HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So, shall we begin? Armchair GM thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2012, 12:10 AM
19sharks19

vCash: 500
How about some creativity here:

Kessel/Thornton/Burns (back up front as he originally played)
Marleau/Pavs/Couture
Winnik/Desjardins/Wingels
Sheppard/Ferreiro/Mashinter

Suter (via ufa)/Vlasic
Murray/Boyle
Demers/Braun
Irwin

(Clowe and Niemi for Kessel. Toronto gets some size and the goaltending they want and need. We get our finisher)

Nittymaki/Greiss

Old
04-22-2012, 12:14 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
How about some creativity here:

Kessel/Thornton/Burns (back up front as he originally played)
Marleau/Pavs/Couture

Suter (via ufa)/Vlasic
Murray/Boyle
Demers/Braun
Irwin

(Clowe and Niemi for Kessel. Toronto gets some size and the goaltending they want and need. We get our finisher)

Nittymaki/Greiss
No way in hell does Burns get moved to forward. He's just rounding into a good all-around d-man. Also, you forgot Havlat.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:20 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
No way in hell does Burns get moved to forward. He's just rounding into a good all-around d-man. Also, you forgot Havlat.
Nah he's just assuming Havlat chokes on a pastry and skills coffee on his lap putting him on the IR for the whole season.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:22 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
If it was so easy to (A) trade for Kessel, (B) sign the best UFA's it would've been done.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:25 AM
19sharks19

Quote:
Oops. Pretty late here in the east.

Kessel/Thornton/Couture
Marleau/Pavs/Havlat

Suter/Burns
Vlasic/Boyle
Demers/Braun
Irwin
(Murray to the East for some picks)

Nitty/Greiss

Old
04-22-2012, 12:27 AM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
If it was so easy to (A) trade for Kessel, (B) sign the best UFA's it would've been done.
True, but it is only a wish list of course. But with Kessel, he wasn't moved at the window as Toronto was at the belief they were in the race still. Plus, a Ufa is open to all/highest bidder. Simply being aggressive.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:28 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
It'd be interesting to be a fly on the wall when management and DW have their talks. It begins with whether the ownership retains DW. If they do, then the ball is in DW's court on whether to fire T-Mac and company or not. If DW is gone, then T-Mac will probably be gone too because the new GM might want his own hand-picked coach. We can speculate all we want about the player moves, but the first dominoes will be DW and T-Mac.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:28 AM
HBSauce
Dirts McGirts

everyone except Couture and Burns can go. Burns isn't a #1 defenceman but he is a great #3 defenseman. Fairly difficult to get.

Core needs to be changed and I'd rather try and build something better than get behind a team that will not get to the next level.

New direction, new philosophy, new San Jose Sharks.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:29 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
You never know what the hell is going to happen, but I would like to get Carle back and sign David Jones the rest who knows.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:32 AM
lsx

Kessel isn't coming here, Parise isn't coming here, Suter isn't coming here.

Stuart is a distinct possibility.

And IMO, there's no way that DW is going anywhere.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:36 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Everyone that doesn't have a full clause should be on the table. Some will be more difficult than others to move obviously. Like Couture would only be available for something that is just absolutely stupid in the team's favor. I think the team needs to focus on moving out the slower non-core players on the team and getting whatever draft picks they can for them. Douglas Murray and Michal Handzus should not be on this team next year at the very minimum. You can put both Clowe and Pavelski on the table and see what teams will offer for them. Antti Niemi should be as well.

Any additions, especially to the scoring lines, should be players that have the element of speed to their game as well as skill.

I think they ought to do what they can to keep Daniel Winnik, re-sign Galiardi, Wingels, and Desjardins. For the most part, they weren't productive in the series but I see a lot of good in them and they have room to grow as the base of a good bottom six up front.

I would roll with Greiss and whoever wins out from the prospect pool as the tandem in net and improve the forwards and d-men with the savings. It would be nice if the Sharks actually went with three scoring lines instead of trying to be a two line offense and a shutdown line plus a 4th line.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:36 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Realistically:

-Deal off Murray and Clowe. Clowe should return a young top-6 player. I'd add a little (or a lot) depending on the player. For example, Clowe ++ for JVR. Or use Clowe to move up in the first round. I'd be fine with an early second for Murray.
-Re-sign Winnik, Galiardi, Braun, Desy, all our RFAs, etc.
-Let Vandermeer, White, and Winchester go. Re-sign Mitchell if he'll take less than $1M.
-Trade Handzus for a 7th rounder, or buy him out if need be.
-See what offers you can get for Boyle. Don't shop him, but listen. If you can get another young top-6 winger, or a very high pick, do it.
-Move Pavelski down to be the third-line pivot. I think he and Winnik could be a very good combination, not to mention that they'd be a legitimate shutdown line.
-Sign a depth #6 defenseman. Sign a PKing fourth liner.

Marleau-Couture-Havlat
XXX-Thornton-XXX
Winnik-Pavelski-Wingels
XXX/Mitchell-Desjardins-Galiardi

Vlasic-Burns
Braun-Demers
XXX-Boyle

Niemi
Greiss

Old
04-22-2012, 12:37 AM
Arrch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Phil Kessel? Right-handed shot except he can skate like the wind unlike Cheech. He's also got some creativity to his game. Burke would demand a lot though since Kessel is his love child.
Kessel is a bit unrealistic. I was thinking more along the lines of Stewert/Hesmky/Semin.

I would also be interested in Penner. He's had career lows in shooting percentage with the Kings and that is more likely to rebound in a more offensive system. Plus his value is so low right now.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:38 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Team needs to get faster and younger... I think unless DW pulls off a miracle, the core's run is over as cup contenders. They tried, couldn't get it done. Time to move on. That doesn't mean rebuild necessarily or firesale but a core guy needs to be gone imo.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:38 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBSauce View Post
everyone except Couture and Burns can go. Burns isn't a #1 defenceman but he is a great #3 defenseman. Fairly difficult to get.

Core needs to be changed and I'd rather try and build something better than get behind a team that will not get to the next level.

New direction, new philosophy, new San Jose Sharks.
Burns is at worst a #2, but he was easily our #1 this series and I feel confident going into next season with him as our #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
Kessel is a bit unrealistic. I was thinking more along the lines of Stewert/Hesmky/Semin.

I would also be interested in Penner. He's had career lows in shooting percentage with the Kings and that is more likely to rebound in a more offensive system. Plus his value is so low right now.
If we could deal Pavelski+ for Kessel, I'd do it.

But yeah, we should absolutely sign Penner. I know people love stereotypes, but I think he'd come cheap.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:40 AM
HBSauce
Dirts McGirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Everyone that doesn't have a full clause should be on the table. Some will be more difficult than others to move obviously. Like Couture would only be available for something that is just absolutely stupid in the team's favor. I think the team needs to focus on moving out the slower non-core players on the team and getting whatever draft picks they can for them. Douglas Murray and Michal Handzus should not be on this team next year at the very minimum. You can put both Clowe and Pavelski on the table and see what teams will offer for them. Antti Niemi should be as well.

Any additions, especially to the scoring lines, should be players that have the element of speed to their game as well as skill.

I think they ought to do what they can to keep Daniel Winnik, re-sign Galiardi, Wingels, and Desjardins. For the most part, they weren't productive in the series but I see a lot of good in them and they have room to grow as the base of a good bottom six up front.

I would roll with Greiss and whoever wins out from the prospect pool as the tandem in net and improve the forwards and d-men with the savings. It would be nice if the Sharks actually went with three scoring lines instead of trying to be a two line offense and a shutdown line plus a 4th line.
I agree with this post. Winnik was definitely a good pick up and I think Galiardi will be a good player for us, just gotta use him correctly.

Wingels was an awesome surprise and Desjardins really came around for playoffs.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:41 AM
SJSharks93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Realistically:

-Deal off Murray and Clowe. Clowe should return a young top-6 player. I'd add a little (or a lot) depending on the player. For example, Clowe ++ for JVR. Or use Clowe to move up in the first round. I'd be fine with an early second for Murray.
-Re-sign Winnik, Galiardi, Braun, Desy, all our RFAs, etc.
-Let Vandermeer, White, and Winchester go. Re-sign Mitchell if he'll take less than $1M.
-Trade Handzus for a 7th rounder, or buy him out if need be.
-See what offers you can get for Boyle. Don't shop him, but listen. If you can get another young top-6 winger, or a very high pick, do it.
-Move Pavelski down to be the third-line pivot. I think he and Winnik could be a very good combination, not to mention that they'd be a legitimate shutdown line.
-Sign a depth #6 defenseman. Sign a PKing fourth liner.

