HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Draft Picks this Summer/Draft

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2012, 12:33 AM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

vCash: 500
Draft Picks this Summer/Draft

What do we have for picks this summer? Whom do you think we'll take?

Last edited by slocal: 06-22-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old
04-21-2012, 12:53 AM
Iron Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
What do we have for picks this summer? Whom do you think we'll take?
We wont know the actual slots until we're eliminated. But if you're asking which rounds we didn't trade away, we still have a 1st, 2nd [55th overall] (compensatory pick for not signing Patrick White), 5th, 6th, Tampa Bay's 7th (155th overall), 7th

2nd was traded to Carolina for Ian White
other 2nd acquired from Minnesota traded to Tampa Bay for Dominic Moore
3rd was traded to Florida
4th was traded to Anaheim in Huskins/Moen deal

Old
04-21-2012, 01:07 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
We have the 15th-18th overall, I think, and I imagine DW will try to trade up into the top 10 or 12 and draft a high-skill forward.

Old
04-21-2012, 01:08 AM
Broomout

vCash: 50
I hope we trade into the 10..we need a good prospect

Old
04-21-2012, 01:46 AM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

We need something to look forward to.

Old
04-21-2012, 02:14 AM
sharkfan95
Stalock is the best

Hmm if we trade up I think we need a forward. Collberg seems like a safe pick or even Radek Faksa. the draft doesn't offer many forwards of N American decent. If we trade up for a dman i guess we could go with Ceci

Old
04-21-2012, 02:18 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfan95 View Post
Hmm if we trade up I think we need a forward. Collberg seems like a safe pick or even Radek Faksa. the draft doesn't offer many forwards of N American decent. If we trade up for a dman i guess we could go with Ceci
I love everything I hear about Collberg, and he's exactly the type of player we should be drafting. If we end up picking 15th or 16th, I bet we'd only have to move up a spot or two.

Old
04-21-2012, 11:24 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
I'm saying draft Girgensons. The Latvian Toews/Kesler. He got hurt at the end of the season, so maybe he slips to us.

Old
04-21-2012, 12:40 PM

They should draft a goaltender.

Old
04-21-2012, 01:45 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

http://www.prosportstransactions.com...ure/Sharks.htm

So we have:

1st
2nd (compensation, 25th pick in the 2nd round)
4th
5th
6th
7th (Bolts)
7th

Old
04-21-2012, 01:57 PM
HBSauce
Dirts McGirts

I don't know if this is the place to talk about it but if the Sharks could draft Henrik Samuelsson that wouldn't be a bad choice. I've seen him play with the Oil Kings a couple of times and he is always physical, gritty, and usually makes something happen offensively. Picked up 3 assists last night in the Oil Kings 6-1 win over Moose Jaw.

Pipe dream maybe, but I like him.

Old
04-21-2012, 02:33 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
I'm saying draft Girgensons. The Latvian Toews/Kesler. He got hurt at the end of the season, so maybe he slips to us.
We need a guy who is dynamic and quick and smart and has killer hands. We need to draft this year's Eberle or Ennis or Giroux. Drafting two-way players in the first round is the opposite of what we need. We have Couture and Pavelski. We need someone with creativity an speed and flash.

Old
04-21-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
We need a guy who is dynamic and quick and smart and has killer hands. We need to draft this year's Eberle or Ennis or Giroux. Drafting two-way players in the first round is the opposite of what we need. We have Couture and Pavelski. We need someone with creativity an speed and flash.
Yeah, San Jose needs a guys like Charlie Coyle or Michael Sgarbossa.

Oh, wait...

Old
04-21-2012, 03:11 PM
murdock1116

It is supposed to be a weak draft this year, so I don't think trading up is a smart thing.

Old
04-21-2012, 03:21 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Yeah, San Jose needs a guys like Charlie Coyle or Michael Sgarbossa.

Oh, wait...
I'll give you Sgarbossa, but Coyle is not that type of player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
It is supposed to be a weak draft this year, so I don't think trading up is a smart thing.
Every year, the draft next season is supposed to be great while the one just completed is terrible. Then, you get to January and February and people start talking about how the next draft is horrible, and it build until draft day, when everyone wishes that draft was as good as the one before it.

Rumor is that it's a good draft in the top-10, and then a big drop-off after. If we're at 15, then I think we could move up 5 spots.

Old
04-21-2012, 03:45 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
I'll give you Sgarbossa, but Coyle is not that type of player.

Every year, the draft next season is supposed to be great while the one just completed is terrible. Then, you get to January and February and people start talking about how the next draft is horrible, and it build until draft day, when everyone wishes that draft was as good as the one before it.

Rumor is that it's a good draft in the top-10, and then a big drop-off after. If we're at 15, then I think we could move up 5 spots.
The chances of Sgarbossa being the next Eberle, Giroux or Ennis are not very good...he had a phenomenal final year in Junior but I still think his NHL upside is a great 3rd liner, average 2nd liner. Yes, he can always surprise and be a 1st line talent but I wouldn't cound on it.

This draft is very deep on D, not so on forwards. The high end forward prospects will very likely be gone in the first 5-7 picks - so unless the Sharks have someone very specific they want I don't know that they'll have to move up.

Old
04-21-2012, 04:01 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
We need to draft more good players. period.

St. Louis is killing us with their two-way players and I wouldn't call them dynamic. Giroux is both two-way and dynamic.

We'll get more dynamic/speed and two-way if we keep more of our 1st/2nd round picks. Hopefully this is the start of that. It's hard to get a Giroux when you have 1 pick in the top 60 like we've had.

Old
04-21-2012, 04:27 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
The chances of Sgarbossa being the next Eberle, Giroux or Ennis are not very good...he had a phenomenal final year in Junior but I still think his NHL upside is a great 3rd liner, average 2nd liner. Yes, he can always surprise and be a 1st line talent but I wouldn't cound on it.

This draft is very deep on D, not so on forwards. The high end forward prospects will very likely be gone in the first 5-7 picks - so unless the Sharks have someone very specific they want I don't know that they'll have to move up.
I mean that type of player. Sgarbossa was never going to be a star.

And for god's sake, we cannot draft another defenseman in the first round, or the second round for that matter. Unless ****ing Ryan Murray falls to us, we have to take a forward, no ifs ands or buts.

And as for Collberg, he's out-performed Forsberg at pretty much all international competitions. His SEL stats are rubbish because he plays 5 minutes a night on the fourth line with two career grinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
We need to draft more good players. period.

St. Louis is killing us with their two-way players and I wouldn't call them dynamic. Giroux is both two-way and dynamic.

We'll get more dynamic/speed and two-way if we keep more of our 1st/2nd round picks. Hopefully this is the start of that. It's hard to get a Giroux when you have 1 pick in the top 60 like we've had.
McDonald is the one killing us. And he's hardly a two-way player. He's quick and flashy and dynamic. Notice how their two-way studs like Steen, Oshie, and Backes have been more or less ineffective?

And we could have had Giroux in 2006, but instead we took a defenseman, Ty Wishart, who never panned out.

Old
04-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Korolyuk15

maybe Grigorenko will plummet like cherepanov did and they can trade up to get him at 10th...unlikely to happen and obviously impossible that DW would draft a russian...

Old
04-21-2012, 06:24 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Thanks for the update on round/picks we have.

I'd really like to see us start stock piling decent high end prospects - glad we have a 1st and 2nd. I'd like to see DW move a mid level NHL level player for another high end pick/prospect. Arn't we like 30th in prospect rankings...

Old
04-21-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
Thanks for the update on round/picks we have.

I'd really like to see us start stock piling decent high end prospects - glad we have a 1st and 2nd. I'd like to see DW move a mid level NHL level player for another high end pick/prospect. Arn't we like 30th in prospect rankings...
Just about every legitimate list I've seen has SJ in the bottom three...

Old
04-21-2012, 06:33 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Just about every legitimate list I've seen has SJ in the bottom three...
Just awful being a decent team and turning picks into players to push us over the top to win a cup.... Not winning the cup and having a crap prospect pool... We really need to start adding and keeping prospects around for the Sharks retooling that is very close. I think this means better players for the W Sharks which is a good thing.

Old
04-21-2012, 06:40 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
McDonald is the one killing us. And he's hardly a two-way player. He's quick and flashy and dynamic. Notice how their two-way studs like Steen, Oshie, and Backes have been more or less ineffective?

And we could have had Giroux in 2006, but instead we took a defenseman, Ty Wishart, who never panned out.
Berglund, Steen, Backes all have goal(s) while not really giving up any goals to our "star" players. Havlat's flash only showed up in 1 game. Oshie had the set up for the Backes goal.

We did get Boyle out of the Wishart pick so I won't complain too much about it.

Old
04-21-2012, 07:22 PM
sharkfan95
Stalock is the best

anyone seen Radek Faksa play? I think he may be the boom bust type=S

Old
04-21-2012, 07:26 PM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfan95 View Post