HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Playoffs, Part Two.

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

vCash: 500
Torres is a dirtbag, so him getting 25 games doesn't really bother me.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:40 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Shanahan is a joke.
Elaborate?

Old
04-21-2012, 11:46 AM
MLH

Easily the most asinine decision in the history of NHL supplemental discipline. Shanahan is in so far over his head.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:49 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Okay, considering no one wants to elaborate.

Given Torres' past history, the similarities to this and past hits, I think the 25 games is correct.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

He's had similar hits in the past, he's been suspended a ton of times before and he has a reputation for being a dirty player. Booting him for 25 games makes sense given his little 1-5 games stints obviously didn't have any effect on his game. If he hadn't been suspended x number of times before this, then yeah, 25 games would be massive overkill for the hit itself.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:01 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProngersEyeball View Post
Elaborate?
Neal has had prior history with bad hits. His hit on Couterier was WAY worse than Torres' hit then 30 seconds later he targets Giroux's head and leaves his feet again!

Old
04-21-2012, 12:07 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Neal has had prior history with bad hits. His hit on Couterier was WAY worse than Torres' hit then 30 seconds later he targets Giroux's head and leaves his feet again!
Two calls from player safety and a check from behind 3 seasons ago. I see what you did there.

You cannot compare Neal to Torres. Maybe Myers to Neal. Myers got a call early in the season, then was suspended 3 games after another incident. I'll agree with you on Neal getting more games (maybe 3), but not comparing Neal to Torres. Two completely different issues and player histories.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:19 PM
MLH

Quote:
Two calls from player safety and a check from behind 3 seasons ago. I see what you did there.

You cannot compare Neal to Torres. Maybe Myers to Neal. Myers got a call early in the season, then was suspended 3 games after another incident. I'll agree with you on Neal getting more games (maybe 3), but not comparing Neal to Torres. Two completely different issues and player histories.
Neal's hit was later, Neal was way higher in the air when making contact. Torres has a worse past record, but his hit crossed the line making a hockey play while Neal was obviously headhunting in a game that was over (he got two hearings in one shift for Christs sake). A 24.5 game difference is literally indefensible. Then again Torres has never scored 40 goals.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Havok89

Neal's hit was dirtier than Torres, and his headhunting on Giroux 40 seconds later was disguisting.

I understand Torres has a bad reputation but the difference between hits wasn't 24 games.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:30 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

25 games is way too much unless Shanny is ready to crack down on other hits. But when Neal only gets 1, Carkner only gets 1, etc...prior history is not worth 24 games.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:31 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
Neal's hit was later, Neal was way higher in the air when making contact. Torres has a worse past record, but his hit crossed the line making a hockey play while Neal was obviously headhunting in a game that was over (he got two hearings in one shift for Christs sake). A 24.5 game difference is literally indefensible. Then again Torres has never scored 40 goals.
Are you saying that the Neal suspension was too short or the Torres suspension is too long, or both?

I'll agree with you on Neal and his suspension was too short (see above), but this Torres suspension seems about right.

And what team would go out and say, "Sign Torres, I like what he does." He has one more year left on this contract. I bet he's buried in the AHL and doesn't see NHL ice again.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:33 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
25 games is way too much unless Shanny is ready to crack down on other hits. But when Neal only gets 1, Carkner only gets 1, etc...prior history is not worth 24 games.
Are you sure about that? A potential career ending hit, on 5 different players, 2 in the past 4 months. Telling a player to sit out the rest of the playoffs isn't worth it?

EDIT: The number 25 is just that, the rest of the playoffs. At the time of suspension, it would be 25 games if the Coyotes make it to the 7th game in the SCF, with seven games in each series prior.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:36 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Are you sure about that? A potential career ending hit, on 5 different players, 2 in the past 4 months. Telling a player to sit out the rest of the playoffs isn't worth it?
Not if Weber, Neal, etc. are going to get away with their hits. There has to be some degree of fairness.

I'm not saying Torres should only get 1 or 2 games, but 25 is egregious given the standards Shanny has set. 7-10 games would be sufficient.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:
he's not... that's the thing.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:39 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Yes it is.

Torres has a history of hits to the head and has received supplemental discipline five times over the past five seasons, including twice this season alone.
He's also had multiple borderline hits, including the hit on Seabrook last playoffs.
He obviously has not learned that he's in violation of the rules and is a predatory player.
This hit was nearly a second late (.8, anything > .5 is considered to be late), he leaves his feet, there's contact with the head, and he intends to injure Hossa, as he is aware of the fact that he isn't making a play on the puck.

Giving him the maximum amount of games that the Coyotes could play in the playoffs is just fine with me.
He deserves to be out of the league, IMO.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:39 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Not if Weber, Neal, etc. are going to get away with their hits. There has to be some degree of fairness.

I'm not saying Torres should only get 1 or 2 games, but 25 is egregious given the standards Shanny has set. 7-10 games would be sufficient.
And if the Coyotes make it through this round and Torres unleashed another hit in the next round?

Just imagine if he saved it for the SCF on national TV. Ugh.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:43 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
And if the Coyotes make it through this round and Torres unleashed another hit in the next round?

Just imagine if he saved it for the SCF on national TV. Ugh.
It's just the superstar treatment again. Hossa is a superstar. Couterier isn't yet. Not to mention, will Malkin even get a hearing for his blindside interference hit to Couterier last night? Nope. He's Malkin.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:50 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
It's just the superstar treatment again. Hossa is a superstar. Couterier isn't yet. Not to mention, will Malkin even get a hearing for his blindside interference hit to Couterier last night? Nope. He's Malkin.
I didn't say anything about the victims or suspects name. This suspension is the NHL trying to bottle the violence of this postseason AND telling Torres to knock it off. Which, I think, he doesn't play in the NHL again after this one.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:51 PM
omglolnub

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
he's not... that's the thing.
Quote:
I agree with this train of thought. The inconsistency sucks.

Going by the axiom that playoff games are worth 2 regular season games, this suspension is overkill. 50 regular season games? Overkill. I won't deny that it was a dirty hit from a dirty player. I would have given him 8-12 games. Makes it a 16-24 game regular season suspension, which is what would have been appropriate, in my opinion.

For consistency sake, the intent should be suspended, not the result. If Hossa didn't get injured and kept playing, how many games would Torres get? 2-3 games? Half the Pens roster should have gotten more than their slaps on the wrist for the malicious intent they had going on. That's what needs to go.

I guess Brendan Shanahan is going into message sending mode. Oooookay.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:57 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Was Malkin not given a roughing penalty for that play?
Why does that require any supplemental discipline?

Old
04-21-2012, 01:02 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Right call amongst so many other bad calls.

Old
04-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Correct. 25 games for Torres makes sense. If you want to say the other handouts for Neal, Weber, etc. were bad, that's fine, and true.

Old
04-21-2012, 01:08 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
This is pretty much my thinking.

Old
04-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

25 games is absurd...even with his history. Unfortunately, Torres was made an example of since Shanny lacks the testicles to make an example of any one with star value.

Shanny: "Let's fine Weber the equivalent of a parking ticket for someone that rich and throw the book at Torres. That'll even out, right?"

Colin: "That's how I did it, kid. Keep up the good work!"

(And since you might ask, I'd have given Weber 2 and Torres 15.)

Old
04-21-2012, 01:15 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

How many suspensions has Shanahan given? 30 or so?

Out of all the suspensions, (length) I think he's been right on about 25% of the time. The Torrres length is perfect. BUT, now it is a critical time for Shanahan. Now he needs to back up this ruling with another hard-line suspension for the next head-shot.

But I won't hold my breath....

Inconsistency from him will not solve the head-shot issue.

Closed Thread