HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part List of candidates for GM and Coach Part V

View Poll Results: Choose your Destiny
Claude Julien 29 28.16%
Alain Vigneault 74 71.84%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2012, 07:07 PM
  #951
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
Not making an argument for or against Roy as a coach.

But since when do any teams interview coaches based on the fact that fans would choose them?
Yeah, that seems like a terrible reason to consider Roy, no offense.

There is legitimate reasons to consider Roy. While his CHL success doesn't instantly translate, it is still experience on the resume. Dale Hunter shows the transition isn't easy, but not unheard of. And yes, the fact that Roy played for the Habs (and won with them) does matter, albeit (hopefully) slightly.

But being loved by a certain sector of fans shouldn't be even close to a reason. He was the last true great player we have had, for many of us the only Habs superstar during our lifetimes. And he was a personality. None of this should matter in making the decision though

Et le But is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 07:15 PM
  #952
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
He's exactly the type of GM Montreal needs. Analytical, a shrewd judge of talent, and not hung up on reputaitons.
Oh boy... I wouldn't know where to start. The good news for you is that he might become available, although I wouldn't want him at all.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 07:28 PM
  #953
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
Lol. Awesome man. I agree.
You're not the only one
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Pollack would've never won ANY popularity contests........
Until he started winning, then he wouldn't have been able to lose one

AntonCH is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 07:28 PM
  #954
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Oh boy... I wouldn't know where to start. The good news for you is that he might become available, although I wouldn't want him at all.
Why not?

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 07:34 PM
  #955
greyboy67
Registered User
 
greyboy67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
Doesn't he have a history with Montreal through relatives or something?
His older brother Murray won 4 Stanley Cups as a forward on those legendary teams of the Seventies.

I don't know if Doug Wilson would be available, but if he is Molson should grab him immediately.

Nice piece from the San Jose Mercury on Doug Wilson:

http://www.mercurynews.com/tim-kawak...oug-wilson-and

After 10 years as Sharks GM, Wilson (and the Sharks) might be up for a move. He probably doesn't speak French. Does anyone know for sure.

As someone else mentioned, Wilson brokered one of the best deals the Canadiens made in recent years when he traded Josh Gorges and the #22 pick in the 2007 Draft—Max Pacioretty—to Montreal for Craig Rivet. But that was in a year the Sharks were a Stanley Cup favorite and wanted to add a veteran for a final push. He gambled and lost.

Let's see how aggressive the Habs are willing to be.

greyboy67 is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 07:37 PM
  #956
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
It's pretty hillarious to see how far people will stretch the truth and make stuff up to support their own little world. No really, I don't mean that as an insult, but there is absolutely no logic there and mostly, nothing factual aside from the fact that he was on staff.

Let's see... Let's try using the same "logic". Carey Price is the 28th worst starting goaltender in the NHL because he's the starter (staff) of the team who finished 28th in the NHL. Makes sense, right?

Who's to say that BriseBois didn't speak against that trade for Gomez? Who's to say that Gainey (and Gauthier) didn't listen to his opinion but went against it? But he did make it work under the cap, didn't he?

With the same "logic", Trevor Timmins must be awful at his job if he's been consulted, right? I mean... McDonagh was part of that deal!

Come on folks. You're reaching for straws here. It's so ridiculous that it's funny!
You are hilarious. You acuse others of being out of touch and yet you are the one making strange defensive statements regarding BriseBois. It isn't the first time I've seen you pushing this guy and defending him...But hey, I'm sure he was begging Gainey not to trade for Gomez, and Gainey just ignored him right?

waffledave is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 07:52 PM
  #957
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyboy67 View Post
As someone else mentioned, Wilson brokered one of the best deals the Canadiens made in recent years when he traded Josh Gorges and the #22 pick in the 2007 Draft—Max Pacioretty—to Montreal for Craig Rivet. But that was in a year the Sharks were a Stanley Cup favorite and wanted to add a veteran for a final push. He gambled and lost.
Like every team who gets a rental? How about the trove that was given up for Kovalchuk and Hossa?

If being a legit cup contender for the better part of 6 years means that I have to trade Gorges and a low first round pick every year - sign me up. His job is to bring the team to the playoffs - and he did it perfectly. McLellan's uninspired hockey is the biggest detriment.

I can't think of any team that has been as consistent as the Sharks and hasn't won it yet. Wilson's been a legit GM, with a team like Montreal that has no financial issues he'd be golden.

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 07:54 PM
  #958
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Like every team who gets a rental? How about the trove that was given up for Kovalchuk and Hossa?

If being a legit cup contender for the better part of 6 years means that I have to trade Gorges and a low first round pick every year - sign me up.

I can't think of any team that has been as consistent as the Sharks and hasn't won it yet. Wilson's been a legit GM, with a team like Montreal that has no financial issues he'd be golden.
Not to mention that Gorges was an undrafted free agent low on the depth chart. His progression as a player has been better than expected.

It would be equivalent to us trade a guy like Diaz.

waffledave is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 07:58 PM
  #959
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Apparently Doug Wilson has been fired. He's no longer on the staff page : http://sharks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=61571

Em Ancien is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 08:09 PM
  #960
bjac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Apparently Doug Wilson has been fired. He's no longer on the staff page : http://sharks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=61571
If this is the case, its great new for the Habs. He would be my frontrunner behind Bergevin if he is added to the list. The guy was never able to get the Sharks over the hump, but he build a perenial contender down there. Hes a good GM.

bjac is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 08:11 PM
  #961
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I disagree.

Marleau has a 6% drop in playoffs point production from his regular season. But, on the flip side, he actually has a 6% increase in goal scoring in the playoffs. Very few players actually produce more in the playoffs.

Thornton ? A 25% drop.

Thornton is the player with skill, size and intelligence who should perform a heck of a lot better. But he has absolutely no competitive drive. He just doesn't want it at all.

In 2006 and 2010, Marleau was actually pretty damn good for a player of his standing/skill.
Count post lockout only and Thornton comes out way better. The 2004 and 1999 postseasons (broken ribs, and rookie) skew his career stats greatly because they are 13 games and its a big amount when you look at how much they count towards his total career playoff games.

Beakermania* is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 08:11 PM
  #962
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
If this is the case, its great new for the Habs. He would be my frontrunner behind Bergevin if he is added to the list. The guy was never able to get the Sharks over the hump, but he build a perenial contender in San Jose. Hes a good GM.
Just noticed that John Ferguson Jr is head of pro scouting. Really? If Wilson hired him, sure says alotta about his talent evaluation skills. Naw, now I'm convinced I don't want Wilson.

onice is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 08:12 PM
  #963
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Yeah, that seems like a terrible reason to consider Roy, no offense.

There is legitimate reasons to consider Roy. While his CHL success doesn't instantly translate, it is still experience on the resume. Dale Hunter shows the transition isn't easy, but not unheard of. And yes, the fact that Roy played for the Habs (and won with them) does matter, albeit (hopefully) slightly.

But being loved by a certain sector of fans shouldn't be even close to a reason. He was the last true great player we have had, for many of us the only Habs superstar during our lifetimes. And he was a personality. None of this should matter in making the decision though
Not in my lifetime. I've witnessed every Cup win since the 1940s. I was greatly impressed by his winning 10 straight overtime games but the outburst that led to his quitting on the team soured me on him permanently.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 08:13 PM
  #964
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Just noticed that John Ferguson Jr is head of pro scouting. Really? If Wilson hired him, sure says alotta about his talent evaluation skills. Naw, now I'm convinced I don't want Wilson.
JFJ is a great scout.

A crappy GM, but a great scout.

Beakermania* is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 08:15 PM
  #965
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Other Wilson Trades besides his Max Pac mistake.

- stole thornton from the bruins.
- stole dan boyle from the lightning

- got dany heatley for what was seen as a steal.
- when heatley declined moved him out for Havlat.

- traded Vesa Toskala for picks from the Leafs including 13 overall (Lars eller).
- traded 13 overall plus other picks to move up to 9th overall and draft Logan Couture.

Beakermania* is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 08:19 PM
  #966
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,798
vCash: 500
The Habs could do a lot worse than Wilson
a LOT worse

AntonCH is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 08:20 PM
  #967
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Apparently Doug Wilson has been fired. He's no longer on the staff page : http://sharks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=61571
I just clicked on that page, he's still there...

Jack Bourdain is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 08:21 PM
  #968
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
I just clicked on that page, he's still there...
Looks like they put him back. He wasn't there before, you can go see on the Sharks board.

Em Ancien is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 08:21 PM
  #969
pine*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Apparently Doug Wilson has been fired. He's no longer on the staff page : http://sharks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=61571
Lol he's back on the page now. False alarm.

pine* is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 08:22 PM
  #970
donghabs98
Moderator
 
donghabs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,475
vCash: 364
Wilsion is the type of GM i lke
He makes the moves needed to make the team better

his trade history is better then any of the last couple Montreal GM's here

donghabs98 is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 08:23 PM
  #971
68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
I just clicked on that page, he's still there...
They updated the page. He was not there earlier.

Anyway if a GM is fired, the media will know it before the admin of a website decides to remove him from the staff page.

68 is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 08:45 PM
  #972
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
Wilsion is the type of GM i lke
He makes the moves needed to make the team better

his trade history is better then any of the last couple Montreal GM's here
Rivet for Pacioretty and Gorges both say Hi

JHabs is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 08:47 PM
  #973
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Rivet for Pacioretty and Gorges both say Hi
One bad trade does not a "trade history" make.

Every GM has a bad trade or two... but Wilson has more good than bad.

His team hasn't been at the top of the league most years since the lockout by accident.

Beakermania* is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 08:50 PM
  #974
68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Rivet for Pacioretty and Gorges both say Hi
It was Rivet for a 1st round pick and an undrafted bottom pairing defenceman at the time.

68 is offline  
Old
04-22-2012, 09:10 PM
  #975
odishabs
Registered User
 
odishabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,966
vCash: 500
does Wilson Speak french?

odishabs is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.