HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

So, shall we begin? Armchair GM thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2012, 01:40 AM
The McMafia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Whatever DW's plan is this off-season, I just want him to go into it with the thought that his lineup should be complete from game 1 of the season and not with twenty to go.
The more time that passes since the game tonight, and the more and more I think about it, the team was not built to win this year. Too many players in the wrong roles, and too many acquisitions that didn't pan out.

The roster needs some tweaking, but even moreso, the way that it is utilized needs to change.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:41 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
I'd rather get a future asset for him and see what our many young goalies can do. He's not special enough to hang on to. Yeah, he's not overpaid but if a team like Chicago expressed interest in him for a 2nd round pick, I think you have to do it.
I think it comes down to what next season is about. If you start the young goalies, I think you're saying the run is over..

Chicago might have nostaglic interest but I don't think Crawford has played his way out just yet. They can still win the PHX series.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:41 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm more interested in who will help score goals to win games rather than one stupid incident three years ago.
Soft player is soft, something The Sharks don't need more of.

I'm all for his goal scorning ability but unless this team upgrades in overall physicality the speed is irrelevant.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:43 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanca View Post

I'm all for his goal scorning ability but unless this team upgrades in overall physicality the speed is irrelevant.
Sasha doesn't throw lots of hits, but he's a strong dude.

Russian stereotype is stereotypical.

Isn't the point to get faster and more skilled?

Old
04-22-2012, 01:43 AM
lsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepainter View Post
Niemi was the least of our problems. Also surprised to see nobody wanting to keep Winchester. I thought he was great in the games he played this year
Quote:
Niemi may be the least of the problems but I just don't see any real reason to keep him. I wouldn't mind keeping Winchester for another year but his worth to the team was shown when they sat him to finish the year. What's the point of keeping a guy you dropped out of the lineup?

Whatever DW's plan is this off-season, I just want him to go into it with the thought that his lineup should be complete from game 1 of the season and not with twenty to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx View Post
My ideal situation:

Out the door
Marleau gone, IMO his lack of effort is a cancer on the team. Ideal return would be a speedy winger with finishing ability...basically a Marleau 2.0 with less streakiness and more heart. To see this guy with so much pure talent and skill play the way he does is just infuriating.

Mclellan, Shaw, Woodcroft gone.

Niemi gone, bring up Stalock and run a pairing like the Blues did with Stalock/Greiss

Stay in SJ
Keep Clowe despite his down year, physicality is low on this team, and when he's on his game he's a board battle master.

Pavs and Couture slumped at the end of the season, that's not a reason to dump them.

Murray...rock out hard with a skating coach and see how he does next season.

Winchester - I actually like his game, disappointed he wasn't used more - keep him.

Winnik - resign to at least save a little face on that mcginn trade

Handzeus - gone
White - gone
Moore - undecided

I think we obviously know that Marleau isn't going anywhere...doesn't mean I can't wish it.

Havlat - Thornton - Pavelski
Marleau 2.0 - Couture - Clowe
Desjardins - Winnik - Galiardi
Winchester - Wingels - Mitchell

Boyle - Vlasic
Burns - Stuart
Braun - Murray
Demers

Greiss/Stalock

With some good coaching I think that's a solid lineup.

I should add on edit that my philosophy behind this lineup is that coaching and goaltending were the major issues this season, the majority of the pieces will work if managed properly, and shaking up the team too much at this point will do more harm than good - let this group work together a little more.
I think it was a mistake to not use Winchester more, he added gritty depth and size to the team not made up elsewhere on the bottom lines. We were all impressed with some of the offensive upside he had as well.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:44 AM
Lebanezer

I've said this before, and I'm gonna say this again, DW please call Colorado about Matt Duchene. A pipe dream maybe, but he played a lot on the 4th line this year in Colorado and Joe Sacco doesn't like him. Give them a package with Clowe and get that speedy ****er.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:44 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
Quote:

Yeah his "this team isn't build until the deadline" view was stupid.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:45 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Does Jux have a crush on Semin? Why is she (? Not been here long but Jux is a she right? lol) calling him Sasha? That's a cute pet name

Old
04-22-2012, 01:46 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Sasha doesn't throw lots of hits, but he's a strong dude.

