HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

MTL First round pick to get better now?

Old
04-11-2012, 07:50 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
You're quickly going to bring up two kinds of players. One, players who are simply not on the market at virtually any realistic price. Their teams want to keep them. Their teams will keep them.

Two, you find guys with major red flags. Either they are shortly to become unrestricted free agents, or they are on very high contracts and don't always show up.

Young top-flight centers on good contracts are incredibly hard to pry away in trades. No one has an excess of them, except Pittsburgh, and they aren't moving them.

Some suspect Colorado might listen to offers for a center, but I tend to disagree. I think that Stastny isn't going anywhere.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 07:13 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef18 View Post
Should montreal trade their first round pick (3rd overall) to try and get better now?

-What would you give for that pick?
-What should Montreal try and get in return? A real #1 center would be awesome in my opinion...

I'd be ready to do some kind of overpayment if i was Montreal's GM, for a guy like Jonathan Toews, I don't think a logical price exists for Toews because he's their franchise player, most likely will end his career there.

I thought of Getzlaf at some point, but i'm not sure i'd give up so much considering he has one year of contract left. (will be UFA).

Eric Staal? Don't like his contact :/

What about tyler seguin? I know we would probably have to overpay again, but that would be awesome, something like

To MTL
Tyler Seguin

To BOS
1st 2012
2nd 2012
Jared Tinordi

Give me your thoughts!
Habs best keep the pick and draft either Forsberg or Galchenyuk.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 07:31 PM
TrueGrit

No, their best players are still young in their careers, develop from within. They're in a great position to do so.

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 07:57 PM
LotteryForLife*

E.Staal or Nash are possibilities

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 08:19 PM
mytor4*

The more i search around i'm starting to change my opinion on who the Habs to draft.
I was leaning a lot towards Grigs and if he was gone by our pick than Gally.
I'm now leaning towards forsberg who i believe will be around come our pick.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 08:28 PM
FanHabtic

Habs should be drafting one of Grigorenko/Galyenchuk or even Murray. Habs haven't had an opportunity to draft this early in over 30 years!

To trade it now would be idiotic given that the Habs core is very young (Price / Subban / MaxPac).

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
We were looking for multiple quality future roster players for Nash. That hasn't changed. Just 'cause they come via draft picks instead of existing prospects doesn't mean the price has abruptly gone down.
i know that's what they were asking for...
and that at the deadline, there was some nibbling by opposing GM's...

but short of Burke going crazy to get Nash, which is possible, I think you might want to temper your expectations.

Nash is 27, making 7.5-8.2M$/year for 6 more seasons, with a cap hit of 7.8M$.
This, despite only once being over 70pts, and only twice hitting 40 goals even though he's known as a goal scorer.

with the pressure/excitement of the regular season playoff race gone, I think Howson and the Jackets are going to find a much less aggressive market for Nash this summer... especially given how much the players seems destined to be moved.

I may be wrong, but I'll be surprised if Nash returns a top-3 pick value straight up.

From a habs POV, I wouldn't do the 3rd for Nash straight up... i might do it with the LAK pick added in, or perhaps with Columbus taking back cap dumps (Kaberle/Bourque) in the process.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:44 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

The pick shouldn't be going anywhere. Just draft well, develop and promote.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Well, if I could get a top young player with the pick, sure, trade it and skip the couple extra years of developing. But of course, no team is going to give us that. But if it comes to older players or depth players, of course don't trade it for that, no matter the quantity. The older or depthier guys are UFA targets.

Habs have ample cap space (will have ampler once Gomez is disposed of), and getting better in the short term is best done via the free agent market, whilst in parallel keeping the picks and building for the future at the same time.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

What do you guys think we should add to the 3rd overall pick in order to get Matt Duchene from Colorado? Or is he worth it? IMO, definitely.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

but short of Burke going crazy to get Nash, which is possible, I think you might want to temper your expectations.

