HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Seth Jones - Portland Winterhawks (2013 Draft)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2012, 11:42 PM
  #226
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33
 
scoutman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Currently no one. Maybe Pronger???
this kid is awsome, I have seen him a number of times and all i can say is wow, he is big but for his size he is smooth, fast and agile on his skates, slick puck skills, great vision and passing, an amazing accurate and hard slapshot, so smart on the ice, all ways seems to make the right play, able to pinch in at the right time, has great positioning in the defensive end, controls the play with the puck, getting his physical game down...this guy is the total package and is a future star in the making IMO. He could easily knock Barkov out for 2nd overall in the draft next year, and who knows Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov, he is so good the sky is the limit for this kid.

If i was to compare this kid it would be to a young pronger, I know the pronger comparison gets thrown around way to easy from just like Erik Johnson and stuff...but Jones is the real deal, this kid is the closest thing to Pronger I have seen.

scoutman1 is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 11:51 PM
  #227
Leafs03
Registered User
 
Leafs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto On
Country: Albania
Posts: 1,618
vCash: 500
Its amazing how this kid chose Hockey over basketball when his dad had a pretty good career in the nba. Just shows how much he loves the game and how much his interest is towards hockey! we need more players like him!

Leafs03 is offline  
Old
04-18-2012, 11:59 PM
  #228
DangerMan
@danlizee
 
DangerMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Currently no one. Maybe Pronger???
Even Pronger didn't become Pronger right away. Pronger was drafted as a gangly kid who needed to fill out in order to become "Chris Pronger". Seth Jones is almost a finished product. All he's going to need is reps in order to handle the physicality and speed of the pro game.

DangerMan is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 12:08 AM
  #229
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Markham and Lawrence
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
this kid is awsome, I have seen him a number of times and all i can say is wow, he is big but for his size he is smooth, fast and agile on his skates, slick puck skills, great vision and passing, an amazing accurate and hard slapshot, so smart on the ice, all ways seems to make the right play, able to pinch in at the right time, has great positioning in the defensive end, controls the play with the puck, getting his physical game down...this guy is the total package and is a future star in the making IMO. He could easily knock Barkov out for 2nd overall in the draft next year, and who knows Mackinnon, Jones, Barkov, he is so good the sky is the limit for this kid.

If i was to compare this kid it would be to a young pronger, I know the pronger comparison gets thrown around way to easy from just like Erik Johnson and stuff...but Jones is the real deal, this kid is the closest thing to Pronger I have seen.

I have heard exactly the similiar things about Aaron Ekblad.

who would u say is farther in developement, Ekblad or Jones?

Fearless Leaf* is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 08:51 AM
  #230
shello
@WShello9
 
shello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ile-Perrot, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
I have heard exactly the similiar things about Aaron Ekblad.

who would u say is farther in developement, Ekblad or Jones?
That's hard...... I'd take Ekblad mainly just because I've seen him a lot more.

shello is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 09:17 AM
  #231
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
That's hard...... I'd take Ekblad mainly just because I've seen him a lot more.
I though Ekblad was 14' draft class???

StrongIslanders90 is online now  
Old
04-19-2012, 03:56 PM
  #232
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I though Ekblad was 14' draft class???
He's just answering who is further ahead in development.

Garyboy is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 04:22 PM
  #233
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33
 
scoutman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
I have heard exactly the similiar things about Aaron Ekblad.

who would u say is farther in developement, Ekblad or Jones?
I like Jones more than Ekblad...personally it is arguable maybe...I think Jones has more to his game than Ekblad has both are amazing young prospects...I personally think Jones might have more skill.

scoutman1 is offline  
Old
04-21-2012, 09:53 PM
  #234
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
Its amazing how this kid chose Hockey over basketball when his dad had a pretty good career in the nba. Just shows how much he loves the game and how much his interest is towards hockey! we need more players like him!
Story is that Popeye actually went to Joe Sakic and asked him what he should do because his kid wanted to become a hockey player.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 10:28 AM
  #235
weems
Registered User
 
weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,052
vCash: 500
Honestly Jones might be the most explosive skater Ive seen in the past 5 years.

weems is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 03:19 PM
  #236
30whales
Registered User
 
30whales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 166
vCash: 500
Hopefully we find out soon what he decides to do next year. Have a feeling I will not like it but there is always the chance that I will

30whales is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 03:23 PM
  #237
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50


still has a kids face.

Will end up 7'2"

No I think he'll be 6'6" 250 at his prime height/weight

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 03:24 PM
  #238
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
And he's most likely to unseat Evander Kane as the highest black NHL draftee ever.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 03:36 PM
  #239
Kiss My Rask
Loui Loui, ohhh no
 
Kiss My Rask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wakefield, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post


still has a kids face.

Will end up 7'2"

No I think he'll be 6'6" 250 at his prime height/weight
holy crap

Kiss My Rask is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 03:40 PM
  #240
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Password is Taco View Post
holy crap
Popeye Jones was 6'8" 250.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 04:30 PM
  #241
Pentothal
Listen with one ear
 
Pentothal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: It's not even close
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,908
vCash: 500
Really impressed with this kid. Hope he fulfills his massive potential.

Pentothal is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 04:41 PM
  #242
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,103
vCash: 69
Is it weird that even after watching him play 4 times I hadn't realized he was African American? Lately there's been a lot of African American talent coming up into the NHL

Kane
The Stewarts
the Subbans
Etem
Smith Pelly
Dumba
Jones

good to see.

DuckJet is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 04:45 PM
  #243
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Is it weird that even after watching him play 4 times I hadn't realized he was African American? Lately there's been a lot of African American talent coming up into the NHL

Kane
The Stewarts
the Subbans
Etem
Smith Pelly
Dumba
Jones

good to see.
Darnell Nurse

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 04:54 PM
  #244
Jepprey
Creeper
 
Jepprey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,655
vCash: 500
Seth Jones is a monster. That is all. Him and Trouba on the ice together at the tourney was a treat to watch.



Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Is it weird that even after watching him play 4 times I hadn't realized he was African American? Lately there's been a lot of African American talent coming up into the NHL

Kane
The Stewarts
the Subbans
Etem
Smith Pelly
Dumba
Jones

good to see.
I beleive Dumba is a filipino.

Jepprey is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 04:58 PM
  #245
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
Seth Jones is a monster. That is all. Him and Trouba on the ice together at the tourney was a treat to watch.

I beleive Dumba is a filipino.
To give DuckJet credit you can only see the tone of his skin when he's playing but he is Malaysian.


Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 04:58 PM
  #246
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,103
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
Seth Jones is a monster. That is all. Him and Trouba on the ice together at the tourney was a treat to watch.





I beleive Dumba is a filipino.
Really? Well...more power to him that's pretty uncommon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
To give DuckJet credit you can only see the tone of his skin when he's playing but he is Malaysian.

Two questions...

would be be the first Malaysian to be taken?
and would he be the highest to be selected?

DuckJet is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 05:00 PM
  #247
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Really? Well...more power to him that's pretty uncommon.



Two questions...

would be be the first Malaysian to be taken?
and would he be the highest to be selected?
Of Malaysian heritage? I would guess/assume so. May be the highest drafted of Asian descent.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 05:02 PM
  #248
WonderTwinsUnite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Delta, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Of Malaysian heritage? I would guess/assume so. May be the highest drafted of Asian descent.
Unless you think he's going top 3, Paul Kariya says otherwise.

WonderTwinsUnite is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 05:05 PM
  #249
Jepprey
Creeper
 
Jepprey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
To give DuckJet credit you can only see the tone of his skin when he's playing but he is Malaysian.

Don't really want to take the thread off-topic. His mother (Treena) of filipino heritage, and his father (Charlie) is white. He's already pretty big news in the Philippines. Because he will potentially be the first filipino NHL player. Albeit only half.

Jepprey is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 05:07 PM
  #250
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Country: South Africa
Posts: 39,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
Don't really want to take the thread off-topic. His mother (Treena) of filipino heritage, and his father (Charlie) is white. He's already pretty big news in the Philippines. Because he will potentially be the first filipino NHL player. Albeit only half.
Dumba is an islamic Malay name though. I would gamble that his grandfather is Malaysian.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.