HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bouillon would consider an offer from Montreal

Old
04-22-2012, 02:36 AM
Pr3Va1L

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
We need to add stay at home d-man with size. Poor fit.

Definitely a great stay at home d-man.

And size is a non-factor. He hits harder than most guys twice his size, and then some.

If you'd said "too old" I might have agreed, but I still wish we'd have kept him all this time, perfect bottom pairing d-man.

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:09 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post

And size is a non-factor. He hits harder than most guys twice his size, and then some.

If you'd said "too old" I might have agreed, but I still wish we'd have kept him all this time, perfect bottom pairing d-man.
No we need size. Bouillon may be able to throw the odd big hit but he gets big time manhandled in front of the net. We need a Dman who can clear the front of the net, can lean on forwards and who has a much longer reach than Bouillon.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 06:10 AM
mustardnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Oh, and about those that say don't like/need him and bla bla....

The guy is a regular on a playoff team, something we can't say of ANY of our D's.

Now, he's no more than a 6th/7th guy. But, if anything, he's the kind of guy that you want as a 6th to 8th.

On the other end...

It should be something like : We offer you 800K (at most). You refuse, you don't play for us.
I'm sure Stamkos or Price would be regulars on playoff teams, but they aren't in the playoffs...

Your argument is invalid, a 6th to 7th guy on a playoff team will generally fill the same role on most nhl teams regardless of whether that team is good or not. The thing is, with teh salary cap teams have been drastically more even, there aren't many teams in the NHL with a massive lack of depth and skill. Perhaps columbus.

mustardnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:20 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardnight View Post
I'm sure Stamkos or Price would be regulars on playoff teams, but they aren't in the playoffs...

Your argument is invalid, a 6th to 7th guy on a playoff team will generally fill the same role on most nhl teams regardless of whether that team is good or not. The thing is, with teh salary cap teams have been drastically more even, there aren't many teams in the NHL with a massive lack of depth and skill. Perhaps columbus.
Agree with you for the most part but there are 6th/7th d-men on playoff teams that would be higher on the depth chart on numerous non-playoff teams........just sayin'

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 07:28 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post

While Bouillon is a tough little bugger his lack of size does matter for the same reason that Hal Gills size matters. He has a tiny reach and isn't able to cover passing lanes effectively. He does throw some impressive hits but he requires inertia to do so. When he is static in front of the net he really struggles with bigger/stronger forwards. If he had time to skate to the corner so he could come back and take a run at them he would be a beast but that simply put would be just plain silly

He is a decent bottom pairing guy who plays well against the oppositions bottom lines because they generally aren't skilled enough to sustain pressure in the offensive zone for any extended amount of time. I always liked him but his he is no longer a fit in Montreal.

Old
04-22-2012, 08:11 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
I would love a guy like Stoner or Garrison or Carkner to be signed. If that is not going to happen, then bring up Tinordi to play with Markov and watch Markov help the kid develop the way Komisarek was before he got pounded into a useless chicken by Lucic. The only reason Komisarek was seen as so great was mostly due to Markov, so let him work his magic with Tinordi IF we can not get one of the guys I listed.

Unfortunately, while I loved Bouillon as a Habs player, I think we have to move on and not tie up a roster spot with him. Too bad, to, he is a warrior on the ice and would bring great character to pass along to the young guys.
It was so epic, specifically in how Komi declined abruptly after/from it.

In case you missed it.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
It was so epic, specifically in how Komi declined abruptly after/from it.

In case you missed it.

Even Kessel was laughing at the beating Komisarek took. It takes alot to make that creepy little bugger smile.

Old
04-22-2012, 11:58 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Will someone bid a second rounder for Woe-ber?

No? Then a third rounder? A fourth, perhaps?

If the Habs sign Bouillon they might as well sign Dandenault.
Eh... No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I don't think they're ready yet. Maybe they could be a call-up but I'd rather they play in the AHL for a while first.
Exactly. They NEED to play one year in the AHL, and besides, giving Bouillon's to-be-role to Nathan Beaulieu would make actually no sense at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardnight View Post

A 6th 7th D is actually better than a non-NHL'er, and there were, like, 2 of them taking regular shifts on D last season.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Teufelsdreck

If the plan is for the Habs to rebuild with youth it would be folly to accumulate discarded junk. Bouillon has no place on a rebuilding team. He wouldn't even be of use in securing 8th place in the East. If the fans of other teams are chuckling at the Habs' plight now they'd howl with glee if the Habs put a jersey on Bouillon.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
If the plan is for the Habs to rebuild with youth it would be folly to accumulate discarded junk. Bouillon has no place on a rebuilding team. He wouldn't even be of use in securing 8th place in the East. If the fans of other teams are chuckling at the Habs' plight now they'd howl with glee if the Habs put a jersey on Bouillon.
Bouillon has no place on an NHL team, imo, and hasn't for a while.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Hooligan514

I love Bouillon but I think that his age is enough for us to say no.

Hooligan514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:22 AM
SeriousHabs

1year at league min.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
1year at league min.
Are you wishy-washy? Feebleminded? Unconcerned about improving the Habs? Or do you have a weakness for undersized old Dmen with insufficient wingspread? NO!

Old
04-23-2012, 10:01 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Are you wishy-washy? Feebleminded? Unconcerned about improving the Habs? Or do you have a weakness for undersized old Dmen with insufficient wingspread? NO!
Bouillon is a clear upgrade over Diaz, St-Denis and Weber. He will be cheap and will sign to a 1 year contract. I don't see why signing Bouillon would be against the long-term goal of gaining more size, unless you believe that we will fix our woes in this year's UFA pool. If that is the case, you must be wishy-washy, feebleminded or unconcerned about improving the Habs.

About size: Bouillon plays a bigger game than Kaberle, Diaz, Weber and St-Denis combined.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:09 AM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Bouillon has no place on an NHL team, imo, and hasn't for a while.
I don't like these sorts of blanket statements, especially in this case it is not particularly well-informed. He seems to be doing fairly well for one of the best clubs in the NHL. He plays only 15-16minutes a night, but they are solid minutes and he has battled.

Bouillon, though, doesn't have a place on the Habs because we have no need for depth defensemen. We have 8 NHL-capable defensemen signed already, better question is to how to package some of them for upgrades to round out the top 4.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
I don't like these sorts of uninformed blanket statements. He seems to be doing fairly well for one of the best clubs in the NHL. He plays only 15-16minutes a night, but they are solid minutes and he has battled.

Bouillon, though, doesn't have a place on the Habs because we have no need for depth defensemen. We have 8 NHL-capable defensemen signed already, better question is to how to package some of them for upgrades to round out the top 4.
Call it uninformed ('cause yeah, that's me ) all you like, we can get down into the nitty-gritty of Bouillon if you like. I mean, we can start with how bad of a player you have to be to have a negative +/- on Nashville without holding down the actual hardest minutes against the best opposing players (Corsi/QualComp), or we can talk about how many games he's actually physically able to play each year, or we can talk about his age and the observable difference between his speed/agility/impact between his time in Montreal and now.

But while you decide how deeply you want to get in this with me, I'll leave you Bouillon's injury history for you to use in combination with his games played from hockey reference, just to make sure we're clear about whether or not his size actually is an obstacle or not, and then we can get into the skills, performance metrics, etc... If you're actually willing, of course.

Bouillon's Injury History:

2012/02/02 Missed 3 games (upper body injury).
2012/01/23 Upper body injury, day-to-day.
2011/12/08 Missed 5 games (groin).
2011/11/28 Groin, day-to-day.
2011/10/25 Missed 7 games (post concussion).
2011/10/04 Post concussion, injured reserve.
2011/05/09 Missed the last 37 games of the regular season and all 12 playoff games (upper body injury).
2011/01/31 Upper body injury, injured reserve.
2011/01/18 Upper body injury, day-to-day.
2010/01/11 Missed 1 game (flu).
2010/01/09 Flu, day-to-day.
2009/04/22 Missed 2 playoff games (groin).
2009/04/20 Groin, day-to-day.
2009/04/18 Missed 24 games (groin).
2009/02/21 Groin, sidelined indefinitely.
2008/10/20 Missed 5 games (leg injury).
2008/10/08 Leg injury, sidelined indefinitely.
2008/04/19 Missed the last three games of the regular season and the first five games of Round One against the Boston Bruins (right ankle injury).
2008/04/01 Right ankle injury, day-to-day.
2007/11/08 Missed 4 games (shoulder injury).
2007/10/30 Shoulder injury, day-to-day.
2006/11/22 Missed 19 games (knee surgery).
2006/09/14 Knee surgery, sidelined indefinitely.
2006/04/18 Missed 15 games (ankle injury).
2006/03/20 Ankle injury, sidelined indefinitely.
2006/03/18 Left leg injury, left Saturday's game.
2004/04/01 Missed 1 game (flu).
2004/03/31 Flu, day-to-day.
2004/02/05 Missed 1 game (personal reasons).
2001/02/21 Missed 23 games (sprained ankle).
2000/12/31 Sprained ankle, late February.
2000/12/15 Missed 13 games (hand injury).
2000/11/17 Hand injury, sidelined indefinitely.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 04-23-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old
04-23-2012, 10:28 AM
SeriousHabs

No one is claiming that Bouillon will play top minutes here. An NHL team needs at least 9-10 defensemen in a season. Bouillon can easily be a 6th-8th on this team. He would be a good, cheap depth option for a team that is brutal in defensive depth. Considering that the cap is likely going down, cheap contracts are nothing to laugh at.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Teufelsdreck

Why settle? His low salary? The Habs aren't broke, aren't over the cap. and don't have to buy the cheapest commodity. There will be better Dmen available.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Why settle? His low salary? The Habs aren't broke, aren't over the cap. and don't have to buy the cheapest commodity. There will be better Dmen available.
Basically this.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
If Julien Brisebois gets the job Bouillon might get a contract here

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:33 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Cap will probably go down in the next CBA. We do not have that much cap space, because we give awful contracts to ''better'' players, or we trade for bad contracts. The Habs aren't in a position to take on more multiyear contracts on marginal players. Cheap, 1 year contracts for decent depth players will be better than overpaying and overcommitting for the likes of Sarich or whoever else is available on the UFA market.

Yes, not taking on bigger contracts might land us another last place finish. So be it.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:59 AM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Call it uninformed ('cause yeah, that's me ) all you like, we can get down into the nitty-gritty of Bouillon if you like. I mean, we can start with how bad of a player you have to be to have a negative +/- on Nashville without holding down the actual hardest minutes against the best opposing players (Corsi/QualComp), or we can talk about how many games he's actually physically able to play each year, or we can talk about his age and the observable difference between his speed/agility/impact between his time in Montreal and now.

But while you decide how deeply you want to get in this with me, I'll leave you Bouillon's injury history for you to use in combination with his games played from hockey reference, just to make sure we're clear about whether or not his size actually is an obstacle or not, and then we can get into the skills, performance metrics, etc... If you're actually willing, of course.
Yeah, I think it calling uninformed was a bit harsh so I did edit my post but apparently after your reply. But it's more harsh to say he shouldn't even be in the NHL. I'm well aware that he's injury prone and he's small. But he's carved out a long career and you know full well, if you're familar with Corsi, that he is not even the worst defenseman on the Preds. So unless you're telling me the Preds ice several D who are not fit for the NHL...

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Galaad64

I would rather have Hamerlik back than Bouillon. Also, we have St-Denis that does a good basic job until Tinordi is ready. The problem is Kaberle, it will be difficult to have an experienced defensive dman as long as we have him.

Galaad64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
We have conditioning to overcome. Yes, sure, we have the cap space to sign a couple better defensemen, and we *should* actively be chasing those guys on July 1st.

But, fatalistically, cynically... don't we always end up at more of Campoli-stage of shopping at some point? Those of us saying we wouldn't mind Bouillon... well, it's always assuming we've already missed out on all those better Dmen.

(That said, I'm still a fan of St-Denis, and not so down on Weber as many seem to be, so I'm not reeeeeally sure I'd get to the point of taking Bouillon back...)

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:46 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

i want stoner if only so i can get the shirt for its double meaning.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote