HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jason Garrison

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2012, 09:38 AM
  #26
PanthersHockey1
Bond.
 
PanthersHockey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UF & Boca Raton
Country: United States
Posts: 5,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I could see the Oilers offering a pretty front loaded contract ala

7.5/7/4.5/3/2.5 = 4.9 cap hit.

To scare off other suitors.

I dunno know though ... is this guy the real deal? How good is he defensively? Is he physical?
he would easily become the best all around defensemen on the oilers. But as i said earlier i would be very surprised if garrison is walking come july 1. Either panthers re-sign or a trade at draft day.

One thing we know about tallon is that he is not afraid to throw out big contracts. Would not be surprised if he pays garrison what he wants.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 09:38 AM
  #27
TSA0402
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,222
vCash: 500
Paul Martin got 5 million.

He is a solid d-man who scored 16 goals and has a PP rocket. I'm thinking closer to a Wizniewski type contract than 4 million.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 05:59 PM
  #28
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Suter is a proven top 5 NHL defenseman. Garrison is a top pairing defenseman for Florida, he doesn't have a great pedigree, and up to this point he's only really had 1 good season.

I'm guessing you're one of those folks who buys no name brand Ketchup at the grocery store?
Suter is more proven offensively for sure. Garrison's one of the best defensive defensemen in the NHL and has proven himself for two seasons. While Garrison's offense isn't as established, the offensive skill he has is a unique weapon (howitzer shot, knack for joining a rush to unload it) that provides more variety in an attack that an opposing team has to gameplan. The value of a player should not hinge on whether many fans watch a particular team play. You know that, right? Nobody's saying Suter won't get more money. It just boils down to whether you're confident his defense is no fluke. I am, because he's been VERY strong for two seasons, not just one. He's a better defensive defenseman than Barrett Jackman, for example, and Jackman would get 4M on the open market. And he has significantly more offensive capability than Jackman. Add in the UFA inflation factor and 5M is what someone's very likely to give him given how many teams won't get Suter who'll want him. So to answer your question I go to the ketchup aisle and look at the options while having in the back of my mind a solid awareness of what Jason Garrison's likely to get in UFA.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:40 PM
  #29
ShootIt
Registered User
 
ShootIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 561
Country: United States
Posts: 6,326
vCash: 500
Anyone who has watched Garrison play knows he is the real deal defensively.

However, most of his goals came with playing with Campbell, which caused him to have a nice shooting lane, and with his accurate hard shot he can get it to the back of the net in no time.

He isn't the greatest as a PMD and his passing is average.

His main Pros are his shot, which he has been working on a lot the past two years and his very good defensive play.

Easily worth 4.5 million as an UFA.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:47 PM
  #30
MISC*
Negged.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,691
vCash: 500
Bouwmeester V2.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 07:56 PM
  #31
AtomicSmashbomb*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Bouwmeester V2.
Not even close. He's played in a playoff game after all!

AtomicSmashbomb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 08:00 PM
  #32
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!
 
bluemandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Anyone who has watched Garrison play knows he is the real deal defensively.

However, most of his goals came with playing with Campbell, which caused him to have a nice shooting lane, and with his accurate hard shot he can get it to the back of the net in no time.

He isn't the greatest as a PMD and his passing is average.

His main Pros are his shot, which he has been working on a lot the past two years and his very good defensive play.

Easily worth 4.5 million as an UFA.
I haven't gotten to see much of him, how is his mobility and physicality? Would you say he is the stay at home guy in his pairings? Does he need a PMD to set him up, or can he create his own shot?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 08:13 PM
  #33
ShootIt
Registered User
 
ShootIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 561
Country: United States
Posts: 6,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
I haven't gotten to see much of him, how is his mobility and physicality? Would you say he is the stay at home guy in his pairings? Does he need a PMD to set him up, or can he create his own shot?
Mobility is good enough for a top 4 defenseman. Never is really out of position, so hard to say how fast he can skate lol.

He is a good way defenseman, can pinch if needed.

I would say for him to repeat his goal totals of this year, it would be a plus to have a PMD with him because IMO he can't create his own shot. He needs some space to get his slapshot off.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 08:21 PM
  #34
CaptPantalones
Registered User
 
CaptPantalones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,291
vCash: 500
Garrison will be the "Brian Campbell" of this years FA class. Will get way more then anyone ever thought hed be worth

CaptPantalones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 08:25 PM
  #35
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Garrison has Dallas Stars written all over him. Joe Nieuwendyk was a member of the Panthers organization when the Panthers signed Garrison. Nieuwendyk scouted him and recommended the Panthers sign him. The Stars have a need for another top 4 D. The new owner has the bucks to spend. They probably won't get Ryan Suter. Garrison can help the Stars anemic power play.
I agree. Don't bring Souray back and use that money as part of the deal.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 10:26 PM
  #36
PanthersHockey1
Bond.
 
