HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCQF | Game 5 | Detroit Red Wings @ Nashville Predators | 8:00 PM ET | CNBC FSD SPSO

Old
04-21-2012, 12:07 AM
DarkReign

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geki View Post
Fixed that for you.

The wings of the past 4-5 years seem to lose all heart in a series when they can't score at will on a goalie. Or at least score when they think they should be able to score. It's like their hearts just break as soon as a good scoring chance gets shut down. Then they white-knuckle their sticks, look for fancy plays and get rope-a-doped for an entire series. Look at our playoff losses in the last 4 years, exactly the same story.
I hope you realize Niemi sucks.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 05:45 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
This team is majorly stale. Needs serious changes.

But re-signing Bertuzzi for 2 years suggests things won't change.
I do not think there is a single poster on this board supporing that signing. BTW Bertuzzi leads the team (tied) with -5, the worst on the team (Abdelkader and Stuart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
Didn't feel like we had the speed or size to keep consistent pressure on Nashville- not enough speed to turn the corner on them, and no size to push them around and establish position on offense. I think we would have struggled against most of the teams in the PO's this year. Next year will likely be more of the same if we can't add both to the roster.
I have been saying now for 2 months that Babcock had to work in Conner. I can't believe Babcock did not see how badly we needed his speed and energy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGibby View Post
Lost the series because of goaltending and a lack of good quality shots. Detroit was better at multiple times but couldn't beat Rinne IMO. Preds are a good team and I'm not too sure if any other teams are going to be able to score more then Detroit did. I can see them riding Rinne deep.
The other 3 teams (Blues, Kings, Coyotes) play the same way and their goalies are great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
I don't think goaltending was the big issue. Our defense gave up one brain-fart goal each game and four times that goal was the difference.
I do not think either our goaltending was the big issue, though Howard was not good. Our biggest problem was our team defence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoI uAreTheGovt View Post
You guys win all the time. Let us have one season in the sun.
Enjoy!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
I can't think of any Wing he stood out to me that series (in a good way) other than maybe Zetterberg.

Even though I think we outplayed them in Game 4, the Preds for the most part outworked, hustled, etc us. They just wanted it more. Tonight was by far our worst performance of the series.

Hopefully that wasn't Lids' last game.
I would also single out Zetterberg as our lone good player in the series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
I hate Stuart. Absolutely worthless piece of dung.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Quincey wasn't great, but he wasn't terrible. He had a few glaring mistakes and brain farts, but for the most part played solid.

Stuart, on the hand, played the worst hockey of his career (as a Red Wing). Even on the backcheck tonight that Redmond/Daniels were praising him for, the only reason he had to make it was because he made a terrible play to get beat in the first place. And on their 2nd goal tonight - again a terrible play by Stuart.
That is true and I was thinking the same. He created that chance by his mistake and then he saved it, but it was his mistake in the 1st place. Stuart was brutal, by far our worst player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I think Gus did well, considering he was stepping in with so little pro experience. Also, Emmerton answered the call and did well. Ericsson and Q were good for us. Miller impressed me. No offense to speak of, but solid, gritty play. Cleary didn't put up the points, but his skating was back and he consistently took the body.

We didn't do much great in this series, but there were a few bright spots. I have to think just the experience of playoff hockey was good for Gus and Emmerton.
Gus yes, but Emmerton not.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 06:11 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeYarmond Edison View Post
Zetterberg was a workhorse, though. Datsyuk was pretty much a nonfactor.
Z was our lone good player, Datsyuk was rea a nonfacotor at all. But I would not blame Datsyuk at all. I think it is Babcock's fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnamSanctam View Post
The reffing didn't decide this series, but I'm a bit upset that when the third period hit they wouldn't even call Weber on slashing Datsyuk's stick in half. There's a difference between letting them play and letting it become the Wild West.

Ah well, Ken better do something this off-season. Any Wings team that isn't excellent is a disappointment, and this team isn't excellent.
I did not see that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Zetterberg was a workhorse and yet had 3 points and was a minus player.

