HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — Slovakia

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2012, 12:18 PM
slovakiasnextone

vCash: 500
We get 2 NHL players and one gets injured the first week he´s with the team. Are you serious? I expect Sekera to get injured next week at Škoda Cup too now...

Old
04-20-2012, 02:34 PM
slovakiasnextone

Jurčina´s out for the season. Patrik Lušnák AND Ján Sýkora were sent home after today´s game. Yet the exceptionally talented tremendous playmaker, zillion goals goal scorer and the phenomenal backchecker Martin Cibák is still with the team
Miklík, Dravecký, Šatan, Haščák are the guys from Slovan and Košice who will be invited to join the team after KE-Slovan is over...no Libor Hudáček...

Overly, I´m disgusted, I can´t wait for yet another "young" Slovak team that will be the oldest in the whole tourney and to see our superhuman KHL stars and offensive aces to frustrate the hell out of me and every other single Slovak fan out there yet again.

The fact that we´re actually waiting for Tomáš Tatar to save us from our goal scoring agony sums the whole thing up greatly. (Note: Not that I don´t like Tatar or anything)

Old
04-20-2012, 03:19 PM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Jurčina´s out for the season. Patrik Lušnák AND Ján Sýkora were sent home after today´s game. Yet the exceptionally talented tremendous playmaker, zillion goals goal scorer and the phenomenal backchecker Martin Cibák is still with the team
Miklík, Dravecký, Šatan, Haščák are the guys from Slovan and Košice who will be invited to join the team after KE-Slovan is over...no Libor Hudáček...

Overly, I´m disgusted, I can´t wait for yet another "young" Slovak team that will be the oldest in the whole tourney and to see our superhuman KHL stars and offensive aces to frustrate the hell out of me and every other single Slovak fan out there yet again.

The fact that we´re actually waiting for Tomáš Tatar to save us from our goal scoring agony sums the whole thing up greatly. (Note: Not that I don´t like Tatar or anything)
did they mention who (if anybody) will be invited from Brno or Pardubice?

Old
04-20-2012, 03:42 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
did they mention who (if anybody) will be invited from Brno or Pardubice?
I guess only Hruška, he´s been mentioned before....

Don´t see anyone there who could be an upgrade over what we currently have (as poor as it is)....well except Bartek, but he says that "NT is a finished chapter for him", because he´s been overlooked for years....AFAIK the primary reason why he´s been overlooked is his attitude ...
Case in point: In this infamous case he solicitated Mráz telling him to go to beat the ref here

And that wasn´t his only incident.
I think we have enough problems even without him...

Old
04-20-2012, 03:53 PM
zorz

Quote:
I guess only Hruška, he´s been mentioned before....

Don´t see anyone there who could be an upgrade over what we currently have (as poor as it is)....well except Bartek, but he says that "NT is a finished chapter for him", because he´s been overlooked for years....AFAIK the primary reason why he´s been overlooked is his attitude ...
Case in point: In this infamous case he solicitated Mráz telling him to go to beat the ref here

And that wasn´t his only incident.
I think we have enough problems even without him...
wow, I haven't seen something like that before. I wonder what would happen if he did the same with Kudroc or somebody like that at WHC

Old
04-20-2012, 04:05 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
wow, I haven't seen something like that before. I wonder what would happen if he did the same with Kudroc or somebody like that at WHC
Well, it was actually a collective effort, kind of a theater from Zvolen´s players. Their way to "protest" against Zdeno Cíger getting a small suspension for attacking an another ref (he pushed him I think, got a 6 games suspension - the smallest possible, thereafter). Still doesn´t excuse any of them. And as I said it wasn ´t the only trouble he got into, he was banned for life by the international ball hockey federation and Slovak ball hockey federation after he insulted a ref in a game of the junior European championships. He just screams trouble...