PanthersHockey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UF & Boca Raton
Country: United States
Posts: 5,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Bouwmeester V2.
lol no. Garrison actually cares.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:15 PM
  #37
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!
 
bluemandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Garrison will be the "Brian Campbell" of this years FA class. Will get way more then anyone ever thought hed be worth
Its starting to seem that way. I'd be interested in getting him to pair with Pietrangelo, I'm just worried about overspending to do so and having his salary throw the whole structure into whack.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:38 PM
  #38
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,095
vCash: 500
lol it's pretty bad this is like a revelation.. Who the hell is this guy? I just watched some of his goals on NHL.com. I hope the Avs know who he is..

EJ for some reason moves and caries the puck more than he likes to shoot it. Garrison looks like he would be great next E. Johnson or one of our other young puck movers.

You have to love how most of his goals came off of one-timers and seem to be pretty accurate regardless of coming off of a wrister or a slapshot.

Damn.. He is looking a lot more enticing at 4-5M than Carle is..

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 11:47 PM
  #39
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Anyone who has watched Garrison play knows he is the real deal defensively.

However, most of his goals came with playing with Campbell, which caused him to have a nice shooting lane, and with his accurate hard shot he can get it to the back of the net in no time.

He isn't the greatest as a PMD and his passing is average.

His main Pros are his shot, which he has been working on a lot the past two years and his very good defensive play.

Easily worth 4.5 million as an UFA.
This is what I see. Florida would be wise to keep him if they can. But if he leaves, a PMD like Pietrangelo would be a great partner. They could spend a lot of time on the ice. It's also not like defenses are overplaying Campbell and Garrison is burning them on his goals. Most of his goals come on the power play where there's already a fair amount of space.

The reason I can see him getting 5M is the bump from UFA.

Garrison-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak
Cole

Would be a nightmare for the West. Fellow Blues fans are leery because he's not really a well-known quantity to most, but that D would be insane. Financially, even at 5M it's workable. The only guy going over that amount in the near future is Pietrangelo. A lot of our fans worry about salaries rising but they're going to take in plenty of playoff revenue for awhile and ticket prices are going up. And none of the forwards are going to be making more than Backes any time soon. They'll be able to afford to keep everybody they want to keep.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 01:35 AM
  #40
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!
 
bluemandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
This is what I see. Florida would be wise to keep him if they can. But if he leaves, a PMD like Pietrangelo would be a great partner. They could spend a lot of time on the ice. It's also not like defenses are overplaying Campbell and Garrison is burning them on his goals. Most of his goals come on the power play where there's already a fair amount of space.

The reason I can see him getting 5M is the bump from UFA.

Garrison-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak
Cole

Would be a nightmare for the West. Fellow Blues fans are leery because he's not really a well-known quantity to most, but that D would be insane. Financially, even at 5M it's workable. The only guy going over that amount in the near future is Pietrangelo. A lot of our fans worry about salaries rising but they're going to take in plenty of playoff revenue for awhile and ticket prices are going up. And none of the forwards are going to be making more than Backes any time soon. They'll be able to afford to keep everybody they want to keep.
Your right. I am leery. I'd assume three or four years. Even if the Blues can convince Shattenkirk to take less than that, no way does Pietrangelo take less. I'd guess ~$15 million for the three of them, maybe more. Another ~$7 million on Polak, Jackman, and Russell equals ~$22 million on the backend. Its doable, but is it sustainable? Will Shattenkirk really take ~$4 million and Pietrangelo ~$6? What if he is Paul Martin v2? I don't remember hearing his name as a possible Pietrangelo partner before this season, and I worry about the Blues being able to make a mistake with a signing of this magnitude. There seem to be several fanbases willing to offer Mr. Garrison in the neighborhood of $4.5-5 million. Would the Blues go $5.5 million? Add the extra year to the term?

You seem very high on him PocketNines, and I respect your opinion. For some reason I'm just not sold yet. Do you think he is smart/whatever enough to excel under Hitchcock? I really don't know enough about the Panthers or Jason Garrison to know, but this couldn't turn out to be a Stewart situation, could it?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 02:50 AM
  #41
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Your right. I am leery. I'd assume three or four years. Even if the Blues can convince Shattenkirk to take less than that, no way does Pietrangelo take less. I'd guess ~$15 million for the three of them, maybe more. Another ~$7 million on Polak, Jackman, and Russell equals ~$22 million on the backend. Its doable, but is it sustainable? Will Shattenkirk really take ~$4 million and Pietrangelo ~$6? What if he is Paul Martin v2? I don't remember hearing his name as a possible Pietrangelo partner before this season, and I worry about the Blues being able to make a mistake with a signing of this magnitude. There seem to be several fanbases willing to offer Mr. Garrison in the neighborhood of $4.5-5 million. Would the Blues go $5.5 million? Add the extra year to the term?

You seem very high on him PocketNines, and I respect your opinion. For some reason I'm just not sold yet. Do you think he is smart/whatever enough to excel under Hitchcock? I really don't know enough about the Panthers or Jason Garrison to know, but this couldn't turn out to be a Stewart situation, could it?
Just let Jackman walk.. =)

Colorado would love him as a partner for EJ

In fact.. How much would EJ's old partner and mentor's rights cost us? I would start a thread on it but no one actually believes or knows how much or even that he MIGHT hit free-agency. Obviously we could use a veteran defender and it does not hurt that he played with EJ during his best seasons.


Last edited by CobraAcesS: 04-21-2012 at 03:01 AM.
CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 04:34 AM
  #42
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Your right. I am leery. I'd assume three or four years. Even if the Blues can convince Shattenkirk to take less than that, no way does Pietrangelo take less. I'd guess ~$15 million for the three of them, maybe more. Another ~$7 million on Polak, Jackman, and Russell equals ~$22 million on the backend. Its doable, but is it sustainable? Will Shattenkirk really take ~$4 million and Pietrangelo ~$6? What if he is Paul Martin v2? I don't remember hearing his name as a possible Pietrangelo partner before this season, and I worry about the Blues being able to make a mistake with a signing of this magnitude. There seem to be several fanbases willing to offer Mr. Garrison in the neighborhood of $4.5-5 million. Would the Blues go $5.5 million? Add the extra year to the term?

You seem very high on him PocketNines, and I respect your opinion. For some reason I'm just not sold yet. Do you think he is smart/whatever enough to excel under Hitchcock? I really don't know enough about the Panthers or Jason Garrison to know, but this couldn't turn out to be a Stewart situation, could it?
We can (and I'm sure we will after the season and after new ownership and we see how many playoff home games they get) talk about future Blues finances on the Blues board, but for this Garrison thread I'll just say I feel very good about the guy as just what we've all been talking about needing.

I feel very confident in the guy's defense. He's a classic late bloomer at 28. He's positionally extremely strong, so in Hitchcock's system I think he'd have zero problems. Take the goals and the offense away, set those aside for a moment. If he didn't have those things, let's say, his defense is good enough where 3.5-4.0M would be solid value, Barret Jackman or Willie Mitchell money, both strong defensive defensemen.

However, he does have an extremely potent shot. It's taken him awhile to develop it. It's a better shot than any defender on the Blues has right now. It's Weber-esque on the PP. That adds value, because it's very tough to defend, and it's very tough for goalies to stop when it's on net. It's a threat. You have to game plan for it if you're the other team, and the more different dangerous elements the Blues have against which opponents have to game plan, the better. It would change the way teams defend the Blues, knowing Garrison simply has the shot at his disposal, in a way they don't have to defend against Jackman, for example. That's why he'll ultimately get paid more than Mitchell or Jackman, and it's hard to disagree. He won't get anywhere near what Suter gets but he might be just the right fit for the Blues.

Now, you can believe that shot will disappear or stay. But even if it disappeared, you're left with the residue of a player who won't cost you games being out position, can log big minutes alongside Pietrangelo against any top line, play both PP and PK, and basically give you his prime years of 28-33. It's a UFA contract, not an RFA one. The Blues are going to have to go out and acquire that guy elsewhere, and that means trade or UFA. In the system the Blues play Garrison is even less likely to regress and show himself as a fluke. The talk has picked up more on him at the end of the season because at the beginning of the season he'd only had one great year defensively and he hadn't shown what an impressive shot he has. Well, now we sit here and look back on his body of work and I believe the guy's legit. He's not a PMD but we don't need him to be. We just need him to play with strong, strong structure, tons of minutes, and force opponents to spread out their defensive attention as much as possible when he's in the offensive zone. I really see him as a final piece type acquisition. Feels like the Blues have been building this machine for so long, and it's finally on the brink.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 04:48 AM
  #43
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Just let Jackman walk.. =)

Colorado would love him as a partner for EJ

In fact.. How much would EJ's old partner and mentor's rights cost us? I would start a thread on it but no one actually believes or knows how much or even that he MIGHT hit free-agency. Obviously we could use a veteran defender and it does not hurt that he played with EJ during his best seasons.
Jackman only leaves the Blues if he WANTS to leave the Blues. If he did want to, that would be so masochistic I wouldn't even know what to think. He toils for ten years suffering nothing but the low points, finally everything comes together and they have a great core ready to compete for awhile and he can be part of that playing a key role, and that's when he decides he wants out? Honestly if he wanted to leave it likely means he wants to go to the highest bidder which means acquiring his rights wouldn't be worth the price. I really think he'll sign a solid contract like the one he just finished though. The guy's a classic lifer.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 06:34 AM
  #44
SufferingCatFan
Registered User
 
SufferingCatFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: fort lauderdale
Country: United States
Posts: 1,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Mobility is good enough for a top 4 defenseman. Never is really out of position, so hard to say how fast he can skate lol.

He is a good way defenseman, can pinch if needed.

I would say for him to repeat his goal totals of this year, it would be a plus to have a PMD with him because IMO he can't create his own shot. He needs some space to get his slapshot off.
Pretty good assessment. Garrison is a strong positional defender with a strong work ethic, who has greatly benefitted from playing with Campbell. He is,no doubt, a top 4 d-man. But, whatever team gives him a long term $5 million contract will end up being disappointed.

Garrison is becoming an UFA at exactly the right time when the demand will be high and the supply low. As a Panther fan, I wish him well. He is a class act, who has paid his dues and earned his right to a big pay day.

PS There is a reason thatSamuelson has replaced Garrison on our No. 1 PP unit notwithstanding Garrison's booming shot.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 11:25 AM
  #45
PanthersHockey1
Bond.
 
PanthersHockey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UF & Boca Raton
Country: United States
Posts: 5,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
lol it's pretty bad this is like a revelation.. Who the hell is this guy? I just watched some of his goals on NHL.com. I hope the Avs know who he is..

EJ for some reason moves and caries the puck more than he likes to shoot it. Garrison looks like he would be great next E. Johnson or one of our other young puck movers.

You have to love how most of his goals came off of one-timers and seem to be pretty accurate regardless of coming off of a wrister or a slapshot.

Damn.. He is looking a lot more enticing at 4-5M than Carle is..
Oh wow look another person completely under-rating a player because he plays for the panthers. If he were on toronto or montreal he would be a god.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 02:42 PM
  #46
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 11,320
vCash: 1210
Someone will pay a lot for him. Even though I don't expect him to score 15+ goals again next year, he's an overall good defenseman; unlike Dennis Wideman, for example.

Colorado or Detroit might be good fits.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 02:45 PM
  #47
shadow1
Registered User
 
shadow1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 11,320
vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
This is what I see. Florida would be wise to keep him if they can. But if he leaves, a PMD like Pietrangelo would be a great partner. They could spend a lot of time on the ice. It's also not like defenses are overplaying Campbell and Garrison is burning them on his goals. Most of his goals come on the power play where there's already a fair amount of space.

The reason I can see him getting 5M is the bump from UFA.

Garrison-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak
Cole

Would be a nightmare for the West. Fellow Blues fans are leery because he's not really a well-known quantity to most, but that D would be insane. Financially, even at 5M it's workable. The only guy going over that amount in the near future is Pietrangelo. A lot of our fans worry about salaries rising but they're going to take in plenty of playoff revenue for awhile and ticket prices are going up. And none of the forwards are going to be making more than Backes any time soon. They'll be able to afford to keep everybody they want to keep.
With a long term commitment to Polak, and in the very near future Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo, I can't imagine the Blues paying top dollar for another defenseman considering their salary structure. Especially if they re-sign Jackman to a long term deal.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 02:31 PM
  #48
ncredible
Registered User
 
ncredible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fort McMurray
Country: Canada
Posts: 478
vCash: 500
How about

To Florida:
Ryan Whitney
Linus Omark

To Edmonton:
Jason Garrison

?

ncredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 02:42 PM
  #49
Oilfan2
Oil the way..
 
Oilfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,312
vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncredible View Post
How about

To Florida:
Ryan Whitney
Linus Omark

To Edmonton:
Jason Garrison

?
Isn't he an UFA?

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 02:48 PM
  #50
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,495
vCash: 50
Would love to see him in Colorado, he's ridiculously underrated because he plays in Florida.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.