Russian stereotype is stereotypical.

Isn't the point to get faster and more skilled?
He still can be intimidated like I said I'm fine with him joining the team but I still think the team needs more overall grit especially if Clowe is departing. Jumbo can't kick everyone's ass.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:47 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

He can't I feel bad for Jumbo.. He looked so sad after the loss tonight.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:52 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
I've said this before, and I'm gonna say this again, DW please call Colorado about Matt Duchene. A pipe dream maybe, but he played a lot on the 4th line this year in Colorado and Joe Sacco doesn't like him. Give them a package with Clowe and get that speedy ****er.
No way Colorado gives up Duchene unless it's Vlasic +. And considering how poorly he played this season, there's no way I do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
Does Jux have a crush on Semin? Why is she (? Not been here long but Jux is a she right? lol) calling him Sasha? That's a cute pet name
MSB calls him Sasha too, don't make assumptions.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:52 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
And you won't be once you find that he is inconsistent, lazy, and just about the Russian version of Pat Falloon.
That's why if you do sign him, you keep your trade options open. A player like Semin is a guy you give a two or three year time period. He's a very talented player that a change of scenery will likely do wonders for. Now, he may wear out his welcome quickly but that's why you keep it short and keep your options open with him. Whoever signs Semin this off-season is going to get a great two or three years out of before he tapers off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The McMafia View Post
The more time that passes since the game tonight, and the more and more I think about it, the team was not built to win this year. Too many players in the wrong roles, and too many acquisitions that didn't pan out.

The roster needs some tweaking, but even moreso, the way that it is utilized needs to change.
Too many players playing new roles and roles that don't get the most out of them and playing a system that doesn't quite cater to their talents. They also got quite a bit of bad luck and just plain weren't that good either. It's unfortunate that that is what it is for this team this year but you move on and try to get better.

Quote:
I think it comes down to what next season is about. If you start the young goalies, I think you're saying the run is over..

Chicago might have nostaglic interest but I don't think Crawford has played his way out just yet. They can still win the PHX series.
Detroit and Philly would say otherwise as they had been contending for years without investing a lot in net or going young. Chicago is doing it now. Going cheap in net is not a death knell for a team's chances. In fact, this team would benefit greatly by reallocating Niemi's money into the forwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanca View Post

They need more players that can score goals. This team wasn't beat with physicality. They were beat because their team just isn't fast enough and isn't deep enough up front.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:55 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
I'm not a fan of Semin or anything but unless you've watched the player play regularly, you should lay off the stereotypes and stuff the media spews out. That's how Thornton became and still remain "The Choker" to some even though he's been much better in the playoffs lately. However, fans that don't even watch Thornton or the Sharks play in the playoffs just go "LOL Thornton choked again" when the Sharks bow out because that's his reputation however unfair. I don't watch Semin play much so I'm not gonna talk about what a heartless, lazy player he is because I'd be going off what his reputation is in the media.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:56 AM
Lebanezer

Quote:
No way Colorado gives up Duchene unless it's Vlasic +. And considering how poorly he played this season, there's no way I do that.
Never hurts to ask. No Vlasic, but they can have Demers or Braun for all I care, along with Clowe. We need younger forwards with skill.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:56 AM
exchequer

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this point but San Jose's 1st round exit has just made it harder to attract free agents. It's tough enough attracting FA's here. Now there's a situation where potential FA's have no idea what's going to happen. You can no longer sell them on SJ just missing one or two key pieces...

...and in the past, they might have gotten away with charging more for tickets but they can't do that next year based on the inferior product this year.

Old
04-22-2012, 01:57 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
They need more players that can score goals. This team wasn't beat with physicality. They were beat because their team just isn't fast enough and isn't deep enough up front.
While I agree that they need more players that can score goals the Sharks were pushed around infront of the net. When players like Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk and Jackman can keep your top 6 forwards out of the crease consistently you know there is an issue.

