on top pair all season long, the team is not gonna make the playoffs period because this are 3rd pair d-men playing above their capabilities on #1 pairing.

The problem with the Avs besides being the youngest team in the league is that they lack top d-men. They got a #1 guy in EJ, after that all they have is 4,5 and 6. I think the Avs need a #2 and a #3 going forward next year if they want to make the playoffs.

Barrie and Elliott might turn out to be solid 2 or 3, but they are too young to be relied on. Avs really should go after someone like Suter in the off-season.

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:27 PM
benzino

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
He's the best option there is. Unfortunately. I agree he's not ideal but he can be serviceable.
If the Avs can't bring in any UFA D-men I prefer if they give Barrie and Gaunce a chance instead of bringing back Hunwick and O'Brien. Yes Barrie and Gaunce will make mistakes but so will O'Brien and Hunwick rather give the young guys a proper chance in NHL.

benzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:37 PM
BrickAHL
No More

The 2012 FA class is pretty bad for defenseman. Other than Suter there is no one I am willing to give more than 4 million to and I am assuming that a lot of those defensemen will get that more than 4 million.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzino View Post
If the Avs can't bring in any UFA D-men I prefer if they give Barrie and Gaunce a chance instead of bringing back Hunwick and O'Brien. Yes Barrie and Gaunce will make mistakes but so will O'Brien and Hunwick rather give the young guys a proper chance in NHL.
I'm sure they are going to open up at least one of the defensive pairing spots to a young player. It will just be interesting to see which one.

I'd like to see guys develop but I don't want us to cut loose of vets and bring in rooks only to watch them flounder. Say for instance, we penciled in Elliott and let him play the whole year out. He obviously wasn't ready and after a handful of games teams really took advantage of him. You can't let a young guy like that just hang out to dry for 50+ games. I think that's why we keep signing these bottom pairing guys. SOB sucks, but it's not like you're ruining his career.

Old
04-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peckerskull View Post
Rumor is that all candidates are being told that Patrick Roy WILL BE the Habs new coach. Thus, whomever takes the GM position has to accept it, and apparently Damphousse turned it down because of this, as he and Patrick don't get along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I heard something like that , a few days ago , that Roy was pencil as the new coach . Now to say that him and Damphouse dont get along ... idk.

One thing is sure the excuses Damphouse gave the media, because he wasnt interested about the GM job in MTL , i didnt buy them .
You guys were saying???

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=393734

If Lefebvre moves on, it would be a great move to bring ROY in to replace him as an eventual replacement for Sucko. (Not sure, he'd go for that though)

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 05:44 PM
cgf
Aves Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
And why shouldn't he be? These players CLEARLY want to play for him. I can tell by how they get up for big games that they want nothing more than to go out there and make him proud. He inspires them to play their best when it counts and is, dare I say, a mastermind of this game. I can't believe this guy didn't get scooped up before we promoted him. I mean, Lake Erie was a powerhouse under him. They were only a few steps from the Calder Cup. We got him though, and his grinding style is nothing short of a thrill ride. We might as well build a statue of him outside of Pepsi Center right away. Guy is just too good. Should probably be considered for the next Olympics as well.
Easy there. Sacco still has a lot to learn about how to generate offense and create plays that'll give the team quality scoring chances before he becomes deserving of the praise you're heaping on him. He's a good motivator and his players wanna play for him, but that alone doesn't make him a great coach.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote