HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2012, 08:06 PM
  #1
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,515
vCash: 500
The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Part 1

When the threads get too long we like to split them up, so continue!


Last edited by Jarick: 10-24-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:33 PM
  #2
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 7,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Part 1

When the threads get too long we like to split them up, so continue!
Sticky plez?

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 08:46 PM
  #3
qmechanic
Registered User
 
qmechanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
At the moment, I'm rehabbing my pulled groin which I injured about five weeks ago. Hoping to get back on the ice soon. For now, the trainer at the gym told me to do stretches.

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 11:13 PM
  #4
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,842
vCash: 500
Been playing hockey for a year and a couple of months now and I'm just trying to take it to the next level. Been playing in the bottom two divisions of my men's league and the better team I'm on has some good players on it so I'm just trying to learn as much as I can from them (including my dad and grandpa haha).

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 12:13 PM
  #5
MortUWary
Registered Loser
 
MortUWary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Been playing hockey for a year and a couple of months now and I'm just trying to take it to the next level. Been playing in the bottom two divisions of my men's league and the better team I'm on has some good players on it so I'm just trying to learn as much as I can from them (including my dad and grandpa haha).
Where do you play? I see that you're in NY (I'm in Westchester).

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:28 PM
  #6
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pickering ON & N-NJ
Country: Canada
Posts: 667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmechanic View Post
At the moment, I'm rehabbing my pulled groin which I injured about five weeks ago. Hoping to get back on the ice soon. For now, the trainer at the gym told me to do stretches.
I had a groin issue that lasted 4 years. I just found a great RMT who has been able to actually fix the issue in 3 one hour massage sessions.

I heard about using a RMT or SMT for groin pulls by reading beyond the crease by Martin Brodure. But I have to tell you that finding a good RMT that dosen't think you are asking for a tuggy when you say you need work on your groin is very hard work. Some will say "Oh I know exactly what you mean" then give you a back rub, flip you over and depending on you (Try to) start working on not exactly the groin.

It took me a year to find a real RMT who worked with sports injury's but I have to tell you that it has been worth the wait!

Okay with all the above said I know I have set myself up for jokes but the info is good info and has worked to resolve the burning and pulling sensation in the knee and inside of my left thigh I had been dealing for 4 + years.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:07 PM
  #7
Copeland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
You know what, guys? To heck with it.


I'm going goalie.

Should have done this a long time ago...

(Apologies for the derail )

Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 12:08 AM
  #8
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pickering ON & N-NJ
Country: Canada
Posts: 667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeland View Post
You know what, guys? To heck with it.


I'm going goalie.

Should have done this a long time ago...

(Apologies for the derail )
watch this before you spend the money. I switched a year and a half ago and I'm just now getting starting to call myself a goalie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=nzdembTVWSo

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:31 AM
  #9
Copeland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
Awesome vid!! Gotta love Marty!

And don't worry, I've been playing goalie on dry ground for a bit, so I know it's pretty tough lol. It'll be even tougher on ice. It's just that I thought it would be a smart idea to 'learn the ropes' first by entering hockey as a skater, but all it's doing is sucking my soul. So I'm gonna do what I should have done two years ago, and go for it. The new skates (for better fit) that I was gonna get will have some cowling on 'em.

It'll be tough and heartbreaking and frustrating at times but I'll be doing what I wanted to do from the start. Can't wait for summer now!!


Last edited by Copeland: 04-20-2012 at 01:32 AM. Reason: errant question mark lol
Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:46 AM
  #10
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pickering ON & N-NJ
Country: Canada
Posts: 667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeland View Post
Awesome vid!! Gotta love Marty!

And don't worry, I've been playing goalie on dry ground for a bit, so I know it's pretty tough lol. It'll be even tougher on ice. It's just that I thought it would be a smart idea to 'learn the ropes' first by entering hockey as a skater, but all it's doing is sucking my soul. So I'm gonna do what I should have done two years ago, and go for it. The new skates (for better fit) that I was gonna get will have some cowling on 'em.

It'll be tough and heartbreaking and frustrating at times but I'll be doing what I wanted to do from the start. Can't wait for summer now!!
As long as you know what you are in for I hope you have fun. One thing I did when I started to play shinny in net was tell everyone that I was there as a courtesy. (better than hitting the post, but only slightly better than hanging a teeshirt.)

Welcome to the club buddy.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:21 AM
  #11
Copeland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
"Better than hitting the post, but only slightly better than hanging a teeshirt." Hahaha that's gold!!