Marleau-Couture-Havlat
XXX-Thornton-XXX
Winnik-Pavelski-Wingels
XXX/Mitchell-Desjardins-Galiardi

Vlasic-Burns
Braun-Demers
XXX-Boyle

Niemi
Greiss
I would not be surprised if Boyle gets traded. He has a clause this summer with a window. Mitchell needs to go. Sorry, there are better players then him for that price.

Not sure if Couture is ready to take top line duty. I like Pavs as a center, even on the third line, but I think you have to give him someone with a bit more scoring touch. Maybe Wingles could fill that, maybe not.

Handzus will probably be bought out.

Also, very curious if a goaltender will be gone after. I am looking at you Harding.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:42 AM
HBSauce
Dirts McGirts

Quote:
Burns is at worst a #2, but he was easily our #1 this series and I feel confident going into next season with him as our #1.

But yeah, we should absolutely sign Penner. I know people love stereotypes, but I think he'd come cheap.

It would be great if they could somehow score Suter and build around a top 4 with those two guys in there. Burns and Suter top 4? Siiiiiick

Old
04-22-2012, 12:44 AM
Arrch

Quote:

Yeah but I think the Leafs are looking are going to try going hard to get Kessel a #1 center, rather than let him go for a high end #2 center. Thinking of a high end winger like Kessel on Thornton's wing does make me salivate though.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Burke isn't getting rid of Kessel that might as well be a letter of resignation

Old
04-22-2012, 12:46 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
It would be great if they could somehow score Suter and build around a top 4 with those two guys in there. Burns and Suter top 4? Siiiiiick
It's tough to realistically expect Ryan Suter to come this way. They definitely should pursue him and offer him a competitive contract and if he signs, great. I wouldn't bank my off-season on him and they have other things they need to address regardless of whether he gets signed.

I just hope for DW's sake that he finally decides to get the pieces in prior to the season starting instead of waiting for the deadline.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:47 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

I know the market is inflated right now but people really think Clowe is gonna garner a first round pick and/or a young, good player? Clowe had his worst season this year and did nothing really in the playoffs.

I'd take an reclamation project and/or 2nd or 3rd round pick for Clowe and be ecstatic at this point.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:49 AM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow26 View Post
This isn't NHL 12. How do you expect to land all of those players? Nash and Stuart I can see happening but that's about it. I'd love to get Vokoun but I have a bad feeling DW is going to stick with Niemi.
i drew it up along the lines of

pavelski+petrecki for staal.
pavelski has the IQ required to play alongside crosby and be effective, so pittsburgh does it.

marleau to toronto for kulemin+schenn+colborne+2nd

colborne + niemi for JVR

murray to edmonton for sam gagner + 3rd

sam ganger+kulemin for bolland

clowe+schenn+1st for nash

now is it alot of trades. yes. is it very unlikely. yes. but its not impossible.

asham and stuart are free agent signings btw

value may be off on some trades

Old
04-22-2012, 12:51 AM
The McMafia

Quote:
Penner is an interesting case since the talent is there but it seems he's never been fully utilized post-Anaheim. I don't think he'd fetch over 2 million, so that's a buy-low option.

Quote:
I agree with this post. Winnik was definitely a good pick up and I think Galiardi will be a good player for us, just gotta use him correctly.

Wingels was an awesome surprise and Desjardins really came around for playoffs.
Winnik was a surprisingly good pickup. He's better offensively than I would have thought. Galiardi needs a reset, so a full offseason with the org will probably help out a bunch.

I see good things in the future for Wingels and Desjardins. Desi has a little Ricci in him - definitely more than just a 4th line center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks93 View Post
I would not be surprised if Boyle gets traded. He has a clause this summer with a window.
If the Sharks make any big UFA bids, he and Clowe would have to be moved for salary reasons alone. With Boyle, it might be time to sell high.

Old
04-22-2012, 12:52 AM
do0glas

Nashville will most likely keep suter. They are going to have a deep run, and they have great fans, low pressure.

Pavs should be on the third line. Rolling three scoring lines would be great, and winnik/pavs/x player would probably double as a great shutdown line.

Closed Thread