HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was the biggest mistake this year trading both Wolski and EC?

Old
04-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
i think Sather really thought he was going to snag Nash.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:37 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
I was and continued to be mystified why Sather didn't pick up at least one journeyman forward that fit the team's mold at the deadline. Not at Gaustad's price but more like Pahlsson's ticket (2 4ths) They obviously felt Kreider was better than anyone available.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:45 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

So let me get this straight, you think it was a mistake to trade WW who has been a healthy scratch in 2 of 4 PO games the Panthers have played this post-season?
I don't agree with every move Torts makes but Dineen has not been eager to play him in Florida either...

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:57 AM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

I basically said this verbatim in the PGT for Game 4:

"If we lose this series, which I can guarantee we'll win, I blame Sather for dropping a nice steaming deuce at the trade deadline and prior. And not for the reasons you all might think. I don't care about Nash and I know I'll get flamed for this.. but trading both Christensen AND Wolski for bags of pucks is what is going to do this team in, as stupid as it sounds. We're one injury to a key player away from getting schalacked. We're playing poor Chris Kreider on the 4th line for 3 minutes a game because we traded away all our forward depth. Lord have mercy if one of our key players gets seriously hurt."

You CANNOT go into an anticipated deep playoff run with 20 y/o Chris Kreider who signed 2 weeks ago and John Effing Scott as your forward depth. I understand, Zuccarello got hurt and Hagelin is suspended. Which leads me to this saying: **** happens. It's inevitable in life and even more inevitable in hockey.. guys WILL get hurt. Just know that at this moment, we're one key forward (Callahan, Richards, Gaborik) injury away from being royally screwed. I don't care what anyone says, but either EC or Wolski would be better than Kreider right now. I'll go as far as to say we would have had a MUCH better chance of winning Game 4 if one of those guys had been in the lineup and NOT because of their impact on the ice, but their impact on the game. Torts would have been more comfortable to roll 4 lines with NHL players opposed to a kid out of the NCAA and our top guys wouldn't have been gassed in the 3rd and OT.

Also, and I made a thread regarding this about 80% through the season but if torts isn't going to trust Bickel than put Eminger in. You can't roll 5 D against a speedy team like Ottawa. I don't think I saw Bickel play a shift in the 3rd or OT..

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
So let me get this straight, you think it was a mistake to trade WW who has been a healthy scratch in 2 of 4 PO games the Panthers have played this post-season?
I don't agree with every move Torts makes but Dineen has not been eager to play him in Florida either...
No. I said it was a mistake to trade BOTH WW and EC. It was not a mistake to trade 1 if we kept the other. Our forward depth is nothing. Considering Sather didn't make any "depth" moves at the deadline I do think it was a mistake to trade depth and leave this roster prone.

04-21-2012, 11:19 AM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
No. I said it was a mistake to trade BOTH WW and EC. It was not a mistake to trade 1 if we kept the other. Our forward depth is nothing. Considering Sather didn't make any "depth" moves at the deadline I do think it was a mistake to trade depth and leave this roster prone.
It seems like everyone here is missing the point we're trying to make. We're not arguing that we shouldn't have traded WW.. we're arguing that we shouldn't have traded WW AND EC without acquiring some other legitimate forward depth.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:26 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
i think Sather really thought he was going to snag Nash.
Yea , we really don't know all the potential deals Sather considers or tries to make happen. He needs the space to make the deal and he's shown up a master trader for NYR. Maybe he was close on Nash but passed when they held out for McDonagh. Still the conversation doesn't even have a chance if he doesn't move the guys Torts clearly doesn't dig anyway....

For all we know Sather could have been close to getting Selanne, the guy I wished we had rented for this run.

Would love Selanne on this run.. Sigh

04-21-2012, 12:38 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
It seems like everyone here is missing the point we're trying to make. We're not arguing that we shouldn't have traded WW.. we're arguing that we shouldn't have traded WW AND EC without acquiring some other legitimate forward depth.
Considering what both did with their new teams post-trade kind of validates the moves...

And you weren't getting "legitimate" forward depth for either one of those even if you packaged them together.

Old
04-21-2012, 01:01 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Selanne has no intention of playing for a NHL team which is not in Anaheim.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 02:48 PM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Considering what both did with their new teams post-trade kind of validates the moves...

And you weren't getting "legitimate" forward depth for either one of those even if you packaged them together.
What does it matter what they're doing with their new respective teams? Both are a better option than Chris Kreider at this stage in his career. And I think you misunderstood what I was saying about getting back legit forward depth. I didn't mean necessarily for EC and WW, I meant in general. If you're going to trade away our forward depth at least acquire some more (whether it's for picks/prospects whatever). John Scott is a goon and doesn't fit that category. I'm sorry, but if he's not beating up anyone's face he's useless.

Old
04-21-2012, 03:10 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WojtekGoalski View Post
What does it matter what they're doing with their new respective teams? Both are a better option than Chris Kreider at this stage in his career. And I think you misunderstood what I was saying about getting back legit forward depth. I didn't mean necessarily for EC and WW, I meant in general. If you're going to trade away our forward depth at least acquire some more (whether it's for picks/prospects whatever). John Scott is a goon and doesn't fit that category. I'm sorry, but if he's not beating up anyone's face he's useless.
It matters what they have done or aren't doing because neither of them bring anything to the table...if the future is Kreider then let him play, but really if you think EC or WW would have changed the face of this series after the Hags suspension then I don't know what to say...we'll agree to disagree.