Last edited by Graveland: 04-22-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old
04-22-2012, 01:57 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

I don't mind going young but obviously if you get rid of nemo and say have two guys up who make roughly half his salary, one of them has got to be vet or the team will be relying on unproven guys..

Trade Nemo for Emery... Start Stalock or Sateri

Old
04-22-2012, 02:02 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
Never hurts to ask. No Vlasic, but they can have Demers or Braun for all I care, along with Clowe. We need younger forwards with skill.
Absolutely ask, but if Colorado insists on Vlasic, you back down.

A good guy to go after would be Brandon Dubinsky. He's had a horrid year, but I definitely see him bouncing back into a 50-60 point player. He's great defensively, versatile at the forward position, and Rangers fans all want him traded for scraps.

Another guy would be Magnus Paajarvi. He's had horrible luck this season; given crap ice-time with crap teammates and his on-ice shooting percentage was something stupid like 2.5% this season. I think a realistic trade would be something like MPS+3rd for Clowe.

And last is the obvious one, JVR. I don't know what it'd take, but I'd go after him with anything but Vlasic/Burns/Couture/1st.

Old
04-22-2012, 02:03 AM
Mafoofoo
Hockey

Quote:
Everyone calls him that. Even Ovechkin. But yeah he'd be a good guy to add for $5m.

Old
04-22-2012, 02:07 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
I believe Sasha is Alex in Russian.

Old
04-22-2012, 02:08 AM
sharkfan95
Stalock is the best

Quote:

And last is the obvious one, JVR. I don't know what it'd take, but I'd go after him with anything but Vlasic/Burns/Couture/1st.
JVR is injury prone.

Old
04-22-2012, 02:08 AM
Rickety Cricket

I haven't looked into specific players, but I would like more speed in the top six. I feel the downfall of the Sharks was due to slower players in the top six.

While I'm not a big fan of Niemi, I'd keep him unless you can find a certain upgrade.

Old
04-22-2012, 02:10 AM
sharkfan95
Stalock is the best

I'd trade Demers over Braun. Braun skating ability is what the sharks need......Clowe+Demer for Duchene i would do

Old
04-22-2012, 02:11 AM
Lebanezer

Quote:
Absolutely ask, but if Colorado insists on Vlasic, you back down.

A good guy to go after would be Brandon Dubinsky. He's had a horrid year, but I definitely see him bouncing back into a 50-60 point player. He's great defensively, versatile at the forward position, and Rangers fans all want him traded for scraps.

Another guy would be Magnus Paajarvi. He's had horrible luck this season; given crap ice-time with crap teammates and his on-ice shooting percentage was something stupid like 2.5% this season. I think a realistic trade would be something like MPS+3rd for Clowe.

Dubi's cap hit is a bit high. Not sure I would want to go there since he has so many more years, but if they were willing to take Clowe and Murray and give us a pick or decent forward prospect back I might be ok with it. Maybe Dubi and Zuccarello.

I don't think that Paajarvi has much value right now, so I would low-ball Edmonton for him. Maybe the 55th pick in this year's draft.

I'm all for acquiring JVR.

Old
04-22-2012, 02:12 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfan95 View Post
JVR is injury prone.
He's had one minor concussion, and he broke a foot. Hell, if anything that lowers his trade value and helps us. My point is that his upside and potential chemistry with Couture (because I think they'd be great) would be worth the risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
I haven't looked into specific players, but I would like more speed in the top six. I feel the downfall of the Sharks was due to slower players in the top six.

While I'm not a big fan of Niemi, I'd keep him unless you can find a certain upgrade.
I actually think Greiss can do it, providing one of the kids is ready. Greiss has played phenomenally considering how sparingly he was used and the fact that he's the type of goaltender that plays better once he gets into a rhythm. He's the last of the Strelow-trained, and that's something I value.

Closed Thread