This, despite only once being over 70pts, and only twice hitting 40 goals even though he's known as a goal scorer.

with the pressure/excitement of the regular season playoff race gone, I think Howson and the Jackets are going to find a much less aggressive market for Nash this summer... especially given how much the players seems destined to be moved.

I may be wrong, but I'll be surprised if Nash returns a top-3 pick value straight up.

From a habs POV, I wouldn't do the 3rd for Nash straight up... i might do it with the LAK pick added in, or perhaps with Columbus taking back cap dumps (Kaberle/Bourque) in the process.
Considering what the Rangers were offering and Columbus said no and you say Bourque is a salary dump discredits you.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:51 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
What do you guys think we should add to the 3rd overall pick in order to get Matt Duchene from Colorado? Or is he worth it? IMO, definitely.
We should add Zero. If the Avs want that pick it's going to cost them. If not it's fine we get to draft a good player for the position we are in desperate need of .

Old
04-22-2012, 07:53 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

I don't want Nash period.

Old
04-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Haaabs

Trading a draft pick for a roster player means we are going to get ripped off. I'd rather take a chance on a kid and maybe end up with elite talent, than getting ripped off.

Besides, Colorado would be stupid to trade Duchene and would be stupid to give up what they'd ask for to acquire him.

Haaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 04:15 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
I don't think many teams would be looking to trade for a center with a pick that probably guarantees them either Grigorenko or Galenchyuk.

The Montreal scouting staff is probably looking at video after video of both these players decided which one compliments Cole and Pacioretty the best.

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:09 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
You're quickly going to bring up two kinds of players. One, players who are simply not on the market at virtually any realistic price. Their teams want to keep them. Their teams will keep them.

Two, you find guys with major red flags. Either they are shortly to become unrestricted free agents, or they are on very high contracts and don't always show up.

Young top-flight centers on good contracts are incredibly hard to pry away in trades. No one has an excess of them, except Pittsburgh, and they aren't moving them.

Some suspect Colorado might listen to offers for a center, but I tend to disagree. I think that Stastny isn't going anywhere.
Yeah all 3 of our centers would basically cost a proven winger of similar age or a serious package and over payment. Something including a NHL ready blue-chip wing prospect then add.

Stastny's contract is not an issue for us and we seen him regain a 70 point pace for the later half of the season. He also has a fairly unnoticed ability to turn third liners into 20+ goal scorers..

Duchene is such a question mark we would be afraid of underselling him. O'Reilly probably has the least red flags but hes a second line center right now not a 70+ point 1st line center even though his defense makes up for 10-20 less points. He could turn into a 70 point two way guy but he was never projected as that. The best thing you can say is that hes damn close to being a Selke worthy second line center at 21. Could that mean he has a higher ceiling? Sure.. Want to bet on it?

The safest bet for us if we were to trade one would be O'Reilly for Ryan or something similar. Then hoping that stacking Duchene + Stastny with clear cut top 6 wingers would allow them to succeed. After that, going out and getting a real defensive 3rd line center by trade or through free-agency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
MTL only has one proven first line winger.. Which means you guys probably should either draft a center or a wing. All in all I don't think two teams who are weak at top line talent on their wings make good trading partners.

In order to trade a center and have it fit our needs your not going to like the asking price.

Max Pac

for

O'Reilly

Rediculous?

If you want a quick fix you have to over pay for it. Especially when your talking centers. Otherwise why should we do it? Or you could just DRAFT one of the centers at No. 3 and rebuild like we have been.

Teams that fit the Avs as trading partners are teams that are weak at center and strong at wing, but not going to get the center they need in the draft. One of the best examples is ANA.. They have prospect depth and roster depth on the wing. That's why I use Ryan as an example.

Last edited by CobraAcesS: 04-23-2012 at 05:38 AM.
CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 08:28 AM
ReVeuF

I am not for a trade to be better right now, it will end up as always being Habs 6-8th in conference and not make them a contender.

Longer rebuild please ! Slowly but surely !

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote