HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings Prospects Tracker - Part III - Revenge of the Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2012, 08:20 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Jarnkrok with two assists in game six as they win the Swedish Championship! He finishes the playoffs with 4G12A +12 in 16 games. 2nd on team, 4th overall in playoff scoring.
I saw a couple of highlights of Jarnkrok in the playoffs, this kid is the real deal. Great vision, good defensively, slick passer, and he's a right handed shot to boot. Right now he's a 2A/2B with Nyquist but if he puts in a solid World Championship he may even move Smith out of the #1 spot. Anyone else wondering if Nyquist may get the call to play in the WC?

Old
04-19-2012, 09:53 PM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Depends what your team is in need of. Jarnkrok's the puck carrier with slick playmaking abilities. Can run a PP. Silfverberg is a straight forward type of player with a sick shot. Both guys are very good defensively.

Silfverberg is better right now though, the guy won both the regular + playoff MVP awards.. Their overall projection remains the same for me. Silfverberg is Alfie light and Jarnkrok is Backstrom light.

Jarnkrok played most of the playoffs as center, but played wing whenever Johan Larsson was on his line.
Good to hear. Yeah again, hope he's on Team Sweden for the WC.

I've heard the Backstrom comparison but I thought maybe that's just because of the Brynas connection. RWC.com compares him to Zetterberg. Nice sentiment. What about Claude Giroux?

Old
04-20-2012, 12:43 AM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Pretty amazing. Grats to Brynas & Calle.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:42 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
Good to hear. Yeah again, hope he's on Team Sweden for the WC.

I've heard the Backstrom comparison but I thought maybe that's just because of the Brynas connection. RWC.com compares him to Zetterberg. Nice sentiment. What about Claude Giroux?
Next stop should be the Czech Hockey Games April 26th for games against Finland, Russia and Czech Republic. I'm personally rooting for a Silfverberg-Jarnkrok-Landeskog line.

A faster but smaller right handed version of Backstrom would be the closest I can come up with. Neither Backstrom or Jarnkrok likes to shoot the puck as much as Z does, but at the same time have somewhat underrated and underused shots. Carries the puck almost identical and does similar turns with the puck in the O-zone.

Giroux feels like a much flashier player to me. It's a little tricky to compare players playing on big ice to small ice though, it's easier to relate to players you've seen play on the big ice aswell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Anyone else wondering if Nyquist may get the call to play in the WC?
Good question. It's not impossible but I wouldn't count on it. We'll know a lot more about the Swedish team once this first playoff round is over.

Old
04-20-2012, 03:21 AM
Zorin

Send a message via ICQ to Zorin
As for Pulkkinen: Would Ray Sheppard be a good comparison? I mean, he was not a great skater at all but had a nose for finding open spots, had a good shot and simply put the puck in the net. That is the same sentiment I get from the reports on Pulk...

Anyway I think the wings' farm looks as good as it has in about 20 years. Since the Lidströms, Fedorovs, Kozlovs and so on graduated there have been very few times with many guys looking like futer NHLers - let alone future potential stars like a Smith, Nyquist, Jarnkrök, Jurco do. We have a lot of guys who have their little weaknesses but could turn out to be homeruns like Mrazek, Marchenko, Pulkkinen, Sproul, Tvrdon, Jensen or Backman. And then there is a truckload of rock solid bottom half players - most with the potential to even become some sort of offensive guys down the road like Sheahan, Tatar, Ferraro, Ouellet, Andersson or Aubry and then some potential role players like Callahan or Nedomlel. And even Almquist and Marshall should not be ruled out completely despite obvious shortcomings size-wise. But they have pretty obvious skill and proved themselves on pretty good levels already.

Next few years will be interesting and I think the wings will be able to fill a lot of voids from within in the comig seasons!

Old
04-20-2012, 03:46 AM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Next stop should be the Czech Hockey Games April 26th for games against Finland, Russia and Czech Republic. I'm personally rooting for a Silfverberg-Jarnkrok-Landeskog line.

