HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best goalie from Minnesota

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2012, 09:32 PM
  #1
Al Lagoon
Registered User
 
Al Lagoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 779
vCash: 50
Best goalie from Minnesota

Watching Quick and Schneider battle it out, and hearing of their New England roots, it made me realize how few good goalies have come from Minnesota.

I think Jack McCartan of the Squaw Valley team, pete LoPresti, Jon Casey, Robb Stauber as Minnesota goalies who've had some success at some level, but why don't we produce goalies like we do other positions?

Am I missing some?

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:33 PM
  #2
Dee Oh Cee
Registered User
 
Dee Oh Cee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Farmington
Country: United States
Posts: 6,381
vCash: 500
Stalock? :shrug:

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:19 PM
  #3
J22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,924
vCash: 500
Going back a few years but Frank Brimsek is the best goalie to come out of Minnesota.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:38 PM
  #4
Vashanesh
My best outfit
 
Vashanesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 2,160
vCash: 500
Goaltending always ends up being the big whiff in the "we could create a full team of Minnesota-born players" game.

I can't think of a single one in this generation.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:47 PM
  #5
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Mike Lee will be our next (I know, we've not produced is this most important of categories) great 'tender, IMO.

I watched him bring the Rams all the way to State and kick butt. He's been awesome for SCSU and won the Gold for the USA National Team IIHF World Juniors.

He is our best hope.


Oh yeah, Coyotes just signed him to a contract as well.

WE NEED A GOOD GOALIE TO ADD TO OUR BEST RECORD OF AMERICA, DANG IT!

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:47 PM
  #6
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,038
vCash: 16145
Frank Brimsek, which was already said. Our goalies usually top out at the college level.

Victorious Secret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:55 PM
  #7
Minnesota
Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 14,871
vCash: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
Mike Lee will be our next (I know, we've not produced is this most important of categories) great 'tender, IMO.

I watched him bring the Rams all the way to State and kick butt. He's been awesome for SCSU and won the Gold for the USA National Team IIHF World Juniors.

He is our best hope.


Oh yeah, Coyotes just signed him to a contract as well.

WE NEED A GOOD GOALIE TO ADD TO OUR BEST RECORD OF AMERICA, DANG IT!
Lee was pretty good with SCSU. As you said, there's also Kangas and Patterson from the U.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:56 PM
  #8
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Rob Stauber is all I really know of otherwise.

The Gophers SHOULD have produced more than a few NHLers, shame on them.

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:18 PM
  #9
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,038
vCash: 16145
Gophers ruined a few good goaltenders.

Victorious Secret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:21 PM
  #10
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
How buried is Stalock on San Jose's depth chart though? Hasn't Sateri or Sexsmith passed him? Also, looking at his stats, was he injured this year? Just 11 games played between 2 AHL and 1 ECHL teams this year.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:22 PM
  #11
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,038
vCash: 16145
Stalock has been passed. He has been spinning his wheels the last 2 years.

Victorious Secret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:26 PM
  #12
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
How buried is Stalock on San Jose's depth chart though? Hasn't Sateri or Sexsmith passed him? Also, looking at his stats, was he injured this year? Just 11 games played between 2 AHL and 1 ECHL teams this year.
Yeah he got cut by a skate last year and had nerve damage which took him out for close to a year.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:57 PM
  #13
forthewild
Registered User
 
forthewild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Lee was pretty good with SCSU. As you said, there's also Kangas and Patterson from the U.
pretty much done for, plus i scored on him his/mine sophomore year when we played JV, 5 hole baby.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:00 AM
  #14
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,038
vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
pretty much done for, plus i scored on him his/mine sophomore year when we played JV, 5 hole baby.
overrated. It was a PP. Lighting was off. He had sweat in his eyes. His second-cousin recently got in a car crash and he was worried for his/her safety. He was a liability in net back then.

Victorious Secret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:08 AM
  #15
forthewild
Registered User
 
forthewild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
overrated. It was a PP. Lighting was off. He had sweat in his eyes. His second-cousin recently got in a car crash and he was worried for his/her safety. He was a liability in net back then.
actually he was a masssssive sieve as a 10th grader, he did get a great deal better from then on tho.

guess getting schooled by me shamed him, maybe i ought to get an ECHL contract.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:30 AM
  #16
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3
 
SphinX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,522
vCash: 500
Jordan Parise is somewhat decent..

SphinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:46 AM
  #17
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,038
vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
actually he was a masssssive sieve as a 10th grader, he did get a great deal better from then on tho.

guess getting schooled by me shamed him, maybe i ought to get an ECHL contract.
You'd think you'd at least get that much. I don't know who was scouting that game. But they definitely lost their job.

Victorious Secret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:22 AM
  #18
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
pretty much done for, plus i scored on him his/mine sophomore year when we played JV, 5 hole baby.
He ACTUALLY was junior varsity????

I thought pretty much any 'tender that went DI was always a stud that started varsity since minimum freshman/sophomore.

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 08:24 AM
  #19
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
I thought pretty much any 'tender that went DI was always a stud that started varsity since minimum freshman/sophomore.
Stalock was pretty thoroughly average at South St. Paul...

__________________

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:54 AM
  #20
vitogor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Minnesota
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,588
vCash: 500
I've decided to do a little research on this. Here's every single Minnesota-born goalie to play at least one game in the NHL (in alphabetical order):

Adam Berkhoel (St. Paul) - 9 games in 2005-2006 (Thrashers)
Frank Brimsek (Eveleth) - 514 games in 1938-1950 (Bruins, Blackhawks)
Jon Casey (Grand Rapids) - 425 games in 1983-1997 (North Stars, Bruins, Blues)
John Curry (Shorewood) - 4 games in 2008-2010 (Penguins)
Chad Erickson (Minneapolis) - 2 games in 1991-1992 (Devils)
Adam Hauser (Bovey) - 1 game in 2005-2006 (Kings)
Steve Janaszak (St. Paul) - 3 games in 1979-1982 (North Stars, Rockies)
Mike Karakas (Aurora) - 336 games in 1935-1946 (Blackhawks, Canadiens)
Pete LoPresti (Virginia) - 175 games in 1974-1981 (North Stars, Oilers)
Sam Lopresti (Elcor) - 74 games in 1940-1942 (Blackhawks)
Bob Mason (Int'l Falls) - 145 games in 1983-1991 (Capitals, Blackhawks, Nordiques, Canucks)
Jack McCartan (St. Paul) - 12 games in 1959-1961 (Rangers). Also played 42 games over 3 seasons for the Fighting Saints in the WHA.
Damian Rhodes (St. Paul) - 309 games in 1990-2002 (Maple Leafs, Senators, Thrashers)
Alex Stalock (South St. Paul) - 1 game in 2010-2011 (Sharks)
Robb Stauber (Duluth) - 62 games in 1989-1995 (Kings, Sabres)
Jim Watt (Duluth) - 1 game in 1973-1974 (Blues)

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:37 AM
  #21
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,038
vCash: 16145
I went to a few rob stauber camps. Totally forgot about rhodes being from minnesota.

Victorious Secret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:11 PM
  #22
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I went to a few rob stauber camps. Totally forgot about rhodes being from minnesota.
Did you have to wear the StauBar? Looked around the web and couldn't find any pictures. Must not have worked out all that well...

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:13 PM
  #23
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitogor View Post
I've decided to do a little research on this. Here's every single Minnesota-born goalie to play at least one game in the NHL (in alphabetical order):

Adam Berkhoel (St. Paul) - 9 games in 2005-2006 (Thrashers)
Frank Brimsek (Eveleth) - 514 games in 1938-1950 (Bruins, Blackhawks)
Jon Casey (Grand Rapids) - 425 games in 1983-1997 (North Stars, Bruins, Blues)
John Curry (Shorewood) - 4 games in 2008-2010 (Penguins)
Chad Erickson (Minneapolis) - 2 games in 1991-1992 (Devils)
Adam Hauser (Bovey) - 1 game in 2005-2006 (Kings)
Steve Janaszak (St. Paul) - 3 games in 1979-1982 (North Stars, Rockies)
Mike Karakas (Aurora) - 336 games in 1935-1946 (Blackhawks, Canadiens)
Pete LoPresti (Virginia) - 175 games in 1974-1981 (North Stars, Oilers)
Sam Lopresti (Elcor) - 74 games in 1940-1942 (Blackhawks)
Bob Mason (Int'l Falls) - 145 games in 1983-1991 (Capitals, Blackhawks, Nordiques, Canucks)
Jack McCartan (St. Paul) - 12 games in 1959-1961 (Rangers). Also played 42 games over 3 seasons for the Fighting Saints in the WHA.
Damian Rhodes (St. Paul) - 309 games in 1990-2002 (Maple Leafs, Senators, Thrashers)
Alex Stalock (South St. Paul) - 1 game in 2010-2011 (Sharks)
Robb Stauber (Duluth) - 62 games in 1989-1995 (Kings, Sabres)
Jim Watt (Duluth) - 1 game in 1973-1974 (Blues)

Well done.


Seems like a VEEEEEEERY short list considering all the talent we have produced over the years. I really want Lee to do BIG things though and there are a couple others I have my eye on in the WCHA at the current time.

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:22 PM
  #24
Al Lagoon
Registered User
 
Al Lagoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 779
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
Well done.


Seems like a VEEEEEEERY short list considering all the talent we have produced over the years. I really want Lee to do BIG things though and there are a couple others I have my eye on in the WCHA at the current time.
Agreed, well done.

Agreed, ridiculously short list: seems like quite an anomaly.

Is it because there are fewer opportunities for goalies than position players, especially those that go the high school route?

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:36 PM
  #25
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
Agreed, well done.

Agreed, ridiculously short list: seems like quite an anomaly.

Is it because there are fewer opportunities for goalies than position players, especially those that go the high school route?
You know what, I thought about it and America in general has never produced particularly great goalies. I think even Europe has us beat in that category. Check out this link of all-time great US born goalies:

http://*******************/articles/...istory/page/10


651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.