HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens @ Rangers - Game 5

Old
04-22-2012, 06:48 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
How does anyone know how Rick Nash is going to react in the playoffs with just 4 playoff games on his resume? You want to take that risk? 6 years. $7.8M cap hit. What happens when he flames out in the playoffs and you're stuck with him for another 5 years? Good luck moving that contract. The same people wanting Nash,will be complaining about his lack of production.
Hey, this is a sport called hockey not some kind of wooddooo magic BS. I hate this kind of BS on this board.

Rich Nash is a great hockey player and Id like to have him on my team in any situation -- of course. Why wouldn't I???

Its perfectly possible that a trade can't be worked out. But that's another issue.

How about putting a team on the ice that can pass the puck up ice and attack?

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:11 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
Kovalev had a prime?
Kovalev was light years better than any current Rangers forward.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:13 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Good point. However, he's an elite goal scorer who we pinned our offensive hopes on during the regular season. We need him to produce when it really counts, no?
Hey, project Gaborik's playoffs over a full season and you get 16 goals. That's a real goal-scorer.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:19 AM
msv957

Couple of random thoughts

It would be nice if Stepan "steps" it up in this playoff series. He is getting plenty of ice time and power play minutes. At least the playoffs have been a great learning experience for Stepan

Say what you want about Dubinsky. He shows fire and emotion. He is just a streaky player. I'll take Dubinsky on my team anytime

It is too early too tell with Kreider. He doesn't like that big on the ice for a 6'2 player. Not sure if he should play in the AHL or not next year

MCD has a great compete level. You can see it. Go USA!!

McD and Girardi are solid, solid NHL players.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:33 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Aces View Post
We havent scored in 5 periods and in over 100 minutes. Almost every shot is right in his logo. We get a 3 on 2 and cannot complete the initial pass on 3 occasions. We dump the puck in and allow an easy clear repeatedly. We miss the net. We are never around to cash in on a rebound chance. We lose almost every important draw. We cannot hold the puck in on the blueline on the PP. We dump the puck in on the PP and let them get an easy clear. We have no sustained puck possession time on the PP.
Someone blame the problems on Torts

"Jess Rubenstein ‏ @TheProspectpark
·Question for Sunday: IF the NYR are eliminated by Ottawa would it be reason to fire John Tortorella?

Jess Rubenstein ‏ @TheProspectpark
Why not? Tom Renney was let go for doing more with less talent."

The Prospectpark believe that Torts and Sullivan are being outcoached by Paul MacLean

http://theprospectpark.blogspot.com/...ospect+Park%29

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:39 AM
eco's bones

It's not over and funny things can happen. The Rangers looked about as done as done could be against New Jersey going into game 6 in 1994. Losing Boyle certainly hurts. Neil has been a much larger factor in this series than any of our tougher players. Like him or not--it's true and it speaks to the mix of talent and grit it takes to win a championship. You can't just rely on out skilling other teams.

At the moment if I were to make an analysis/analogy the Rangers have not really as yet been able to up their level of play from the regular season. Maybe it's been the foot pedal to the floor all season long and the engine just won't go any harder. The Bruins last year though were on the verge of being knocked out several times and still won. They found a way.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:55 AM
Geffres
@geffres on twitter

its not looking good from here... but a man can pray.

Couple notes from last nights game:

-our powerplay is so bad because we either A) can't win the faceoff so we don't get puck possession in the offensive zone B) start with the puck in our zone and try to rush it ourselves then drop pass it off to someone else at center ice (how many times did they do this yesterday)

-Hank played FINE, one goal which was on a great shot, thats hockey, Anderson was the difference in this game he stood on his head

-Torts needs to stop messing with the lines, I always hated when he did that. We have played a full season, keep the lines that have got us up until this point even if we hit a little rough spot, just make MINOR changes

-McDonough was a bright spot for me, he is so good when he has the puck and his hands are great

-too early to tell on Kreider here

Last edited by Geffres: 04-22-2012 at 07:57 AM. Reason: kreider
Geffres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I'm thinking we force a Game 7. At that point it's a toss up.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:04 AM
MadHookUp

Torts gets a big knock from some people because he refuses to keep lines together for any long period time, messing with chemistry. But you have to give the man some credit. No matter how little he produces, John Mitchell consistently gets 2nd power play. He has gotten nearly 3.5 minutes on the power play in this series. Pure genius. Granted he has never scored a Power Play goal in his career as a Ranger, he must be due!

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:15 AM
EssendonBombers
classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
Torts gets a big knock from some people because he refuses to keep lines together for any long period time, messing with chemistry. But you have to give the man some credit. No matter how little he produces, John Mitchell consistently gets 2nd power play. He has gotten nearly 3.5 minutes on the power play in this series. Pure genius. Granted he has never scored a Power Play goal in his career as a Ranger, he must be due!
This reminds me of Krusty betting against the Globetrotters because the Generals were due.

EssendonBombers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:29 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

On a more positive note, McDonagh was flying all game long. Such a great skater.

As for everyone else...man the **** up, and force Game 7.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:35 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post

·Question for Sunday: IF the NYR are eliminated by Ottawa would it be reason to fire John Tortorella?

The Prospectpark believe that Torts and Sullivan are being outcoached by Paul MacLean

So what?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:45 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Hey, this is a sport called hockey not some kind of wooddooo magic BS. I hate this kind of BS on this board.

Rich Nash is a great hockey player and Id like to have him on my team in any situation -- of course. Why wouldn't I???

Its perfectly possible that a trade can't be worked out. But that's another issue.

How about putting a team on the ice that can pass the puck up ice and attack?
What are you talking about? English please.

There is this thing called the CBA which is expiring in 5 months. Do you even what that is?

Every move made by a team is based on the CBA. Its a huge commitment for a player who has never won a playoff game in his career.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:47 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

I can't believe the amount of counterfeit jerseys at MSG. Especially WC jerseys. Yuck.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post

He is, big time.

Torts has been out-coached all year when it comes to a team who doesn't play in to Torts' hands. The two biggest weaknesses he has as a coach are a.) as soon as a line starts slumping or the team has a bad game, he throws the lines in to turmoil and fails to return them to their prior state afterwards. I could understand shaking things up in a bad game, but put the damn lines back together the next game. Not to mention his shake-ups almost never work because when he mixes things up he tends to throw 3rd and 4th liners who might be having a good game defensively, on the second and 1st lines. However these guys still couldn't score to save a burning orphanage. He relies way too much on guys who can only be relied on not to let the other team score, versus helping themselves score. There is not enough top-6 talent on this team to do what he does, effectively.

Then b.) he has ZERO ability to adapt to the other team's system or game when his own isn't working or he is being out-coached. He is so stubborn it is beyond frustrating. He's like a child sitting there with his plastic mallet trying to smash that square peg in a round hole. Like people were saying last night, he'd rather take the 1-2 goal loss that is a "pat yourselves on the back for effort" rather than go for the gutsy moves that could put his team up, or match what the other team is bringing.

Yeah they were getting shots on Anderson last night, but how many of them were good shots of those 40? Five, ten? Ten would be generous. The team pre-March was moving the puck the best I've seen in years most nights. They were brilliant 5 on 5 at times, especially against teams his system works well on. Where has that team gone? That team was never really there against Ottawa in the regular season and it's not now. People say the regular season doesn't matter, playoffs are different, but Ottawa is proving sometimes it is the same, and one of the biggest reasons for that is because John "Safe is death" Tortorella is letting it be the same.

He could be a great coach if he would just learn to take risks or adapt to the situation. "Playing our game" is fine, but when "your game" consists of blown leads, letting the other team sniff comebacks even in a win, and relying on Brian Boyle to score all your GWG, you need to play a new game.

If John comes out in game 6 and changes how he handles Ottawa and makes a statement win, then does the same in game 7, win or lose, I will probably be less inclined to say he needs to go. The Capitals sat on Boudreau far too long with their first and second round exists which were very much him being out-coached a majority of the time. The Rangers should not do the same. This team is young, and has some potential. Fix the lack of offense, fix the face-offs, and if John doesn't want to learn to change what isn't working, fix him too.

04-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Ratelleitlikeitis

Some traffic in front of Anderson please...a little Avery/Marty stick twist please. Not really but you get my drift.
I'm tired of seeing two guys cycle below the goal line with no one in front. Everyone knows the result.
We rarely see the weak side point drop in for one timers. Risky for sure, but we need to try something to create a quality chance.

Get back to regular season lines...play your ***** off. Let's do this LGR.

Ratelleitlikeitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:06 AM
EEDAWGZ

yea Haohmaru , Blame it on the renovations , MSG seems to be getting a little cheap on us, they don't even give out take home Ranger cups anymore with your drink, now you get some disposable plastic garbage

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Captain Monglobster

The Rangers look gassed. Their entire offensive game stems mostly from creating turnovers and winning one on one battles. They are not winning 50/50 pucks anymore, they cant make simple passes to each other, and are a step behind in almost every situation.

Add to that Anderson decided to show up and we have ourselves in a tough spot. If Hank could score a goal now and then it would be nice.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
The fact he keeps playing him at all is baffling. This guy has cost the team several times and has done NOTHING offensively to make up for it. I understand keeping a guy around who is an offensive threat, but makes blunders now and again. The risk is worth the reward, but good God, John Mitchell is not one of those players. Zuccs going down hurt in that he and Kreider would be playing over Mitchell and Rupp when Hagelin gets back. Inserting Zucc and Hagelin in to this current line-up and losing Mitchell and Rupp already makes this team have a somewhat better chance at winning games. You have four lines that can actually play hockey and might score some goals in the bottom-6.

Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:14 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

The Rangers lost last night because:

1.) They were awful on face offs. Particularly the important ones
2.) There was NO ONE in front of Anderson
3.) Power play - I mean, can we get the ****ing puck in the zone, please? Jesus.
4.) All long distance shots. Very few quality chances.

Mixed feelings about this year. Looks like a good/close group, but I honestly feel like they overachieved and aren't really a 'built for the finals' team. Not enough secondary talent, no Malhotra/Gaustad/Laich that can win key draws, and not enough depth. Hopefully, they can pull together and win this round.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:20 AM
bigfatfist

Not a Rangers fan, but I'm sticking to my prediction of Rangers in 7. There's no way this team loses 3 in a row. Back to MSG for Game 7 and all bets are off.

bigfatfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I would never wish injury on Neil, and i'm not certain he meant to hurt Boyle. Guy does not have a track record as anything but a bit of a meathead, hard, clean hitter.

He is a bigger Brandon Prust.

To those who would advocate a "Righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent" though, i'd say just lay the clean body on the Sens in game 6. I think we can still win this.

04-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
It's not over until it's over, but if I see MDZ skate out of the zone across the red line and drop it for Richards one more time on the PP I'm going to flip out. It's not working, it hasn't worked all year. Try something new.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I would never wish injury on Neil, and i'm not certain he meant to hurt Boyle. Guy does not have a track record as anything but a bit of a meathead, hard, clean hitter.

He is a bigger Brandon Prust.

To those who would advocate a "Righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent" though, i'd say just lay the clean body on the Sens in game 6. I think we can still win this.
They should have been doing this all series, and outside of a few big hits, they haven't.

Staal and Stralman have probably been the most consistent. Callahan finishes checks, but he needs to throw some bigger hits. He is capable despite his size. If Stepan can level Neil, anyone on this team can.

Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Its unfortunate because if you'd told me that Henrik was going to post a .945 this series I would've been sure we'd win in 5 games.

Our offense has let us down at the worst of times. And I'm not going to blame Gaborik-Richards here because the fact of the matter is that Ottawa deserves some credit for the way that they have played.

Plus, we have not established a wave by wave attack for them to hold off, nor have we, in my personal opinion, implemented the right coaching schemes at the right times in order to win games.

Maybe it is partly the fault of the players. But both games 2 and 4 were lost by blowing leads, because we exhaled and allowed Ottawa to play offense for extended stretches. Sure, they got some lucky bounces game 2, but I think we have all expected more from our club than we have gotten so far.

I am prepared to be amazed by what happens next. If we win, great. If we lose, Sather needs to pursue a goal scorer. We have an abundance of young D and trading one of them won't forever cripple us. If Sauer is ready to come back next year we can re-sign Stralman, Bickel and can consider what we might get for Del Zotto or Staal(I think it could be substantial.)

I don't want to trade them. But Pitt didn't want to trade Gogo to get Neal either. Give to get.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote