HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sens @ Rangers - Game 5

Old
04-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Dorado*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post

Drafting Bob Sanguinetti over Giroux.. the reason the Rangers won't make it out of the first round this year?
How the hell did everyone pass on Giroux ? Where was he like 18-19 overall ?

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
Don't know if he went to Ottawa, but he is definitely out - usually people with concussions if they're serious shouldn't fly.

NBC is also reporting Alfredsson practiced and may play. Though I think the more important thing is Hagelin is back.
This was probably the plan all along. The NHL offices phoned up to Ottawa and said don't play Alfie until game 6 when Hagelin is back. We don't want NY fans coming here with pitchforks and torches.

04-22-2012, 08:55 PM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
How the hell did everyone pass on Giroux ? Where was he like 18-19 overall ?
Don't know, but you're drafting 19 year old's. Some are late bloomers, and some high draft picks wind up as busts because they weren't very good, but they were bigger and faster than the competition as teens because they developed younger.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Dorado*

Quote:
Don't know, but you're drafting 19 year old's. Some are late bloomers, and some high draft picks wind up as busts because they weren't very good, but they were bigger and faster than the competition as teens because they developed younger.
Yeah I understand the whole size queen thing in all pro sports .
I looked up Giroux 22 nd overall and was passed over in the OHL draft to boot .
Boy this guy proved a lot of People wrong .
He's a cocky SOB who chirps a lot of crap but BOY HE CAN BACK IT UP THIS YEAR .
The way Giroux runs the PP is what I dreamed BR could do ..... Sadly mistaken

Old
04-22-2012, 09:04 PM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Yeah I understand the whole size queen thing in all pro sports .
I looked up Giroux 22 nd overall and was passed over in the OHL draft to boot .
Boy this guy proved a lot of People wrong .
He's a cocky SOB who chirps a lot of crap but BOY HE CAN BACK IT UP THIS YEAR .
The way Giroux runs the PP is what I dreamed BR could do ..... Sadly mistaken
He's a little like Callahan but with more touch and skill.

Old
04-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Funny I think he is nothing like Callahan and has a METRIC TON more touch and skill.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:10 PM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Funny I think he is nothing like Callahan and has a METRIC TON more touch and skill.
Don't quite get the Callahan bashing on these boards. He's done a lot with a little, unlike a lot of Rangers historically. He's being asked to do things on this team due to their overall lack of talent up-front that's not in his make-up. He's a character guy but on a good offensive team he's a complementary player.

Old
04-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Don't quite get the Callahan bashing on these boards. He's done a lot with a little, unlike a lot of Rangers historically. He's being asked to do things on this team due to their overall lack of talent up-front that's not in his make-up. He's a character guy but on a good offensive team he's a complementary player.
I'm not bashing him, I'm stating a fact. They are two players that are nothing alike.

If you want to argue who has better leadership, intangibles, or who looks better in a dress...whatever.

But the skill levels are not even comparable.

Old
04-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

If the Sens do win..I'd be hoping for the Devs and Caps to advance...so that the Sens can face Philly and people see what Anderson's stats look like against a real offense.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:15 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Thats crazy Rupp is way to slow to play on the top 6. Richards and Gaborik struggles are not because of anyone but THEMSELVES. They both shy away from contact and dont win puck battles on a regular basis. Hagelin has saved the both of them having him on there line to literally forecheck, create turnovers and create plays. Hes is the best option to play with them no question and Torts has made the correct move in that respect. Rupp is not a power forward capable of playing minutes in the NHL maybe in the AHL were the game is bit more to his speed he can do what you think. He may be able to pitch in with a nice play or goal here or there but having him on the ice too much will be a liability esp in the defensive zone and on turnovers because hes simply not quick enough.

We could have really used Avery in these playoffs. Hes small but he is a power forward.

Richards and Gaborik struggles are primarily due to the lack of an ideal linemate for them. Hagelin is not bad, but he's not what they need to do their best. You apparently haven't followed Rupp's career much, because he has always been cycled onto top six lines for periods of time when his teams needed a strong presence to help create space in the offensive zone. He is slow, slower than ever, but that is neutralized by the speed of Gaborik to some degree. Furthermore, in the offensive zone you need space, not necessarily speed. It helps, but Richards needs someone to help do the dirty work. He's not a particularly big or strong guy. It's why he worked so well with Neal.

Rupp should have occasionally played top six minutes, it's part of what makes him a much more versatile option than most players like him. He's a pretty smart player and he has more skill than most players of his ilk.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
If the Sens do win..I'd be hoping for the Devs and Caps to advance...so that the Sens can face Philly and people see what Anderson's stats look like against a real offense.
It doesn't matter to me. I got no ill will to them.

They will get bounced soon enough.

Old
04-22-2012, 09:16 PM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Caps blew it today with a couple of bad giveaways. Sure, they can still win, but they should of won today.

Old
04-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Dorado*

Quote:
That's the funniest thing I've ever heard . CALLY is a helluva little player . Giroux is a highly skilled playmaker and a wizard with the puck .

Old
04-22-2012, 09:45 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Giroux played in the Q which there are a lot of stereotypes about how it's just pond hockey with no defense and physicality. THAT is why the Rangers and many other teams passed on him.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Giroux played in the Q which there are a lot of stereotypes about how it's just pond hockey with no defense and physicality. THAT is why the Rangers and many other teams passed on him.
Yeah I know that much but Crosby , Richards , heck Lafleur et al played in the Q didn't they

Old
04-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Yeah I know that much but Crosby , Richards , heck Lafleur et al played in the Q didn't they
Richards was drafted in the 3rd round. Crosby was drafted from the Q, but he was Crosby.

04-22-2012, 10:08 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

LaFleur played at a different time though, back when there wasn't as much emphasis on D and having a two way game.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Dorado*

Well , no exact science to the draft but the NYR certainly could use a pure offensive playmaker right about now like # 28 on PHI .

Old
04-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Dorado*

I mean NYR picked Duguay and Deblois over Bossy so I should t be shocked over Giroux

Old
04-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
I mean NYR picked Duguay and Deblois over Bossy so I should t be shocked over Giroux
Duguay certainly had the better hair.

Old
04-22-2012, 10:56 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Ok I was bored, from 2003-2009 (go back further if you want that is where I drew the arbitrary line in the sand) here are first rounders from the Q:

2003:
Fleury (Over-picked but still an NHL starter)
S. Bernier (Bottom 6er at best)
M.A. Pouliot (Bust)

2004:
A. Picard (Bust)

2005:
Crosby (Could have developed playing for my High School)
Bourdon (RIP)
Zagrapan (Bust)
Bourret (Bust)

2006:
Brassard (Marginal top-6er)
Sheppard (Bust)
J. Bernier (Jury's out)
Giroux (Stud)
Vishnevski (Bust)

2007:
Voracek (Good top-6er)
MacMillan (Bust)
Esposito (Bust)
Perron (Good top-6er)

2008:
None

2009:
Kulikov (Looking like at least a good top-4 puck mover)
Caron (Jury's out)
Paradis (Jury's out, likely bust)
Despres (Jury's out)

So yes, Giroux and Crosby came from there. But the return rate is less than the +50% you expect from a 1st round pick.

04-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Dorado*

I suppose there are more Alexander Daigle than Giroux that come out of the Q .

He's just one of those players anyway back to NYR
LGR . Really like to see this one get a little physical and uncomfortable . As far as the chess game patience game it's fair to say we have lost 3 of those chess matches thus far .
I'd like to see them start a punch up , run a Karlsson and SPEZZA once and for all , Deal with Chris Neil and see where the cards lay .
Boyle being jumped and beat down an then concussed reaks of Dale Rolfe .... The NYR still haven't lives that one down ...time to make Chris Neil pay and give our games some courage

Old
04-23-2012, 12:10 AM
EssendonBombers
classless

Quote:
I'd like to see them start a punch up , run a Karlsson and SPEZZA once and for all , Deal with Chris Neil and see where the cards lay .
Boyle being jumped and beat down an then concussed reaks of Dale Rolfe .... The NYR still haven't lives that one down ...time to make Chris Neil pay and give our games some courage
I'm fine with you guys wanting to make Neil "pay." You thought it was a dirty play much like Sens fan did with Boyle, but "run Karlsson and Spezza?" Why go after players with nothing to do with the play?

The Sens have really only targetted Boyle. He's the guy that did something wrong in their eyes. They didn't go after Gaborik or Richards in reteliation to someone else stepping out of line, they went after the man himself. Have some balls and go after the perpetrators.

EssendonBombers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:47 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssendonBombers View Post
I'm fine with you guys wanting to make Neil "pay." You thought it was a dirty play much like Sens fan did with Boyle, but "run Karlsson and Spezza?" Why go after players with nothing to do with the play?

The Sens have really only targetted Boyle. He's the guy that did something wrong in their eyes. They didn't go after Gaborik or Richards in reteliation to someone else stepping out of line, they went after the man himself. Have some balls and go after the perpetrators.
They've hit Gaborik late a few times for no apparent reason. Our defenders are also being boarded too often for it to be accidental.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:49 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Richards and Gaborik struggles are primarily due to the lack of an ideal linemate for them. Hagelin is not bad, but he's not what they need to do their best. You apparently haven't followed Rupp's career much, because he has always been cycled onto top six lines for periods of time when his teams needed a strong presence to help create space in the offensive zone. He is slow, slower than ever, but that is neutralized by the speed of Gaborik to some degree. Furthermore, in the offensive zone you need space, not necessarily speed. It helps, but Richards needs someone to help do the dirty work. He's not a particularly big or strong guy. It's why he worked so well with Neal.

Rupp should have occasionally played top six minutes, it's part of what makes him a much more versatile option than most players like him. He's a pretty smart player and he has more skill than most players of his ilk.
Man sorry but i disagree with everything your stating. He may have played top 6 mins in the past buts that the past, the game keeps getting faster. And yes in the cycle hes big but that doesent mean he creates space. He is not a guy i notice as someone who protects the puck very well and when he does it appears he is flat footed.

You make it sound like Gaborik and Richards are not playing well because they dont have a good linemate to play with. This is the furthest thing from the truth. They are weak when the game gets tough and they dont rise to the occassion or havent since ive seen them. I want to hold my tongue because we have a must win tomorrow and i hope they play well but as of now there poor play would happen with any player you put on that wing. In fact Hagelin has been the one to improve there play and they have both gained from playing with him and hopefully will tomorrow. Rupp Decesion making is just not quick enough to play with Gaborik. Richards can be tried with Rupp on another line and than slide Dubi in between Hagelin and Gaborik if anything because atleast if Duby comes to play that top line would be creating every shift.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote