HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

So, shall we begin? Armchair GM thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-21-2012, 10:25 PM
  #51
BigDmitriy
Registered User
 
BigDmitriy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 743
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BigDmitriy Send a message via MSN to BigDmitriy Send a message via Yahoo to BigDmitriy
I'm actually not too sure what to expect from DW this offseason...will the coaches get canned? Any knee-jerk moves? Any blockbuster moves?

I would like some slow players like Clowe, Murray, Winchester, Vandermeer, White, and Handzus as well as some other guys like Mitchell and Moore to be let go/moved. Galiardi is probably worth re-signing for cheap and Winnik should be retained as well. I'm not sure one of Braun/Demers, Marleau, Pavelski, Niemi, or Boyle should go, but those guys should be replaced with speed. Build around this maybe?

Marleau/Thornton/----
Couture/Pavelski/Havlat
Winnik/----/----
Galiardi/Desjardins/Wingels

Vlasic/Burns
----/Boyle
Demers/Braun

Niemi
Greiss

Relax guys, we were supposed to lose this anyway...hopefully we can bounce back with a better season next year...Go Sharks.

BigDmitriy is offline  
Old
04-21-2012, 10:28 PM
  #52
Linkster
LTIR'ed off
 
Linkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Coastal Sharkifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
I really don't think DW will convince Marleau's agent to waive the NTC for a destination team that can afford an over-30 player at $6.9m for 2 years.

Damn statistical probability, may you rot in mathematical Hades.

Linkster is offline  
Old
04-21-2012, 10:29 PM
  #53
Arrch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NorCal
Country: United States
Posts: 4,119
vCash: 3095
Thornton needs a new Cheechoo.

Arrch is offline  
Old
04-21-2012, 10:31 PM
  #54
onski
Registered User
 
onski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Hollywood
Country: Iran
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to onski Send a message via Skype™ to onski
everyone is saying "trade Marleau" but who is gonna take some gutless has-been? the Sharks need a decent forechecker, a pesky defenseman, and a player with heart who sparks the rest of the team. if they get those three holes filled, they can reload and see what happens but to be honest, they shouldn't have been in the playoffs to begin with. they were done before they dropped the puck in Game 1

onski is offline  
Old
04-21-2012, 10:34 PM
  #55
baydrake
gutless performance
 
baydrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,353
vCash: 500
gonna go ahead and assume suter and parise aren't going to happen.

i think TMac is done. DW probably stays, but mgmt won't go for a tank season so they go for a re-tool:

clowe, demers/braun for schenn, pick
murray for pick
sign stoll, stuart, doan (), d.jones
re-sign winnik

marleau-thornton-doan(but really pavelski)
havlat-couture-jones
desjardins-stoll-wingels
galiardi-winnik-ferriero/UFA

schenn-boyle
vlasic-burns
stuart-demers/braun

baydrake is offline  
Old
04-21-2012, 10:35 PM
  #56
Arkansas Shark
Hilary Knight ♥♥♥♥♥
 
Arkansas Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arkansawww/NorCal
Country: United States
Posts: 3,292
vCash: 500
For what's it worth, I did a Be a GM mode on NHL 12 and traded Douglas Murray to NYI for Michael Grabner.

Arkansas Shark is offline  
Old
04-21-2012, 10:38 PM
  #57
Linkster
LTIR'ed off
 
Linkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Coastal Sharkifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by baydrake View Post
gonna go ahead and assume suter and parise aren't going to happen.

i think TMac is done. DW probably stays, but mgmt won't go for a tank season so they go for a re-tool:

clowe, demers/braun for schenn, pick
murray for pick
sign stoll, stuart, doan (), d.jones
re-sign winnik

marleau-thornton-doan(but really pavelski)
havlat-couture-jones
desjardins-stoll-wingels
galiardi-winnik-ferriero/UFA

schenn-boyle
vlasic-burns
stuart-demers/braun
Don't rule out Brad Boyes.

Generally, you're in the right ballpark. Management can't do a total overhaul until 2014 without shedding season-ticket-holders, so I think they keep DW and tweak the roster. But adios TMac.

Linkster is offline  
Old
04-21-2012, 10:38 PM
  #58
gonegonegone*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onski View Post
everyone is saying "trade Marleau" but who is gonna take some gutless has-been? the Sharks need a decent forechecker, a pesky defenseman, and a player with heart who sparks the rest of the team. if they get those three holes filled, they can reload and see what happens but to be honest, they shouldn't have been in the playoffs to begin with. they were done before they dropped the puck in Game 1
marleau is on a decent contract and is still a top 10 LW in the game. any team that needs a quality wing or even a 2nd line center will love him. he has value assuming he waives his ntc. that said he all but wore out his welcome here.

gonegonegone* is offline  
Old
04-21-2012, 10:39 PM
  #59
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 25,826
vCash: 500
Nothing will happen that will please this board. Marleau isn't going anywhere. I expect coaching and system issues to be addressed because that was a clear hindrance all year. The trade market will be active if some of these higher seeds bow out.

Gene Parmesan is online now  
Old
04-21-2012, 10:48 PM
  #60
19sharks19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: T.O. to S.J. & back
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
How about some creativity here:

Kessel/Thornton/Burns (back up front as he originally played)
Marleau/Pavs/Couture
Winnik/Desjardins/Wingels
Sheppard/Ferreiro/Mashinter

Suter (via ufa)/Vlasic
Murray/Boyle
Demers/Braun
Irwin

(Clowe and Niemi for Kessel. Toronto gets some size and the goaltending they want and need. We get our finisher)

Nittymaki/Greiss


Last edited by 19sharks19: 04-22-2012 at 12:07 AM.
19sharks19 is online now  
Old
04-21-2012, 10:49 PM
  #61
exchequer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
marleau is on a decent contract and is still a top 10 LW in the game. any team that needs a quality wing or even a 2nd line center will love him. he has value assuming he waives his ntc. that said he all but wore out his welcome here.
If we trade marleau, I don't think we'd be operating from a position of leverage which means we wont be able to maximize return. Would any gm run the risk of giving too much for a disgruntled player?

exchequer is offline  
Old
04-21-2012, 10:58 PM
  #62
lsx
Registered User
 
lsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
My ideal situation:

Out the door
Marleau gone, IMO his lack of effort is a cancer on the team. Ideal return would be a speedy winger with finishing ability...basically a Marleau 2.0 with less streakiness and more heart. To see this guy with so much pure talent and skill play the way he does is just infuriating.

Mclellan, Shaw, Woodcroft gone.

Niemi gone, bring up Stalock and run a pairing like the Blues did with Stalock/Greiss

Stay in SJ
Keep Clowe despite his down year, physicality is low on this team, and when he's on his game he's a board battle master.

Pavs and Couture slumped at the end of the season, that's not a reason to dump them.

Murray...rock out hard with a skating coach and see how he does next season.

Winchester - I actually like his game, disappointed he wasn't used more - keep him.

Winnik - resign to at least save a little face on that mcginn trade

Handzeus - gone
White - gone
Moore - undecided


I think we obviously know that Marleau isn't going anywhere...doesn't mean I can't wish it.

Havlat - Thornton - Pavelski
Marleau 2.0 - Couture - Clowe
Desjardins - Winnik - Galiardi
Winchester - Wingels - Mitchell

Boyle - Vlasic
Burns - Stuart
Braun - Murray
Demers

Greiss/Stalock


With some good coaching I think that's a solid lineup.

I should add on edit that my philosophy behind this lineup is that coaching and goaltending were the major issues this season, the majority of the pieces will work if managed properly, and shaking up the team too much at this point will do more harm than good - let this group work together a little more.


Last edited by lsx: 04-21-2012 at 11:06 PM.
lsx is offline  
Old
04-21-2012, 11:00 PM
  #63
The McMafia
Registered User
 
The McMafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by exchequer View Post
If we trade marleau, I don't think we'd be operating from a position of leverage which means we wont be able to maximize return. Would any gm run the risk of giving too much for a disgruntled player?
The NMC pretty much removes the possibility of getting a great return. The player has all of the leverage in the negotiation to go wherever he wants.

Same thing as Nash in Columbus. When there's very few teams open to make deals with, you're not going to get what you want.

The McMafia is offline  
Old
04-21-2012, 11:04 PM
  #64
Broomout
Registered User
 
Broomout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 1,169
vCash: 50
Yahoo wrote an article and said Burns is a UFA in 2 years. Thought he signed a 5 year deal??