There's something really wrong with the way this team is constructed.
Z was the only good player in the series. Datsyuk pulled a Hossa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
It's fine for you to not like a guy. I just objected to him being singled out in some significant way. I think he had a very good series, tbh. I usually pick on Ericsson, but he also didn't seem to do much that made me notice him in a negative light. I wish he had more offensive spark because our D was just not getting it done, top to bottom, but there you have it.
I do not think he had a good series, but he lead our Dmen (tied with Kronwall) with 2 points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Zetterberg has Filppula on his wing, who works his ass off. Pavs typically had Mule and Bert. It was obvious come playoff time. Didjya know Bert's a power forward?
Babcock played Fraznen with Datsyuk till the 3rd period and then it was too, too, tooooooooo late.
He had to play Fraznen with Filppula and Z with Datsyuk, but .... is there anything good BAbcock did in the series?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretskidoo View Post
Filppula was completely and utterly invisible in the playoffs. I'm not even sure he played at all.
Filppula was not good at all. He looked almost like Cleary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
I liked what I saw out of Nyquist in the series, especially taking into account that he was handcuffed to Homer and Emmerton for most of his IT. I REALLY would have liked him to get more games up w/ the Wings during the season, and more time w/ Datsyuk, which could have really set him up for success this postseason. Of course, Babcock doesn't seem fond of playing the young guys, so he still might have banished him to the 4th line anyway.
Nyquist was one of a very few players showing something and then Babcock decides to play Bertuzzi with Datsyuk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Oh yeah, I almost forgot:

FLIP THE SWITCH!!!!!

Well the way the Wings played last 2 months we had to hope there was the switch, but now we all know there is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
Hilarious. I thought the same thing. This is the last year I think that excuse can be made for certain personalities. How you play the last games of the season is pretty much how you're looking post-season.
Well, that's it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
Sad ending to a promising season.
I do not think it was a promising season.
Holland and Babcock screwed it up big time.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Spitfire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
I do not think it was a promising season.
Holland and Babcock screwed it up big time.
To start the year, I'd agree with you. It was extremely disappointing to see no changes in the offseason and that Holland basically brought back the exact same team that had failed the previous 2 seasons. It seemed completely asinine.

But then Howard came up with a big year, Datsyuk was still playing like the world's best player, Filppula had his breakout year, Hudler appeared like he might not be a useless sack of ****, and Miller-Helm-whoever formed what was likely the best forechecking 3rd line in the league. They were in 1st place, and with the addition of a good depth forward like Gaustad to stabilize the 4th line they looked ready to make a serious run at the Cup. How was the season not promising at this point? They had the pieces they needed(or could get them), and like Babcock said, it looked like their best chance at winning again.

But then Howard got hurt, the ****ing Blackhawks strike again and Datsyuk gets hurt, the streak is broken, the only trade is a 1st for MFQuincey, Bertuzzi is inexplicably given a 2yr extension with a raise, Helm gets hurt, Lidstrom hurt, and obviously the team starts to fall apart.

A sad ending to the season...

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 12:38 PM
pucky

Howard couldn't keep up with Rinne and the Wings couldn't score.

Zetterberg looked like their best forward in the last game.... the rest? Meh.

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Sentinel

I blame Babcock for overplaying Howard. And for instituting a non-working system that collapsed against MF Nashville.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
I blame Babcock for overplaying Howard. And for instituting a non-working system that collapsed against MF Nashville.
a non-working system?

dont you need the type of guys who work shift in and shift out to play that kind of game?

who is our draper-maltby-macarty?

the playoffs are rarely a game that allows star players to dominate each and every shift. its a time where your role players, your bottom 6 forwards, have to step up and contribute both with timely offensive production, big hits, blocked shots and momentum changing shifts and games and the fact is, our bottom six isnt capable whatsoever of doing that at all, and out top six is devoid of secondary scoring thus putting all the pressure on datsyuk and zetterberg.

he over played howard because the alternative was a non nhl calibre backup.

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote