HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So, shall we begin? Armchair GM thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2012, 12:25 AM
wtfisthis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
Kabanov +2nd for Murray?
A 2nd for Murray would already be enough.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:26 AM
The McMafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
I'm not trying to come in as a holier than thou voice, but wouldn't you all agree that our loss wasn't about just specific players, but the system as a whole? And if thats the case, doesn't it make more sense to decide who can play in the "new NHL" rather than just singling out players that underachieved this season? Otherwise were just going to be in the same place next season as the Detroit Red Wings are probably finally realizing about their own franchise.
There absolutely is a systematic problem. McLellan's system has become less and less effective as time has progressed - I think most would believe he'll be replaced in the offseason for this reason. A replacement coach would change how the team would approach free agency and what players would be targeted.

As per individual players, I would vote on getting value for anyone that has a close to expiring contract and won't be sticking around past next season.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:33 AM
SJSharks93

Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post
How bout something around Pavelski for Jordan Staal?
What the heck?

Move pretty much our best player?

Old
04-22-2012, 12:34 AM
SJSharks93

What do you think we could get for Clowe?

Old
04-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5H4RK5 View Post
We need some young up and coming players like Philadelphia, they rebuilt in 1 years time. I hope we can do the same.
Philly also had Briere and Giroux at center making moving Carter and Richards much easier. There is no Giroux and Danny "Playoff God" Briere in SJ.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:38 AM
Phu

Lots to think about but the #1 thing we need is better goaltending. So much of our game is affected by our lack of it.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:39 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks93 View Post
What the heck?

He said Pavelski for Staal, not Thornton for Staal.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:39 AM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks93 View Post
What the heck?

Pavelski isn't even close to our best player and we just witnessed why.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:40 AM
do0glas

Coach just needs to swallow his pride and find a new way. Don't think he needs to go, although getting someone that will work with players individually may help. I also think we are TOO two way, if that makes sense. We ride our top guys in defensive situations too much.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:40 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
Kabanov +2nd for Murray?
Kabanov is 20 yrs old.Murray is 32 and one yr from unrestricted free agency.

Despite what Kabanov's critics think,the isles are high on Kabanov.He had a strong 2010-2011 postseason,a good 2011-2012 regular season on the ice and no immature distractions.

He will be at Bridgeport next season.

Snow doesn't trade his top kids for short term pickups.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:42 AM
Arkansas Shark
Rebuild lol

How about Clowe for Grabner?

Speed problem fixed.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:43 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Wants to get faster.

Trade top-5 fastest player in the league.

???

Profit.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:44 AM
Iron Chef

I'm also in the camp that you don't just gut the team because the system doesn't work. You start with Todd and say "can we revamp the system?" If he seems like he can't get away from the Detroit system and is passionate about it, its time to change coaching. If he's on board, then you evaluate the players during their exit interviews and ask them if they could be a part of a new system. Its all about the system first, then building a team out based on that. Thats why we may be in for a tough off season with fan favorites being traded.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:45 AM
JeremyTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Kabanov is 20 yrs old.Murray is 32 and one yr from unrestricted free agency.

Despite what Kabanov's critics think,the isles are high on Kabanov.He had a strong 2010-2011 postseason,a good 2011-2012 regular season on the ice and no immature distractions.

He will be at Bridgeport next season.

Snow doesn't trade his top kids for short term pickups.
It's ok we will take Tavares instead then :-)

Old
04-22-2012, 12:46 AM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Coach just needs to swallow his pride and find a new way. Don't think he needs to go, although getting someone that will work with players individually may help. I also think we are TOO two way, if that makes sense. We ride our top guys in defensive situations too much.
isn't Todds contract up?

I do believe his assistants must go though.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:49 AM
sharkfan95
Stalock is the best

People wanna trade Braun and Pavelski. NO.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:54 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny2134 View Post
How about Clowe for Grabner?

Speed problem fixed.
Clowe is a ufa in 2013.The isles have major budget problems.

Wang wants to keep payroll as low as he can, until 2015 when the lease ends

Old
04-22-2012, 12:58 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

Clowe and Murray would be my picks to go because they're too damn slow. Clowe is a PF who's had knee surgeries and he could drop off a cliff any time. He might have started already so I'd sell him now. When we were having that debate about keeping Vlasic or Murray, I asked what would happen if Murray lost a step since that could be the difference b/t him being an effective d-man versus a Cheechoo where he's too slow for the NHL. The beginning of the end might be here for Murray.

With that said, can you imagine how SOFT this team will be w/o Murray and Clowe? They might be slow and had down years, but they're badasses. If you thought this team didn't have enough grit, wait till Murray and Clowe are gone.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:00 AM
sjsharklover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
I'm not trying to come in as a holier than thou voice, but wouldn't you all agree that our loss wasn't about just specific players, but the system as a whole? And if thats the case, doesn't it make more sense to decide who can play in the "new NHL" rather than just singling out players that underachieved this season? Otherwise were just oing to be in the same place next season as the Detroit Red Wings are probably finally realizing about their own franchise.
I may be wrong but couldnt "the new Nhl"be different again next year I think alot of people are creating their dream team now based on what would work this year.And isnt that what we bash DW for doing?

Old
CREW99AW

If your gm is looking for 2nd/3rd rounders and prospects like Rhkashani/Lee,I expect Snow would make a good trade partner.

If your gm is looking to add top prospects or deal your high priced players,he'll be dealing with another gm,not Snow.

Snow's told our fans what to expect,yet some still act surprised or po'd over Snow's comments/budget restrictions.

Old
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
Clowe and Murray would be my picks to go because they're too damn slow. Clowe is a PF who's had knee surgeries and he could drop off a cliff any time. He might have started already so I'd sell him now. When we were having that debate about keeping Vlasic or Murray, I asked what would happen if Murray lost a step since that could be the difference b/t him being an effective d-man versus a Cheechoo where he's too slow for the NHL. The beginning of the end might be here for Murray.

With that said, can you imagine how SOFT this team will be w/o Murray and Clowe? They might be slow and had down years, but they're badasses. If you thought this team didn't have enough grit, wait till Murray and Clowe are gone.
Grit is the single most overrated aspect of winning a hockey game. Marleau was hitting and not scoring. Skill>grit, and it isn't particularly close.

How many big hits did you see any Blues player throw? I can remember one by Oshie in game 2. That's all.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:03 AM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 338
I've been saying it all year, and I'll say it here. Before we move any player, fire the coaching staff. The system doesn't work and all these guys were underachieving all season long. All this talk about dropping Pavelski is crazy and is another example of the "What have you done for me lately" mentality. This is a good team that played a really bad system.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:06 AM
sjsharklover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
I've been saying it all year, and I'll say it here. Before we move any player, fire the coaching staff. The system doesn't work and all these guys were underachieving all season long. All this talk about dropping Pavelski is crazy and is another example of the "What have you done for me lately" mentality. This is a good team that played a really bad system.
No the system wasnt bad just bad luck remember?

Old
04-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Grit is the single most overrated aspect of winning a hockey game. Marleau was hitting and not scoring. Skill>grit, and it isn't particularly close.

How many big hits did you see any Blues player throw? I can remember one by Oshie in game 2. That's all.
I'm not just talking about hitting though. The Sharks lost sooo many battles on the boards. Players like Galiardi, Couture, etc. would easily get pushed off the puck and the next thing you know the Blues are skating out with the puck. Grit could be about winning those tough board battles and keeping the cycle going. Murray and Clowe are very strong on the boards when healthy.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:09 AM
wtfisthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
Its not a "what have you done for me lately" mentality, it's a "move in a new direction" mentality. Now, Im not saying they should trade him just for the sake of getting rid of him, but if a deal is right, he absolutely needs to be moved. He should not have the untouchable status. The team needs to get faster to keep up with today's NHL and moving Pavelski might bring back some pieces that could actually improve the team. If not now, then definitely in the future.

Closed Thread