Broomout is online now  
Old
04-21-2012, 11:04 PM
  #65
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!
 
Negatively Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,528
vCash: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
Thornton needs a new Cheechoo.
Phil Kessel? Right-handed shot except he can skate like the wind unlike Cheech. He's also got some creativity to his game. Burke would demand a lot though since Kessel is his love child.

Negatively Positive is offline  
Old
04-21-2012, 11:04 PM
  #66
Mhoogasian94123
Registered User
 
Mhoogasian94123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 1,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomout View Post
Give Edmonton everyone for the 1st and then have Yakupov be our only player
I thought we agreed Doug Wilson to Edmonton for Yakupov? You're losing value when you give too much.

Mhoogasian94123 is offline  
Old
04-21-2012, 11:07 PM
  #67
The McMafia
Registered User
 
The McMafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
Phil Kessel? Right-handed shot except he can skate like the wind unlike Cheech. He's also got some creativity to his game. Burke would demand a lot though since Kessel is his love child.
That would take a package including Pavelski, which I'm not sure would be a good idea. Kessel is on a good contract though.

It would likely be easier to grab a winger by shedding salary in other areas (Clowe, Murray, Boyle) and trying the UFA route (Parise).

The McMafia is offline  
Old
04-21-2012, 11:07 PM
  #68
Broomout
Registered User
 
Broomout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 1,169
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhoogasian94123 View Post
I thought we agreed Doug Wilson to Edmonton for Yakupov? You're losing value when you give too much.
Yakupov will score, defend, and play goal. We don't need anyone else!

Broomout is online now  
Old
04-21-2012, 11:08 PM
  #69
Iron Chef
Registered User
 
Iron Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
I'm not trying to come in as a holier than thou voice, but wouldn't you all agree that our loss wasn't about just specific players, but the system as a whole? And if thats the case, doesn't it make more sense to decide who can play in the "new NHL" rather than just singling out players that underachieved this season? Otherwise were just going to be in the same place next season as the Detroit Red Wings are probably finally realizing about their own franchise.

Iron Chef is offline  
Old
04-21-2012, 11:10 PM
  #70
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 27,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny2134 View Post
For what's it worth, I did a Be a GM mode on NHL 12 and traded Douglas Murray to NYI for Michael Grabner.
Gonna have to offer up a younger,top 4 defenseman then 32 yr old Murray,1 yr away from unrestricted free agency.

Grabner's 24 yrs old and the next two yrs of his contract are very team friendly: $2m next season and $3m in 2013-2014.

I expect Snow to shop his 2nd/3rd rounder and prospects like Rkahshani/Lee.Not young nhlers on good contracts.

CREW99AW is online now  
Old
04-21-2012, 11:14 PM
  #71
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Fistfullofbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Country: India
Posts: 7,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomout View Post
Yahoo wrote an article and said Burns is a UFA in 2 years. Thought he signed a 5 year deal??
Yahoo is cuckoo.

Burns did re-sign in the off-season.

__________________
What?! Look, he thinks he's people!
Fistfullofbeer is offline  
Old
04-21-2012, 11:15 PM
  #72
Broomout
Registered User
 
Broomout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 1,169
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Yahoo is cuckoo.

Burns did re-sign in the off-season.
That's what I thought, guess yahoo is pretty dumb..

Broomout is online now  
Old
04-21-2012, 11:16 PM
  #73
OnTheFence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Gonna have to offer up a younger,top 4 defenseman then 32 yr old Murray,1 yr away from unrestricted free agency.

Grabner's 24 yrs old and the next two yrs of his contract are very team friendly: $2m next season and $3m in 2013-2014.

I expect Snow to shop his 2nd/3rd rounder and prospects like Rkahshani/Lee.Not young nhlers on good contracts.
Kabanov +2nd for Murray?

OnTheFence is offline  
Old
04-21-2012, 11:21 PM
  #74
StalockSuperfan
Registered User
 
StalockSuperfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,486
vCash: 500
How bout something around Pavelski for Jordan Staal?

StalockSuperfan is online now  
Old
04-21-2012, 11:21 PM
  #75
Iron Chef
Registered User
 
Iron Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
Murray still has a lot of value for the right trading partner. Hes not a terrible player, he just doesnt work on the Sharks anymore.

Iron Chef is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.