A faster but smaller right handed version of Backstrom would be the closest I can come up with. Neither Backstrom or Jarnkrok likes to shoot the puck as much as Z does, but at the same time have somewhat underrated and underused shots. Carries the puck almost identical and does similar turns with the puck in the O-zone.

Giroux feels like a much flashier player to me. It's a little tricky to compare players playing on big ice to small ice though, it's easier to relate to players you've seen play on the big ice aswell.
Good stuff. Good stuff.

I hope Jarnkrok gets an A on his jersey next year.

This also was a fun read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstroms pads View Post
Järnkrok i more of a play maker and has a weaker and more inacurate shot than Silfverberg. Although that might not tell you much because Silfverbergs shot is really on another planet. Silfverberg is good at reading the play, but is not really near Järnkroks level. Järnkrok posseses that mysterious thing called "hockey sense" and has loads of it to boot. Brynäs has the best power pay in the league and much of that runs through Järnkrok.

When Järnkrok is really on his game, some nights, he looks like the puppet master and the other team just has to dance at his will. That is imo what sets him apart from Silfverberg the most and wich leads me to believe his upside is higher. Their skating is on par although Järnkrok has better latteral movement and is better at sliping through holes in the other teams defense. He is however, weaker defensively than Silfverberg, and much of that can be attributed to his rather modest frame. He gets pushed arround a lot in the defensive zone but when he gets hold of the puck it often leads to a chance the other way. Silfverberg also posseses that game changing ability that Järnkrok does not, at least not to the same extent. Silfverberg also has very good leadership qualities that Järnkrok seems to lack.

Both are prone to dissapear at times in games but often recover well and are able to give Brynäs the W.

Hope that helps.
Goood, goood... Something something dark side...

Old
04-20-2012, 11:38 PM
WesNichols14

Jurco no points in tonight's 4-1 win.
Petr Mrazek stopped 49/51 (96.07%) shots in tonight's 2-1 overtime loss and had a 1.843 GAA

Old
04-20-2012, 11:56 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Lol.

How sure you're about that? Team didn't maybe tell to public that he had injuries or Pulkkinen didn't tell to the team that he had injuries but it's still possible that he had some injuries during the season that hampered his performance or something small during the offseason that hindered his training during the summer.

I didn't watch him play too much so I'm just guessing here.
Can't edit for the moment...

There was no mention or hints of any injury by the "insiders" at Jatkoaika until the end of the regular season. The only thing that was mentioned was that Pulkkinen gained more muscle than expected which meant that he probably wasn't quite as agile as normally and might explain why he seemed so spent towards the end of the games (though that was more due to the fatigue of the long season + WJC and no rest after it). They know the "problem" and will adjust his weight training this off-season.

Old
04-21-2012, 06:52 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Can't edit for the moment...
It's ok, none taken . Funny nonetheless

Quote:
There was no mention or hints of any injury by the "insiders" at Jatkoaika until the end of the regular season. The only thing that was mentioned was that Pulkkinen gained more muscle than expected which meant that he probably wasn't quite as agile as normally and might explain why he seemed so spent towards the end of the games (though that was more due to the fatigue of the long season + WJC and no rest after it). They know the "problem" and will adjust his weight training this off-season.
Ok, got it. How much do those guys know generally?

Should probably read that forum more.

And hopefully that was the problem with Pulkkinen and he bounces back next season. I like that kid.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
It's ok, none taken . Funny nonetheless

Ok, got it. How much do those guys know generally?

Should probably read that forum more.

And hopefully that was the problem with Pulkkinen and he bounces back next season. I like that kid.
It's fixed now.

I's no news that the mains stream sports media is envious/bitter of how much inside information is spread at Jatkoaika.com. The tabloids even spread transfer rumors that are lifted straight from the forums. Username C.Orr has been saying stuff that indicates he's got inside information of Jokerit training or at least Pulkkinen's training.

Old
04-21-2012, 05:28 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
It's fixed now.

I's no news that the mains stream sports media is envious/bitter of how much inside information is spread at Jatkoaika.com. The tabloids even spread transfer rumors that are lifted straight from the forums. Username C.Orr has been saying stuff that indicates he's got inside information of Jokerit training or at least Pulkkinen's training.
Ok, thanks for the info, appreciate it. Should probably spend some more time there. Too bad I don't have it

Old
04-21-2012, 07:10 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Guys just digging around RWC looking at their old ratings and I saw this article about Franzen from the 05-06 season.

"Franzen is extremely strong and mobile, and his No. 1 priority is in the defensive zone. The 6-foot-2, 207-pound center plays a conservative game and — although not a bruiser — isn’t shy about getting involved physically. When he does get involved in the offensive attack, he’s a capable playmaker and scorer. Mature and very close to stepping into the NHL, Franzen has the physical tools and smarts to become a solid role player in the future."

Having been fairly young back I don't remember hearing much about Franzen's offensive potential. Was this a case of people getting the wrong read on him, or did the wings always know about his untapped potential?

Old
04-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Guys just digging around RWC looking at their old ratings and I saw this article about Franzen from the 05-06 season.

"Franzen is extremely strong and mobile, and his No. 1 priority is in the defensive zone. The 6-foot-2, 207-pound center plays a conservative game and — although not a bruiser — isn’t shy about getting involved physically. When he does get involved in the offensive attack, he’s a capable playmaker and scorer. Mature and very close to stepping into the NHL, Franzen has the physical tools and smarts to become a solid role player in the future."

Having been fairly young back I don't remember hearing much about Franzen's offensive potential. Was this a case of people getting the wrong read on him, or did the wings always know about his untapped potential?
He was viewed very much in the same light as Riley Sheahan is right now: big boy, very good in his own zone, good size that allows him to more than hold his own, etc. They both demonstrated good offensive touch early on but that part of their game took a back seat to the defensive roles they were put into prior to coming to the DRW organization. I think Sheahan is actually better at the physical game and is a better defensive forward. Time will tell if he develops an offensive game that can be realistically compared to Mule.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:40 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

Tatar is going to the worlds according to his Twitter.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:59 AM
nik jr

mrazek: 44-48, 2nd star in 7-4 win over niagara

ottawa are tied with niagara, 1-1. winner most likely will play london.

jurco: injured

st john sea dogs are still undefeated in playoffs.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post

jurco: injured

st john sea dogs are still undefeated in playoffs.

Serious or not?

Old
04-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post

That is a serious ECF, I wish I hadn't cancelled my CI & OHL action pack so soon. Mrazek going head to head with Visentin.....all the offensive talent on both teams....190' ice surface in Niagara.....Fridays game on sportsnet was amazing.

Old
04-23-2012, 02:30 PM
ZetterBurger

So I was just reading up on the WHC and saw that Zetterberg, Ericsson, Jarnkrok and Nyquist will all be playing. That's pretty awesome hopefully Jarnkrok and Nyquist spark some chemistry, eh?

Old
04-23-2012, 02:32 PM
ZetterBurger

Quote:

Is that really a bad scouting report on him?

Old
04-23-2012, 03:28 PM
joe89

Quote:

That's not so strange. He was what, 25, 26 yo when joining the wings and wasn't even a big scorer in the SEL. To think that he's had this good offensive output and won a cup being a main contributor is remarkable.

Franzen had major confidence issues early in his career aswell that held him back. He's said that he didn't want to score because he didn't want to draw attention.. that's wacky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetterBurger View Post
So I was just reading up on the WHC and saw that Zetterberg, Ericsson, Jarnkrok and Nyquist will all be playing. That's pretty awesome hopefully Jarnkrok and Nyquist spark some chemistry, eh?
Nyquist isn't on the team, at least not yet. And Jarnkrok is on the pre-tournament team, final roster won't be completed for another week. Franzen will play, too.

Old
04-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Sproul one of the top 3 D-men in the OHL.

Quote:
3) Ryan Sproul, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
NHL Rights: Detroit Red Wings
Drafted: 2nd round, 55th overall, 2011

Sproul takes up a lot of room on the Soo blue line, but has plenty of time - and space - to grow. At 6'4, Sproul uses his reach effectively and combines that with a hard, accurate shot from the point. At 185 pounds, he has plenty of room on his frame to grow.

The Mississauga, ON native showed flashes of his potential in his breakout 2010-11 campaign, where he finished the season with 14 goals and 33 points in 61 games. However, his minus-15 rating reflected his transition to the OHL - and the challenges that the Greyhounds faced last year.

This season, buoyed by the arrival of Jack Campbell (DAL) in a mid-season trade, Sproul showed the refinement of his game. He improved all of his offensive numbers, finishing the year with 23 goals and 31 assists, but the greatest improvement came in his own end, where he completely turned around his plus-minus totals to finish plus-16.

Sproul combines solid skating with good positioning. Although some questions remain about his defensive abilities, he did manage to answer many of his critics with a solid season.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...hl_defensemen/

Old
04-23-2012, 05:30 PM
WesNichols14

Ouellet was also chosen as 3rd best D-man in the QMJHL
Quote:
3. Xavier Ouellet, Blainville-Boisbriand Armada
NHL Rights: Detroit Red Wings
Drafted 48th overall (2nd round) in 2011

The change from one season to another has been quite an adjustment for Xavier Ouellet. Not only did his team, formerly the Montreal Junior, move to become the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada, but the team itself said goodbye to a large amount of veteran talent. By necessity, Ouellet was handed the top defensive duties and has responded in admirable fashion.

Despite icing a much younger and very different line-up, the Armada are leading their division and Ouellet's impact, both on the blue line and as team captain, has a lot to do with that success. He's blown past previous career totals to currently have 49 points in 54 games, placing him third among QMJHL defensemen. His 17 goals are the second most by a blueliner in the league and seven of those goals have come on the man advantage.

Ouellet is contributing in all situations for the Armada and sees plenty of ice time every game which is good news for his development as a prospect. Still only 18, he's already one of the QMJHL's top defensemen and should be heavily considered for a role with Team Canada at the World Juniors next winter.

Old
04-23-2012, 08:29 PM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

vCash: 518
Its just becoming more and more apparent that the Wings made out like Bandits in the last two drafts. I'm really pulling for Marchenko and Nedomlel to develop into a Crusher defensive pairing - something the Wings have been sorely lacking for far too long.

As for Mrazek... I can't help but feel that he has league leading potential, the kind that could make the rest of the league feel stupid one day. Because he's Czech, I really want to compare him to Hasek but his playing style seems to be his own, purely based around his athleticism. If he can fine tune that, it won't matter if he doesn't cover 95 percent of the net like Niemi or Luongo, he will just be frustrating to play against.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:44 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesnichols14 View Post
Ouellet was also chosen as 3rd best D-man in the QMJHL

Its funny, HF has the highly rated guys ahead even thought they didnt have a good season. Ouellet had a better season than Gormley and Bealieu, the coaches voted him the second best d man in the Q behind Leduc.

Bealieu has the shiny first round name sake though so of course he gets ranked higher

Old
04-23-2012, 10:20 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Its funny, HF has the highly rated guys ahead even thought they didnt have a good season. Ouellet had a better season than Gormley and Bealieu, the coaches voted him the second best d man in the Q behind Leduc.

Bealieu has the shiny first round name sake though so of course he gets ranked higher
Just the way it works. It's definitely not a bad thing though as it keeps fans of other teams wondering how we keep on getting all of these steals.

On that note as much flak as our FO gets for not making trades/big signings they have done a great job of stock piling picks/great prospects over the past 2 or 3 years & it really shows. I think we have a top 10 pool with some high end potential guys, and if only 1/4 of our guys even make the NHL we should still have a pretty good lineup. I mean picking up guys like Jurco, Oullet, Sproul, Tvrdon, Backman & Marchenko in 11, then in 2010 we get Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Pulkinnen & Mrazek. It really goes to show how important draft picks really are in the new NHL.

Closed Thread