Old
04-20-2012, 04:13 PM
zorz

Quote:
Well, it was actually a collective effort, kind of a theater from Zvolen´s players. Their way to "protest" against Zdeno Cíger getting a small suspension for attacking an another ref (he pushed him I think, got a 6 games suspension - the smallest possible, thereafter). Still doesn´t excuse any of them. And as I said it wasn ´t the only trouble he got into, he was banned for life by the international ball hockey federation and Slovak ball hockey federation after he insulted a ref in a game of the junior European championships. He just screams trouble...
I'm not advocating him or something, but he didn't have any issues last couple of years as far as I know. Maybe he changed? People change during their life. I think if Vůjtek doesn't want him, it's probably not because of this history. It's possible Bartek told him he's not interested in private sometime during the season, who knows.

Old
04-20-2012, 04:21 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
I'm not advocating him or something, but he didn't have any issues last couple of years as far as I know. Maybe he changed? People change during their life. I think if Vůjtek doesn't want him, it's probably not because of this history. It's possible Bartek told him he's not interested in private sometime during the season, who knows.
Well, I dunno, mayhe he changed maybe he didn´t.....he did get his 2nd chance on the NT though he got to play at Deutschland Cup in 2010 under Hanlon.... But now I´m confused, I´ve read somewhere what I wrote before that he doesn´t even want to play for the NT as he´s been overlooked for years....now I read elsewhere that he would actually come if he got invited, but noone contacted him yet....Anyway, undepending on whether heś achnged man or not, it doesn´t look like Vujtek and co are interested....I think they would have contacted him both during the season and now if they were....

Old
04-20-2012, 04:26 PM
zorz

Quote:
Well, I dunno, mayhe he changed maybe he didn´t.....he did get his 2nd chance on the NT though he got to play at Deutschland Cup in 2010 under Hanlon.... But now I´m confused, I´ve read somewhere what I wrote before that he doesn´t even want to play for the NT as he´s been overlooked for years....now I read elsewhere that he would actually come if he got invited, but noone contacted him yet....Anyway, undepending on whether heś achnged man or not, it doesn´t look like Vujtek and co are interested....I think they would have contacted him both during the season and now if they were....
well, I'm the last person who would care if he's invited or not. Still it's a bit strange they didn't give it a try when they are so worried about goalscoring these days, that's all.

Old
04-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Krotak
is the Legend

Quote:

I agree with you but on the other hand Vujtek had almost no other choice. We are thin on C. The only two respectful centers we have right now are Mikúš and Bližňák. Kytnár works hard but that's maybe enough for 4th line. Then we have only Martin Cibák . Emergency call on C can be Surový and Haščák...
Vujtek want to make the Slovak NT younger. Plus through the season I got the feeling, Vujtek appreciate a lot a good skating forwards. Therefore there isn't Stumpel although right now he would be very good for us. In this situation I pray for Handzuš to join the team and then I believe Cibák is persona non grata even for Vujtek .

Slovakia lost 6th game in a row, but almost all these games were lost by 1 goal margin or in OT. So it isn't that bad considering we played against Russia and Czech rep. in the last 4 games.

I try to be realist. At this year's World Championship we have historically very tough opponents in our preliminary round group. The most acceptable opponents from TOP 6 countries for us are Russia and Sweden, but they are in different group.

My list of the least acceptable opponents for Slovakia:
1. Czech rep.
2. Canada
3. Finland
4. USA
5. Sweden
6. Switzerland
7. Russia
8. Gemany
9. Belarus
10. Denmark
11. Norway
12. Latvia

So it's tough mission for Slovakia this year, no matter what. IMO our team should be mentally strong and good skating team to succeed against these opponents... Anyway I still believe .

Old
04-21-2012, 02:26 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krotak View Post
I agree with you but on the other hand Vujtek had almost no other choice. We are thin on C. The only two respectful centers we have right now are Mikúš and Bližňák. Kytnár works hard but that's maybe enough for 4th line. Then we have only Martin Cibák . Emergency call on C can be Surový and Haščák...
Vujtek want to make the Slovak NT younger. Plus through the season I got the feeling, Vujtek appreciate a lot a good skating forwards. Therefore there isn't Stumpel although right now he would be very good for us. In this situation I pray for Handzuš to join the team and then I believe Cibák is persona non grata even for Vujtek .

Slovakia lost 6th game in a row, but almost all these games were lost by 1 goal margin or in OT. So it isn't that bad considering we played against Russia and Czech rep. in the last 4 games.

I try to be realist. At this year's World Championship we have historically very tough opponents in our preliminary round group. The most acceptable opponents from TOP 6 countries for us are Russia and Sweden, but they are in different group.

My list of the least acceptable opponents for Slovakia:
1. Czech rep.
2. Canada
3. Finland
4. USA
5. Sweden
6. Switzerland
7. Russia
8. Gemany
9. Belarus
10. Denmark
11. Norway
12. Latvia

So it's tough mission for Slovakia this year, no matter what. IMO our team should be mentally strong and good skating team to succeed against these opponents... Anyway I still believe .
LOL.

The center excuse is weak with Cibák, because considering what he played so far we could have easily just kept Galamboš, I doubt he could be any worse than Cibák, well actually he might actually omitt injuring the Czech player.

Vujtek wants to make the team younger. Haha, sorry, sometimes in November I might have actually believed it (wait, no, even then he had a young team - still other teams at DC had even younger ones- just because the older players refused to show up), but now that just sounds like a bad joke. Look at the roster and the ages of the players, the age average is currently 27,25 years and that´s counted with Sýkora (21) and Lušňák (23). The only other young player expected to join the team is Tatar (21). The others are Miklík (29), Dravecký (26), Šatan (37), Haščák (25), Hruška (26) and even all of them won´t make it....We will once again have a "young" team that will be older than most of our opponents....

In the logic of the people in Slovak hockey, 25-26 is the age when players get to get their first serious experience on international level....no problem that the players of our closest opponents nowadays like Switzerland, Germany or Denmark have numerous years of WC experience by then.....

On the current roster we have 6 (!) players who are 25 or younger and 4 of them are already 25 (and all of them probably won´t even stick on the roster - if everything continues the way it did so far, Hudáček will be the 3rd goalie and Mihálik might not make the team, Kytnár as you said will be the 4th C at best). Sekera, Mikúš and Bližňák are the only ones who will actually get playing time. Then we have Haščák (another 25 y.o.), who will join the team, but I doubt he will make the final team. Tatar (21) might be the fourth and actually only young guy who will get any palying time, but we don´t know what Vujtek´s plans for him are yet, he might very well be stuck on the 3rd/4th line.

By comparison currently at the same stage of preparation as we are Switzerland currently has 10 players who are 25 and under (and 5 of them are 22 and younger). Germany has 10 too (3 of them 22 or younger). Denmark actually has 18 of them (5 of them 22 or younger) and Norway currently has 7 out of 17 players 25 and under.

So yes, this is what it looks like "making the team younger" Vujtek´s version. (this is actually the 3rd try after Filc in 09 and Hanlon in 10). And Vujtek is just as "successful" in it as his two predessecors. You could argue that our young players just aren´t good enough and that´s why we have to rely on Marc Hossa or Radivojevič, but that´s exactly why I listed the likes of SUI, GER, DEN and NOR and not the likes of Sweden, because these teams have been outperforming us for the past few years despite playing teams build on young players from their home leagues.

I do not know what our result at the WC will be and maybe Vujtek will by some miracle succeed and bring the team into the QF and Sochi. But in my eyes he has failed at rebuilding this team just as Filc and Hanlon have. Don´t think that I believe we should just throw a bunch of juniors into the water, I understand that it is something that has to be done gradually. But there once again was nothing gradual this way in Vujtek´s work (if it even is his work) just us there wasn´t anything in Filc´s and Hanlon´s. It is once again just throwing some "young" guys on the team, so we can claim that we have a young team. But it IS NOT.