Also, I figured out part of the skate fit issues. The Supremes I have are too big in the heel for me, so I only get a lock when the rest of the skate is laced up too tight. Wonder which goalie skates would have a narrow heel and regular-wide middle foot with deep instep... I know there's tons of info in the Skate Buying Guide for player skates but do you think that would translate?

Anyway I'm in no rush regarding skates since I won't be getting them til June, so plenty of time to investigate!

Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:22 AM
  #12
nightfighter
Registered User
 
nightfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,493
vCash: 500
Have any of you kept a spare stick on the bench and, upon returning to it after a game of pickup, noticed that it had been used? This happened to me last week and annoyed me to no end. What's the protocol for something like that?

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:04 AM
  #13
CPAir
Registered User
 
CPAir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Niagara Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Have any of you kept a spare stick on the bench and, upon returning to it after a game of pickup, noticed that it had been used? This happened to me last week and annoyed me to no end. What's the protocol for something like that?
Keep it in the locker room?

CPAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:11 AM
  #14
qmechanic
Registered User
 
qmechanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
Is this the first time it happened to you? As long as it doesn't happen again, it's probably not worth getting riled up about... IMHO

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:43 AM
  #15
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeland View Post
"Better than hitting the post, but only slightly better than hanging a teeshirt." Hahaha that's gold!!

Also, I figured out part of the skate fit issues. The Supremes I have are too big in the heel for me, so I only get a lock when the rest of the skate is laced up too tight. Wonder which goalie skates would have a narrow heel and regular-wide middle foot with deep instep... I know there's tons of info in the Skate Buying Guide for player skates but do you think that would translate?

Anyway I'm in no rush regarding skates since I won't be getting them til June, so plenty of time to investigate!
Try Reebok or Supreme?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:12 PM
  #16
Copeland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
I have player Supremes and they're giving me pain, remember? They're the right length, it's the heel that seems to be a problem, leading to pain in the middle part because I have to have them too tight or I won't have control. Do the goalie Supremes have a narrower heel?

Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:25 PM
  #17
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!
 
adaminnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pickering ON & N-NJ
Country: Canada
Posts: 667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeland View Post
I have player Supremes and they're giving me pain, remember? They're the right length, it's the heel that seems to be a problem, leading to pain in the middle part because I have to have them too tight or I won't have control. Do the goalie Supremes have a narrower heel?
I changed to the RBK 4K 09 skate from the 08 Vapor XIX and I have the same issue as you with my feet being wide in the front and a narrow heel. I say I have duck feet. The RBKs have been great so far.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 01:52 PM
  #18
Copeland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
Thanks! I seem to also have duck feet lol I'll jot down the Rbks in the 'hopefuls' column.

Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:12 PM
  #19
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,515
vCash: 500
Also check out Graf 35's for narrow heel and wider forefoot.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 02:13 PM
  #20
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Have any of you kept a spare stick on the bench and, upon returning to it after a game of pickup, noticed that it had been used? This happened to me last week and annoyed me to no end. What's the protocol for something like that?
I've lent out my spare stick but never had it used without my permission. Unless someone grabbed it by accident, I've seen that a couple times (guys with similar sticks).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 03:07 PM
  #21
Copeland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
Regarding the stick, yeah unless it happens again best to just let it go.

And Jarick, thanks for the recommendation but Grafs are just a tad out of budget... lol

Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 03:22 PM
  #22
ean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,802
vCash: 500
Using someone else's anything without permission in pickup is definitely a nono.

On a similar note, do not bring anything into the rink you would not miss if it were stolen. For me that includes wallet and cell phone, which stay in the car.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 06:49 PM
  #23
CPAir
Registered User
 
CPAir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Niagara Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Using someone else's anything without permission in pickup is definitely a nono.

On a similar note, do not bring anything into the rink you would not miss if it were stolen. For me that includes wallet and cell phone, which stay in the car.
Are thefts pretty common? Do people know others who have had stuff outta their bag, wallet, phone solen a lot? I was concerned about this.

CPAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:21 PM
  #24
mgilmartin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
I've been skating 2-3 times per week since October. I'm finally getting on the ice with my new stick today for the stick-and-puck session at the local rink. Been looking forward to this for a long time.

mgilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 12:13 AM
  #25
Copeland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgilmartin View Post
I've been skating 2-3 times per week since October. I'm finally getting on the ice with my new stick today for the stick-and-puck session at the local rink. Been looking forward to this for a long time.
I agree, there's just something about that first time you skate with a stick.

Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.