Old
04-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Dowd from D.Phillips and Shields
Seems to be a consistent performer. Let's hope we can keep it like this at least.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:10 AM
BPilgrim

vCash: 500
Quote:

What do you know about Janos Hari? 19 years old plays for Modo and played in the Q last season.
Really good player at swedish SuperElit level. He's a goalscorer with good hands and dekes. Also likes to play on the edge, provoking opponents and getting under their skin.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Scarecrow Boat

That 2nd goal by GB was the result of a dandy cycle. Love seeing goals like that.

Stephen Murphy's playing style scares the hell out of me. If he didn't have so much success at the international level I'd probably never want to watch him again lol

Old
04-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by villevalo View Post
Unfortunately it is a cultural thing. Winter sports in the UK have verry little interest in the gen pop, ice hockey even less then that.

When most local councils are struggaling to keep schools and hospitals afloat, the last thing they are going to invest in is an ice rink.

When it comes down to it, hockey in your country will always prioritise certain things, ice hockey is such a bread a butter part of Canadian culture it will live quite possibly forever.

Over here we are competeing with so many other sports, yes local communities can do great things, but they are much more likely to group together to build a cricket green, or a football/rugby field...etc etc etc.

I'd wager over any given weekend, there could be what...20/30/40 thousand people going out regularly to watch some form of hockey. And thats in a country of nearly 60 million. The Maple Leafs will beat that alone in one game, and thats not even counting all the other hockey in Canada and your population is about 38 million. Its not very accurate facts but that shows you the difference we face.

Ultimately ice hockey will probably always be an underground sport in the UK, where as in Canada it is 'the' sport.

Like I said before it will only take some buisness men like Nike etc to go out there and build facilities and promote the sport, but they'd have to do it out of their own pocket with no hope of any return.

There are more systemic problems in the sport over here that need to be sorted before any more plans for new rinks are done. Lets walk properly all together rather then have some sprinting and some crawling.

One all encompasing UK governing body.

Without that, hockey over here cannot grow.
You see there's another difference.
In New Brunswick Education and Health were taken away from municipal councils years ago. We have District Health and Education Boards administered by the Province. Ambulance service also was taken away and given to Ambulance NB.
Just in the last session of the Legislative Assembly recreation was taken away from local councils and given to District Recreation Planning Commissions.It remains to be seen how that works out.
Local councils are left now with roads, sewerage issues. In Greater Moncton we even gave up local policing in favour of RCMP.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Scarecrow Boat

stream down for just me or what?

Old
04-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved

Stream is down for me also

Old
04-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Alpine

3-2 Hungary by IIHF Live scoring..........
Stream dead.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved

3-3

Fussey from Shields and Meyers

Old
04-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Alpine

3-3 now Fussey from Shields and Myers.
Anybody find a stream.........I haven't

Old
04-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I had that Hungarian stream but it lagged like hell. You can't blame the players for their effort.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Alpine

Stream back up in slide show effect.
4-3 Hungary

Old
04-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved

In other news, Ben O'Connor has re-signed with Sary-Arka Karaganda.

http://hc-saryarka.kz/index.php?mod=index&newsid=1362

Quote:
contracts have been extended with the following players: Simon Kokuev, Dmitry Gromov, Maxim Orlov, Ilgiz Nureyev, Ben O'Connor, Andrew Batrutdinov, Alexander Stankovsky Maxim Gryaznov. According to the coaching staff, these players will match the level of VHL
So it sounds like they want to play in the VHL next year? That would be good for O'Connor.

Old
04-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Tie game
4-4
Nice.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Man, this is a big game. Huge period coming on.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Alpine

Anyways gotta get,
Thanks for sharing your team to a foreigner for awhile.
Next up Olympic Qualifiers starting in Nov.
See y'all in Sept when the next season starts,
Sorry for my bad English but me mom made us go to French schools even though mon pere was from NI

Last edited by Alpine: 04-21-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old
04-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Robert Dowd is my hero but I'm unsure if they made the right call on that penalty shot. I'm not 100% up to date with international rules but here if your in the crease and the puck comes to you and you put your hand on it, it isn't a penalty shot. It's only if you go in the crease after it to cover it. Like I said though, I don't know international rules, I just know I love the international sign for penalty shot haha

Old
04-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Big win!
Division I Group A for yet another year!

Old
04-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
Robert Dowd is my hero but I'm unsure if they made the right call on that penalty shot. I'm not 100% up to date with international rules but here if your in the crease and the puck comes to you and you put your hand on it, it isn't a penalty shot. It's only if you go in the crease after it to cover it. Like I said though, I don't know international rules, I just know I love the international sign for penalty shot haha
557 - Falling on the puck by a player

b) If a defending player, other than the goalkeeper, deliberately falls on, holds or gathers the puck into his body when the puck is in the goal crease of his team, the Referee shall award to the non offending team a:
Penalty shot

That's quoted from my 2006-2010 edition of the IIHF rulebook, my new one is in my bag and I can't be bothered to go get it but I don't think they changed it.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
557 - Falling on the puck by a player

b) If a defending player, other than the goalkeeper, deliberately falls on, holds or gathers the puck into his body when the puck is in the goal crease of his team, the Referee shall award to the non offending team a:
Penalty shot

That's quoted from my 2006-2010 edition of the IIHF rulebook, my new one is in my bag and I can't be bothered to go get it but I don't think they changed it.
That's how I always knew the rule as well but I remember in a referee clinic a couple years back the rule was altered. Probably just in my area knowing our ridiculous rule books

I love seeing this:

On an unrelated note, has Great Britain ever hosted one of these tournaments/ is there even a possibility of them hosting this tournament? I've never seen one of these games near capacity so I don't think that'd be a reason not to host it.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved

Quote:
That's how I always knew the rule as well but I remember in a referee clinic a couple years back the rule was altered. Probably just in my area knowing our ridiculous rule books

I love seeing this:

On an unrelated note, has Great Britain ever hosted one of these tournaments/ is there even a possibility of them hosting this tournament? I've never seen one of these games near capacity so I don't think that'd be a reason not to host it.
We hosted the Women's WC's this year.

I believe we will have the right to host our Olympic pre-qualifier group in November, the teams ranked 19th, 20th and 21st are the first seeds in each of the three groups and get the first choice whether to host or not, if they decline the 2nd seed then gets the choice etc. I don't think Japan overtake us in the world rankings after this tournament so we keep our 21st spot.

I only watched the Slovenia game against us and it looked like the arena was full. I went to a GB v Netherlands exhibition game last year at the NIC and there was at least 3,000 there.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
We hosted the Women's WC's this year.

I believe we will have the right to host our Olympic pre-qualifier group in November, the teams ranked 19th, 20th and 21st are the first seeds in each of the three groups and get the first choice whether to host or not, if they decline the 2nd seed then gets the choice etc. I don't think Japan overtake us in the world rankings after this tournament so we keep our 21st spot.

I only watched the Slovenia game against us and it looked like the arena was full. I went to a GB v Netherlands exhibition game last year at the NIC and there was at least 3,000 there.
All these international tournaments always have decent attendance for the host team but then every other game is empty, even in Canada lol

Old
04-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved

Quote:
All these international tournaments always have decent attendance for the host team but then every other game is empty, even in Canada lol
Yeah, I doubt I would go to a game, it would have to be in Nottingham for me to even consider it, the only other arenas are Sheffield, Belfast, and Braehead. Those are all too far away for me.

Old
04-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Yeah, I doubt I would go to a game, it would have to be in Nottingham for me to even consider it, the only other arenas are Sheffield, Belfast, and Braehead. Those are all too far away for me.
Hosting can only help the popularity of the sport IMO. It's not going to make the sport super popular but there's absolutely no way it can hurt.

Old
04-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved

Quote:
Hosting can only help the popularity of the sport IMO. It's not going to make the sport super popular but there's absolutely no way it can hurt.
That's only if they use the correct promotion though, which I doubt they will

Old
04-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
That's only if they use the correct promotion though, which I doubt they will
Become a marketing major and go work for them

Closed Thread