HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Heritage Classic not on USA TV

Closed Thread

Old
11-20-2003, 06:50 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
Heritage Classic not on USA TV

This in a way disgusts me, but at the same time I understand it. As we know Saturday in College football day down south, and The hockey game could not find any television deal for the Classic... this is one of the biggest sporting events in history and it saddens me that so many people will not even be able to watch it. At the same time, those Yankees are crazy about their football, and I wouldnt really care if Daytona 500 took place under water to tell you the truth, If the Oilers were playing, I wouldnt tune in to the Daytona. Still sucks that its not televised in the states though.

Old
11-20-2003, 06:56 PM
WFHACommish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
This in a way disgusts me, but at the same time I understand it. As we know Saturday in College football day down south, and The hockey game could not find any television deal for the Classic... this is one of the biggest sporting events in history and it saddens me that so many people will not even be able to watch it. At the same time, those Yankees are crazy about their football, and I wouldnt really care if Daytona 500 took place under water to tell you the truth, If the Oilers were playing, I wouldnt tune in to the Daytona. Still sucks that its not televised in the states though.
i know what a joke!!!! guess i have to buy the nhl centre ice package...aah forget..i'll watch a tape of it

Old
11-20-2003, 06:58 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
there are kids in it

vCash: 1072
definitely shows where hockey falls in terms of american fans. football and other events always get the exposure, funny how bettman says the game is so much better now and look what happened here.

Old
11-20-2003, 07:00 PM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFHACommish
i know what a joke!!!! guess i have to buy the nhl centre ice package...aah forget..i'll watch a tape of it
Leave it to the NHL to not capitalize on such an event...I think this stems from the unexpected demand for this game, I think when they thought it up, they were crossing their fingers for a sellout and I don't think anyone ever thought they would get 700,000 requests for tix. Goes to show how much regard Gary and Bob hold for the city of Edmonton, The Edmonton Oilers, the great teams (both Edm & Mtl) and for the game itself!! What a bunch of crap!

Old
11-20-2003, 07:05 PM
The Rage

Hockey has a very small following in the states. The nhl likes to think of hockey as one of the four major sports, but if you look at the ratings it's more like the 10th most popular sport (if you count college seperate from professional). The nhl needs to improve its product and it needs to market its product properly. I don't know why hockey owners don't understand that a league with more offense means a league with higher profits. It's like they want to lose money. Everyone on this board knows hockey is great sport, even to the casual fan, as it has violence, speed, and remarkable skill. For some reason those who market the nhl are incapable of selling those points. Those who run the nhl need a wake up call.

Old
11-20-2003, 07:25 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy3650
Hockey has a very small following in the states. The nhl likes to think of hockey as one of the four major sports, but if you look at the ratings it's more like the 10th most popular sport (if you count college seperate from professional). The nhl needs to improve its product and it needs to market its product properly. I don't know why hockey owners don't understand that a league with more offense means a league with higher profits. It's like they want to lose money. Everyone on this board knows hockey is great sport, even to the casual fan, as it has violence, speed, and remarkable skill. For some reason those who market the nhl are incapable of selling those points. Those who run the nhl need a wake up call.
I think the ratings are worse than 10th, aren't they in the twenties?

I know for sure sure that Nascar blows hockey out of the water down there, wwe wrestling (not a sport, but whatever), golf, tennis, and a few others.

Old
11-20-2003, 07:33 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
I think the ratings are worse than 10th, aren't they in the twenties?

I know for sure sure that Nascar blows hockey out of the water down there, wwe wrestling (not a sport, but whatever), golf, tennis, and a few others.
I think we can all agree that regardless of hockey's exact position on the totem poll, it should be much higher considering the wonderfull aspects of the game.

Old
11-20-2003, 07:42 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
definitely shows where hockey falls in terms of american fans. football and other events always get the exposure, funny how bettman says the game is so much better now and look what happened here.
Exactly. I think the game is getting less and less coverage down south each year since Gretzky retired.

ESPN has scaled back their hockey coverage and for them (or any other network) not to broadcast a game like this shows how much they care about the game.

Old
11-20-2003, 07:43 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy3650
I think we can all agree that regardless of hockey's exact position on the totem poll, it should be much higher considering the wonderfull aspects of the game.
Totally.