We have to stop pretending somewhere along the line or else we´re gonna rely on the likes of Marcel Hossa, Branko Radivojevič or Štefan Ružička until forever. Look where it lead us so far...

Old
04-21-2012, 03:01 AM
niljano

Maybe its a good thing to get a bad team for Slovakia. Last year your team had Olympic standard and it didnt go so well.

Old
04-21-2012, 03:04 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by niljano View Post
Maybe its a good thing to get a bad team for Slovakia. Last year your team had Olympic standard and it didnt go so well.
The problem is that this team actually doesn´t look as bad on paper as it actually is on ice. But we´ve seen enough of these players performances to know what (not) to expect from them...

Old
04-21-2012, 05:12 AM
zorz

btw. as far as I know many Slovaks seem to be concerned about the chance they would have to play olympic qualification. But is that really that bad thing? Of course it would mean 2012 WC squad failed, which sucks, but on the other hand I think they would still make it quite easily from the qualification and there would be more tough international games to be played where new and young players could get bigger opportunity to show something.

Old
04-21-2012, 05:22 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Vujtek wants to make the team younger. Haha, sorry, sometimes in November I might have actually believed it (wait, no, even then he had a young team - still other teams at DC had even younger ones- just because the older players refused to show up), but now that just sounds like a bad joke. Look at the roster and the ages of the players, the age average is currently 27,25 years and that´s counted with Sýkora (21) and Lušňák (23). The only other young player expected to join the team is Tatar (21). The others are Miklík (29), Dravecký (26), Šatan (37), Haščák (25), Hruška (26) and even all of them won´t make it....We will once again have a "young" team that will be older than most of our opponents....
I don't know if this'll ease the pain or not, but your post brought to me some echoes from a couple of years back when we'd just got a new head coach. It seemed at the time that his idea of "renewing" the team was to dig out washouts aged 30+ who had never achieved success on higher than domestic level. We even had our own "Martin Cibak", i.e a guy who seemed to have a slot in the coach's plans no matter how bad he played. His name is Tommi Santala.

After a couple of less-than-laudable results he seems to have learned a lesson or two though. Now save for an odd case or two, our NT debutants are mostly aged from 20 to 25, and he also seems to have figured out how to make the necessary tweaks to the game plan to enable his team to play winning hockey night in, night out.

Granted, the Finnish hockey was never in such a major crisis as Slovakia's seems to be now, but still it's worth retrospecting from where we are now. Finally lost that eternal bridesmaid status. Even if we do think that the Finnish Ice Hockey Association's head honcho is a fat, greedy basterd who needs an extra skybox in any arena just to accommodate his ego, he did do some good by placing his full trust trust on our coach back then.

It's not easy being a hockey coach, especially on the national level. You're supposed to do something to set up the road for the future, but at the same time people expect results from you right now. It sometimes leads to the coach trying to "play it safe" on his first outing, just to get a respectable result.

All I'm saying is... give Vujtek some time. One reason he may dis some of the youngsters is because he's yet to orient himself fully. Judging by Slovakia's preliminary results so far, he seems to be quite capable coach on tactical level. I mean, he's operating on limited material yet the results have been close losses against teams that appear stronger on paper. If he is anything like our Jalonen and willing to learn from his mistakes, you might have some good stuff brewing in there despite the sour pre-taste.

Old
04-21-2012, 06:18 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
I don't know if this'll ease the pain or not, but your post brought to me some echoes from a couple of years back when we'd just got a new head coach. It seemed at the time that his idea of "renewing" the team was to dig out washouts aged 30+ who had never achieved success on higher than domestic level. We even had our own "Martin Cibak", i.e a guy who seemed to have a slot in the coach's plans no matter how bad he played. His name is Tommi Santala.

After a couple of less-than-laudable results he seems to have learned a lesson or two though. Now save for an odd case or two, our NT debutants are mostly aged from 20 to 25, and he also seems to have figured out how to make the necessary tweaks to the game plan to enable his team to play winning hockey night in, night out.

Granted, the Finnish hockey was never in such a major crisis as Slovakia's seems to be now, but still it's worth retrospecting from where we are now. Finally lost that eternal bridesmaid status. Even if we do think that the Finnish Ice Hockey Association's head honcho is a fat, greedy basterd who needs an extra skybox in any arena just to accommodate his ego, he did do some good by placing his full trust trust on our coach back then.

It's not easy being a hockey coach, especially on the national level. You're supposed to do something to set up the road for the future, but at the same time people expect results from you right now. It sometimes leads to the coach trying to "play it safe" on his first outing, just to get a respectable result.

All I'm saying is... give Vujtek some time. One reason he may dis some of the youngsters is because he's yet to orient himself fully. Judging by Slovakia's preliminary results so far, he seems to be quite capable coach on tactical level. I mean, he's operating on limited material yet the results have been close losses against teams that appear stronger on paper. If he is anything like our Jalonen and willing to learn from his mistakes, you might have some good stuff brewing in there despite the sour pre-taste.
Vujtek has the whole season to orient himself. Yet he still invited the players that didn´t play under him druign the season, becaus ethey were too busy. And it is the very same players that have disappointed year in and year out under every single coach we´ve had the past few years. Our results in the past few years speak volumes about the level and especially the ATTITUDE of theyse players. It is not that hard to check those results. And there are people at the federation who were there when these players repeatedly failed.
Hanlon for example could have been just orientating himself in 2010, but then in 2011 he came up with the all old geezer team.
This is not just a sour pre-taste. A pre-taste doesn´t last 5 years and more like our had so far under all the coaches. And now we´re supposed to endure even more?
It´s not like we have all eternity for this rebuild. If some Vujtek recognizes some of his mistakes, he will send the young players and he will be shocked that they aren´t ready for the big scene. Because they will lack the experience.
Also, no offense to Finland, but despite winning the gold and Granlund your team was actually one of the oldest at the tourney. Which is no problem as obviously from the results it was good enough to win the whole thing. Slovakia for a number of years has had old teams that overwhlemingly underperformed. Yet many of the players are still on the team even today.
As for the results they might look "good", but they do not show the horrid disinterested play that we have seen on the ice (or the fact that Russia looks like a superb opponent, but they played with like their C team against us). You might say it´s just pre-WC, but these players have palyed the very same way at the actual WC for years now.
These are some of the guys that Vujtek is counting on as top 6 forwards (and they were pretty much given their sure positions before the WC preparations even started, Vujtek didn´t say their names, but he did say that "some players might have sure places" and we all now that these ar them):
Branko Radivojevič
- he´s a checking line player at the WC level at best, he has a whomping 5 points over 26 WC/OG games since 2007 (and 3 of them were actually in 07)
Marcel Hossa - the last time he played any good at the WC was in 2009 and he hasn´t even been that good in the KHL this season, he had a good NT tourney in November, but he has been just tragic in the preWc preparations
Štefan Ružička - once upon a time he actually at least tried to be good before the WC, before pulling a Hudini during the actual tourney, now he lazily sucks durign preparations already (additionally in 2010 he decide not to show up at all without any real reason)
Vujtek didn´t have time to orient himself? Any single Slovka hockey fan could easily tell him how much these guys have sucked over the last few years if he can´t see himself how much they suck now....And if nothing results speak for them...
Actions speak louder than words in Vujtek´s case and his actions towards making the team younger speak a zillion times louder than words (the fact that he actually tried to convince Ziggy Palffy to a NT return once again for example (not that I dont like Palffy or anything, but sometimes it´s time to move on...)

Old
04-21-2012, 06:50 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Vujtek has the whole season to orient himself.
It's exactly this kind of attitude I meant when I mentioned the dilemma of immediate results vs. building. It took Jalonen three seasons to fully find the direction he wanted to take Finnish hockey.

Quote:
Also, no offense to Finland, but despite winning the gold and Granlund your team was actually one of the oldest at the tourney. Which is no problem as obviously from the results it was good enough to win the whole thing.
None taken. However, I wasn't talking about that team alone, but the whole process of figuring out the available player pool - which is far more than just the selection process for WHC. Jalonen started by picking veteran players, but gradually added younger ones over the seasons until finally it all culminated to the team that took it all last spring. While the team's median age was high, it wasn't a wildly veteran team. Instead of having a wide range of players from all age groups, its stock sat firmly in the 27-30 range, in other words seasoned players in their prime. And most of them were of the kind he had "discovered" by himself, they certainly weren't NT staples before his tenure.

It was always bit of a headscratcher why the Slovakian association hired Hanlon in the first place. He had showed over the season that he was an old dog stuck in his antique ways and only knew one kind of hockey, where the general game plan is to play shutdown defense and rely on your meager handful of top players to generate the necessary offense, overtaxing them in the process. You appear to have a tactically far better coach in Vujtek, don't throw him under the bus yet simply because you don't agree with him on player politcs.

Old
04-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Krotak
is the Legend

I absolutely agree with FiLe. That's exactly how I see the whole situation of Slovak NT. Slovakiasnextone is a bit emotional. Look at the positives. Mikúš, Bližňák and Tatar are locks for NT, because they proved they are useful. It's a long process and we are on the beginning of that. I think Cibák won't play at the WC.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:01 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
I absolutely agree with FiLe. That's exactly how I see the whole situation of Slovak NT. Slovakiasnextone is a bit emotional. Look at the positives. Mikúš, Bližňák and Tatar are locks for NT, because they proved they are useful. It's a long process and we are on the beginning of that. I think Cibák won't play at the WC.
That´s what some people have been telling me last year as well and how did that end up?

And FiLe, the player politics as you put it is not the only problem. It would be a completely different matter if I just didn´t agree with the way he picked the players, but they would actually paly well for him. (As it was for example with Filc in the 2010 OQ, I am not ashamed to confess that I didn´t like the team he picked before, but I have to acknowledge that they did play well for him). But the players taht Vujtek picked have played **** under him. And there are years to rpove that they played **** under other coaches too.

Pánik and Tatar were locks to make the 2010 team too and what did it mean for the future? Nothing really. Mikúš actually at 2 WCs already too. So their participation at the WC has little to anything to do with Vujtek. Bližňák is getting a chance for the first time, but one of the reasons he didn´t get a chance before is that he had long seasons in NA.

Old
04-21-2012, 01:08 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
And FiLe, the player politics as you put it is not the only problem. It would be a completely different matter if I just didn´t agree with the way he picked the players, but they would actually paly well for him. (As it was for example with Filc in the 2010 OQ, I am not ashamed to confess that I didn´t like the team he picked before, but I have to acknowledge that they did play well for him). But the players taht Vujtek picked have played **** under him. And there are years to rpove that they played **** under other coaches too.
I recognize that speech. We have players like that, too, guys who just get picked to the national team time after time despite the general populace thinking they're useless. If you wish to try it out, just ask a random Finnish hockey fan for their opinion about d-man Lasse Kukkonen. Yet, despite 9 out of 10 of them probably telling you the guy is utter dung, he has represented Finland for seven times in major tournaments, has two olympic medals, three WHC medals and is a world champion. Boggles the mind.

The thing is, sometimes professional coaches have quite different understanding on what's good and what's garbage than us armchair ones. Coaching is not a zero-sum game. In reality, it's never as simple as "this guy plays bad, let's try this one instead". At least you can't do so to the whole team at one time, because at the same time you discard all those hours you've spent hammering the game plan into their heads. And you can't be sure the theoretical replacements end up playing any better either.

Sure, Vujtek can still fail in the end. All I'm trying to convey here is something I've learnt over my years as a follower of the sport - the picture we see from the arena seats or through our TV screens is not necessarily the same seen by the coach. And it's something we should keep in mind before we start calling 'em out on their actions. At the very least we should give it a bit of time.

