HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Sad News (JF Omalycat)

Old
04-17-2012, 10:53 PM

vCash: 500
Very sad news.. terribly sorry to hear about this. Hope the family is doing well. He seemed like a good dude.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:02 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Well this certainly puts things in perspective.

May God rest your soul, JF, and may he comfort the family. 40 is much too young to leave this Earth.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:09 AM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Here to pay my respects, only knew him by his posts, but he was a valuable member of this community. RIP JF Omalycat.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 04:14 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow

RIP my friend. You'll be missed.

04-18-2012, 07:02 AM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

What a strong young woman to compose herself just following her father's sudden death to post a word of caution for us all. Prayers for her and her family.

Zoo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:10 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

I read Danielle's post to my wife and couldn't keep from tearing up, very moving and well-written. Her father is gone too soon. RIP

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 07:57 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

So sad, R.I.P.... I dont have words for it.... my condolences to his family.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 09:17 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
So very sorry to read this. I met Randy and Danielle (I think) briefly in December when he used my tickets for a game. Nice guy, gone too soon. I'll definitely remember this the next time I try to avoid the doctor for something. RIP.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Weird, this internet. Never met the guy in person, but I am fighting back tears at this news. Prayers for Danielle and the family. And peace, JFO.
So true for me as well. I don't think I've met anyone from here, but I feel like I could cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj21 View Post
Life is so fragile. RIP.
Worth repeating.

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:22 PM
Cyclones Rock

My condolences to the family.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:22 PM
hip check
Go North.

When I read the title 'Sad News (JF Omalycat)' I immediately prayed that this wasn't the case. My heart goes out to the family and friends.

hip check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

One thing that I wanted to mention. Sometimes going to the Doctors office makes no difference. Obviously everyone should see a Dr. for regular check-ups, especially when they reach the age of 40, but sometimes genetics trumps all else. Generally people that die from acute MI's at a young age have a genetic predisposition for such an event. Fathers that died around that age, grandfathers, etc.

I have seen these things many times, sadly, in my 32 years in Fire/EMS.

Maybe it would have made a huge difference had JF seen a Dr. before this happened, but maybe not. Had he ever felt bad? Was he having any symptoms that should have tipped him off to trouble ahead? Was he ignoring warning signs of an impending cardiac event? Was he aware of a family history of this?

Sudden cardiac death is just that, sudden.

What I am trying to get at is that I hope the family doesn't beat themselves up over him not going to the doctor. It may not have made any difference. Not knowing the history makes it hard to determine.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:52 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
One thing that I wanted to mention. Sometimes going to the Doctors office makes no difference. Obviously everyone should see a Dr. for regular check-ups, especially when they reach the age of 40, but sometimes genetics trumps all else. Generally people that die from acute MI's at a young age have a genetic predisposition for such an event. Fathers that died around that age, grandfathers, etc.

I have seen these things many times, sadly, in my 32 years in Fire/EMS.

Maybe it would have made a huge difference had JF seen a Dr. before this happened, but maybe not. Had he ever felt bad? Was he having any symptoms that should have tipped him off to trouble ahead? Was he ignoring warning signs of an impending cardiac event? Was he aware of a family history of this?

Sudden cardiac death is just that, sudden.

What I am trying to get at is that I hope the family doesn't beat themselves up over him not going to the doctor. It may not have made any difference. Not knowing the history makes it hard to determine.
Hard attacks are rarely sudden. There are usually indicators ahead of time. Where it's less obvious is younger patients (20's and younger). Things like blockages are usually detectable and predictable with warnings.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 04:34 PM
The Four Seven
Boone Jenner

My sincere and deepest condolences.

The Four Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 11:12 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Randy was the first HF poster I ever met in real life. I met him, Top Shelf and some non-posters at an OSU hockey game. I veer toward shyness in real life but Randy managed to talk me into showing up. There was a humor and a friendliness about him that made me say ok.

I did and was rewarded with an incredibly gregarious and welcoming encounter. He insisted on buying beer. A great time was had by all. In fact, I think we ventured over to Mickeys on 5th to continue the party.

I only saw him once or twice since then. I remember his face well.
I can't imagine a better person to have helped bring me out from behind the computer.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:25 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

This is really sad news, and a real loss for our online community. Stay strong, Danielle and family!

This brings to mind a point that I have been thinking about recently... if I were to suddenly pass, how would any of my online friends find out? In this digital age, I'm a part of many far-scattered communities. I was thinking the other day of having a list of my passwords and some key contact names for my wife in "the box" so if anything happens, people won't think I just left.

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:39 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by plong123 View Post
This is really sad news, and a real loss for our online community. Stay strong, Danielle and family!

This brings to mind a point that I have been thinking about recently... if I were to suddenly pass, how would any of my online friends find out? In this digital age, I'm a part of many far-scattered communities. I was thinking the other day of having a list of my passwords and some key contact names for my wife in "the box" so if anything happens, people won't think I just left.
To be certain, you could put the Information and instructions in your will and require the executor or a beneficiary to act on your behalf. Haven't seen it done, but don't see any reason you couldn't.

And, everyone should have a will and a living will. There are now very cheap, easy forms that are reasonably good where assets are not too complex. They makes things easier on family members during a stressful time.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
To be certain, you could put the Information and instructions in your will and require the executor or a beneficiary to act on your behalf. Haven't seen it done, but don't see any reason you couldn't.

And, everyone should have a will and a living will. There are now very cheap, easy forms that are reasonably good where assets are not too complex. They makes things easier on family members during a stressful time.
Great points.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Doctor Spin

Very sad news for a special family. Our thoughts are with you.

Doctor Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 06:12 PM
AngryWorm

Rip

AngryWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Toe Pick

I took in a few Ohio State hockey games with JF during the lockout. Just a passionate, friendly and fun guy.

Danielle, having lost a parent myself at a younger age, I know words can't express the loss and hurt you feel.... I think your dad would be very proud of the courage and care you displayed posting here. Thank you for letting us know.

My condolences.

Toe Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

RIP! Our prayers are with the family....

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 12:02 AM
Macster

Just terrible news. JF was one of the posters I looked up to when I first joined up.

All the best to his family, there's really no words for this.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 12:30 PM
aDreamboat

I don't post that much on here. But I do read a lot and I liked his posts. I'm sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers are with the family.

aDreamboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
yikes. Not exactly the sort of news one expects when returning after a while...

I've unfortunately seen this happen before with other largely-online communities I'm part of (a friend passed away from a stroke around this time last year) and frankly it never gets any easier.

May his memory be for a blessing.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote