HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

John Scott

Old
04-23-2012, 12:23 AM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
Damn I wish the BoogieMan was around for these games!
Yes, his presence from the press box and/or opening and closing the bench doors on line changes would be fierce!

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:05 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Yes, his presence from the press box and/or opening and closing the bench doors on line changes would be fierce!
Two questions for you:

1. Do you actually watch the games?

2. If you do, do you actually understand the game?

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:27 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Two questions for you:

1. Do you actually watch the games?

2. If you do, do you actually understand the game?
Funny, I used to wonder the same things about you. Your posting history indicates a resounding no, especially to #2.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:42 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Funny, I used to wonder the same things about you. Your posting history indicates a resounding no, especially to #2.
Coming from you, I take that as a compliment...because you clearly have no idea of what is going on.

Old
04-23-2012, 09:42 AM
varanger94

I've been saying that Torts should Roll four lines. I know he's not going to. So why not put in Scott. He can take out Cartner and Rupp can take out Neil. I doubt Neil will want to tangle with Rupp. He likes to fight guys like Hagalin. After reading these posts, I want it even more.

varanger94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:43 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

I wish Alexei Cherepanov was playing for our team...He would have scored goals all by himself. RIP

poeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:55 AM
eco's bones

There are at least a couple ways we can look at this--but seriously Neil doesn't fight Scott unless Scott gives him no choice because there is no other reason to. His team is in the driver's seat. He is a much better player. Why **** with all that? We all nodded our heads when Rupp told Shelley to forget it--he wasn't worth his time. Same thing here. Scott literally would have to go after Ottawa's better players--and his skating isn't all that good and referees look hard at that stuff. He's likely to get tossed--if not fined and suspended and we're going to have to kill some penalties and without one of our better face-off/penalty killing guys in Boyle. We're also fighting for survival now. Revenge is nice but revenge just might kill us too.

OTOH IMO this team has not been able to find another gear--and losing Boyle hurts. We've been looking kind of ordinary in this series and one has to wonder whether this team will have what it takes to go much farther even if we get past Ottawa.

Personally though you go with your best lineup possible. I don't think Scott makes it past 13th forward so IMO he should sit some more. Leave Henrik to do what Henrik does best and we still have a decent chance. Giving Ottawa extra pwp's not a very sensible way to approach tonight's game.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
This board is a absolute joke!!! not many understand the importance of not being bullied and most importantly on home ice in front of your fans.. Scott taking the extra 2 mins in a fight with Carkner or Neil is nothing compared to the impact of watching the ultimate team guy like Boyle laying on the ice with a season ending head injury. The Nhl allows fighting and thus having one that is the best at it is a major factor. Neil is a ******* that has gone unchallenged by anyone on this roster that alone makes me sick but add in the injury and the fact he won a game in Ot makes me want to puke.. 95% of the people on this board are so passive and hippie like it hurts. what next 2 hand touch in the NFL because the collisions are to violent ? Now the Rangers get knocked out and we have to sit here and hope Boyle is ok for next year and I know Neil could and may have thrown that hit anyway but Scott running Spezza and getting suspended wouldn't hurt the Rangers at all.
I agree. The Rangers are tough physically and mentally (for a different discussion), and they need to play like they have all year: tough and gritty.

Scott should be in today's game. If he fights Neil, it's a good trade off. Neil's been a factor. Have to get him out of the game. Likewise with Konopka. We know how he's been in the faceoff circle. The Rangers need a fire sparked. Get physical and rough with discipline or have Ottawa take matching penalties. The boys got bullied and initimidated and it shows.

Mitchell hasn't done anything. Scott gives you fighting and intimidation if he lets his presence known early, which, in my opinion, needs to be done.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Baby Punisher

I don't even think Scott has to fight. He just needs to lay out Spezza or Alfredson if he plays early in the game & that will set the tone.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:28 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
I don't even think Scott has to fight. He just needs to lay out Spezza or Alfredson if he plays early in the game & that will set the tone.
That implies that he'd actually be able to catch either of them. There's a reason guys like Scott are being phased out of the league.

clmetsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:44 AM
mullichicken25

what this team really needs is a 3rd string goalie who's willing to throw down and fight for his team mates

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Coming from you, I take that as a compliment...because you clearly have no idea of what is going on.
I know well enough that blaming Lundqvist and pining for John Scott as some sort of answer is just about as wrong as one can be when analyzing this series.

Old
04-23-2012, 01:12 PM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
He's also the most useless Ranger ever.
Igor Ulanov, and Rich Pilon were pretty useless as well...... just sayin.

Oh and who can forget the "great" Dale Purinton...

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:22 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
What Carkner did to Boyle is childish. All you had to do was look at Boyle's reaction when the dust settled a little bit. Not only was he laughing it off when they sent Carkner off the ice, he came back that game and scored a goal.

I don't feel like it bothered the Rangers as much as it energized the Senators. I don't feel that a number one seed that hasn't really fed off thuggery like that all year save perhaps the incident against New Jersey where the game opened with a line brawl.

The Rangers need to focus on sticking to their game. If they want to go out and try to answer to something as stupid as what Carkner did, they're not going to succeed, and they're actually going to look a lot worse.
I agree with this. Boyle clearly wasn't bothered by this, but it definitely energized the Sens, and many are pointing to this as a turning point in the series, especially if the Sens go on to win it.

At first we joked that we (Sens fans) wanted Scott to play because he's slow and useless, but the more I think about it, the Rangers maybe should have played him. I mean Carkner only played 39 seconds in game 2, yet he he had a huge impact on the game and the series. Surely Scott can get away with 3-4 mins and do something to energize the Rangers in game 3 or 4. Its not like you guys are playing the 4th line more than that as it is anyways... However, I think it might be too late to play him now, the tide has turned, and you can't afford a potential 5min PK in an elimination game.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:35 PM
TankLarkin
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
I agree. The Rangers are tough physically and mentally (for a different discussion), and they need to play like they have all year: tough and gritty.

Scott should be in today's game. If he fights Neil, it's a good trade off. Neil's been a factor. Have to get him out of the game. Likewise with Konopka. We know how he's been in the faceoff circle. The Rangers need a fire sparked. Get physical and rough with discipline or have Ottawa take matching penalties. The boys got bullied and initimidated and it shows.

Mitchell hasn't done anything. Scott gives you fighting and intimidation if he lets his presence known early, which, in my opinion, needs to be done.
this should have happened in game 4 or five. Torts missed the boat on putting Scott in. I guess John Mitchell has something on his Coach. Dirty pics or something

TankLarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
I see this subject littered with stuff like this and it shows an alarming lack of understanding regarding the game and matchups.

1. John Scott couldnt catch Alfredsson or Spezza in a phone booth, what makes you think he'd be able to do it on a hockey rink?

2. If John Scott, who I hope we can all agree cannot play the game of hockey, is out there against Spezza/Alfredsson, thats a bit of a problem dont you think?

Old
04-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
I see this subject littered with stuff like this and it shows an alarming lack of understanding regarding the game and matchups.

1. John Scott couldnt catch Alfredsson or Spezza in a phone booth, what makes you think he'd be able to do it on a hockey rink?

2. If John Scott, who I hope we can all agree cannot play the game of hockey, is out there against Spezza/Alfredsson, thats a bit of a problem dont you think?
We just need to catch up to neil or carkner who have run us ragged..but who cares about that.

It's all Hanks fault anyway

Old
04-23-2012, 01:51 PM
TankLarkin
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I guess Sather never saw any tape before getting him...

Old
04-23-2012, 01:53 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankLarkin View Post
I guess Sather never saw any tape before getting him...
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened when Sather signed Wade Redden, so why assume that anything has changed?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:57 PM
TKG
Registered Excuser

Scott could catch Alfie or Spezza if they are sitting on the bench... He could just skate over and cheapie one them like Carkner did to Boyle.

And better yet, do it while Neil is on the ice, and we could see what kind of paper lion he really is.

And all you whiners crying we would have to kill off a penalty, who gives a **** we've been better on the PK than on PP or evens.

F* it 5 minutes WELL worth it.

TKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 01:59 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by varanger94 View Post
I've been saying that Torts should Roll four lines. I know he's not going to. So why not put in Scott. He can take out Cartner and Rupp can take out Neil. I doubt Neil will want to tangle with Rupp. He likes to fight guys like Hagalin. After reading these posts, I want it even more.
I don't mean to bring reason into this conversation but

You're talking like we aren't on the brink of elimination and that we need to go out and "Penguin" it up instead of focusing on winning the game. I could care less about Carkner and Neil; if we go out and play physical things will take care of themselves. I don't know why there's this feeling that we need to go "take out" certain players. If we win the next two games those players will be "taken out" for the rest of the playoffs. If we spend next game worrying where Carkner and Neil are, I'm positive that Michalek, Spezza, Karlsson and Alfredsson will be the ones with the last laugh, not us.

From a fan base that saw how an agitator like Sean Avery can open things up for other players, or when teams actually focus on a goon like Derek Boogaard (Wild game?) can do the same thing, and also how irrelevant they can be if they're ignored, it blows my mind that you don't want to ignore them and rather do exactly what they want you to do.

And for the record, Neil has fought Rupp at least once in his career, and while I hardly like the guy, he usually goes out of his weight class to fight BIGGER guys, not guys like "Hagalin". And Neil challenged Rupp IN THIS SERIES in game one when they both received misconducts.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:13 PM
TankLarkin
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

You're talking like we aren't on the brink of elimination and that we need to go out and "Penguin" it up instead of focusing on winning the game. I could care less about Carkner and Neil; if we go out and play physical things will take care of themselves. I don't know why there's this feeling that we need to go "take out" certain players. If we win the next two games those players will be "taken out" for the rest of the playoffs. If we spend next game worrying where Carkner and Neil are, I'm positive that Michalek, Spezza, Karlsson and Alfredsson will be the ones with the last laugh, not us.

From a fan base that saw how an agitator like Sean Avery can open things up for other players, or when teams actually focus on a goon like Derek Boogaard (Wild game?) can do the same thing, and also how irrelevant they can be if they're ignored, it blows my mind that you don't want to ignore them and rather do exactly what they want you to do.

And for the record, Neil has fought Rupp at least once in his career, and while I hardly like the guy, he usually goes out of his weight class to fight BIGGER guys, not guys like "Hagalin". And Neil challenged Rupp IN THIS SERIES in game one when they both received misconducts.
Carkner, Konopka and Neil changed the direction of the series. McLean didn't seem too bothered by Carkner's 5 min Major. We never answered the bell. I agree, though -- too late now.

Old
04-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankLarkin View Post
Carkner, Konopka and Neil changed the direction of the series. McLean didn't seem too bothered by Carkner's 5 min Major. We never answered the bell. I agree, though -- too late now.
Sorry to be blunt, but thats a bunch of ********.

The Rangers went out and won game 3 after the free for all that was game 2.

If you think the Rangers are down 3-2 because they havent "answered the bell" or "taken out" the opposition, your thinking is just wrong.

Old
04-23-2012, 02:36 PM
BigDaddyNYR
Calgary Flames GM

Quote:

Nothing more needs to be said in this thread after this. Preach!!!

BigDaddyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Good post - should be required reading for anyone *****ing about John Scott not playing, provided they are able to read multiple paragraphs.