Old
04-21-2012, 01:20 PM
ElHefe

What's wrong with the junior-development and Slovakian hockey in general these days? They won the WHC in -02 and had alot of superstars like Demitra, Bondra, Zednik, Satan etc. Now they are in a same league with Denmark, Latvia, Germany and Switzerland. I hate to say this but I don't see Slovakia as more dangerous opponent than any of these 4 countries that I mentioned. What's the problem Slovaks?

Old
04-21-2012, 01:57 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHefe View Post
What's wrong with the junior-development and Slovakian hockey in general these days?
I think the more correct question is what's been wrong with it since the beginning.

This retiring generation of Slovakian stars were born in the mid-70s and went through their key development stages in the late 80s/early 90s. Slovakia as a sovereign state didn't even exist back then.

Sure, they have managed to grow some top talent after that too, but if I were to explore the issue... I'd say the key reason to the decline of talent was that the players who were instrumental in lifting Slovakia to the elite were not developed by their own hockey infrastructure - but that of a wholly another state.

And by this, I don't mean to say it's not justified. I've no doubt the players referred here are not as Slovakian as they come. They just had a bit of extra help in bringing them up.

Old
04-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Krotak
is the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHefe View Post
What's wrong with the junior-development and Slovakian hockey in general these days? They won the WHC in -02 and had alot of superstars like Demitra, Bondra, Zednik, Satan etc. Now they are in a same league with Denmark, Latvia, Germany and Switzerland. I hate to say this but I don't see Slovakia as more dangerous opponent than any of these 4 countries that I mentioned. What's the problem Slovaks?
Main problems for Slovak national team:
1. junior-development (although it has had improved a little bit in the last 3-4 years)

2. tragical head coaches of Slovak national team in recent years (Hanlon, Hossa!!!)

3. it's the implication of the first point - no depth of elite players

Actually I think at the Olympics we can still put together very good team (but we must qualify to Sochi). However it's a different story at World Championships, because we can't get our best players from NHL.

BTW I hope Vujtek will change his decision and get a chance on Libor Hudáček. He won it for Slovan in 7th game of the series. Congratulation to Bratislava

Old
04-21-2012, 02:48 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Main problems for Slovak national team:
1. junior-development (although it has had improved a little bit in the last 3-4 years)

2. tragical head coaches of Slovak national team in recent years (Hanlon, Hossa!!!)

3. it's the implication of the first point - no depth of elite players

Actually I think at the Olympics we can still put together very good team (but we must qualify to Sochi). However it's a different story at World Championships, because we can't get our best players from NHL.

BTW I hope Vujtek will change his decision and get a chance on Libor Hudáček. He won it for Slovan in 7th game of the series. Congratulation to Bratislava
Just the fact that he wasn´t thinking about calling him before this game is pretty scandalous, don´t you think? We are rebuilding the team and we can afford to leave a 21 old who scores 7 goals and 12 points in 13 PO games on the league champions team. But him scoring those two goals was kinda sweet, sending Vujtek a message. If he doens´t call him despite that, then that´s just messed up....

Old
04-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Krotak
is the Legend

Quote:
Just the fact that he wasn´t thinking about calling him before this game is pretty scandalous, don´t you think? We are rebuilding the team and we can afford to leave a 21 old who scores 7 goals and 12 points in 13 PO games on the league champions team. But him scoring those two goals was kinda sweet, sending Vujtek a message. If he doens´t call him despite that, then that´s just messed up....
Libor Hudáček is great skater with very good puck skills. No doubt. However there's one question. How many points was Libor capable to do without Šatan? How many points is he capable to do on his own?

Now he scored the game winner on his own in OT in 7th game of the final series. He showed, he can create something on his own under pressure. That's the point, why I think, Vujtek should get a chance on him .

Closed Thread