I'm really not surprised that there's not a lot of tv coverage down in the states though, back in the 80's when there were so many Canadian teams winning the Cup the American public tuned hockey out. The Mtl/Cal series were the worst thing that ever happened to the nhl from their perspective.

Old
11-20-2003, 07:53 PM
Luoma

At least they could do like the CBC does with unpopular sports like cross country skiing and show the game after. Surely the ratings would better then those infomercials on late at night.

Old
11-20-2003, 08:00 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luoma
At least they could do like the CBC does with unpopular sports like cross country skiing and show the game after. Surely the ratings would better then those infomercials on late at night.
Susan Powter vs Col/Det?

That would be a close call. It would depend on what she was wearing.

Old
11-21-2003, 02:07 AM
Bohologo

Every now and then you get a reminder that things here are not the apex of civilized society: Jerry Springer, Rush Limbaugh, Coors, and yes, no televising of the HC.

The main problem (aside from the usual suspects: college football [not just a 'Yankee' sport; call some people that around here and you'll be handcuffed to a fence in Mississippi], NASCAR, warm weather, gun sports, etc.) is that People Here Just Don't Get It. Even if one of the teams were the Ranger$, people wouldn't watch it.

So I'll be a bar refugee on Saturday, trying to find a place that a) has NHL Center Ice, and b) where Cleetus will agree to switch the channel from Seniors Championship Bowling Pre-Season coverage.

Cross-eyed with hockey lust,
Boho

Old
11-21-2003, 05:32 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
there are kids in it

vCash: 1072
great post boho last thing i would do is call somebody from the south a yankee. anyways it gave me a chuckle. hope you can find the game, if monster truck is on, wrestle cleetus for that remote.

Old
11-21-2003, 05:35 AM
goldenchild

If you have Direct TV you can watch it on the NHL package, if not ESPN Classic will be showing both games next saturday.

Old
11-21-2003, 07:41 AM
McJadeddog

umm no offense to the americans on this board and all, but im GLAD that hockey hasnt cuaght on that much down there..... the american teams are vastly responsible for the economic woes of small market canadian teams (and small market american teams)

Old
11-21-2003, 09:16 AM
future consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
umm no offense to the americans on this board and all, but im GLAD that hockey hasnt cuaght on that much down there..... the american teams are vastly responsible for the economic woes of small market canadian teams (and small market american teams)
Um actually if hockey really caught on "down here" it would dramatically help teams like the Oilers. See if the NHL had a television contract like the NFL, each team would have alot more revenue thus stablizing franchises.

Also the NHL wanted the game to be on ESPN but prior contracts to college football wouldn't allow it. Good for me I get CBC and center ice.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:30 AM
Funkymoses

uh, yeah, guys, i'm not really sure what you expected. Though it's cool and outside and everything, it's a regular season hockey game between two Canadian teams.

And this Saturday is a *bad* Saturday to be competing against college football... rivalry week and all. Like Flames-Oilers except you went to school at Oilers U for four years (or six) and you only play once a year and the other team is Satan personified.

aaaah! FOOTBALL!

Old
11-21-2003, 09:56 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymoses
Though it's cool and outside and everything, it's a regular season hockey game between two Canadian teams.
I'm going to have to agree with Funkymoses here. If it were the playoffs or something, I can see a complaint. But it's a regular season game with a nice gimmick between two teams whose fans this network doesn't reach. How is that more important than televising rivalries that have been going on for years to people in those markets? No matter what the sport.

I might watch the game if it were on live here, but I'm not crying that I can't. I really don't care that much, and I'm a hockey fan.

Old
11-21-2003, 10:41 AM
goldenchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymoses
uh, yeah, guys, i'm not really sure what you expected. Though it's cool and outside and everything, it's a regular season hockey game between two Canadian teams.

And this Saturday is a *bad* Saturday to be competing against college football... rivalry week and all. Like Flames-Oilers except you went to school at Oilers U for four years (or six) and you only play once a year and the other team is Satan personified.

aaaah! FOOTBALL!
true nobody would watch a game between the habs and Oilers over U of M vs OSU and USC vs UCLA anyways. I will be flipping back and forth myself I have some money on Michigan this Week.

Old
11-21-2003, 11:13 AM
FacelessButcher

The Oilers are spending close to $3 million on the project, and they expect to net at least a $2-million profit when all is said and done. Singer Tom Cochrane is among entertainers hired by the Oilers, who will make the appearance of others a surprise.

from http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=61340

Closed Thread