HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Malhotra

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2003, 09:21 AM
boxall9

vCash: 500
Malhotra

I just saw Columbus claimed him off waivers, too bad the Oilers didn't get him. He is a good young centre with size and potential. He played in New York where nobody does well and in Dallas he was buried on the 4th line.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=61346

Old
11-21-2003, 09:34 AM
WFHACommish

I'm sure EDM would have picked him up had they not sign Oates already.
He makes $1M could regenerate his career in EDM.

But Lowe now wouldn't pick him off, since he signed Oates now.

Old
11-21-2003, 09:47 AM
theoil

Out of curiosity can somebody explain to me how the waiver wire works. Is it like a game of Jeapordy where the first person to hit the buzzer wins or is there a pecking order predetermined by standings or something? Thanks

Old
11-21-2003, 09:59 AM
boxall9

The order is predetermined by standings. Malhotra only makes $1 million, minus games played already, I think he would be quite affordable, he was great in junior and I think the Edmonton style would suit him. Oates centring the 1st line and Malhotra centring the 2nd (as lon as he played well) and move York back to wing. If Malhotra starts slow, bump him to 3rd line.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php3?pid=25931

Old
11-21-2003, 10:30 AM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
Out of curiosity can somebody explain to me how the waiver wire works. Is it like a game of Jeapordy where the first person to hit the buzzer wins or is there a pecking order predetermined by standings or something? Thanks
This is just by memory, but I think it is correct:

If a player is sent through waivers the league office, and in turn all the teams, are notified.

Teams have two days to file a claim on the player, with the NHL office, by fax. If more than one team places a claim on the same player ... the one that finished worse in the standings in the previous year gets him. They pay a fee to the team they claimed him from ... this fee varies widely depending upon the age, position and experience of the player. The CBA has tables that enable you to calculate it.

If the player is waived mid-season (I thikn after the end of November) then the pecking order is determined by the position of the team in the standings, by points-per-game.

If you're really keen you can check out Article 13 of the CBA. Here's a link: http://letsgopens.com/nhl_cba.php

Old
11-21-2003, 10:31 AM
Jim_Harnock

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
If only one team makes a claim, they get the player. If more than one team makes a claim for the player, he goes to the team that is currently lowest in the standings of the group that has made claims. I.E. if the 3rd, 9th and 14th placed teams all make a waiver claim for Dick Head, he'd go to the 14th placed team.

Old
11-21-2003, 10:34 AM
USC Trojans
AD

he was brought up way too fast by the Rangers...really hurt his development. I don't know how much he can help the Oilers, especially how we have equally better youngsters down the middle in Stoll and Sarno.
Doesn't matter. we have Oates, and I'm happy. This week just gets better and better.

Old
11-21-2003, 11:47 AM
theoil

Thanks everybody. I figured it had to be related to standings but never really understood.

Closed Thread